Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does Power Strength on Frost Matter That Much?

(XBOX)BigQuadTodd

Question

23 answers to this question

Power Strength is really only good for two specific setups for Frost.

One is a hybrid buff frame using Freezing Force for lvl 300+ content and the other is for a premade excavation group using 3 Novas. He doesn't really need Power Strength outside of that. You get a much better reduction in damage taken by both your team and globe by using his CC abilities, esp at later levels.

Personally I have 95% power strength, max range and really nice efficiency. Can't remember the percentages, but Globe only costs 20 Energy to cast. And since you can stack globes inside each other it seems much better to have low-cost globes that can be quickly put up even at low energy.

You don't need power strength for glove. Being able to spam globes more efficiently for 4s invincibility is a much better choice than casting it few times with high power strength. Whoever tells you thats bad just doesn't know how to play him properly.

16 minutes ago, (XB1)TomTheImperator said:

I've got 4550 health and I mostly rely on stacking and the 4 second invincibility.

I'm going to assume that you are talking about his Snowglobe ability. I've built my Snowglobe to be big as possible followed by Power Strength to help fortify it health-wise. However do know that is just me so you if you want to, it be your call.

I will point out that I don't play him very often since there is usually one in every of my games.

Your list of priorities is as follows for snow globe

1: Efficiency: a maxed Blind Rage  build isn't worth diddly fo snow globe when a max efficiency build can outdo it for the same cost.

2: Minimum of +45% range: especially vs bombards as the aoe from explosions can enter the globe.

3: Power Strength and Duration: this part depends solely on how YOU choose to play. with power strength you have a lot of damage, though other frames can do that too. The downside is that going all power strength will kill your duration, which all your abilities need. The power strength to strip all armor off enemies in a single avalanche means nothing if it only lasts 1 second while banshee and ash can strip armor off with way less power strength for longer. Meanwhile with duration, you probably have to sacrifice power strength, but trade it for making his other abilities last longer, providing more crowd control. Freeze duration from Chilling Globe and Ice Wave Impedance need duration as well.

Globe note: it's not invincibility, but an absorb period where damage taken by globe is converted to more hp for the globe, allowing it to scale effectively in late games where max power str can be crumbled easily after those 4 seconds.

Base Power Strength with Steel Fiber is more than enough globe health for the majority of the game, and in higher levels no amount of Strength can save the globe anyway.

But with 70-75% Efficiency and Zenurik focus, you can cast Globe every 4-5 seconds and render it pretty much unkillable.

I highly recommend 160% Power Range (Stretch + Cunning Drift), as this is large enough to protect from Bombards but small enough that not so many enemies get inside. It's also large enough that you can get some decent CC from Avalanche and Ice Wave Impedence if you take it.

Cunning Drift (exilus), Steel Fiber, Vitality, Stretch, Fleeting Expertise R3-4, Streamline R4-5, Primed Contintuity

2 slots free for augments, Power Strength, Constitution, or whatever.

3 hours ago, OniGanon said:

Base Power Strength with Steel Fiber is more than enough globe health for the majority of the game, and in higher levels no amount of Strength can save the globe anyway.

But with 70-75% Efficiency and Zenurik focus, you can cast Globe every 4-5 seconds and render it pretty much unkillable.

I highly recommend 160% Power Range (Stretch + Cunning Drift), as this is large enough to protect from Bombards but small enough that not so many enemies get inside. It's also large enough that you can get some decent CC from Avalanche and Ice Wave Impedence if you take it.

Cunning Drift (exilus), Steel Fiber, Vitality, Stretch, Fleeting Expertise R3-4, Streamline R4-5, Primed Contintuity

Would you do squall with this for better bubble health (125 more bubble health over aurora in your build), or aurora since you're health stacking with no shields (+212 EHP for yourself)

4 hours ago, OniGanon said:

^^ Exactly my thoughts and build. There is only one instance where Power Strenght is important, for a build to strip armor with Avalanche, which I dont think a lot of people build for...

18 minutes ago, (PS4)lhbuch said:

^^ Exactly my thoughts and build. There is only one instance where Power Strenght is important, for a build to strip armor with Avalanche, which I dont think a lot of people build for...

With good reason considering you'd have to sacrifice quite a bit for 250% total power str and without enough duration the armor strip could wear off as fast as it came.

1 hour ago, (PS4)lhbuch said:

Actually....maybe....just maybe...haven't tried the numbers yet since i just thought of it and it might be way too situational, but...

Aura: Growing Power

Exilus: cunning drift for more range

-Vitality or w/e survivability mod

-Fleeting Expertise

-Streamline (adjust for 70 or 75 on the dot to not waste extra duration)

-Stretch

-Primed Continuity

-Transient Fortitude

-Energy Conversion

-Intensify

Should hopefully give a solid globe size and sustainability via zenurik maxed, but you trade off the utility of an augment to strip armor. main issue i currently see is having both growing and conversion up every roughly 7 seconds. might need to use a power drift/squall and a low ranked blind rage instead of cunning drift and energy conversion

8 minutes ago, (PS4)Onder6099 said:

Try max Blind Rage instead of Fleeting Expertise, with Primed Flow and Streamline, of course at rank 5, i have no idea from where comes recomandations about rank 4.

That's a 125 cost on avalanche lasting 10 seconds. you'd run out of energy too fast in late game

If it's for snow globe that's 9950 hp snow globe excluding armor and other str mods adding in with a cost of 62.5 per cast. MEANWHILE a +70% efficiency build using a rank 3 fleeting and max streamline makes the cost 15 giving a 5000 health globe excluding str and armor mods. ADD IN the mechanic of how recasting globe in a globe causes a health stack and in just TWO snow globe casts for a TOTAL of 30 energy, i have a stronger globe than your max blind rage that costs less too.

51 minutes ago, Cryozar said:

That's a 125 cost on avalanche lasting 10 seconds. you'd run out of energy too fast in late game

If it's for snow globe that's 9950 hp snow globe excluding armor and other str mods adding in with a cost of 62.5 per cast. MEANWHILE a +70% efficiency build using a rank 3 fleeting and max streamline makes the cost 15 giving a 5000 health globe excluding str and armor mods. ADD IN the mechanic of how recasting globe in a globe causes a health stack and in just TWO snow globe casts for a TOTAL of 30 energy, i have a stronger globe than your max blind rage that costs less too.

You ´re little bit tricky, while with BR is without FE your build is with FE. My redneck calculations:

BR + Steel Fiber + Streamline: 16000 HP, 62,5 Energy cost

Steel Fiber + Streamline:             8000 HP, 35 Energy cost

Without BR u must cast 2x to get 16000 HP, 2x 35= 70

So, with BR u spare 7,5 Energy if my calculation is correct, of course.

17 minutes ago, (PS4)Onder6099 said:

You ´re little bit tricky, while with BR is without FE your build is with FE. My redneck calculations:

BR + Steel Fiber + Streamline: 16000 HP, 62,5 Energy cost

Steel Fiber + Streamline:             8000 HP, 35 Energy cost

Without BR u must cast 2x to get 16000 HP, 2x 35= 70

So, with BR u spare 7,5 Energy if my calculation is correct, of course.

I added in FE to replace BR because you stated

1 hour ago, (PS4)Onder6099 said:

Try max Blind Rage instead of Fleeting Expertise, with Primed Flow and Streamline, of course at rank 5, i have no idea from where comes recomandations about rank 4.

I added in Fleeting to show how much more effective a snowglobe build would be if FE was used instead of BR. As said earlier, at late game enemies will tear that globe right open so maintaining a globe every 4-5 second starts becoming increasingly important. Are you really going to just ride on trinity's back all the time expecting her not to accidentally slip? if so that's fine, as long as you realize you canvt get as much mileage without trin and a lot more enrrgy restores

59 minutes ago, Cryozar said:

I added in FE to replace BR because you stated

I added in Fleeting to show how much more effective a snowglobe build would be if FE was used instead of BR. As said earlier, at late game enemies will tear that globe right open so maintaining a globe every 4-5 second starts becoming increasingly important. Are you really going to just ride on trinity's back all the time expecting her not to accidentally slip? if so that's fine, as long as you realize you canvt get as much mileage without trin and a lot more enrrgy restores

Sorry dude, but that was a recomendation to OP not comment about your build, btw i never comment others player builds because it ´s about personal preferences. Make a slave from Trin? U must have a really low mention about me. I spared 7,5 energy, if i put FE besides BR the effect will be same. Every build based on Strenght will, soon or later, start cripling, if it starts it ´s time to leave, because become a insane baseball referee riding on Trin is really boring.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Onder6099 said:

Sorry dude, but that was a recomendation to OP not comment about your build, btw i never comment others player builds because it ´s about personal preferences. Make a slave from Trin? U must have a really low mention about me. I spared 7,5 energy, if i put FE besides BR the effect will be same. Every build based on Strenght will, soon or later, start cripling, if it starts it ´s time to leave, because become a insane baseball referee riding on Trin is really boring.

Ah glad we see eye to eye on the trin aspect then. Thing is, i don't see where the OP mentions usage of Fleeting Expertise. sure it can be implied, but i don't see where he mentions his whole build but simply asks if it's bad that he's using no power strength and if he should slap it on. imo i'd sooner slap any of the other strength mods than put in a max blind rage.

As for your mention of rank 4 streamline, it's for builds that don't use Blind rage because the efficiency cap is +75%, so people usually lower FE and/or Streamline to avoid hurting their duration more than necessary since a Rank 4 FE and Rank 4 Streamline amounts to exactly +75% efficiency excluding use of BR

2 hours ago, Cryozar said:

Ah glad we see eye to eye on the trin aspect then. Thing is, i don't see where the OP mentions usage of Fleeting Expertise. sure it can be implied, but i don't see where he mentions his whole build but simply asks if it's bad that he's using no power strength and if he should slap it on. imo i'd sooner slap any of the other strength mods than put in a max blind rage.

As for your mention of rank 4 streamline, it's for builds that don't use Blind rage because the efficiency cap is +75%, so people usually lower FE and/or Streamline to avoid hurting their duration more than necessary since a Rank 4 FE and Rank 4 Streamline amounts to exactly +75% efficiency excluding use of BR

Main problem of this game is that: "Save the energy what ever it will cost" is still rule no1. U can safe 1-3 slots with BR, but no, rather combine another mods and loosing another stats then loose energy, Streamline on Rank 4 instead of FE on Rank 3, when u r loosing only 5% efficiency, but u spare 10% duration. U have a possibility, not only 1, to replenish the energy but no option how to save duration.

I was stating why people ran a rank 4 streamline because you asked. I personally find myself fine with Fleeting at 3 and a max Streamline. As for BR on another frame that could be justified to not use fleeting depending on their sources of energy and playstyle, but for frost specifically for myself because ofnmy playstyle, I find no need for power str when i'm able to hold a room up if necessary.

Edited by Cryozar

Rank 4 Streamline is used only in conjunction with Rank 4 Fleeting Expertise to reach the 75% cap. For most frames and builds, Rank 3 Fleeting Expertise and Rank 5 Streamline for 70% efficiency is sufficient.

But for a high level Frost build, maintaining the energy to recast globe every 4s is paramount. With 70% efficiency, Globe costs 15 energy. Zenurik generates 16 energy in 4s. That's cutting things really close, basically limiting you to only ever casting Globe and nothing else unless you can get a blue orb. With 75% efficiency, Globe goes down to 12.5 energy, allowing you not only maintain Globe but also use Ice Wave Impedance or Freeze. It also means you get 2 casts of Globe/Icewave for every blue orb. This is more useful than an extra ~1s of duration.

But really, it doesn't matter much either way outside of lv100+ missions.