Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Prime Build (CC Discharge)

Circle_of_Psi

Question

Hay Fokes

So, I've been busy with Volt Prime, building him for a Discharge CC Build, where he will be mostly useing his Shock/Discharge & Shield for his build, this build will be a negative strg build, as all his Discharge power deals very little damage to begin with, along with shock. This build will be aimed for high Duration & Range, with some good Efficiency. This will make the hostiles hit by the Telsa colis to last longer and remain the coil for long as possbile. His shock will be high chain link, to stun people longer and more people.

However I might need some help with this, as I am not 100% sure, so please feel free to bring up any tips or such, but please remain cvil, any uncvi comments willl be ingored and reported.

Here is the build as of so far (Click the pic for bigger one): Warframe0010.jpg

Note: His aura will be chanaged to EP & his Elxis will have Cunning Drift for more range.

However, I am unsure if I whuold need Srg, as alot of people said, that his powers are mostly CC then rather pure damage, but shuold I get atlest some Srg in there or shuold I not bother and keep going for mroe Range/Dur and Effic?

Thank You

Legion

Edited by LegionCynex

15 answers to this question

Try this. As far as I know the damage cap on Discharge is not effected by Power Strength so having a negative power strength can be of benefit for keeping them locked down.

Volt does have better Shields than Health, but there are certain effects like Toxin or Bleed that can bypass your shields, and on a CC-focused build surviving those might be more useful than having a greater shield count. YMMV.

Volt's Discharge Health Cap is indeed affected by Power Strength.

Reducing your power Strength will have no positive effect on the CC duration. The  thing that has a huge effect is armor and Sorties elemental resistance. At base Power your ticks will consume roughly 11% of the Health cap each. At  294% they will consume 11% of the Health Cap each. You will generally never get the full effect duration on unarmored enemies regardless of your Power Strength. At best you'll get about 8 seconds.

Discharge is incredibly unreliable. It will hold longer on higher armor enemies while releasing lower armored ones early. It will also release enemies quicker if they're closer to others and being shocked by more nearby Tesla.

Discharged is prolly the most obnoxiously designed ability in the game. There's really nothing you can do with it in terms of modding and it uses Power Range where as non of Volt's other abilities really need it.

Edited by Xzorn

is Narrow Minded really necessary ? Wouldn't it be better to mod for pure range and just recast when the CC is done with max power efficiency ? You don't really need to keep a duration too high, because you can use the CC range with an already comfy duration to reposition yourself, start to kill, cast electric shield when the duration is about to expire and cast dishcharge again. It's less comfy than having a 25 seconds CC of course, but it allows more versatility. It's also a bit more interesting to play than just spamming 4.

I'd more try this : http://goo.gl/mJ39G2

The issue with a CC build is that it messes up Speed pretty harshly for the sake of CCing as strong as you can. This is why I'd more pick a strenght based build or a balanced build for Volt, but this one can do the job nicely. You might be surprised by the presence of Transient Fortitude that pumps on your power duration. Actually that mod is here in order to keep your Speed power useful. Though Discharge will only last around 12 seconds, it's way enough to clear up the map : indeed, you won't be alone, and Electric Shield is here to give you an impressive boost to your weapon damage (as long as you pack a weapon with a decent critical rate). If you're not happy with Transient Fortitude, you can use Capacitance (the additional range will allow you to pump shields from much more targets, offsetting the power strenght issue), Intensify (if you still wish to use Speed), Handspring or another mobility mod (I personally love Maglev). You can also replace Cunning Drift if you want : loosing 15% of power range shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

26 minutes ago, D20 said:

is Narrow Minded really necessary ? Wouldn't it be better to mod for pure range and just recast when the CC is done with max power efficiency ? You don't really need to keep a duration too high, because you can use the CC range with an already comfy duration to reposition yourself, start to kill, cast electric shield when the duration is about to expire and cast dishcharge again. It's less comfy than having a 25 seconds CC of course, but it allows more versatility. It's also a bit more interesting to play than just spamming 4.

I'd more try this : http://goo.gl/mJ39G2

The issue with a CC build is that it messes up Speed pretty harshly for the sake of CCing as strong as you can. This is why I'd more pick a strenght based build or a balanced build for Volt, but this one can do the job nicely. You might be surprised by the presence of Transient Fortitude that pumps on your power duration. Actually that mod is here in order to keep your Speed power useful. Though Discharge will only last around 12 seconds, it's way enough to clear up the map : indeed, you won't be alone, and Electric Shield is here to give you an impressive boost to your weapon damage (as long as you pack a weapon with a decent critical rate). If you're not happy with Transient Fortitude, you can use Capacitance (the additional range will allow you to pump shields from much more targets, offsetting the power strenght issue), Intensify (if you still wish to use Speed), Handspring or another mobility mod (I personally love Maglev). You can also replace Cunning Drift if you want : loosing 15% of power range shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

Heh, thanks D20, good to see you also, I had a feeling you might poke your head in. I might just out-right use this build, as this is ideally what I want in mind before. However a few things to ask. I;m unsure if your a Volt main (I can only judge by your pic) but in any case: First of all I'll rephrase what I'm after:

The type of build I'm looking for is to make Capacitance as strong as possbile, along with a good CC (to keep mobs in Tesla Coils), I'm not too fussy about speed, as I only use it for the Weapon reload buff & meele buff (Speed I only use if I need to zip closer to my team, as I hate going too quickly, slide all over the place). Along with this I indeed to want to make it more versatility, rather then just spamming 4 (Press 4 to win).

So in order to do that, I try to make a good Cap/Disgahate build, along with good Elc shield and Shock, as these are the powers I use alot. so with that being said.

The build you have provided here, I;ll jump down some qeastions:

1. How powerful will Capacitance Be?: I look to make this as strong as possbile, to get high Overshields.

2. In terms of damage, how much whuold this too?, as I kown that none of his powers are not great in damage dealing, but still worth to rise a brow.

3. How long is the Tesla-Coil Stun for?, ideal its to lock-down a few mobs, and then shock them or kill them with my weapon (I use a bolter prime, but I can change to the Soma Prime)

Lastly, as I already formed 2 Ds in (replaced a Y) how will I shape my build around? (Note: I will have a high shield mod, cuz his shields are insane)

54 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

Volt's Discharge Health Cap is indeed affected by Power Strength.

Reducing your power Strength will have no positive effect on the CC duration. The  thing that has a huge effect is armor and Sorties elemental resistance. Your damage per tick cannot be reduced below the base value so by going lower in Power Strength you're only lowering the Health cap. At base Power your ticks will consume roughly 5% of the Health cap each. At  294% they will consume 11% of the Health Cap each.

Discharge is incredibly unreliable though. It will hold longer on higher armor enemies while releasing lower armored ones early. It will also release enemies quicker if they're closer to others and being shocked by more nearby Tesla.

Discharged is prolly the most obnoxiously designed ability in the game. There's really nothing you can do with it in terms of modding and it uses Power Range where as non of Volt's other abilities really need it.

I see, that is the issue with his rework, but I;ll try my best, D20 is pretty much on point here  

4 minutes ago, LegionCynex said:

I see, that is the issue with his rework, but I;ll try my best, D20 is pretty much on point here  

Oh I changed a part of that, I checked again and it seems the ticks are 11% no matter what you're Power Strength is.

I just keep my solo Volt at base Power Range with Capacitance. If you want Discharge CC specialized, his build seems good. I couldn't get it in any way I was happy with.

I mostly use a 195% Strength 226% Duration Shock Trooper Support Build with groups. +245% Electric + 200% crit damage to anyone shooting through a shield.

@LegionCynex

I can't reply to your questions yet because actually tested the build I suggested to you (actually in order to reply to your question). Sadly I discovered that it was actually pretty terrible. :/

The reduction in power strenght means that the power and damage cap on discharge will be diminished. In a way, it's fine since  the damage is reduced as well so you still don't reach the damage cap that fast. However, tesla coil range is greatly increased due to the huge power range buff you pull out. As a result, CCing a group will make the whole crowd react between in a massive way, threatening a lot the CC duration since you'll reach the damage cap much faster.

I tried to modify the build with more power strenght (going back to 100%) : the result didn't changed that much (and it's actually pretty logic). The CC duration is still fairly short. Coming back to my Power Strenght build my CC duration was pretty similar on crowds though I tend to leave much more lone CCed targets since the range of the tesla coil effect is reduced. However, the CC from Discharge is still a potential life saver since it'll CC targets longer and much more efficiently than Shock does, so there's still a good point about using it. You'll also keep armored target CCed a bit longer thanks to their damage reduction.

At this point, I just think that sadly Volt is ill suited for the task of crowd control. If you want to play Volt as a crowd control frame, you'll sadly never perform as nice as a CC based frame does. However, Electric Shield is still extremely potent to avoid damage.

You might find what I said disappointing. But well, I am as disappointed as you are. However playing Volt like a team buffer is still extremely viable and powerful.

I can only answer to your question about Capacitance so far : with my power strenght build (+200% power strenght), I can get back from around 700 shields to full overshields with only 5 non-armored targets caught in Discharge, which is pretty darn powerful. With the same number of targets and only 40% power strenght, casting Discharge will give me around 800 shields, which is pretty decent.

EDIT : if you want to play Volt in a decent way, you really need to pull out a crit based weapon, or at least pack an Adarza Kavat with you. Electric shield multiplies your critical damage multiplier by 200% which is incredibly strong ! Not packing a crit based weapon with you or not using electric shield is like cutting your potential DPS in half. Considering this, it's probably wiser to switch your Boltor Prime for a Soma Prime.

10 minutes ago, D20 said:

@LegionCynex

-snip-

Thanks for this D20, so with that being said, I think I'll leave the CC for the other frames then, and make Volt a  "team buffer" as you said its still extremely viable and powerful. so to provide a lots of Overshields I whuold assume. Along with the Speed Buffer (Shocking Speed) as well, along with the Shock Trooper buffer. (So he'll be a pure Team-Buffer build)

So how will this play out then?

26 minutes ago, LegionCynex said:

Thanks for this D20, so with that being said, I think I'll leave the CC for the other frames then, and make Volt a  "team buffer" as you said its still extremely viable and powerful. so to provide a lots of Overshields I whuold assume. Along with the Speed Buffer (Shocking Speed) as well, along with the Shock Trooper buffer. (So he'll be a pure Team-Buffer build)

So how will this play out then?

Pretty much like this :

• Handspring | Constitution
  • Transient Fortitude
  • Intensify
  • Redirection
  • Fleeting Expertize (rank 4)
  • Streamline (rank 4)
  • Capacitance
  • Primed continuity
  • EXILUS : Power drift

My build has negative duration because I can do well with a bit less duration, but if you don't like it you can replace handspring with constitution. This will set your power dration back to around 100%.

While the build is focused on power strenght, it's the most versatile you can get. Every powers are useful, Speed is just even more powerful and can effectively double you and your allies' melee DPS (like how Electric Shield can effectively double your DPS on a crit weapon). Even if you are not melee focused, bring a Redeemer on the battlefield. With this + Speed's increased buff, you'll be able to spam it like there's no tomorrow. 

You can also use speed to increase your fire rate with bows like Dread, Paris/Prime and Cernos/Rakta/Mutalist, as well as any weapon using a single ammunition in its clip. It can be fun and effective.

24 minutes ago, D20 said:

Pretty much like this :

• Handspring | Constitution
  • Transient Fortitude
  • Intensify
  • Redirection
  • Fleeting Expertize (rank 4)
  • Streamline (rank 4)
  • Capacitance
  • Primed continuity
  • EXILUS : Power drift

My build has negative duration because I can do well with a bit less duration, but if you don't like it you can replace handspring with constitution. This will set your power dration back to around 100%.

While the build is focused on power strenght, it's the most versatile you can get. Every powers are useful, Speed is just even more powerful and can effectively double you and your allies' melee DPS (like how Electric Shield can effectively double your DPS on a crit weapon). Even if you are not melee focused, bring a Redeemer on the battlefield. With this + Speed's increased buff, you'll be able to spam it like there's no tomorrow. 

You can also use speed to increase your fire rate with bows like Dread, Paris/Prime and Cernos/Rakta/Mutalist, as well as any weapon using a single ammunition in its clip. It can be fun and effective.

I'll see what I can do