Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's Chaos Sphere's Purpose?

(PSN)AssaulterInMe25

Question

I got this augment mod for Nyx called "Chaos Sphere", apparently, according to the wiki is that it releases a sphere that affects enemies the same way, and it shrinks for an amount of time, and....i was a bit confused, like, does it affect the ability or not?

I tried the comments in that wiki page, and all i see is a fair amount of mixed reactions and here's the percentage of it:

60% of the people in there is complaining about how utterly useless the mod was and what complete waste of space it is.

40% of the rest is giving the others an easy way how to use the mod, but it still makes my memory completely dead.

Tell me, should i go with the 60% or the 40%? i mean, those are like bandwagons, attempting to kill each other.

15 answers to this question

With base Chaos, it sends out a "wave" (for lack of a better term) of mind control energy. Once the wave has reached its range limit it ceases to be. Any new enemy spawned will not be affected.

With the Augment, the "Orb" active for the duration of Chaos and any new enemy walking into it, becomes confused and starts attacking their allies. newly spawned enemies can then walk into the orb and become controlled

pretty meh since you can just recast it and get the same benifits

Edited by (PS4)Elctrcstel

Chaos Sphere was primarily designed around dealing with Chaos' inability to be recast until all targets affect by Chaos were killed or the duration ended however Chaos Sphere still has value. (Mostly in the upper levels of play).

In endless missions as you kill enemies, new enemies spawn to replace them. At higher levels an enemy hitting you even once can be deadly so Chaos Sphere works to eliminate the window between newly spawned enemies and your next Chaos cast. It also serves as a visual indicator or your duration instead of watching the timer which means less overhead.

Previously Nyx has always been used with negative duration because of her consistent need to recast Chaos more quickly. Chaos Sphere allows a positive Duration Nyx to be just as viable as negative. This gives more value to her Mind Control as a support ability rather than a panic button and other augments like Pacifying Bolts benefit from a longer duration as well.

My Nyx build for lvl 120+ content uses three of her augments. Chaos Sphere, Pacifying Bolts and Assimilate with no defensive mods since past Sorties levels control over the situation becomes paramount and Defensive mods do just about nothing for her.

I went like a day or so where I put it on my Nyx build, didn't really notice much of a difference with it on vs without it. It has some use for things like Kuva missions where you can use Chaos once and then it'll hit all the new enemies that spawn, but honestly for Kuva I'd bring Assimilite Nyx with Guardian Derision and just take fire off of your team.

Back in the day, Chaos couldn't be recast so this mod had some use with high duration builds.  Now it's useless.

It shrinks twice as fast as your Chaos duration and if you build Chaos to have a short duration (as you should) it shrinks faster than enemies can run into the ring.

I have two Chaos Nyx builds, one for general purpose where Chaos lasts 15 seconds and one for raids where it lasts less than 5 seconds.  Why so short?  Every time you recast Chaos, enemies who weren't already chaosed get stunned.  Casting every 5 seconds at max range can stun lock the whole map tile.

Edited by (XB1)ThermalStone

6 hours ago, Xzorn said:

My Nyx build for lvl 120+ content uses three of her augments. Chaos Sphere, Pacifying Bolts and Assimilate with no defensive mods since past Sorties levels control over the situation becomes paramount and Defensive mods do just about nothing for her.

I don't quite understand the logic here, so please bear with me. Why the need for all three augments? As you mentioned, Chaos Sphere was for a time when Chaos couldn't be recast, whereas you can in the current build. On the other hand, Pacifying Bolts and Chaos seem redundant, and both seem pointless when you can now move around in Assimilate mode.

Ignore all the comments saying it's useless, it's not.

Casting once with a good (doesn't have to be maxed) duration and high range will affect multiple areas throughout without having to spend more energy for casts. Amazing for games like interception, endgame, and low energy sorties, which are games that Nyx fully shine in.

As for the effect itself, think about it as a defensive wall maker/staller in utility. If unaffected enemies enter the very edge of the ring, they'll be pretty much targeting other troops in their horde, stalling and damaging them, even before they see anyone in your team, once that enemy is destroyed and the column moves up, the next enemy will start doing the same thing. What's more, because the way Chaos can now be recasted, meaning that enemies can all have different effect expiration time, the effect inside the area will automatically reapply to those recovering. This is not a big deal in low to mid to even low/high levels but an unaffected Tech can literally mean life or death.

Sidenote for Pacifying Bolts: It may seem redundant but sprinkling Bolts into every action like reloading, shooting, etc, means that a lot of enemies are stunned for a longer duration. Stunning enemies for 10+ seconds is not trivial, especially during long reloads and traveling around corners, now on top of consistent Chaos effect? You're most likely to survive every situation.

7 minutes ago, Ojimaru said:

I don't quite understand the logic here, so please bear with me. Why the need for all three augments? As you mentioned, Chaos Sphere was for a time when Chaos couldn't be recast, whereas you can in the current build. On the other hand, Pacifying Bolts and Chaos seem redundant, and both seem pointless when you can now move around in Assimilate mode.

Imagine you're in Void Defense and you just cast Chaos at the start of a wave. One of your team clears out the back right hall where those stairs come down then joins you to focus on the front. At that moment more enemies have spawned in the back right, either behind the door or up the stairs. They will not have Chaos on them and may shoot at your team instead of their allies. Lets say you anticipate this and cast Chaos again just in time. Now the problem starts.... You have two separate Chaos timers going. One for the original enemies still alive and one for the new enemies. You can quickly end up in a situation where enemies are almost randomly dropping Chaos because you have multiple timers going.

Chaos Sphere removes this situation as any enemies entering or already in the area of effect will instantly be re-applied the Chaos effect. There's no upkeep which gives you more time to shoot or focus on touch up CC which is where Pacifying Bolts comes in.

Pacifying Bolts is for locking down targets during a Chaos. You use both of them and often, esp on heavy targets with AoE or enemies near a Nullifier. Chaos can be removed but Radiation status effect cannot which keeps the Nullifier from advancing while you drop the bubble and them. It also has a pretty high chance on the disarm passive if multiple bolts land on a target but that's mostly a secondary perk. In the end, the last thing you want is a lvl 300 Bombard/Napalm shooting rockets. Even if they're not shooting them at your team. A stationary locked target makes for a much better situation.

Assimilate is mostly an anti-nullifier button. Least for me. I use it when I see a bubble. It's not helpful to the team really outside me staying alive to keep CC up. Assimilate also scales in reverse. The more damage enemies do, the more you need it but the more energy it will take to keep up. It's mostly a layer for you in case of a mistake. If it wasn't for Nullifiers I'd say it's the more redundant mod since Nyx doesn't take damage outside Nullifiers unless you mess up.