Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

First person mode

gtrxxs

Hello guys as of now warframe only has third person, I think the devs could implament first person if they tried hard enought. Imagine how cool it would be if you was playing a exterminate mission and you wanted to be stealthy, you sneak up on to an enemy and jump on their head with the dual zoren and kill them and do a back flip.

Imagine doing bullet jumps or mid-air summersaults with first person mode.

I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it. The game has too many nausea inducing movement options for it to be viable to implement a first person mode, in my opinion, that is.

Edited by Proxykon

8 hours ago, DeMeritus said:

I would love a first person mode too.

The devs have said no, and never really offered an explanation beyond 'it is not in our vision'.

They didn't offer an explanation because:

1. They shouldn't have to. It's their game.

2. Look at the way Warframe works. It's very fast paced, very nimble. It would be very disorientating to play the game in first person mode while flipping around and running real fast. It's common sense really.

Edited by LorianTheElderPrince

2 hours ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

It would be very disorientating to play the game in first person mode while flipping around and running real fast. It's common sense really.

I dunno.  Being a former practitioner of martial arts and parkour, I can't say I ever had that issue.

12 minutes ago, DeMeritus said:

I dunno.  Being a former practitioner of martial arts and parkour, I can't say I ever had that issue.

That's real life. This is a video game that has tons of special effects, tons of weapons and tons of enemies. It's very different to real life for obvious reasons. For example, in real life you can't launch yourself twenty feet into the air and hop up walls as if your feet are magnetised.

Warframe is a third person game. Changing it to first person wouldn't work as first person games are inherently slow as they're more about precision and taking your time.

4 minutes ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

That's real life. This is a video game that has tons of special effects, tons of weapons and tons of enemies. It's very different to real life for obvious reasons.

Speaking as a former game dev, in a video game it's even easier to deal with.  Just let the player retain control of camera angle and orientation.  Even minimal playtesting gets immediate feedback from playtesters.  In general, games that give more managable agency to players tend to be more fun.

Taking agency away from players as far as movement controls and such leads to things like the current archwing camera debacle.

Funny how that works.

Just now, DeMeritus said:

Speaking as a former game dev, in a video game it's even easier to deal with.  Just let the player retain control of camera angle and orientation.  Even minimal playtesting gets immediate feedback from playtesters.  In general, games that give more managable agency to players tend to be more fun.

Taking agency away from players as far as movement controls and such leads to things like the current archwing camera debacle.

Funny how that works.

You're a former parkour guide AND game dev? You certainly get around (pun intended).

Mirror's Edge and Portal are perfect examples of how first person games are slower. Mirror's Edge doesn't have many enemies to fight. Portal has zero. They're both about taking your time. This game is a horde shooter and is very fast paced. Try using first person while using the Sonicor. You'd be blind. All the maps and gameplay have been built around this being a third person game. It has been from the start and will not change. It just wouldn't work.

10 minutes ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

You're a former parkour guide AND game dev? You certainly get around (pun intended).

Most of the programmers and artists I know personally are physically active.  Taking care of your body and staying in shape tends to come with maturity. :)

As for a horde shooter in first person with interesting motion mechanics, check out the new DOOM.

The other day, some of my friends and I were ribbing Warframe a bit.  "You know what DOOM needs?  Weapon switch delays.  And hard landings where you can't move for a second or two without pressing complicated key combinations."

Edited by DeMeritus

42 minutes ago, DeMeritus said:

As for a horde shooter in first person with interesting motion mechanics, check out the new DOOM.

Doom and Warframe are completely separate games with separate mechanics. It's fast paced yes, but the gameplay is built around your character being an unstoppable ape in a bulky space suit from the the word go and like I said Warframe is built around being third person.

Warframe has a lot more mechanics than Doom. It's movement system is vastly different. If anything playing Warframe in first person would make you feel like you're inside a tumble dryer.

20 hours ago, Proxykon said:

I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it. The game has too many nausea inducing movement options for it to be viable to implement a first person mode, in my opinion, that is.

You have zero understanding on how it would be implemented then.

We already know "it's not happening", but people that keep writing stuff like this still annoy me. All we ever wanted was the camera CENTERED, not the camera tied to our heads like a Go Pro that did whatever our heads did. By this standard, whenever our Frames go into an idle animation, the camera would start just moving up and down and all over the place, which clearly would NOT happen.

Many of us have already "glitched" into centered camera mode, played through the mission, and it was FINE, other then seeing clip-through on our armour. If the Frame was transparent, it would of worked.

4 hours ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

Mirror's Edge and Portal are perfect examples of how first person games are slower. Mirror's Edge doesn't have many enemies to fight. Portal has zero. They're both about taking your time. This game is a horde shooter and is very fast paced. Try using first person while using the Sonicor. You'd be blind. All the maps and gameplay have been built around this being a third person game. It has been from the start and will not change. It just wouldn't work.

I already have used first person camera in this game, it was a centered camera and it happened because of a glitch, and it worked fine.

All the things you have just listed don't happen. If I just moved the camera point we have now 2 feet closer to the Frame, it would look identical to what it looks like now. You are just making stuff up.

L5kg90w.jpg

Edited by DSpite

1 hour ago, DSpite said:

I already have used first person camera in this game, it was a centered camera and it happened because of a glitch, and it worked fine.

All the things you have just listed don't happen. If I just moved the camera point we have now 2 feet closer to the Frame, it would look identical to what it looks like now. You are just making stuff up.

L5kg90w.jpg

No I'm not. That is a glitch as in its not supposed to happen. I've had that glitch too. What people are asking for is a true first person mode like COD and Skyrim. THAT is what won't work.

A glitch that shoves the camera into the Warframes head isn't the same as first person mode. If it was, people wouldn't be asking for it.

21 hours ago, Proxykon said:

Not to mention certain abilities that could be disorienting like Switch Teleport or Sandstorm

9 hours ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

Look at the way Warframe works. It's very fast paced, very nimble. It would be very disorientating to play the game in first person mode while flipping around and running real fast. It's common sense really.

I used to feel the same, but I recently felt like playing Half-Life again, and when I got to Xen and used that long jump module, it felt a lot like bullet jump. Since I'm used to Warframe's combat system, it was pretty easy to long jump everywhere while shooting stuff mid-air. So no, unless you have motion sickness, there shouldn't be any problem if you play Warframe in first person.

However, the adaptation of 300~ weapons' models in first person, melee, stances, the adaption of all the abilities' casting animations, probably much more details I'm forgetting, demand a tremendous amount of work. That's probably the only reason that makes the answer a clear "no" instead of "not right now, but maybe in the future", like what happened with the "individual color schemes for each armor part" question not so long ago.

Edited by TheScytale

22 hours ago, Proxykon said:

You can do this with a scanner out or ADS on a scoped gun. It's freaky and a little disorienting. Would not want that all the time, game just isn't designed for it. Also how would I see all my sparkly ninja swag in first person?

3 hours ago, DSpite said:

You have zero understanding on how it would be implemented then.

We already know "it's not happening", but people that keep writing stuff like this still annoy me. All we ever wanted was the camera CENTERED, not the camera tied to our heads like a Go Pro that did whatever our heads did. By this standard, whenever our Frames go into an idle animation, the camera would start just moving up and down and all over the place, which clearly would NOT happen.

Many of us have already "glitched" into centered camera mode, played through the mission, and it was FINE, other then seeing clip-through on our armour. If the Frame was transparent, it would of worked.

You are right, first-person camera and a centered perspective are different, but at the same time, you are the first person bringing this up! How am I supposed to know, since the thread was about a "first-person perspective"?

Please be a bit more considerate when you bring forward your own ideas next time, instead of making an emotional response and pluralizing your personal opinion. You are no representative.

As for your idea, that could actually be done, but it would render aspects of the game like Warframe customization and melee stances somewhat useless for me, since I believe a great part of Warframe is not just the killing of the enemies but also the "looking cool while doing it". If I cannot see my Warframe doing near impossible ninja moves and seeing my great color and skin combination I put together, I feel like missing out on the game.

Edited by Proxykon

11 hours ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

2. Look at the way Warframe works. It's very fast paced, very nimble. It would be very disorientating to play the game in first person mode while flipping around and running real fast. It's common sense really.

^ never played Quake 3 or Unreal 2k4

2 hours ago, TheScytale said:

I used to feel the same, but I recently felt like playing Half-Life again, and when I got to Xen and used that long jump module, it felt a lot like bullet jump. Since I'm used to Warframe's combat system, it was pretty easy to long jump everywhere while shooting stuff mid-air. So no, unless you have motion sickness, there shouldn't be any problem if you play Warframe in first person.

Half life's long jump module doesn't feel anything like bullet jump for me. But that's just a me. I think the motion sickness is also another contributing factor as to why they're not implementing first person.

However, the adaptation of 300~ weapons' models in first person, melee, stances, the adaption of all the abilities' casting animations, probably much more details I'm forgetting, demand a tremendous amount of work. That's probably the only reason that makes the answer a clear "no" instead of "not right now, but maybe in the future", like what happened with the "individual color schemes for each armor part" question not so long ago.

Precisely. The amount of work required to create a first person mode with all the new animations and effects would be huge. And since first person is a completely unnecessary feature, they will not implement it. This game started out as first person and it'll stay that way. Personally I've never ever heard of a first person game that suddenly became third person or vice versa. Player perspective is the base feature that games are built off of as it affects how the game is played entirely.