Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frost or Nyx

(XBOX)anaconda legend

Question

Right now I have Frost and zephyr and I'm currently making ash prime. I can make Nyx but I'm not sure if she's worth playing. I really like zephyr so I definitely don't want to get rid of her. The only option is to get replace frost. I checked Nyx's abilities and she sounds like a fun frame. So just asking if I should replace frost with nyx.

1 minute ago, SeaUrchins said:

Dream on. She's a nerfed bucket with second hand passive ripped from Loki, while Frost is pretty much an elephant in the room with 100 waves of solo void defense record in his pocket.

New passive, buff her CC. Or bring Frost down to her level.

I called for framequality!

I'd farm some things and sell the parts for play to buy additional slots.

Also figure out what your play style is.

They are both CC frames but Nyx is a more fragile frame that literally turns enemies against each other and Frost is great at stopping enemies in their tracks not to mention that his new augment for avalanche negates a lot of damage against him and the whole party of done right.

1 minute ago, Dartiel said:

I called for framequality!

Nope. Frost got invulnerable globe, hard CC to stop any attack, freezing wave, slowing enemies as good as Nova's 4th skill, controlling even bosses, and finisher damage when hitting enemies against walls with his globe.

And Nyx can... make enemies shoot around randomly, damn, what a brilliant CC frame. Even Loki dwarfs her in CC.

2 minutes ago, Artorius-Alter said:

You can't go wrong either way.

Also, try and research what P2W actually is before tossing that phrase around, you're just making yourself look bad now in a game where money literally can't help you win at anything.

No p2w until there are fashion-frame contests at least.

On 22/01/2017 at 8:38 PM, SeaUrchins said:

Frost stomps Nyx in terms of CC (and damage and utility) in any given mission, you'd basicly substitute warframe's god of CC with a rusty slop bucket if you sold Frost for Nyx.

you sure? how about hijack :)

OP, if you really don't want to spend moneh, which is off course your prerogative, nor want to make -any- effort, be it vault or otherwise, to expand your slots, allowing you to have both, then you will have to find some way to make your choice.

There still is no objective way to tell you whether to go for Frost or Nyx, there really isn't. I find Nyx to be tons more fun then Frost will ever be, yet when I want to run a high level defense, I'm more inclined to take my Frost Prime out for snowglobe. And if there already is a Frost, you damn right I'll take my Nyx instead.

There is no wrong choice, if you love things like ice and freezing enemies, as well as being the defacto choice for defense, go Frost. If you love things like mind control or causing chaos and mayhem on the battlefield, go Nyx. It's playstyle and preference, OP.

You have Frost, for now I advice sticking with him until you know him reasonably well, in the mean time, farm and build Nyx. Remember, you can leave Ash Prime in your foundry, sitting pretty, while you try Nyx, Ash Prime won't take up a slot until you claim him from the foundry. If you don't like Nyx, max her, sell her, claim Ash Prime, if you do like Nyx, but want Ash Prime also, -then- you can see about whether you like Frost or Nyx more, and get rid of one of them.

Out here everyone will give you an answer based on their own preferences. From me you get a solid preference for Nyx, while others consider her garbage compared to Frost.

Edited by Artorius-Alter

Nyx can generally be only played in one way: Absorb with a little bit of Chaos

Frost can be played many ways: a CC, a defense, a battlemage, a team tank, and a solo parkour tank

If you want to cheese the game, go with Nyx. If you want to have a frame that can be built a variety of ways, go with Frost

14 minutes ago, KotoKuraken said:

Frost can be played many ways: a CC, a defense, a battlemage, a team tank, and a solo parkour tank

If you want to cheese the game, go with Nyx. If you want to have a frame that can be built a variety of ways, go with Frost

What, no Mind Control..?

28 minutes ago, KotoKuraken said:

Nyx is easy-play...super smooth.

Prior to assimilate, absorb was the frame version of a shelter mod.

For scaling towards end-game, most will use a rangy, repeating, quick cast Chaos  with efficiency because the "headache" animation is essentially a stagger/knockdown. 

Bolts is fairly useless except for tagging enemies in walls or wierd locations.

Even with the Mind Freak Augment, Mind Control isn't effective.  The 400% boost should be part of the original power for enemies with such slow, limited AI.

Not that it's what I wanted, but Volt's newer 4, Discharge, renders Chaos fairly obsolete.  

She needs a rework.

1 hour ago, Artorius-Alter said:

Out here everyone will give you an answer based on their own preferences.

Not at all. These are facts:

Globe > Absorb because it is potentially invulnerable due to recasts, while Absorb is roughly 300K damage shield most likely blown away by your squadmate with a tonkor, which either roots you or makes you a sitting slowly walking duck.

Avalance > Chaos because it stops any malicious actions from enemies, while with chaos they can still kill you.

I won't even mention the lameness of pacifying bolts, as their stun is cancelled with a impact proc and mind control, which relies on the overall-not-so-smart AI.

These are the reasons why in situations where you mission's success is at stake it is Frost whom you prefer to see, not Nyx. The only "preference" here is that people prefer to choose the better one out of the two.

And lemme laugh at hijack missions, which you can faceroll without any kind of CC or weapons.

Nyx needs a rework and she needs it badly. And as long as you people continue calling her "empress" and other nonsense, she will never get out of her trash status. You are ignoring the issues with her for imaginary advantages.

Edited by SeaUrchins

On 1/22/2017 at 7:52 AM, JalakBali said:

Uhhh.... I don't know how you'd "win" in this game if you spent your plat on pretty colors and scarves.

You can't "win" anything in this game by paying. There is nothing you can buy that will make you "win" more. Except maybe beauty contests.

#FashionFrameisLove #FashionFrameisLife

14 minutes ago, SeaUrchins said:

Globe > Absorb because it is potentially invulnerable due to recasts, while Absorb is roughly 300K damage shield most likely blown away by your squadmate with a tonkor, which either roots you or makes you a sitting slowly walking duck.

Avalance > Chaos because it stops any malicious actions from enemies, while with chaos they can still kill you.

I won't even mention the lameness of pacifying bolts, as their stun is cancelled with a impact proc and mind control, which relies on the overall-not-so-smart AI.

These are the reasons why in situations where you mission's success is at stake it is Frost whom you prefer to see, not Nyx. The only "preference" here is that people prefer to choose the better one out of the two.

And lemme laugh at hijack missions, which you can faceroll without any kind of CC or weapons.

Nyx needs a rework and she needs it badly. And as long as you people continue calling her "empress" and other nonsense, she will never get out of her trash status. You are ignoring the issues with her for imaginary advantages.

I love my Nyx, but Qft^^^^^^^^.

43 minutes ago, SeaUrchins said:

Definitely agree with this. The problem is people fall in love with a frame, or a build, good or bad. They then proceed to convince themselves how good it is, and no matter how much reason you hit them with, very rarely will they see otherwise. It's like saying you know the best way to make poop taste better. Like what? Haha you may be right but.... yeah no. I have a friend who swears the only way he builds Mesa is for her 1..... like what? No matter how good you make something bad, its still bad, especially in comparison to other things you could be doing. I don't know where the love for Nyx's current iteration comes from (so strongly), but I do hope they give her that Frosty pass. He was decent before (oversolid because only best bubble in game which was invaluable) but after rework he's damn near perfect. I hope Nyx can get the same treatment. (and not your treatment, TRAsh)

~Az

18 minutes ago, Azlen said:

Definitely agree with this. The problem is people fall in love with a frame, or a build, good or bad. They then proceed to convince themselves how good it is, and no matter how much reason you hit them with, very rarely will they see otherwise. It's like saying you know the best way to make poop taste better. Like what? Haha you may be right but.... yeah no. I have a friend who swears the only way he builds Mesa is for her 1..... like what? No matter how good you make something bad, its still bad, especially in comparison to other things you could be doing. I don't know where the love for Nyx's current iteration comes from (so strongly), but I do hope they give her that Frosty pass. He was decent before (oversolid because only best bubble in game which was invaluable) but after rework he's damn near perfect. I hope Nyx can get the same treatment. (and not your treatment, TRAsh)

~Az

It's also because Nyx.. when you think about it, really hasn't changed, she hasn't been nerfed or anything. It's only because other frames like Frost or even Loki have been improved, that Nyx is suddenly considered Mag level trash, I remember the whole ''hurr durr, Radial Disarm, Nyx now worthless'' thing for one.

Yes, I love playing Nyx, and I don't care how Frost may be objectively better then her in x skill, I play Nyx because I enjoy playing her more then Frost, and that's the only reason I need.

I also rarely play ''super max high level ultra efficiency required'' missions in which even minor differences in how one frame is better then another are crucial, so I tend to not give a damn. I don't play raids/trial, and when I go into sorties, I tend to go with my Ivara or Mirage, and no, I don't own a Simulor of any kind.

I would welcome a Nyx rework though, if anything I will admit her skills have become rather dated compared to the reworks a lot of frames have gotten.

Edited by Artorius-Alter

1 hour ago, Artorius-Alter said:

she hasn't been nerfed or anything

You are mistaken, her absorb had its energy drain tied to incoming damage (back in 2014), which was clearly a nerf and made absorbing Nyx a subject to trolling by her squad mates. Before that 4 absorbing Nyx players could do to ODD what 2 maimquinoxes can now do pretty much to any defence mission: annihilate the room playing hot potato with tonns of damage.

There are holy cows in this game, which get OP augments and will probably never be nerfed (hey, see Ivara stomping 150 waves of solo interception? let's grant her augment so she moves faster in her permanent invisibility and passes magnetic doors without triggering procs or alarms) and there are underdogs like Nyx, who get half baked augments that hardly work (hallo Pacifying Bolts) and second hand passives (there, have this gnawed bone from "master race" Loki as a passive, now your mind controlled napalm will turn into a melee unit next time you attempt recasting your first skill).

I am not a Nyx hater, but you can't compare her to Frost, who is one of the "holy cows" of the game.

Edited by SeaUrchins

But at least her Chaos do better than Loki's radiation proc, while Loki's Disarm do better in disarming than Nyx's passive.both are balance for me.

So yes, rework/buff is needed so my Empress could be an Empress once more and make Loki her *@##$.

But back to the topic and be serious, what other said about buying plat or selling parts for plat is the best option. You never know what frames will be the "holy cow" in the future

So, get all the frames if you could. And get the one that fit your play style first so you could enjoy the game.

both are excellent frames: Frost is the king of Defense, a half decent globe build with or without the Augment will make any Defense, Mobile Defense or Interception pretty easy. Nyx is more about Crowd Control, get a good chaos build with a ton of range and you can turn the entire battlefield into a big free for all. both are capable of completely screwing over the enemy if you know what to do with them.

and if Plat is a problem, farm for prime parts or Corrupted Mods and sell them, you don't have to open your wallet, you just have to be motivated enough to put up with Trade Chat.

People are just... talking for the sake of talking... without thinking or analyzing.

Both Frost and Nyx are good frames.

Frost uses his globe to protect and avalanche to wreck(mostly about damaging enemies).... but need to build him well.. and frost hate nullifiers.

Nyx on the other hand is no direct damaging move like avalache but she cannot spellbound almost the whole map with her chaos, you can then kill off the enemies harmless if you are not meleeing. With the correct build, her absorb can tank through a lot of missions even in sortie.

The most useful power of nyx is her chaos, a definite team player with that... and with that, teammates can kill off enemies way easier too. In similar stand & idea as nova's molecular prime.

On 22.1.2017 at 1:52 PM, JalakBali said:

Uhhh.... I don't know how you'd "win" in this game if you spent your plat on pretty colors and scarves.

You can't "win" anything in this game by paying. There is nothing you can buy that will make you "win" more. Except maybe beauty contests.

you winning fashion frame the greatest part of Warframe´s endgame so Warframe is pay to win

In response for the Op pay to win is when you can buy something in a game that gives you a obvious advantage over other players slots just let you store more stuff witch a player how don´t buy plat also have access trough trading and take Nyx she´s to god dam fun

We should all just agree Nyx need some rework but both Nyx and Frost has their own uses and actually make a decent combo.

Also, apart from Nyx's already decent Chaos, she really need something to help her not be Chaos spammer frame.

Mind control need more control, there is already another thread about how stupid some enemies are if mind controlled.

Psychic Bolt is a mini Chaos with mini damage and mini knockdown with unrealiable targeting,  which need to be replaced or heavily rework. I'd rather cast Chaos and shoot than use this ability.

Absorb is great for a panic button but need forced taunt for reliable CC, this is also noted in another thread about Nyx's abilities. (Edit : also a hard cap for energy drain if it didn't already has it)

Ideally all frame abilities should scale for endless mission.

example : x fixed damage + y% target's max health damage should be the simple default damage modifier for abilities.

Edited by Dartiel