The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do so few people use a mic in Warframe?

Thylacin

I can't stand the in-game voice chat. It's not an issue of the game, but the community. About 95% of every mission that a player uses a mic in this game involves their radio blasting in the background or babies crying and dogs barking and people screaming at each other, whatever crappy reality show their watching...or the obvious elitist trash talk. I don't want to hear that crap. 

When I'm not playing with friends I mute the party members with mics. When I'm playing with friend's I'm talking to them using PlayStation chat.

Edited by (PS4)Riko_113

The first thing I do in any online game that has the option is disable mics globally. I am thankful Warframe allows this, so I don't have to manually mute people every mission I go into. I don't need voice to talk to you, and I don't care to hear you talk to me.

I prefer the text chat, even with it's obvious drawbacks. It gives the game a more MMO-ish and/or old school feel.

I always have voice chat enabled. I've only once in 3 years had a bad mic troll. But the dozens of times I met interesting people make it worth it. I once had a chat with a German, a Canadian, and a Jamaican in a single Derelict Defence. That was one of the best Prime part farming nights ever. So for me I just ask if anyone can hear me in game and if some have a mic, they most of the time respond. If not they often are surprised the game has voice chat and find a mic to join in a light conversion while grinding a resource/prime part. I use Discord too but meeting a random player who is a trucker at a stop is pretty cool too.

12 minutes ago, CeePee said:

After dealing with so many people not speaking English I've turned the voice chat off completely, it just isn't worth the hassle.

Aww, but don't you love when you end up grouping with two guys who are speaking a language you can't even identify, let alone understand and they just talk and talk and talk all throughout the third survival sortie?  You know at least one of them could type in English from their recruit post, but no further communication was attempted.

I especially love it when they apparently get into an argument around the 15 minute mark, when a delay of a few seconds to mute them will result in your death, which rips you out of the pause screen and prevents you from re-accessing it until your revived.  (this used to be the case on PS4, so muting wasn't an option later into missions)  And the yelling was sufficiently loud enough to be heard in the next room despite the TV's volume being so low that only I have ever been able to hear it and only if I'm 3-4 feet away. 

/s

I use the PS4 built-in party chat if I want to talk to someone, occasionally there is a nice enough person in my group, but with all nice things they are few and far between.  Especially when the people who use mics in the first place are pretty rare.  Only about 1 out of 10 random squads seem to have a mic user and the squads with more than that almost always consist of two friends who already knew each other.

Why I disabled voice chat:

I recently wondered, 'why did I disable this again' and enabled voice chat to try it out. In the very first public run I go, someone is playing effin loud music in the background, his microphone obviously capturing everything. And then he didn't even speak english, but some language I don't have a clue about. 

This is why I don't use ingame voice chats in general.

I have my mic on but I noticed in Warframe the majority doesn't like to talk. If I'm playing with friends I'm normally on party chat. I would respond if spoken to. Other games people insist you have a mic in order to be invited to a raid.

Also a common occurrence is when a random squad is talking then I joined in and started to talk, all of a sudden complete silence. It's like the creature from the blue lagoon showed up. And I have such a lovely voice. 

I like being friendly and cooperative in PuG voice chat on PS4. Probably about 75% of the games I'm playing in I try to strike up a conversation. Like say whenever a player is down, I call out their PSN name and say "I gotcha." Usually there's a response, sometimes there isn't, but it's perfectly fine.

I guess part of what influenced me to appreciate online social interaction was that I used to frequent a lot of communal chatrooms/streams on Twitchtv, particularly Destructoid back in the day when their online Twitchtv gaming/streaming community was still a tight-knit group (to some extent it still is). I kinda think and still believe that good communicative engagement with players via PuGs is still a thing, which doesn't really necessitate the use of the PS4 in-system voicechat, Discord, Teamspeak, or Skype to get the conversation going. 

Just talk and chill like you're having a good beer in a pub with your mates. That's how I see it. :fist:

Just now, (PS4)forChristsake said:

I just don't like other people's idea of "music," and I hate raging 9 year olds.

Tell me about it, today while I was doing the Jackal mission with randoms one of them called me dumb for not attacking the legs(which I was obviously doing) but I was busy reviving his noob &#!(he was MR2) along the others.Should have focused on fighting instead typing in chat.Then after the game he turned on his mic trying to insult me, taught him some manners and gave him a fair warning that community doesn't take kind to those with such behaviour. Kids nowdays...

I've had fairly positive results when using my mic in PUGS in the last year.  Met a couple cool people that I now run with fairly often from it.

I think the reason most people don't use it is they simply don't know about it.  Just about every new player I've met in the last 2 years didn't know there was in game voice chat.

The quality is low, I agree.  But, for me, as long as I can understand what you're saying easily, I'm not that picky.  If I want quality voice chat, I go out of game. 

*shrug* i don't use a mic unless I'm playing with people I know well, otherwise it's asking for people to be $&*^s. I would imagine a lot of people, if they own a mic at all, are the same way.

You don't really need to communicate much in warframe anyway and I listen to music while playing.so it can be hard to understand people using a mic in random matches..