Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ash Revisited Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

2 minutes ago, Mints said:

Your post was accurate and detailed a viable way of making Bladestorm useful post-rework. Your method is actually quite similar to mine, even if you achieve it in a somewhat different way using the augment. He was the one that used the words "Requiring an augment to make it viable is not a good argument." My point is that it doesn't need that augment to make it viable. Bladestorm adds multiple hits to the combo counter per attack and this can be utilized to create a lot of high damage melee crits in an extremely short amount of time. Bladestorm makes it possible to hit a 2x Combo Counter in a very short amount of time. Combine that with a high crit chance and high crit damage melee weapon and Ash shreds everything in front of him to pieces.

Throw Rage on him and put Life Strike on the melee weapon for good measure. Hell I'm pretty sure, Fatal Teleport procs Life Strike as long as you're channeling when you do it. There's lots of ways to build Ash and make him useful in high level content. He's just not broken anymore.

Don't even need rage. Just don't act stupid with your energy and you can hit everyone while invis for a 400% melee damage boost. Course ash is tanky enough to use rage so whatever works for you is fine.

3 minutes ago, izzatuw said:

Let's stop assuming we're both in the vocal majority. There's as many people agreeing that it is a good ult rework as there is bad. How about that?

i was referring to people in this thread but okay. I stand by my original point. Youd've been better off just saying you didn't like the change. I can accept that. Just not your reasoning.

The old Bladestorm was cheesy as hell and just terribad, with the blind 4 spamming, cinematic scenes that lasted for several eternities while making both Ashhole and enemy invincible...

On the other hand, the new "reworked" Bladestorm is inefficient as hell, I would rather use "Fatal Teleport + Covert Lethality" over and over again than use Bladestorm.

In fact, Mesa's Peacemaker can kill enemies just like Ash's Bladestorm... without having to go through the time, effort and hassle of marking targets.

Edited by NativeKiller

1 minute ago, Irorone said:

Because 45 energy base for three attacks base means that you simply got less hits than old bladestorm.  We're comparing old bladestorm vs. new bladestorm so I of course DIDN'T INCLUDE A POWER THAT CAN SYNERGIZE FOR AN INSTANT INFINITELY SCALING SINGLE TARGET KILL.

Activate bladestorm one press, wave mouse let's just call that another press for the sake of counting inputs especially if flicking your mouse around is now a requirement for getting anywhere near as many active marks as old bladestorm, actually activating bladestorm marks later for a third press, so three inputs per cycle when before all you had to was press four when you had an enemy in the crosshair.  We're talking new bladestorm vs. old bladestorm, that's not a seperate issue.

Have you ever heard of Saryn?  Because my guess is no.  Unless we're talking specifically bleed DoTs triggered by an ult than in which case I have one word for you, Maim.  Before you mention how you have to kill things with weapons before maim can do it's damage let me just point that in terms of flat damage weapons VASTLY outclass powers right now unless we're talking powers that basically are weapons.

Um no, they were batting about the idea of making bladestorm like WoF and that's what was mentioned on devstreams.  So unless we're talking some earlier closed beta bladestorm than bladestorm has never had an in game variation like WoF.

For the vast majority of enemies you only need one mark. Meaning it's 15 energy. I bring up Teleport because I see no reason to even bring up a single target scenario when Teleport has always been better. Before and after. 

If Bladestorm taking 2s to execute over 1s from before is an issue to you, then it seems you like you might have some other issues to work out.

"Have you ever heard of Saryn? Because my guess is no" 

You honestly need to get over yourself. Literally nothing ticks for more damage than Bladestorm other than the Atterax (depending). We are talking DamageOverTime, meaning you bringing up Maim is honestly hilarious as a comparison.

They literally finished and had a working Bladestorm iteration that worked like WoF. We are not talking closed beta. 

This honestly shows you know nothing, please educate yourself, and stop being rude.

3 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

i was referring to people in this thread but okay. I stand by my original point. Youd've been better off just saying you didn't like the change. I can accept that. Just not your reasoning.

Well if they want to make it better instead of just old bladestorm but more tedious to use.

Activate Bladestorm, press 4 so only your clones attack, hold 4 so you and your clones will attack.

Make Shuriken have pinpoint accuracy when Bladestorm is active and enemies hit with a shuriken will instantly be targetted by his clones. 

That way people can choose to either see the cinematic or not and we could actually kill high priority targets easily.

Just now, izzatuw said:

Well if they want to make it better instead of just old bladestorm but more tedious to use.

Activate Bladestorm, press 4 so only your clones attack, hold 4 so you and your clones will attack.

Make Shuriken have pinpoint accuracy when Bladestorm is active and enemies hit with a shuriken will instantly be targetted by his clones. 

That way people can choose to either see the cinematic or not and we could actually kill high priority targets easily.

Both of these are good suggestions but there's another way to do that too.

Press 4 to mark enemies, press 4 again and your clones go out but deal reduced damage, then either teleport to a marked enemy or press 4 again and Ash starts stabbing people for full damage and his clones deal full damage if you join in.

Just now, NyxCrab said:

Both of these are good suggestions but there's another way to do that too.

Press 4 to mark enemies, press 4 again and your clones go out but deal reduced damage, then either teleport to a marked enemy or press 4 again and Ash starts stabbing people for full damage and his clones deal full damage if you join in.

wouldn't that be hard to juggle if someone had FT?

3 minutes ago, izzatuw said:

They tried that behind closed doors. they felt the ability to dish that much damage on top of you weapon damage was too strong

3 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

They tried that behind closed doors. they felt the ability to dish that much damage on top of you weapon damage was too strong

They could just adjust the damage. Do full damage when you participate, do significantly less when you don't.

25 minutes ago, GreyEnneract said:

For the vast majority of enemies you only need one mark. Meaning it's 15 energy. I bring up Teleport because I see no reason to even bring up a single target scenario when Teleport has always been better. Before and after. 

If Bladestorm taking 2s to execute over 1s from before is an issue to you, then it seems you like you might have some other issues to work out.

"Have you ever heard of Saryn? Because my guess is no" 

You honestly need to get over yourself. Literally nothing ticks for more damage than Bladestorm other than the Atterax (depending). We are talking DamageOverTime, meaning you bringing up Maim is honestly hilarious as a comparison.

They literally finished and had a working Bladestorm iteration that worked like WoF. We are not talking closed beta. 

This honestly shows you know nothing, please educate yourself, and stop being rude.

I keep bringing up old blade storm single target vs. new blade storm and you keep bringing up teleport like somehow there's no point to the change.

I bring up the input differences because it changes the invuln activation times and durations which you keep trivializing by saying "get over yourself".

You keep bringing up non bladestorm examples about how "nothing compares to bladestorm except atterax" in terms of DoTs and you find me bringing up saryn as snarky.

Fair enough I thought Maim caused bleed proc on deactivation based on stored damage but I guess not upon double checking with the wiki.  So I can be wrong yeah.

Finally 1:00:06  "Prototyped a new version of it" meaning it never actually got in game for us.  So maybe before claiming somebody should educate themselves you should double check your own facts especially if you're gonna call someone else rude, laughable, and a "know nothing".  So no, as far as the player base is concerned we never got a WoF esque bladestorm.

Edited by Irorone

10 minutes ago, izzatuw said:

They could just adjust the damage. Do full damage when you participate, do significantly less when you don't.

maybe. but i enjoy the way it works now. i'd tweak the energy cost some and make it so it converts all marks on a single target into one powerful hit if he only targets one enemy or there is only one target left but its got more than one mark on it.

4 minutes ago, Irorone said:

I keep bringing up old blade storm single target vs. new blade storm and you keep bringing up teleport like somehow there's no point to the change.

As far as single target is concerned, there is no point. If you BS a single target for anything other than the augment, you are ill.

I bring up the input differences because it changes the invuln activation times and durations which you keep trivializing by saying "get over yourself".

When did I say "get over yourself" more than once, or even in relation to his ability? You said  "Have you ever heard of Saryn? Because my guess is no" 

Which is where I replied with the above line. Now I know why you knew nothing about Bladestorm.

You keep bringing up non bladestorm examples about how "nothing compares to bladestorm except atterax" in terms of DoTs and you find me bringing up saryn as snarky.

If you have any evidence of any DoT other than the Atterax ticking for more than Bladestorm then show it to me. 

Fair enough I thought Maim caused bleed proc on deactivation based on stored damage but I guess not upon double checking with the wiki.  So I can be wrong yeah but you know what as least I don't go comparing weapons to powers in a discussion about a specific power rework.

I already said nothing ticks for as much as Bladestorm other than the Atterax. That includes everything in the game. Surprise, powers are apart of everything in the game.

Finally 1:06:06  "Prototyped an ash rework" meaning it never actually got in game for us.  So maybe before claiming somebody should educate themselves you should double check your own facts.  So no, as far as the player base is concerned we never got a WoF esque bladestorm.

You: "I didn't mind the cutscene, DE's trying to move away from it because it translates to more development work down the road in the form of stabbing animations."

Me: "They already moved away from it with the first iteration being similar to WoF, then to the iteration where it would be the same as it is now just with you sending out your clones only instead of yourself. Now it's at the current (3rd known) iteration."

The entire point is that the playerbase did not get the WoF iteration. Literally nowhere did anyone say the player base got it, you didn't even mention it in your post that I quoted. It was still DE's first iteration when they started working on the rework. I'm not even sure why this triggers you.

Either way I'm done replying to someone who's rude, and either cannot read, or refuses to do so. Let alone sit there and watch a stream.

5 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

maybe. but i enjoy the way it works now. i'd tweak the energy cost some and make it so it converts all marks on a single target into one powerful hit if he only targets one enemy or there is only one target left but its got more than one mark on it.

I don't see the difference between using his ult for a single target and using Fatal teleport.

That or reiterate, that post is hard to understand.

23 minutes ago, GreyEnneract said:

As far as single target is concerned, there is no point. If you BS a single target for anything other than the augment, you are ill.

When did I say "get over yourself" more than once, or even in relation to his ability? You said  "Have you ever heard of Saryn? Because my guess is no" 

Which is where I replied with the above line. Now I know why you knew nothing about Bladestorm.

If you have any evidence of any DoT other than the Atterax ticking for more than Bladestorm then show it to me. 

Fair enough I thought Maim caused bleed proc on deactivation based on stored damage but I guess not upon double checking with the wiki.  So I can be wrong yeah but you know what as least I don't go comparing weapons to powers in a discussion about a specific power rework.

I already said nothing ticks for as much as Bladestorm other than the Atterax. That includes everything in the game. Surprise, powers are apart of everything in the game.

Finally 1:06:06  "Prototyped an ash rework" meaning it never actually got in game for us.  So maybe before claiming somebody should educate themselves you should double check your own facts.  So no, as far as the player base is concerned we never got a WoF esque bladestorm.

You: "I didn't mind the cutscene, DE's trying to move away from it because it translates to more development work down the road in the form of stabbing animations."

Me: "They already moved away from it with the first iteration being similar to WoF, then to the iteration where it would be the same as it is now just with you sending out your clones only instead of yourself. Now it's at the current (3rd known) iteration."

The entire point is that the playerbase did not get the WoF iteration. Literally nowhere did anyone say the player base got it, you didn't even mention it in your post that I quoted. It was still DE's first iteration when they started working on the rework. I'm not even sure why this triggers you.

Either way I'm done replying to someone who's rude, and either cannot read, or refuses to do so. Let alone sit there and watch a stream.

Except we're talking old bladestorm vs. new bladestorm.  Specifically energy costs but that's kind of been lost to the snark.  Based on what you've said I could say that frost's slowing powers have no point because M Prime exists.  You've been ignoring the structure of the point persistently.

"More than once" so it needs to be more than once?  You said nothing compares to bladestorm DoT procs except atterax.  First you changed a discussion about powers to power AND weapons so Saryn's spore becomes VERY notable when you open it up like that and you've been repeatedly jabbing me about how I "know nothing".

"Know nothing about bladestorm" has had Ash for literally years, assumption upon assumption.  Am I the most fluent in what the current state of it is at, probably not but the very initial points I made about the invuln frames and casting times and costs which your response to was "one more button press".

Saryn spore builds if we're talking total damage dealt in addition to energy costs especially now with the new status and weapon combos since, again, you opened up the argument to include weapons AND powers.

""They already moved away from it with the first iteration being similar to WoF, then to the iteration where it would be the same as it is now just with you sending out your clones only instead of yourself. Now it's at the current (3rd known) iteration."

No this was not saying how the WoB never made it to the playerbase merely was that it was the 2nd iteration.  You literally brought a version of a power that NEVER made its way into the player base's hands into a discussion about the current state of a power vs. the previous IN GAME STATE of the power.  Then you proceeded to say how I'm "laughable, rude....know nothing".  Seriously don't fling **** if you aren't ready for it to come back.

I timestamped the stream (wrong initially because I read the numbers wrong and edited it just so the timestamps on these posts don't peg you as a complete ***, even though that's a hospitality you didn't even bother extending when trying to prove a point) and quoted what they said about the ash bladestorm rework that you mentioned what the actual **** do you want me to "sit and watch".  So if there's been rudeness I'm sure as **** not the only one.

Edited by Irorone

11 minutes ago, (PS4)supersocc11 said:

How is the new Bladestorm against bosses?  Does it kill them fast?

Assuming that the boss can be hit by bladestorm, which it feels like the majority don't these days between invuln modes and effectively untargetable weakpoints in regards to bladestorm, and actually takes bleed proc damage it kills fairly quickly.

Edited by Irorone

You're right. It's now basically a gimmick for fun. It can't be taken seriously after a certain level... 50 n above perhaps. 

It doesn't kill heavy units in that level n above if don't mark 3 times. Some ash can't kill even after marking 3 times because their bladestorm is very weak now as mods are focus on smoke screen instead. 

For high levels, I rather use fatal teleport all the way as substitute to bladestorm. 

On 12/4/2016 at 2:17 PM, Major_Phantom said:

After a decent chunk of playing, I'm starting to enjoy it. I'm going with:

177 dur, 175 eff, 79 range, 170 str.

To save on the need to stack mutliple BS attacks, I use both combo multiplier mods on my melee and rely on sustaining the combo so I only need 1 bs attack + bleed to pull of reliable kills. While not as spammy as before, definitely feels nicer for me.

The only feedback regarding changes I'd suggest is somehow have more visible markers even on darker energy color and fixes to teleport/final teleport not triggering finishers properly on moas and such.

Bladestorm was already effected by those, the problem now is that its slower, kills less and is still non-interactivity that needs to go the way of the dodo.

On 12/4/2016 at 2:22 PM, Nazrethim said:

Well, that's where a Smoke Screen enters the scene. SS greatly reduces cost and gives you a brief pause from taking damage while you target new enemies. You can also cast it while rolling or bulletjumping now. You can't use the ol Bladestorm "stand still and cast on enemies" anymore, you need to stay mobile, use your whole kit, etcetera. Whenever I need to do two sweeps I bulletjump>sweep crowd while flying at blinding speeds>bulletjump again>sweep again at blinding speed>release the blade storm. You need to play Ash like ninja, not like a caster.

Which is kinda redundant since you have to keep using extra energy to cast smokescreen, for this even more lackluster cutscene move, in both effect and cinematic. Isn't it ironic that a move that makes ash invisible is suggested for a move revolving around flashy cutscenes? Why keep the cutscenes then? Anyway, you're better off reserving the Smokescreen for melee and killing much more enemies.

Edited by UrielColtan

I'm sorry but if anyone thinks Ash's rework is any good, you've probably never used him.

Ash does do hefty amounts of damage, sure, but for the time it takes to actually DO the damage; it's hardly even worth it.

Factually, Ash is left in the dust by his other counterparts, Loki and Ivara.

Ash can:

• Throw a useless Shuriken
  • Smoke Screen (8 seconds) (35 energy)
  • Teleport
  • Use Blade Storm, which has the longest animation in the entire game.

Loki can:

• Summon a Decoy
  • Become invisible for a base 4 seconds longer than Ash, but more energy (12 seconds) (50 energy)
  • Switch Teleport, which goes great as a pair with Decoy
  • Radial Disarm

Ivara can:

• Use a collection of 4 different arrows, which are all very useful
  • Use Navigator, which is great in high-level stealth missions; also makes you invisible while in use, but you move slow.
  • Use Prowl, which when maxed, uses 1 energy per second while moving, and 0.3 while standing still
  • Use Artemis Bow, which is a super strong bow that can wipe out hordes in seconds.

And to compare with Ash:

• Shuriken actually sucks nuts, does S#&$ all damage and is practically never useful, whereas decoy can save your life, and Quiver can be useful for cloaking your group, distracting, sleeping the enemy, and making ziplines; who doesn't like ziplines?
  • Smoke Screen is okay, even more so when you account for the lower energy cost, but a max duration Loki can have 33 seconds of invis for 35 energy, whereas Ash can have a max of 22 seconds for 24 energy (If you're using Streamline as well).  One could say Prowl is the best, because overall, it uses the least amount of energy for the most distance covered (Depending on your speed mods, of course.)
  • Teleport is okay on Ash, but overall stumped by Loki's Switch Teleport, which when paired with Decoy can help him easily get by tons of enemies.
  • Radial Disarm is useful in its own situations, but it isn't an offensive.  Artemis Bow, however, is MUCH more useful than Blade Storm; where Blade Storm can kill multiple enemies while doing massive amounts of damage, the animation of the ability is hilariously long, and a good primary weapon (i.e Sancti/Tigris Prime, Tonkor, Zarr, etc. list goes on, even a Braton Prime could do it better with a few formas) can simply out-do it.  Artemis Bow does massive damage when paired with a couple Strength mods, and can wipe out rooms of enemies in no time.  Thunderbolt makes it only more fun to use.

So, in the end, the only decent quality about Ash (When compared to its only 2 counterparts) is that you might be getting a bit more bang for your buck when it comes to invisibility time.  I haven't even done the math for it yet, but I don't really even think you are.  Other than that, both Loki and Ivara beat Ash; Ivara if you like playing slow and steady, Loki if you just want to go invisible and quickly dash through the map.  And lets not forget Loki runs fast as all hell, so when paired with some speed mods and his long invisibility time, he can dash through maps super-quickly, much faster than Ash and Ivara combined.

Also, sorry about the long-a$$ comment.  Just annoys the hell out of me that people actually think Ash is a viable Warframe.  I'm already building Loki.  I hate to see my favorite frame get nerfed to the dirt.  I was really, really hoping they would at the very least make his Smoke Screen have a longer, or equal duration to Loki so it would actually make Ash a fair pick with Loki, but they didn't even do that; they just made it so you can move and become invisible.  It's convenient, but doesn't equate for 11 extra seconds of invisibility time.

It's truly a shame.

1 minute ago, 420dankmemes said:

I'm sorry but if anyone thinks Ash's rework is any good, you've probably never used him.

Ash does do hefty amounts of damage, sure, but for the time it takes to actually DO the damage; it's hardly even worth it.

Factually, Ash is left in the dust by his other counterparts, Loki and Ivara.

Ash can:

• Throw a useless Shuriken
  • Smoke Screen (8 seconds) (35 energy)
  • Teleport
  • Use Blade Storm, which has the longest animation in the entire game.

Loki can:

• Summon a Decoy
  • Become invisible for a base 4 seconds longer than Ash, but more energy (12 seconds) (50 energy)
  • Switch Teleport, which goes great as a pair with Decoy
  • Radial Disarm

Ivara can:

• Use a collection of 4 different arrows, which are all very useful
  • Use Navigator, which is great in high-level stealth missions; also makes you invisible while in use, but you move slow.
  • Use Prowl, which when maxed, uses 1 energy per second while moving, and 0.3 while standing still
  • Use Artemis Bow, which is a super strong bow that can wipe out hordes in seconds.

And to compare with Ash:

• Shuriken actually sucks nuts, does S#&$ all damage and is practically never useful, whereas decoy can save your life, and Quiver can be useful for cloaking your group, distracting, sleeping the enemy, and making ziplines; who doesn't like ziplines?
  • Smoke Screen is okay, even more so when you account for the lower energy cost, but a max duration Loki can have 33 seconds of invis for 35 energy, whereas Ash can have a max of 22 seconds for 24 energy (If you're using Streamline as well).  One could say Prowl is the best, because overall, it uses the least amount of energy for the most distance covered (Depending on your speed mods, of course.)
  • Teleport is okay on Ash, but overall stumped by Loki's Switch Teleport, which when paired with Decoy can help him easily get by tons of enemies.
  • Radial Disarm is useful in its own situations, but it isn't an offensive.  Artemis Bow, however, is MUCH more useful than Blade Storm; where Blade Storm can kill multiple enemies while doing massive amounts of damage, the animation of the ability is hilariously long, and a good primary weapon (i.e Sancti/Tigris Prime, Tonkor, Zarr, etc. list goes on, even a Braton Prime could do it better with a few formas) can simply out-do it.  Artemis Bow does massive damage when paired with a couple Strength mods, and can wipe out rooms of enemies in no time.  Thunderbolt makes it only more fun to use.

So, in the end, the only decent quality about Ash (When compared to its only 2 counterparts) is that you might be getting a bit more bang for your buck when it comes to invisibility time.  I haven't even done the math for it yet, but I don't really even think you are.  Other than that, both Loki and Ivara beat Ash; Ivara if you like playing slow and steady, Loki if you just want to go invisible and quickly dash through the map.  And lets not forget Loki runs fast as all hell, so when paired with some speed mods and his long invisibility time, he can dash through maps super-quickly, much faster than Ash and Ivara combined.

Also, sorry about the long-a$$ comment.  Just annoys the hell out of me that people actually think Ash is a viable Warframe.  I'm already building Loki.  I hate to see my favorite frame get nerfed to the dirt.  I was really, really hoping they would at the very least make his Smoke Screen have a longer, or equal duration to Loki so it would actually make Ash a fair pick with Loki, but they didn't even do that; they just made it so you can move and become invisible.  It's convenient, but doesn't equate for 11 extra seconds of invisibility time.

It's truly a shame.

Ash is viable, just not best.  Call it hydroid syndrome or w/e.

He does have some particularly niche advantages though.

Fatal teleport works on juggernauts.  One of the newer enemies known for near invincibility, and you can one shot him as opposed to getting shotgunned through walls.  Not sure if DE's gonna patch this though.

Smoke screen isn't quite as good as invis or prowl but meh it rounds out the kit and if the aug didn't have a background range limit it would actually be REALLY good.  Or troll since if your entire party is invis the enemies in survival wouldn't aggro unless you had some sort of decoy or summon.

Forcing players to do Smokescreen before Bladestorm for cheaper energy is an odd choice since there is no actual value in trying to tag BS targets while non-invis. My suggestion for BS tweaks are these:

1. Activating Bladestorm immediately makes you cast Smokescreen and it costs you the energy, same as activating Smokescreen.
  2. Tagging enemies still costs 15 (on top of the cost of auto-activating Smokescreen) BUT you have a cost cap at 100. Meaning once all the cost of auto-Smokescreen plus tagging enemies hit 100, all the subsequent enemies tagged DOES NOT COST ANYTHING. Meaning, this new Bladestorm will never be more expensive than old Bladestorm, and can only get cheaper if you tagged less enemies. BUT! It will still be too costly to use as a cheap alternative to Fatal Teleport since you'd get hit by that initial Smokescreen cost so for killing single targets Fatal Teleport is still cheaper.
  3. Once Bladestorm is done, you get another Smokescreen, for free.

So how does this work in gameplay?

When you activate BS, you immediately go invis. Then tag as many enemies as you wanted as it only costs you 100 energy, but don't take too long since Smokescreen will eventually run out. Execute enemies. Plop back where you started, all invis again.

The duration of the auto-Smokescreen invis is dependent on mods exactly the same as standard Smokescreen. So anyone tanking duration for Damage will get short invis so there's some balancing act going on here.

Also, make the targeting reticle larger for BS. Like, how Mesa's Peacemaker has larger reticle. Not as large as when Peacemaker started, maybe a 1/3 of that. It would also make identifying BS is active easier with a special reticle on your screen since often you might not know whether BS is active or not, you're unsure, then you pressed 4 again and immediately go jumping around.

Edited by JalakBali
Addition

1 hour ago, UrielColtan said:

Bladestorm was already effected by those, the problem now is that its slower, does less damage and is still non-interactivity that needs to go the way of the dodo.

It's slower cause it was too good before, don't let that cloud your mind, DE slowly tries to remove powers like what BS was and I imagine ember would come soon after.

How exactly does it do less damage? It's still 2k per hit and still with forced bleed....

I get the problem with the interactivity but frankly I've neither seen nor come up with a decent suggestion for the fix :(