The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Anyone actually uses channeling mods?

Beggining

Yes! I don't use it very often, but on a few frames I really dig the use of Channeling. I'll usually use channeled melee on frames that I play melee almost exclusively with, and/or those who have a very high energy pool without high Power costs. Examples of this are Volt (Prime), Trinity (Prime) and Inaros. (Yes, melee Volt and Trin. Good times.) While I initially used Life Strike as my exclusive Channel mod, I actually find myself not using it much at all these days, opting for extra damage and that one that boosts Crit rate. Some of these get pretty niche and might not all be "worth it" in the grand scheme of things, but I like it and it gets the job done. And after all, it is still an extra fat pile of damage at your fingertips, it can make mashing E a little more interesting.

If we're talking the new mods, I picked up Dispatch Overdrive like a week ago, but I haven't gotten around to using it yet. Maybe I'll give it a go with Volt this weekend.

5 hours ago, Beggining said:

Looking back at all the channeling melee mods, it occured to me that I've only ever used one channeling mod: Life Strike. Channeling, as a whole, doesn't seem to be very useful. It really doesn't help that melee has a lot of "must" mods like Body Count (which feels like a band-aid mod :v)

So, does anyone use channeling mods? Maybe the new ones, like Dispatch Overdrive?

Eh I've seen them be used for stuff like an excal blade build but other than that, nope only life strike, It soesn't help that they are just generally crap and not worth using.

I've actually been using channeling mods a lot more lately, mostly with Nidus or Volt Prime where energy is easy to come by. 

Hirudo is actually fantastic with channel mods, I feel like I can wipe out anything in seconds (even sorties are a breeze with this). I use the two crit mods and Berserker. Don't bother with Primed Fury or Reach, you'll gain speed pretty damn fast. Blood Rush gives you more crit chance, so it's a must. Reflex Coil and Focus Energy for efficiency, and Killing Blow and Corrupt Charge for damage. It's a stupid fun build, try it. :)

Secura Lecta with gas and the multiplier can cause some series damage as well.

23 hours ago, Alcatraz said:

it's a sacrifice in your overall damage you would be dealing.

Going off the build you provided (and to some extent, all of my Energy+Melee builds) that can definitely be true, but I think for the general consensus, who value utility mods like Life Strike, I think they can find plenty of space for the speed mod.

Especially if you're running with someone like Inaros who doesn't necessarily need Life Strike, switch that out, and you're set! Since he isn't the fastest Warframe around, it's perfect for quick missions back-to-back i.e. Exterminate, Capture, Rescue, etc. At least if you're planning to run a melee-oriented build for the day and will be primarily using it, I think it has a nice place in spaces like that.

A side note: I noticed your Corrupt Charge in your build. That mod is so lovely lol. Put's a smile on my face when I see that in builds since as of late quite a bit of people forgot about the mod lol.

I'm hoping though to see more neat Channeling mods soon!
Or if anything, maybe fix a few such as Focused Defense, because geez, 20% Armor for -140% Efficiency while Channeling. I may add that blocking will at the very least give you a 35% max damage reduction. Assuming you're using Daggers or something since bigger melee weapons are typically 60%-85% max damage reduction, you really have to ask yourself what they were trying to go with this mod, but I digress haha.

Edited by HalfDarkShadow

19 hours ago, Guy6869 said:

It soesn't help that they are just generally crap and not worth using.

For mods like Focused Defense and Quickening, yes generally I agree with that.

BUT, that my friend beyond that, they're more than just "crap". If anything there are many weapons and circumstances that it would absolutely be worth using.

Let's say you have a melee weapon with a base damage of 100.
If you don't know, channeling has a base multiplier of 150%.

Now I'm going to use @Alcatraz's build (on the first page) for this example, get rid of his channeling mods and switch out Focus Energy with any other 60% elemental mod.

1.5 x (100+90+90+60) = 510 damage. So lets add back Killing Blow which should bring it from 150% to 210% (iirc should be a 40% increase now).

2.1 x (100+90+90+60) = 714 damage. Sweet! 40% increase! To note: it's multiplicative and applies to all damage types on the weapon.

Even if you want to get rid of the 60% elemental mod, it's still more beneficial to use Killing blow since, its what, 580 something damage? It's still almost a 15% increase which is nothing to scoff at.

So whoever enjoys Channeling builds out there and wasn't sure how much more damage you're doing, well assuming you're channeling all the time (why would you use channeling mods in the first place if you weren't? lol), you're doing quite a bit! Hell, maybe even more than the rest of your team!
Which also by the way in case you're wondering, yes it's significantly better than Smite mods since you're not limited to a faction and works on Corrupted enemies to boot.

But of course this doesn't mean it would be perfect on all weapons (like trying to use Critical mods on a weapon with a 5% Critical Chance haha), such is the beauty of choice!

So if it ain't your cup-of-tea that's all good, but just know that if you're running a melee-oriented build + a Warframe with an adequate energy pool via Flow or Primed Flow (in other words, you like to play in melee mode majority of the time or just feel like it), then you're missing out on a nice bit of damage that you could be using otherwise over something like Fury (:

Edited by HalfDarkShadow

2 hours ago, digitalRat said:

I've actually been using channeling mods a lot more lately, mostly with Nidus or Volt Prime where energy is easy to come by. 

Hirudo is actually fantastic with channel mods, I feel like I can wipe out anything in seconds (even sorties are a breeze with this). I use the two crit mods and Berserker. Don't bother with Primed Fury or Reach, you'll gain speed pretty damn fast. Blood Rush gives you more crit chance, so it's a must. Reflex Coil and Focus Energy for efficiency, and Killing Blow and Corrupt Charge for damage. It's a stupid fun build, try it. :)

Why didn't I think about Hirudo? With Rage and its passive, it'll probably be reasonably easy to keep energy and health up. I'll try it when I can :D

Got killing blow on my Atterax and Secura Lecta. For those larger enemies that I think need to go down with the rest of the cannon fodder. Energy drain is easily fixed with zenurik. Somehow I channel more with the whips, probably because of the range and the insane amount of enemies you can "touch" with a single swipe. Can't say I find it negatively impacts desecrate much: these two or three bodies you'll miss aren't going to make that much of a difference... 

4 hours ago, Kuestenjung said:

Channeling is like crit or status, the weapon should benefit from it and so far we only have 2 weapons with a higher channeling damage and that are the Furax Wraith and Fragor Prime. If I would use them I would defenitly try a channeling build.

Might I correct you and say there are 3? You missed Synoid Heliocor.

Not going to share how I use them but I use:

Quickening 

Killing Blow

Energy Channel (Well, it's still consuming energy to boost yo damage)

Reflex Coil

Focus Energy

Strangely I reject the idea of using Life strike for like... 99.9% of the time.

I have never used channeling seriously,  never got into it.

But we have so many meleeweapons we are swimming in them. And most of them just feel pointless.

I imagine a new player must be quite overwhelmed with what seems like 100 to choose from, but in actuality many seem to similar and too uninteresting.

I have 11 mellees built just waiting for me to master them. But between them only a few really stand out.

A more channeling-focused category would be nice and give some of them a new role.