The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Comparing old and new frames... Old skills look simple

Kronxito

For example:

The new infested frame, players will have to work a little if they want to activate his 4th skill.

Bard frame: will we have to combine his/her skills for powerful combos? (not sure about this)

I mean: it seems new frames are introducing complex playstyles or skill combos that makes elder frames looking very simple in terms of skill sets.

I wonder: Will they adapt elder skill sets for them to work like the new ones?

My english is bad. Sorry

Edited by ArionLightning

5 minutes ago, ArionLightning said:

I wonder: Will they adapt elder skill sets for them to work like the new ones?

Saryn would be prime example of them doing just that.

It depends on the frame though, as some people don't want certain frames to be reworked as they work well as is.

1 hour ago, DarkOmegaGamer said:

If you build her right the only skill you ever use is spores :P 
With a lot of dodging and shooting of course, but IMO she's too energy-expensive to play synergistically. Like once every good number of enemy cycles you can drop a 2-1-4 and see the screen turn into numbers but really the spore-shoot-scoot is how she rolls. Which I'm fine with, she's my favourite frame by a good margin, but I don't think her kit is really "complex" or synergistic, at least not optimally so with how much energy things take. 

Also at the OP, while this is true for some frames, a lot of the new skills are *in practice* still very basic to use effectively. The mechanics behind them might be less... elegant, but even someone like Ivara or Vauban with toggles and all weirdness play out rather simply once you get a good build set up. 

1 hour ago, ARHYST said:

All frames will get their rework so they can be "complicated" as new ones.

I doubt it. We have Excalibur, Ember, Valkyr, and Frost all working quite well, especially Excal. I'm sure DE knows that people do not all want complexity.

I think DE are really low on basic ideas, which isn't really a bad thing and was bound to happen. If you look at our old warframes, they're all really simple up to Oberon and Nekros' point, I think. Basically almost all of the warframes old enough to be primed. Excal just has sword powers, Ember has fire, Frost has ice, and Nyx has confusion. I think my favorite, Oberon, is where the complexity increase is noticeable, and it gradually gets higher from there. I think there are exceptions, like Saryn, and I may get some of the general release timelines points wrong, but you probably catch my drift. Waframes gradually got more complex, because there's not a whole lot that can be done with simplicity and high customizability, as far as variety goes.

No one really cares about something being complex or not. It's mostly about efficiency and sadly many of the new frames seem to be lacking in this regard. Titania I'm looking at you as well as the new infested frame. No one wants gimmicky powers that are hard to pull off and at the same time do very little.

23 hours ago, ----Fenrir---- said:

No one really cares about something being complex or not. It's mostly about efficiency and sadly many of the new frames seem to be lacking in this regard. Titania I'm looking at you as well as the new infested frame. No one wants gimmicky powers that are hard to pull off and at the same time do very little.

Meh, this might be a matter of subjective opinion, but I find Titania exceeds in her crowd control capabilities. Mix in decent (not amazing) damage, along with nice little buffs that are easy to keep up with and she's surprisingly useful in my experience. The infested frame seems like he'll be good cc, and who knows, maybe there'll be a bit more to him when he's released.

I honestly think people want real synergy, which is what DE is supposed to be supplying old frames. When I say synergy, I obviously don't mean the simple 2+2=4 crap people think it is, nor do I mean the 2+2=5 type of synergy. What they really need is more complementary synergy, abilities that are perfectly fine on their own, but if you want you can create more astounding effects by combining multiple things, much like One Punch Atlas and a large melee combo counter.

You see this in plenty of games. As the developers get more experience, they start to experiment with mechanics and different things, which leads to complication.

Compare old League of Legends champions to new ones, old Magic/Yu-Gi-Oh cards to new ones, old versions of Pokemon to the new ones, etc.

On 2016-12-11 at 3:18 PM, DarkOmegaGamer said:

It depends on the frame though, as some people don't want certain frames to be reworked as they work well as is.

Saryn is also the perfect example that no matter how complicated they make a frame, people will find the easiest way to play it. Just mod Spore, use Molt to reduce Spore cost, and forget the rest.

The older frames have pretty simplistic styles because thats their niche. Trinity is support. Thats it. Loki is crowd control. Thats it. Valkyr is solo-play. Thats it.

Then we get to the newer frames. Limbo is a hybrid of defense, offense, and support(when played right). Equinox shifts roles depending on the situation. Inaros is a tank fused with CC and support. The newer frames do this because we don't really need anymore simple ones.

Simpler frames can be added in the futures but the devs adding more complex frames into the game. Reason if you made something complex then you want to add more complex things. Often the simpler is the better choice how Marvelous said because the complexity add not necessary workload to the players whom want to had fun and success as fast as possible. Other players like the challenges so the complex frames made to them. Saryn is more than 1 button frame but her rework was not so Good. They took from her survivaliability and her skill not scale well with the levels. A Loki always can disarm while the damage dealer frames cannot after a Point. Limbo is a good survivor and in the most situations viable his flaw the rift mechanics which block others to do something. Mag is simple but She is powerful for example and She got some reworks also.