The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How About More Aliens? :D

Sirfol

55 minutes ago, Lakais said:

I would like to remind that I believe Steve has mention about us going OUTSIDE of the solar system. A distant dream DE's. So the idea is not lost on them. But to Tau?

It is, but at this juncture it's within the bounds of 'will pay more heed when something to show'.

As for Tau or not, it's the most logical candidate, being the destination of the Zariman and Sentients.

56 minutes ago, Lakais said:

And who's to say that we can get to Tau directly from Sol anyway?

Implication seems to be this is why the Orokin had the Sentients build the Solar Rail for them, going by the Crewman Synthesis.

57 minutes ago, Lakais said:

It could be that the Sentient war was basically Orokin being pushed back, colony by colony.

Whilst not impossible, so far we've had no acknowledgement of any established extra-solar Orokin held colonies so they sit in the realm of 'confirmation needed'. As it is, it seems that Tau was the first acknowledged attempt at extra-solar colonisation, at least at this time. 

1 hour ago, Lakais said:

"May our ledgers become ocean and may your margins see Centauri. In the name of Profit, I commit thee to the Void.

Might be that invoking Centauri is purely for the sake of the sheer distance involved, seeing as margins likely means 'profit margins' hear.

Classic Warframe metaphorical language, if so.

If there's any greater relevance to the use or mention of Centauri, well...It's not been stressed or emphasised as yet to argue it's necessarily more than a throw away line. Corpus would likely have a substantial advantage if they really did have extra-solar holdings.

On 29.12.2016 at 10:59 PM, Blakrana said:

It is, but at this juncture it's within the bounds of 'will pay more heed when something to show'.

As for Tau or not, it's the most logical candidate, being the destination of the Zariman and Sentients.

Implication seems to be this is why the Orokin had the Sentients build the Solar Rail for them, going by the Crewman Synthesis.

Whilst not impossible, so far we've had no acknowledgement of any established extra-solar Orokin held colonies so they sit in the realm of 'confirmation needed'. As it is, it seems that Tau was the first acknowledged attempt at extra-solar colonisation, at least at this time. 

Might be that invoking Centauri is purely for the sake of the sheer distance involved, seeing as margins likely means 'profit margins' hear.

Classic Warframe metaphorical language, if so.

If there's any greater relevance to the use or mention of Centauri, well...It's not been stressed or emphasised as yet to argue it's necessarily more than a throw away line. Corpus would likely have a substantial advantage if they really did have extra-solar holdings.

Well, question is, what would we find at Tau? Depending on how much truth is in the Lore, we KILLED all Sentients, and since Tau was a Sentient system it'd be a dead system. Then again, we also killed Hunhow, and we all know how that turned out. To me, the most logical place to go would be a closer system. The entire Rail system that is supposed to go beyond Sol is shattered. Basically if Rail travel outside of Sol was re-established, no organization in their right mind would jump to a system that was the home of an enemy that took the combined might of the greatest Empire ever known to defeat. And that just barely. They'd look for a closer system, some place where the Orokin had been and where their tech might still be around. 

At least that is how I see it. It's entirely up to DE. I wouldn't mind going to Tau, it's just it feels too much of a leap. Like we'd be skipping way too much. And looking at some of the projections of where certain stars are, Centauri isn't exactly in the way to Tau Ceti, so there's that. 

1 minute ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

Minor nitpick. Pretty sure the Orokin made the Sentients. They were made by an Archimedian, which was an Orokin 'caste.'

Well, Corpus was mentioned. But my guess is in that context it was meant more as a Clan like large family structure. Rather then an industrialist faction. Archimedians were a caste of humans in the Orokin Empire, divided into smaller (but still quite large) clans or families under the term "corpus". Considering the more tech savy background of the Corpus of our age, it isn't too far fetched to consider those Archimedian Corpus groups as "protocorpus" 

7 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

Minor nitpick. Pretty sure the Orokin made the Sentients. They were made by an Archimedian, which was an Orokin 'caste.'

Sure, that doesnt change the fact that that caste was (in some form) the begining for Corpus, thus protoCorpus. Corpus are in fact more related to Orokin than Grineer, apart from their Queens. Tenno are technicly Orokin but infused with void energy.

Edited by Xardis

I think there are enough main factions as it is. But we could use some sub-factions in the game. We have the Grineer and their Kuva troops and Nightwatch troops. The Corpus and their uh..... Broker teams for the index? Orokin and Infested are their own stuff. Screw the Sentients.

What I'm saying is, we can just add more diversity to the the already pretty diverse factions in the game. (In before Hunhow's soul comes after you >:O)

1 hour ago, Lakais said:

Well, question is, what would we find at Tau? Depending on how much truth is in the Lore, we KILLED all Sentients, and since Tau was a Sentient system it'd be a dead system. Then again, we also killed Hunhow, and we all know how that turned out.

Whilst we defeated the Sentient, there's no explicit mention they were made extinct. And, as noted, the Sentient 'defeat' was ultimately an elaborate feint. For all we know, every sentient 'kill' was just a number of their disposable fragments such as what Hunhow throws at us upon Lua.

Personally we know too little about the details of the Old War to really be able to say 'what happened' definitively just yet.

1 hour ago, Lakais said:

To me, the most logical place to go would be a closer system. The entire Rail system that is supposed to go beyond Sol is shattered. Basically if Rail travel outside of Sol was re-established, no organization in their right mind would jump to a system that was the home of an enemy that took the combined might of the greatest Empire ever known to defeat. And that just barely. They'd look for a closer system, some place where the Orokin had been and where their tech might still be around.

Personally I figure it'd be Tau on the grounds of Narrative causality: it keeps being mentioned and emphasised, between the destination of the Zariman Ten-zero and the purpose of the Sentient in the first place. Similarly as to why it was a given we'd encounter the Sentient eventually.

It's not impossible that there could be 'elsewhere', but it would need some measure of build up I think, else it'd come across as 'out of the blue'.

Actually, there is one supposedly "alien" entity in this game, perhaps the only one we need.

The voice at the end of the War Within, that same voice that praises us if we consumed the Kuva, or chastises us for either trying to control it or destroyed the Kuva. I don't believe that was the Queen, if you consider one of the moments inside the cave, the memory of the Operator's father, what was it he said, as he stared out into the starless black?

"Something's out there, kiddo, watching us."

Doesn't get any more alien than that. No need for new races, or foreign tech, just an entity in the void, responsible for the Tenno's powers.

Edited by RazorTip

32 minutes ago, RazorTip said:

Actually, there is one supposedly "alien" entity in this game, perhaps the only one we need.

The voice at the end of the War Within, that same voice that praises us if we consumed the Kuva, or chastises us for either trying to control it or destroyed the Kuva. I don't believe that was the Queen, if you consider one of the moments inside the cave, the memory of the Operator's father, what was it he said, as he stared out into the starless black?

"Something's out there, kiddo, watching us."

Doesn't get any more alien than that. No need for new races, or foreign tech, just an entity in the void, responsible for the Tenno's powers.

Isnt that just considered the void? If an entity like the void had sentience, then that too could have some major stipulations, but nothing like an alien race appearing out of nowhere. 

6 minutes ago, (PS4)CommanderC2121 said:

Isnt that just considered the void? If an entity like the void had sentience, then that too could have some major stipulations, but nothing like an alien race appearing out of nowhere. 

You didn't read what I wrote. Try again.

I didn't say it had to be an alien race, but a single alien entity, aka, whatever the hell is lurking in the Void, same thing that spoke to us at the end of TWW, same thing that is responsible for our powers.

I'm a dreamer. This is my conclusion.

When i see the world builded in warframe i can't stop looking at the horizon of possibility this game have with his format.

I fell like Teshin in the last scene of TWW staring afar on the top of that snowy rock asking myself, It's that it? bounding ourselves around this ball of eternal fire and rocks? without even trying? Lore is something you write with a dream in mind, and us now, are living in that dream. It's so wrong to imagine warframes going out of the chains of the human generated system? it's so wrong to make our shiny warrior developer know we like the possibility of a bigger scope?.

Maybe it is, we like our charted territory, our animal trails. But i don't think it's right. The masterpieces are born when dudes/dudettes have a visions that people don't usually perceive. I don't want to limit this marvelous combat system with enviroment we expect. Saying this could be taken under the assumption i want content now, but no, i want them to polish our existing story nontheless, but i don't them to think it can't continue.

I have Hopes with this game, and i trust the developers even if they made some arguably wrong moves. Because i saw them growing in skills and visions. And i don't want to be the one who say nay when the next existential hurdle came along, i want them to jump and fly like they did and like the do. I don't want to be the one who cut they're feathers in fear they fly too far, i want to be the perch they pose to listen when they need direction. This game have roughly 4 years, and how much it grew? it tripled or quadrupled his dimension, even with some bugs (but what game have no bugs? event the witcher 3, a game cosidered one of the most beatiful and well done game done until now have some bugs). I Wish them to be unstoppable, to be the second WoW (here, i said it). I'm a realist? sure i am, but i'm not a pessimist. Lore can be costructed whenever and in whatever form you want, you only need to want it, and that the community want it too.

Said that. I like many post in this thread, so i will reiterate my question. Do you want to see more aliens without necessarly be human-connected?

20 minutes ago, Sirfol said:

I'm a dreamer. This is my conclusion.

When i see the world builded in warframe i can't stop looking at the horizon of possibility this game have with his format.

I fell like Teshin in the last scene of TWW staring afar on the top of that snowy rock asking myself, It's that it? bounding ourselves around this ball of eternal fire and rocks? without even trying? Lore is something you write with a dream in mind, and us now, are living in that dream. It's so wrong to imagine warframes going out of the chains of the human generated system? it's so wrong to make our shiny warrior developer know we like the possibility of a bigger scope?.

Maybe it is, we like our charted territory, our animal trails. But i don't think it's right. The masterpieces are born when dudes/dudettes have a visions that people don't usually perceive. I don't want to limit this marvelous combat system with enviroment we expect. Saying this could be taken under the assumption i want content now, but no, i want them to polish our existing story nontheless, but i don't them to think it can't continue.

I have Hopes with this game, and i trust the developers even if they made some arguably wrong moves. Because i saw them growing in skills and visions. And i don't want to be the one who say nay when the next existential hurdle came along, i want them to jump and fly like they did and like the do. I don't want to be the one who cut they're feathers in fear they fly too far, i want to be the perch they pose to listen when they need direction. This game have roughly 4 years, and how much it grew? it tripled or quadrupled his dimension, even with some bugs (but what game have no bugs? event the witcher 3, a game cosidered one of the most beatiful and well done game done until now have some bugs). I Wish them to be unstoppable, to be the second WoW (here, i said it). I'm a realist? sure i am, but i'm not a pessimist. Lore can be costructed whenever and in whatever form you want, you only need to want it, and that the community want it too.

Said that. I like many post in this thread, so i will reiterate my question. Do you want to see more aliens without necessarly be human-connected?

Sorry, dude, but this isn't No Man's Sky, it's not World of Warcraft, it's Warframe. What you want and what the devs want are two completely different things.

If/when we leave the Origin system to Tau and see what the heck the Sentients managed to do there, my expectation is that we'll see alien life, but not necessarily sentient or advanced alien life. So we'll see weird plants, animals, fungi, and maybe even some weird stuff that defies conventional definition. These will add to the new setting, but personally I think that the rapidly-evolving Sentients will be alien enough to sustain my interest in something like what you're describing-- both in form and perspective, they fit the bill.

Also yeah, whatever that Void consciousness is, that's gonna be a thing, yowza.

On 12/29/2016 at 8:10 AM, Blakrana said:

Sci-fi does not mean that Aliens are an intrinsic element of the genre. They are not necessary to write sci-fi whatsoever, so there's no point invoking the genre like it means anything.

Dune.

These are just a few works I can list amidst Sci-fi without any aliens being involved nor necessary.

Absent AliensUrlAdvisorGoodImage.png is a writing device after all.

Reading the various posts hereabouts with intrigue (sci-fi is my jam), and coming across this, I just had to correct you a bit.

The Spice must flow!

Worms, bruh. They aliens, they also central to Dune's plot, because without MacGuffin worms, there be no Dune.

:clem: 

This thread got me thinking of the possibility that the Tau System could be a star closer than the currently known Proxima Centauri. I imagine that the Orokin would have better telescopes than we do and there still is plenty to be discovered.

As for the Void 'Entity', potential idea, I cannot help but draw parallels to Sithis. I guess it works, seeing that we run around assassinating high value targets in Warframe.

And before we see expansion outside of our war-torn system, I hope that the Corpus gets fleshed out more (and more Colonies like the one in the recent quest), there is so much potential in what can be created with the Corpus, that I wonder what the devs are waiting for, since more attention is being paid to the Grineer in comparison.

11 hours ago, Meta_Nexus said:

Reading the various posts hereabouts with intrigue (sci-fi is my jam), and coming across this, I just had to correct you a bit.

The Spice must flow!

Hide contents

Worms, bruh. They aliens, they also central to Dune's plot, because without MacGuffin worms, there be no Dune.

:clem: 

Animals, yes, but not a Sapient Alien race which is what people fixate on when it comes to Aliens and their role in a story.

As noted on TV Tropes:

• In Frank Herbert's Dune series alien plants and animals exist (including the iconic sandworms), but nothing sentient. Rather, the closest to "aliens" are genetically modified humans and animals. These creatures take a variety of shapes, some almost unrecognizable.

Course, I certainly agree that it's somewhat of a pedantic distinction. Realistically even the smallest discovery of life beyond Earth would be an exceptional thing...but in sci-fi, it's not 'enough' it seems unless the non-earth life isn't also some measure of sapient as well.