Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ok, let me put forth some trading tips

Troll_Logic

Question

After dealing with traders for years, let me put forth a few suggestions to make things a bit easier for sellers and buyers both.

1)  Don't be a jerk.  I know everyone is just about anonymous but that isn't a license for rudeness.  Also, you could be dealing with an eleven year old, so always cut the other tenno a little slack.

2)  Don't be an "offer, offer, offer" tenno.  No one is selling the Hope diamond.  No one is selling an original Picasso.  A loki prime set is worth the same as any other loki prime set.  a Primed flow is worth the same as any other primed flow.  There is a little more fluctuation in a vaulted item or extremely powerful riven mod, but even then, there is a still a range.  I know everyone wants to be the guy that sells a 50p item for 800p because "the other tenno had no idea of the item's value so he wildly overpaid", but again, look to rule one.  Everyone has a price in mind for their item.  Don't give me "the first guy that names a price is the loser" because again, "no one is selling an original Picasso.  Warframe is in a limited universe with limited items.

3)  Don't lie.  Don't be a "I have no idea what this is worth" tenno and when someone offers you a price say "no" because obviously you have some idea of what it's worth.  I'd wager a pretty good idea of what it's worth.  With warframe market, asking other clan members, and just asking random strangers on the trade chat, people know what it's worth.  So don't lie.

4)  Don't hold an "online auction" because that leads to #3.  I know, you want the most plat for your item.  But don't lie.  Don't say "I know you offered 300p for this 400p item, but someone else just offered 420p.  Do you want to beat it?" because everyone knows you're lying.  I just had this happened to me last night.  I was going to buy something that was 300, but the guy said "Sorry, a guy just offered 400.  Do you want to beat it?"  I told him "No.  Take the 400.  That's more than it's worth."  A few minutes later he replied "He just went AFK.  Still want to buy it?"  So don't lie and if you're a buyer, don't be stupid enough to believe anyone who tells you what someone else "offers."

5)  Have price for an item you're selling.  That makes things quick and easy.  Other players know how much you want.  There isn't any lowballing.  There isn't any arguing back and forth until someone types a number.  The buyer knows what you want and can negotiate.  Publishing a price makes things fast and easy for both players.

6)  This works for buying as well.  If you want something specific put how much you want to pay in your message and trust me, if you are offering a fair price someone will reply.  That's the fastest way to buy something.

7)  Keep typing to a minimum.  Don't be one of those guys that types "hmmmmm", "idk", and so on.  Often tenno have multiple tabs open and are talking to multiples tenno at the same time.  When someone types "hmmmmm" over and over, it makes the tenno continually have to check the blinking tab.

8)  Often trades are welcome for something in lieu of plat, but don't offer a trade for the same amount.  For example, let's say you want to buy a Loki Prime set for 250p but you don't have 250p.  If you want the seller to entertain your trade offer, don't offer 250p worth of prime parts because that isn't a straight trade.  Sure, the "platinum values" may be "the same", but if it takes 4 additional trades to get that 250p, then it's a lot more work.  Offer more in value if you want the buyer to take parts instead of plat.

9)  Don't have a dojo tax.  Dojo stuff is cheap.  Refer to #1 if you're thinking of setting your dojo tax rate to 10% or honestly, to anything really.  Don't screw over your buyers by fleecing them for more credits.

10)  Give the buyer a little time to reply.  I can't tell you how many times I've offered something for sale, an interested buyer replies with a number, and twenty seconds later I get a "?"  Ten seconds later "?"  Another ten "?"  Then another "?"  Keep in mind that when someone sells something there is a good chance multiple tenno are replying.  Give the seller a little time to get back to you.

11)  Try to be as specific as possible.  I know I make this mistake all the time.  If you want an unranked mod say that.  If you want ranked, say that.  If you want a set, say that.  If you want a specific BP, say that.  If you want a specific items as opposed to the syndicate version, specify that.  Again, I make this mistake all the time.

12)  Don't try to renegotiate the price in the trading screen.  Don't be in the middle of a trade and say "Can you pay a little more?"  This happens way more than it should.  If two players make a deal, stick with that deal.

13)  Don't worry if you can't make a deal.  It's ok.  Maybe the seller wants too much or the buyer wants a better deal.  There's always another item out there so don't take not getting the price you want personally.  You can buy it later.

14)  Be nice & forgiving.  People make mistakes all the time.  They'll reply to sell something they don't have.  (I've done this a lot.)  All this mistake costs is the little time it takes to go to the dojo and back.  Sometimes people need weapons' slots.  Or they don't have enough credits.  Or they don't don't know about the prime tax.  It's fine.  It's just a little annoying.  Not a biggie.

Everyone wants the same thing.  Everyone wants the quickest trade possible.  Be honest with each other, make a deal, respect the other tenno if you can't, and get back to playing.

If everyone could read this now and follow it, the trade chat would a nicer environment for everyone.

Another tip:

Treat people how you want them to treat you. If you act in a respectful way then the other person will do the same.

Don't be afraid to negotiate, most of the time not everyone is hard pressed to a price.

I just type offer"

like saying whats your price or how much are you willing to pay for it, but i dont wanna type a whole sentence so i just say "offer

some guys wont reply because they want you to pm price, but most people dont know the price of the item so they say "offer

but if you send a price then you sell yourself short if you dont know your items worth, if your a seller always ask "offer. if you already know your items worth you can either send pm price, or just a short "offer". sometimes you send price and you dont get an answer, since i mostly sell items, you'll always get "offer" message from me. its a lot easier and faster specially if your dealing with multiple people and trade chat going too fast.

Edited by (PS4)manila_X

I'm an offer tenno because usually (i.e. in my experience) listing a price disadvantages you because it either discourages people from talking to you altogether or invites people to try and severely undercut the listing. Please notice that statement is opinion and not hard fact as results may vary. When I do this I usually get 2 types of replies. The first are people who actually send numerical values/parts offer. I usually barter until an agreeable deal is reached (I usually only spend plat on slots and cosmetics so a lot of the time I dip under what I wanted to sell my items for)

The second response I usually get is a "price?", "hm?", or "how much?" I tend to be stiffer on bartering with this tennotype than others though I cannot say why. (Perhaps I associate this with a more douchebag/swindler type player?) While I don't refuse to be flexible it starts looking like an episode of Pawn Stars at times.

As for telling others that the item they are bargaining for has been given a better offer..I have told people this. However it wasnt a renegotiation/auction, it was me letting them know the item had been sold. If I let them know how much it sold for its for them to know what maybe to expect from other sellers in the future.  (Even if they try to offer a higher price I consider the deal closed at this point. I don't like to screw over players who have bartered fairly)

All in all this is a great advice thread and my two cents were just thrown in to offer alternative viewpoints on how people go about trading.

Great post OP!

Whenever I ask a player how much they want for an item, and they respond "offer", I just say no thanks. There are folks who love to haggle back and forth and folks who want to save time and be direct, I am in the latter camp. Keep in mind there is no animosity towards these players from me, it's just not how I enjoy trade.

The players who like to pm me with comments like "good luck selling x item at that price" can be entertaining at times. When you offer me half of what my listed price is and I say no thank you, there is no need to get snarky.

I post pricing to save me time and make it easy for those who appreciate up front pricing. Folks will sometimes offer slightly less than what my price is, and I hardly ever have a problem with that. 

On 1/21/2017 at 10:42 PM, (PS4)manila_X said:

I just type offer"

like saying whats your price or how much are you willing to pay for it, but i dont wanna type a whole sentence so i just say "offer

some guys wont reply because they want you to pm price, but most people dont know the price of the item so they say "offer

but if you send a price then you sell yourself short if you dont know your items worth, if your a seller always ask "offer. if you already know your items worth you can either send pm price, or just a short "offer". sometimes you send price and you dont get an answer, since i mostly sell items, you'll always get "offer" message from me. its a lot easier and faster specially if your dealing with multiple people and trade chat going too fast.

If someone says WTS  X ITEM and i reply "How much" and they say "offer"  I move on immediately. That's a clear signal they aren't serious. If you WTS... you should have a price. It's YOUR job to do the research on the item you want to sell, not mine. If I say WTB, and someone pops in with "offer"? that's fair... I'm buying, I should have the price in mind i want to buy for.

Honestly what is the alternative? if were to reply to the "offer" request  i'm going to think of a fair price then cut that in half anyway so I don't sell MYSELF short, if you don't know the price maybe i can get away with a really low price. Now you have to counter with your price ANYWAY.... it doesn't actually help.

On 1/21/2017 at 9:23 PM, Troll_Logic said:

5)  Have price for an item you're selling.  That makes things quick and easy.  Other players know how much you want.  There isn't any lowballing.  There isn't any arguing back and forth until someone types a number.  The buyer knows what you want and can negotiate.  Publishing a price makes things fast and easy for both players.

6)  This works for buying as well.  If you want something specific put how much you want to pay in your message and trust me, if you are offering a fair price someone will reply.  That's the fastest way to buy something.

I actually NEVER do this. This is bad advice for sellers if you mean put the price in the initial post. If I post WTS X for 500p there will be someone immediately posting after WTS X for 495. It invites a bidding war. I always have a price when I say WTS X, and when they say how much in a private msg i post an amount in my reply. But I don't post the amount in Trade chat because i don't' want to deal with 5 plat undersellers

Edited by Shockwave-

I always sell mods with this trick. it works but it doesn't sometimes xD

Example, i wanna sell my Heavy Caliber for 35p. Im comfortable with 35p when selling it. So i always add 3 or 2p si it will be WTS Heavy Caliber 38p. Most people will bargain it for 35p because its cheaper than 38p. but sometimes, people will just buy it for how much you put in in the trade chat. 

;)

3 hours ago, Shockwave- said:

If someone says WTS  X ITEM and i reply "How much" and they say "offer"  I move on immediately. That's a clear signal they aren't serious. If you WTS... you should have a price. It's YOUR job to do the research on the item you want to sell, not mine. If I say WTB, and someone pops in with "offer"? that's fair... I'm buying, I should have the price in mind i want to buy for.

IMO, sellers should always offer a price, even if someone puts WTB in the chat tab.  If I go to a store and want to buy something, I don't expect the employees to ask me to offer a price for their goods.  It's still a good idea for the buyer to have a price in mind, but ultimately the first overture should come from the seller.

I copletely agree with the idea that you should list your price as a seller.  I do it all the time and it makes me more likely to get customers, have smooth transactions, and not waste a bunch of time in trade chat with window shoppers.  

When a seller says PM offer, it tells me as a buyer that they are either lazy, ignorant, or out to rip someone off.  I rarely buy from or even contact these players.

One time a person posted WTS some item.  

I pm "how much plat are you asking for some item?" 

Response "offer"

My response "a half eaten butterscotch and some pocket lint" 

The seller was pretty amused and sent back what he wanted for the item. I did purchase his asking price, he was a good sport and we both had a few laughs in chat.

On 22.1.2017 at 3:23 AM, Troll_Logic said:

14)  Be nice & forgiving.  People make mistakes all the time.  They'll reply to sell something they don't have

Thank you for this line. At the end of the day Warframe is just a game and it should make everyone smile.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:23 PM, Troll_Logic said:

1)  Don't be a jerk. (...)

3)  Don't lie.  (...)

Great post, thanks for it. I really want to emphasize above tips. Also from the console point of view I have few others.

- Listing price will get you trade easier. Typing on console is harder, so people seem to respond more often to listed price and you don't have to deal with people who just want to know the price and don't really buy/sell.

- turn ON "chat message timestamps" - it helps in case of late responses

- turn OFF "inline private messages" - it helps keeping multiple conversations organized and not inject messages from other players to chat with someone else. This is especially important because when you type you don't see the conversation so costly mistake can happen easier (if I could only turn off the on-screen keyboard when I have external one connected...).

- don't be a jerk - if you don't agree to the price (be it listed or messaged) just reply "nty" or nothing at all. Little haggling is OK, but cutting seller by 30% or offering item to buyer for 30% more is not.

15 hours ago, Shockwave- said:

I actually NEVER do this. This is bad advice for sellers if you mean put the price in the initial post. If I post WTS X for 500p there will be someone immediately posting after WTS X for 495. It invites a bidding war. I always have a price when I say WTS X, and when they say how much in a private msg i post an amount in my reply. But I don't post the amount in Trade chat because i don't' want to deal with 5 plat undersellers

I don't want to say that this will never happen, but I would say it's extremely rare.  First, the text scrolls too fast.  Second, say if it did happen, who cares?  It isn't like there are twenty people playing the game.  There are thousands on at a time so if someone sells their Heavy Caliber for 5p less than me, there is another person coming up next who wants to buy a Heavy Caliber.

As for a bidding war, I've never seen a bidding war except when an item will be released from Baro that day or some event/unvaulting brings it back and everyone is trying to unloaded their stuff before the market is flooded.

13 hours ago, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

IMO, sellers should always offer a price, even if someone puts WTB in the chat tab.  If I go to a store and want to buy something, I don't expect the employees to ask me to offer a price for their goods.  It's still a good idea for the buyer to have a price in mind, but ultimately the first overture should come from the seller.

I disagree, if I'm trying to sell some other things and someone says WTB X and I happen to have one but wasn't really thinking about selling it I'm fine saying "offer". They are looking to buy I wasn't really looking to sell, but for the right premium price I might. I haven't put much thought into it, I assume the buyer has in that case. There is nothing wrong with offering a price, but there is nothing wrong with asking for an offer from someone broadcasting a WTB.

18 hours ago, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

The problem I have with this analogy is trade chat isn't like a sore in the least. It more like a bazaar/flea market or the stock exchange. Can't exactly go to a gas station and haggle down a bag of chips.

12 hours ago, (Xbox One)Deflinek said:

Great post, thanks for it. I really want to emphasize above tips. Also from the console point of view I have few others.

- Listing price will get you trade easier. Typing on console is harder, so people seem to respond more often to listed price and you don't have to deal with people who just want to know the price and don't really buy/sell.

- turn ON "chat message timestamps" - it helps in case of late responses

- turn OFF "inline private messages" - it helps keeping multiple conversations organized and not inject messages from other players to chat with someone else. This is especially important because when you type you don't see the conversation so costly mistake can happen easier (if I could only turn off the on-screen keyboard when I have external one connected...).

- don't be a jerk - if you don't agree to the price (be it listed or messaged) just reply "nty" or nothing at all. Little haggling is OK, but cutting seller by 30% or offering item to buyer for 30% more is not.

I would recommend straight out saying "nty" as not replying could lead them to believe you are contemplating the offer. Best to not waste both players time.

10 hours ago, Shockwave- said:

I disagree, if I'm trying to sell some other things and someone says WTB X and I happen to have one but wasn't really thinking about selling it I'm fine saying "offer". They are looking to buy I wasn't really looking to sell, but for the right premium price I might. I haven't put much thought into it, I assume the buyer has in that case. There is nothing wrong with offering a price, but there is nothing wrong with asking for an offer from someone broadcasting a WTB.

Again, this is my opinion, but I still feel like the seller has the obligation to set a price (this is from someone who sells a lot more often than I buy).  If the buyer has a realistic idea of the price, then you won't get your premium price.  If the buyer doesn't have a realistic idea they'll either give you a very low price or a very high price.  In the case of the former, once again you didn't get your premium price.  In the case of the latter, it raises some ethical concerns (again, IMO).  Also, if you don't have a price in mind to sell, how would you know whether someone offers you a premium price or not?

4 hours ago, (Xbox One)Ubern00ber88 said:

The problem I have with this analogy is trade chat isn't like a sore in the least. It more like a bazaar/flea market or the stock exchange. Can't exactly go to a gas station and haggle down a bag of chips.

Even in a bazaar or flea market there are vendors who set prices.  They may set a higher price than they'd accept and they may be OK with haggling, but it doesn't change the general rule that sellers set the initial prices.

4 hours ago, (Xbox One)Ubern00ber88 said:

I would recommend straight out saying "nty" as not replying could lead them to believe you are contemplating the offer. Best to not waste both players time.

Yes to this!

On 1/24/2017 at 5:11 AM, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

if you dont know the price of what your selling just ask his price... then add a bit more to it... profit

if he's looking for a rare piece he will bite, made a lot of plat doing it this way

Just now, (PS4)manila_X said:

if you dont know the price of what your selling just ask his price... then add a bit more to it... profit

if he's looking for a rare piece he will bite, made a lot of plat doing it this way

Is it really profit?  If you don't know the price, then how do you know whether the offer you get back from the buyer is reasonable?  How do you know it's profit if you end up underselling something because you simply added 5 or 10 plat to the seller's initial offer when you may have been able to sell for more had you actually investigated the price?  This just goes to show that as a seller, you should know the price you want for an item, if only to protect yourself from losing plat on a sale.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)manila_X said:

I agree with @(Xbox One)R3d P01nt above. What profit if you don't know how much it was worth in the first place? Just do some experiment in the evening or on weekend when there is more people in the trade chat. Pick relatively rare item that you know the price of at least 50 plat and try to sell it asking for offers. You will see for yourself.