Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steel Fiber

ChromeKat

Question

I know Steel Fiber doubles a frame's armor, and it should be used on those high armored ones like valkyr, inaros etc. I'm currently trying Oberon and since he has 150 armor, should I put steel fiber on him? And what is the minimum armor amount in which you guys would put steel fiber in a frame?

15 answers to this question

It can be a useful add. Especially if you are hitting missions where enemies can constantly break your shields. Just keep in mind that while Oberon has more base armor than he used to, 150 is still sorta low - that is why Frost had his increased from 150 to 190 and then 190 to 300! Which Steel Fiber, Oberon will have around 310 armor which puts him in the same class as Frost without Steel Fiber. For a warframe like Oberon that is more of a front or mixed range Paladin, you will likely be taking hits, Rage will be a good option in those cases while Equilibrium might be more useful for builds that focus more on power strength and not absorbing enemy fire.

Personally, if a Warframes' base armor is 150 or higher, I would use Steel Fiber (which is +110% armor when maxed.) If their armor is over 350, I'd stack it with Armored Agility.

The twist is, with certain damage types, your effective armor can be readily negated.

Player armor (Warframe armor) is classed as Ferrite armor, which is weak to Corrosive (+75% damage), Puncture (+50% damage) and Toxin (+25% damage) damage types.

11 minutes ago, Urlan said:

It can be a useful add. Especially if you are hitting missions where enemies can constantly break your shields. Just keep in mind that while Oberon has more base armor than he used to, 150 is still sorta low - that is why Frost had his increased from 150 to 190 and then 190 to 300! Which Steel Fiber, Oberon will have around 310 armor which puts him in the same class as Frost without Steel Fiber. For a warframe like Oberon that is more of a front or mixed range Paladin, you will likely be taking hits, Rage will be a good option in those cases while Equilibrium might be more useful for builds that focus more on power strength and not absorbing enemy fire.

Also his 4th has a 50% chance of dropping hp orbs making equilibrium that much more useful. 

Yea I use Rage on Oberon since I always end up right in front of a gunfire, so would Steel Fiber be viable for frames with around 100 or less?

I also don't find equilibrium that effective, since you can't really kill much in high levels to get those orbs and I feel that renewal heals faster.

Steel Fiber is less about the base armor and more about the frame's abilities.

Rhino and Frost use Steel Fiber because their abilities are attached to it. Chroma and Valkyr (non-hysteria) use it because they're melee frames with little CC capacity and happen to have ability multipliers for armor to stack it.

Steel Fiber really isn't worth using on majority of frames, despite their armor value.

Edited by Xzorn

Here's how damage negation is calculated:

Armor/(600+armor)

So an unmodded oberon will negate 150/750 (20%) damage while the one with still fiber will negate about 34% of the damage.

Is it worth it? Up to you!

Also if you are using oberon, I'd recommend you try the health conversion mod, it's awesome.

5 hours ago, Xzorn said:

Steel Fiber is less about the base armor and more about the frame's abilities.

Rhino and Frost use Steel Fiber because their abilities are attached to it. Chroma and Valkyr (non-hysteria) use it because they're melee frames with little CC capacity and happen to have ability multipliers for armor to stack it.

Steel Fiber really isn't worth using on majority of frames, despite their armor value.

Wait, what? I have been away for a while, when did this come into effect? I guess I got to go back to the wiki and check each of my frames again. Just when I thought I got my head around all the new changes...lol

18 minutes ago, mikami666134 said:

health conversion

Dunno, to make the most out of Health Conversion, you need to
1. keep taking Health damage
2. keep killing lotsa enemies with Reckoning

The former is something I'd rather avoid (see my previous post)
while the latter gets much less reliable the higher enemy levels get
(plus, as long as you can one-shot stuff with Reckoning ... you don't really need Armor, heh).

If you do want a sturdy "Rambo" Broberon (Ramberon? Brombo?) then
having a safety net via Quick Thinking in a Rage + Primed Flow setup
(along with Vitality + Steel Fiber and / or Armored Agility) would be my suggestion.

I usually find with my messing around, that at lower levels shields are worth their weight and at higher levels armor becomes more important as shields can't really block anything as they have no armor based damage reduction. One thing to keep in mind is that if damage is in excess of your shields, you will often take the difference as unresistable damage to your life bypassing your armor as shields don't have the armor to resist the damage with. Its a glitch that has been around a while and is a major pain but you can build around it to an extent or at least prepare for the pain train. Inaros since he has no shields is usually immune to this glitch unless given over-shields. Another thing to keep in mind is as said by others, our warframe's armor is weak against certain types of damage;  Tar moa for example, will be a hated enemy to a build with lower shields.

So far I think I might use steel fiber on oberon since like someone mentioned, I have a bad habit of going rambo so I guess steel fiber can help me cover my mistakes abit. I already use rage on my build at the moment.

And I usually use reckoning as a quick CC since I also feel it's damage falls off too much in high levels for health conversion and at least the radiation proc can get some gunfires away.