Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Maiming Strike Needs A Nerf

Tesseract7777

Before anyone starts in -- I own Maiming Strike. I paid 0 platinum for it because I got lucky and it from the event (didn't even farm it that hardcore). There is no bitterness here. I am not asking for nerfs because I don't have something, paid a lot for something, or had trouble getting it. For me personally, getting Maiming Strike was easy. 

But I think it needs some serious balancing. Maiming Strike often goes for 800p in trade chat. This is absolutely ludicrous. I could easily make an insane amount of plat selling mine if I wished to. The reason is that in its current form, Maiming Strike (while godly on certain things, but we will get to that later) is truly so expensive because it makes every weapon zerkable. Normally only crit weapons can make use of Berserker, and this is part of the reason status builds see so little play. But with Maiming Strike every single weapon in the game is essentially zerkable. 

This is a twofold problem. First, Maiming Strike is far too much of a pseudo-mandatory bandaid. Even if it were an easy to get mod, that would still be a problem. It is a bandaid for the melee system and the way it works makes some things get disproportionately larger crit numbers. The reason is because it is additive, and not multiplicative (like most mods in the game!!). This makes it work funny, almost as if it was intended to make status weapons work with Berserker. But it also means that on some crit weapons it is going to be insanely godly, and on nearly all weapons it can guarantee use of Berserker. 

First, Maiming Strike needs to be balanced. The first step is to make it multiplicative instead of additive. Then, the actual percentage number needs to be increased to reflect this, so almost all crit weapons can get the crit numbers they are looking for with it, but non crit weapons will no longer come close to achieving such. 

Then, we come to the second part of the problem. The second part of the problem is that Berserker is such a powerful melee mod, and this causes people to gravitate to crit builds (unless they have Maiming Strike). So my solution is to balance Maiming Strike, but add a mod that is basically Berserker except with a different name, and activates when you apply status instead of when you land a critical hit (and this should not be an event mod, normal drop tables please and thank you). 

This would make Maiming Strike more like Argon Scope (an optional playstyle crit/increase mod that is cool, but not truly breaking the game into pieces), and doesn't necessarily always give you better numbers, but it depends on how you play, giving you more choices. 

A new status Berserker mod would also solve the problem of those who are upset they lost their way to zerk a status weapon, buff status to be closer to crit, and make melee as a whole feel more balanced. 

What do you all think about this? Is Maiming Strike in a good place? Should we have a Berserker for status, or is Berserker itself a staple (almost mandatory) that needs to be toned down? Should be Maiming Strike be multiplicative instead, and if so should its base number be buffed? 

What are your thoughts? This may be a feedback thread I would like the devs to see, but the more Tenno opinions the better the feedback for them to see. Do you think what I listed in this thread is a problem? If so, and you don't think my solutions are the best, how would you solve it? 

No my friend, it should stay is it is now. Not many weapons can benefit from it, other are just good without it. I dont understand why would you want a nerf. I would not sacrifice a slot on every weapon just to put a Maiming Strike. Try playing Status Builds if you dont like spin2win.

1 minute ago, mobilehacker said:

No my friend, it should stay is it is now. Not many weapons can benefit from it, other are just good without it. I dont understand why would you want a nerf. I would not sacrifice a slot on every weapon just to put a Maiming Strike. Try playing Status Builds if you dont like spin2win.

I talked about status builds in my thread. Why would you say "try playing status builds" when much of the point of my thread was that Maiming Strike is super popular because of the way it buffs status builds? 

1 minute ago, MrFoxAos said:

how about instead of nerfing crit set ups buff status ones? 

Well that is part of the point. In my full post, perhaps you missed if skimming, it is a bit long. I mentioned multiple times that what we need in its place is a zerker mod that gives you stacks when you apply status instead of crit. This would bring status up more alongside crit. 

It seems from the first few replies that most didn't read anything beyond the title? 

Edited by Tesseract7777

I bought it for 800p, then a week later i sold it.

Reason, it is not worth it. Sure its strong, but in places you would using it... you can make red crit builds already.. using combo counter.

I dont thing it needs to be nerfed. But i do think it should return soon.

Only reason it cost so much.... is because you can not get it in game. 

Look at Snipetron Vandel and other wraith weapons. Just last month they were like 600-1000 each. Now they are under 200.

1 minute ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Well that is part of the point. In my full post, perhaps you missed if skimming, it is a bit long. I mentioned multiple times that what we need in its place is a zerker mod that gives you stacks when you apply status instead of crit. This would bring status up more alongside crit. 

tbh i did just scim trough it im just a bit tierd of nerfing to balance when we could just buff to it and make eveyr thing useable :/

Perhaps I should have been more descriptive in the title knowing people prefer to skim long posts. 

My point is that Maiming Strike's popularity belies that fact that status is underpowered without zerker. 

That's why I propose buffing status with a new status zerker mod. 

And if you read closely, I am not really suggesting a HARD nerf to Maiming Strike, but a hard nerf to using it for Berzerker with status weapons. 

My goal would be to make it multiplicative instead of additive, but increase the percentage number high enough that most crit viable weapons could still use it for guaranteed crits. But low enough that it would not be viable for status weapons with low crit numbers to utilize. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

Just now, FilthyStatusPT said:

Shouldn't be nerfed. Its good how it is.

On the other hand , we should get some status build buffs. I think that is what we need.

Even if it isn't nerfed, I think Maiming Strike's existence and the way people abuse it is evidence we need status based Berserker mod. 

There is nothing wrong with this mod besides the extremely low supply and massive demand for it. Maiming Strike is not the end all be all mod for melee weapons, in most cases, it's actually trash compared to when you can place berserker and blood rush on a weapon with 10% crit chance and still slaughter enemies. Maiming is fine as it is, and if anything, the only nerf that should be implemented is to lower the slide attack crit chance to 75% or so. Nothing is wrong other than DE has generated melee in a way that the only viable build for 99% of the weapons is crit. DE's melee is the issue, not this mod.

Maiming strike is stupid powerful in a great number of weapons because it stacks with the combo counter as base crit.  This permits weapons that could never ever see red crits to suddenly start doing double and triple red crits.  At a 2x combo, maiming strike gives 238.5% crit when used with blood rush.  It's how you get the secura lecta to hit everything for millions, while procing gas clouds and electric stuns everywhere.  But, you don't even need a huge range for it to be effective, since once it's on your melee weapon, the most powerful attack you have at any range becomes your spin attack.  Weapons like nami scyla and the normal boltace will see huge damage when hitting with their spins.

Even weapons that are already powerful without it can get a boost from it.  Something like the galatine prime or the fraggor prime will get a guaranteed crit on the first swing, getting your damage output built up much faster if your combo and berserker buff had dropped off.  The mod allows you to predictably crit with any weapon, forcing a bloodrush proc.  There's no mod that allows you to force a status proc on any weapon you put it on.  Once your combo is going, the spin attack will still hit harder than anything else, but will require careful aim on short range or slow weapons.  

There is nothing that compares for front end damage when it comes to status.  Weeping wounds with relentless combination can do great things on certain weapons, but it is slow to build up, can be difficult to maintain, and is effective on a far smaller pool of weapons with very specific stats.  

Bottom line: status needs a buff and maiming strike + blood rush is a bit op.

52 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Perhaps I should have been more descriptive in the title knowing people prefer to skim long posts. 

My point is that Maiming Strike's popularity belies that fact that status is underpowered without zerker. 

That's why I propose buffing status with a new status zerker mod. 

And if you read closely, I am not really suggesting a HARD nerf to Maiming Strike, but a hard nerf to using it for Berzerker with status weapons. 

My goal would be to make it multiplicative instead of additive, but increase the percentage number high enough that most crit viable weapons could still use it for guaranteed crits. But low enough that it would not be viable for status weapons with low crit numbers to utilize. 

Ive quit reading after your post that ive just quoted, so forgive me if others may have said it in the mean time.

It not only gives something to status weapons but also to melee weapons which arent crit or status viable...

Not to mention allot of weapons that got a status to work with but doesnt get an huge status effect in the end also benefit from it.

You are asking to nerf a mod that makes allot of melee weapons sortie viable into making once again only pure crit melee weapons viable.

17 hours ago, jmthebigman said:

Ive quit reading after your post that ive just quoted, so forgive me if others may have said it in the mean time.

It not only gives something to status weapons but also to melee weapons which arent crit or status viable...

Not to mention allot of weapons that got a status to work with but doesnt get an huge status effect in the end also benefit from it.

You are asking to nerf a mod that makes allot of melee weapons sortie viable into making once again only pure crit melee weapons viable.

No. I am asking for a freaking bandaid to be nerfed/changed because right now it is a completely and utterly broken mod. 

It makes almost any weapon in the game crit viable, and it makes already crit weapons absolutely ludicrous. That isn't balanced melee. That isn't putting melee in a good place. If taking out one mod ruins the whole stack of cards for you, then yes, that mod is absolutely a problem for the game and needs to be changed. 

If crit weapons are the only viable things because of Maiming Strike, then the bandaid that is Maiming Strike needs to be changed, and we need more mods that actually make status as good as crit. Like the Berserker mod for status weapons that I proposed. 

You are also talking about it giving a ridiculous boost to weapons that aren't crit or status viable. Again, that makes it a broken mod. One single mod should not be a bandaid to "make any weapon crit viable". If that is the case, it means we need more status melee mods, some kind of red status, and we need Maiming Strike toned down. 

You are practically making my case for me. No one mod should ever make or break all weapons like that.