Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reddit v. Forums

(PSN)Akuma_Asura_

1 minute ago, Zamio said:

Excellent strawman.

DE should listen to all opinions, and they regularly do. I'm saying the way you put your opinion is what differentiates it from useful to vitriolic crap.

That's not strawman, that's bare bones explanation of why Reddit is terrible.

If people only listened to popular opinions we wouldn't have science, we'd still be begging and bowing to the church in the mud.

Just now, Klavinmour said:

That's not strawman, that's bare bones explanation of why Reddit is terrible.

If people only listened to popular opinions we wouldn't have science, we'd still be begging and bowing to the church in the mud.

Yeah, read my edit, I misinterpreted your post.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Akuma_Asura_ said:

The devs aren't just "anyone" they hold power . You don't see principals, mayors, generals, presidents crying everytime someone says something against them

Were you watching the 2016 US Elections? 3 of those 4 groups were doing it on a regular basis.

DE themselves did say what they want from us is our honesty.

We can't just give them white lies all the time, if there's something we really don't like or is a really big problem, we gotta let them know or else they'll go down the wrong direction and keep doing so until someone tells them straight up.

Just now, (PS4)Akuma_Asura_ said:

I didn't say it was ok. I said they shouldn't lose their cool over it 

Well, how many times have you actually seen DE staff lose their cool, compared to how many times they get insulted here on the forums?

I believe there is also a rather prominent politician who is known to lose his cool on Twitter, I hear he's going to be in a rather important job soon.

Just now, ChuckMaverick said:

Well, how many times have you actually seen DE staff lose their cool, compared to how many times they get insulted here on the forums?

I believe there is also a rather prominent politician who is known to lose his cool on Twitter, I hear he's going to be in a rather important job soon.

He's not a politician, he's a businessman and he does it on purpose. 

It's all a part of the act.

They both aren't great.  They're also fairly even, as far as negativity and doomsaying goes.

I very, very much prefer how Reddit is set up, it's difficult to follow more than one conversation going on in a particular thread on the Forums and you can tell what sort of content a thread will offer before you check it out, generally.  However, the upvote/downvote system, while I can't think of how it could be improved and even with disclaimers that the downvote button is not to be used as a disagree button (and I tend to use it as a "you're acting like an &#! and I think less of you for it" button, which honestly isn't that much better), it's very, very much an echo chamber.  And if a particular thread drops past the first page, chances are it ain't ever seeing the light of day again, and while that is true here as well, the up/down system tends to make this problem worse, in my experience.

And while people on the Reddit love clamoring on about how everything negative is censored here, you have to remember that the official forums are intended to represent the game, so moving threads to the right section, editing titles to be less misleading, merging threads into the thread they were supposed to be part of in the first place, and removing outright toxicity and issuing punishments for crossing the line are all reasonable actions, akin to keeping your home tidy.  Not to mention, I tend to see more unmoderated vitriol here than on Reddit, but that could also be because of the relatively smaller community over there and that outright idiotic comments are self-moderated through the up/down system.

EDIT:  About politics, you two above me:  Let's just... not.  Please?   Just not?

Edited by Vox_Preliator

From what I've seen they are largely the same, the key difference is on the forums when someone goes off on an aggressive dev-bashing rant, the mods lock it so that the forum doesn't make fun of them.

On Reddit that doesn't happen so you get a million down votes and people telling the poster to "git good scrub."

Overall the general feelings and consensus towards the game are largely the same.

7 minutes ago, ChuckMaverick said:

If Steve didn't delete his tweets I would show you 

Just now, Vox_Preliator said:

They both aren't great.  They're also fairly even, as far as negativity and doomsaying goes.

I very, very much prefer how Reddit is set up, it's difficult to follow more than one conversation going on in a particular thread on the Forums and you can tell what sort of content a thread will offer before you check it out, generally.  However, the upvote/downvote system, while I can't think of how it could be improved and even with disclaimers that the downvote button is not to be used as a disagree button (and I tend to use it as a "you're acting like an &#! and I think less of you for it" button, which honestly isn't that much better), it's very, very much an echo chamber.  And if a particular thread drops past the first page, chances are it ain't ever seeing the light of day again, and while that is true here as well, the up/down system tends to make this problem worse, in my experience.

And while people on the Reddit love clamoring on bout how everything negative is censored here, you have to remember that the official forums are intended to represent the game, so moving threads to the right section, editing titles to be less misleading, merging threads into the thread they were supposed to be part of in the first place, and removing outright toxicity and issuing punishments for crossing the line are all reasonable actions, akin to keeping your home tidy.  Not to mention, I tend to see more unmoderated vitriol here than on Reddit, but that could also be because of the relatively smaller community over there and that idiotic comments are self-moderated through the up/down system.

That's a very good point.

But don't you think the line between constructive feedback and criticism seem to be very thin?

Like a post can be very constructive but if it gives off the slightest hint of devbashing in any shape, form, or way, it will be locked or deleted and never to reach the eyes of DE, even if it is very important.

Reddit .... one of the only places available to the general public that makes 4chan look like a good place to hold a civil conversation. 

I wouldn't say Reddit is a good place for anything unless abusing everyone around you is your idea of a good time.

Edited by Ailissa

Just now, (PS4)Akuma_Asura_ said:

If Steve didn't delete his tweets I would show you 

Nah Steve never loses his cool.

He's a cool guy we can all talk to and I don't believe he ever deleted his tweets.

And you're right even if they don't say anything negative here, most people who have something negative to say will go straight to their twitters. =/

2 minutes ago, AtroSpiker said:

Like a post can be very constructive but if it gives off the slightest hint of devbashing in any shape, form, or way, it will be locked or deleted and never to reach the eyes of DE, even if it is very important.

Are you serious?

Look through the threads on the front page of GD here on these forums at any time, and most of them will contain open insults against DE or the devs.

Just now, AtroSpiker said:

That's a very good point.

But don't you think the line between constructive feedback and criticism seem to be very thin?

Frankly, I feel if there's "the slightest hint of devbashing" the post could have been made without it at all.  Not to mention I don't think I've seen a thread that was locked or deleted specifically because the OP says thing like "DE screwed up, here's how" and the like, generally I've only seen the ones like "OMFG DE U SO STUPID UR MOM SO FAT U SUUUUCK" get action taken against them.

1 hour ago, Vox_Preliator said:

Frankly, I feel if there's "the slightest hint of devbashing" the post could have been made without it at all.  Not to mention I don't think I've seen a thread that was locked or deleted specifically because the OP says thing like "DE screwed up, here's how" and the like, generally I've only seen the ones like "OMFG DE U SO STUPID UR MOM SO FAT U SUUUUCK" get action taken against them.

It has happened before with another user called ColdExtreme or something like that.

I saw his post on reddit forums about the Hema research and the direction that DE seems to be taking the game and he made a lot of strong points, so then I went ahead and reposted his thread here only to have it locked by a mod soon after, then receiving a warning point for spamming?

Like that's just ridiculous in my opinion.

The forums is just an endless vortex of sadness filled with people that complain about everything and people that defend everything

Reddit is a bipolar hivemind where differing opinions can and will be downvoted to hell on the wrong topic but will be put on a pedestal on the next topic

/wfg/ exists and they're pretty cool for memes and r34 I guess

Discord is basically region chat

In short you are all awful human beings

Just now, TotallyLagging said:

The forums is just an endless vortex of sadness filled with people that complain about everything and people that defend everything

Reddit is a bipolar hivemind where differing opinions can and will be downvoted to hell on the wrong topic but will be put on a pedestal on the next topic

/wfg/ exists and they're pretty cool for memes and r34 I guess

Discord is basically region chat

In short you are all awful human beings

Well it's not really complaints.

It's feedback with some whining on the side.

But again these forums and its people are too dismissive of problems, like you don't bother to hear someone out and try to understand their problem from their angle and perspective before dismissing them as just another ignorant whiner. It could be solid feedback that could of helped improved Warframe, but thanks to you guys so hardcore and hellbent on arguing against a problem instead of collaborating to solve it or try to understand it, you guys just start needless conflicts and argument which leads to the thread getting locked and nothing getting done.

Also the pettiness with posting a negative comment in the first post in an attempt to farm upvotes.

That's just wrong because it deters the importance of the OP. Most people who do this don't even read the OP. And since these posts are often short and derogatory, most people just skim over a long and well written feedback and see that comment below it and read that instead and just upvote it then leave.

That's what these forums have come down to, but in reddit, it's not like that at all.