Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Older Primes V.S. Newer Primes - Design Changes

OnTarasMind

So recently, I've gotten some of the older prime frames(Ember, Mag, Frost) and I have to say, as compared to some of the more recent prime frames, they don't really seem that different from their non-prime variants, other than the gold and some minor changes in the mesh here and there. Because of this, I want to ask something - Should the older prime frames get re-designs to help them fit into the newer prime frames, and so they aren't as similar to their non-prime counterparts?

For those of you who want a comparison of the prime frames to their non-prime counterparts, here they are.

Frost

Spoiler

Frost Prime

FrostPrimeNewLook.png

Frost 

FrostNewLook.png

Mag

Spoiler

Mag Prime

MagPrimeNewLook.png

Mag

MagNewLook.png

Ember

Spoiler

Ember Prime

EmberPrimeNewLook.png

Ember

EmberNewLook.png

Now, for some more recent prime frames for comparison on the design difference between the prime and normal counterpart

Saryn

Spoiler

Saryn Prime

SarynPrimeLarge.png

Saryn

SarynNewLook.png

Trinity

Spoiler

Trinity Prime

TrinityPrimeMain.png

Trinity

TrinityNewLook.png

Vauban

Spoiler

Vauban Prime

VaubanPrimeNewLook.png

Vauban

VaubanNewLook.png

In my eyes, the newer primes are much more visually different as compared to the older prime frames, but I'll leave this up to you all - Would re-designing the older prime frames to fit them in with the new prime frames be worth it? Remember to be civil, this is just meant to be a friendly discussion.

EDIT ONE: Images are from the wiki.

Edited by Zia_Avenicia

Always felt that Frost P needs updating, but he never will. Just gotta wait on the deluxe... And hope it's of good quality, not some wacky Nova design. Mag is in the same race too.

I kinda feel Ember Prime is nice as she is, at least her body is slightly different. All Frost P has is some gold additions, it's pathetic.

Edited by Naith

7 minutes ago, Zia_Avenicia said:

Vauban

Reveal hidden contents

Vauban Prime

VaubanPrimeNewLook.png

Vauban

VaubanNewLook.png

In my eyes, the newer primes are much more visually different as compared to the older prime frames, but I'll leave this up to you all - Would re-designing the older prime frames to fit them in with the new prime frames be worth it? Remember to be civil, this is just meant to be a friendly discussion.

EDIT ONE: Images are from the wiki.

Yea they need to fix that Vauban Prime on the wikia. The picture is wrong I think...

1 minute ago, Bleak-Knight said:

Yea they need to fix that Vauban Prime on the wikia. The picture is wrong I think...

The only thing wrong with it is that the image quality is fairly bad, as compared to the other images on there.

Edited by Zia_Avenicia

Except for a few frames (like Trinity and Vauban) I don't see how some others altered the base model more than before. Look at Saryn for example, I think Ember was a better prime rework in comparison.

I don't really want them to touch the older primes. It is some kind of testimony of the past.

For starters, it's a pretty subjective thing - some people might enjoy the minimalistic changes of the older Primes. It would be a slap in the face if this classic Warframe design that you loved suddenly got dramatically altered. I suppose the easiest solution would be to include the current look as some kind of 'Legacy skin' that players can equip if they want to retain their look.

However, this comment extends far beyond Prime Warframes. Look at Lanka compared to current Corpus weapons. Look at Synapse compared to current Infested weapons. Look at Lato compared to current Tenno weapons. There's nothing strictly wrong with those weapon designs, but it's clear that the design vision has changed over time. If Prime Warframes get visual updates, why shouldn't literally everything else? Additionally, it goes without saying that design aesthetic will continue to evolve as the game progresses, so they may need to update the designs of everything multiple times!

I don't think DE can change how anything looks (especially primes) in the game, and I know burston and ogris were changed but these are easy to get weapons, you don't buy them with actual money.  

I mean, I'll give you an example. on nyx prime's 'mouth', there's this little 'bump' that just totally doesn't even fit, I remember someone posting about it when she was first released, a DE staff replied and said he/she would check with the artist if it's ok or not....and nothing, it's still there >.> 

I also remember (though may not be true) that DE said they can't/won't change how PA primes look since people buy them with money? I mean it makes sense, because you can't make all love how a warframe looks like, and changing it won't exactly change anything, there will still be haters and lovers 

and FYI, I'm all in for frost/mag/ember redesign (although if you even think about changing ember prime's helmet I'll kill you :3)  

yeah i kinda agree. was hoping that maybe all the old warframes would be brough up to a better standard than what they all ready do now!

same goes with Excalibur. his design while great and all varies very little from the original beside the outdated void key thats merged in the front of his helmet!

#MakeExcalPrimeGreatAgain!

You forgot Excalibur and his prime - the simplicity incarnated. Just void key slapped on the face of already simplistic frame.

Warframes in general, both prime and regular, get more and more complicated and detailed. Look at Ivara, or chinese frames. And I can't say I love all of "new-gen" designs. There's something elegant and badass in Frost prime, while Trinity prime, on the other hand, is overblown with senseless parts. Ash went from one of most boring frames to one of most overloaded ones with his prime version. Saryn P though was 100% win.

Overall, it's hit or miss.

Edited by Serafim_94

1 hour ago, Naith said:

Always felt that Frost P needs updating, but he never will. Just gotta wait on the deluxe... And hope it's of good quality, not some wacky Nova design. Mag is in the same race too.

I kinda feel Ember Prime is nice as she is, at least her body is slightly different. All Frost P has is some gold additions, it's pathetic.

I agree.

1 hour ago, Naith said:

Frost prime looks excellent with the grost tennogen body

I personally think the old primes should stay as they are.

As for the changes of in the new designs, I think it might have to do with how when DE first started the prime warframes, they started simple. Color changes, patterns, gold fixtures on the armor, etc. However, like with anything, as they went along, they've grown much more comfortable and so their designs can be more radical. 

In addition to that, the old frames always strike me as more simplistic than the more modern/recent ones. In fact, all the older frames share this kind smooth looking suit that can actually be worn aesthetic (like Frost) while the more modern frames have more varied/distinct textures and proportions (think Chroma or Limbo). As such, the design avenues can only be take so far before they don't resemble the original frame at all. The newer frames' designs have become more nuanced and unique and their primes reflect that. 

The problem is many old frames just look terrible and less detailed/hires than newer frames...

just look at mag or old ash ... then look at inaros... all the details on inaros.. the small little things..

i can only repeat myself: i really hope they are deciding to remake the old frames to make them fit into the game since all the updates...