The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

To Potato or Not to Potato: which primary should I upgrade?

(PSN)Bunbukan

Question

19 answers to this question

Just now, (PS4)Bunbukan said:

Hi! Fairly new player here, currently MR4. I'm on track to get an orokin catalyst fairly soon and am wondering what primary I should upgrade.

Currently have:

- Boltor

- Tigris

Will have soon:

- Dread

- Drakgoon

Thanks!

Do you like bows? The Dread is a really good starter bow and can be used for endgame. If you enjoy bows, potato that.

Do you like shotguns? If so, get the Hek and then the augment for it, instead of the regular Tigris. But if you enjoy shotguns, and since you only have the Tigris, then potato that.

Do you enjoy fully automatic rifles? Potato the Boltor (I personally have the Boltor Prime and love using that thing).

If you enjoy blast weapons, save it for the Dragkoon. I personally don't like the Dragkoon, but whatever you enjoy using most, then potato that.

Best of luck in your future endeavors, Tenno.

Boltor got a prime variant so does Tigris (with a syndicate one as well) so no ignore the normal weapons unless you liked something about them!

For Drakgoon, not a bad weapon so use it first then see if it is worth your time, also build a second one since you will need it to craft another weapon! 

For Dread, really good Bow but newer stuff can outmatch it to an extent like Rekta Cernos! 

Either Dread or Tigris.

Both are very powerful weapons. The Tigris has two stronger versions at mastery rank 12 & 13 and the Rakta Cernos is a strong competitor with the dread also at rank 12.

16 minutes ago, (PS4)Regiampiero said:

In this order:

Boltor, Dread, Tigris and never the Drakgoon. 

The regular Boltor is only a shadow of its prime variant, whereas the Dread is 'endgame' viable.

But, as has also been said, there are other very good weapons that are available at low mastery (Hek, Tonkor, etc.) and ultimately you'll potato many of your weapons.

I know is cheesy but grab one you like and invest time and resources to make it good.. thats what this game is about, grinding and farming to make things good.

Have fun! Don't try to figure all the perfect setups just enjoy the ride haha

3 minutes ago, ChuckMaverick said:

The regular Boltor is only a shadow of its prime variant, whereas the Dread is 'endgame' viable.

But, as has also been said, there are other very good weapons that are available at low mastery (Hek, Tonkor, etc.) and ultimately you'll potato many of your weapons.

No argument here, but he was asking about these 4 particular weapons no the rest. Also I love my dread, but its utility limits outside spy mission is why I suggested the boltor over all. 

Brozime does an excellent video series he calls "FreeToPlaythrough" where he plays through Warframe on a fresh account without spending any money.

It's a very useful resource for players making tough decisions about what to invest in with their limited resources...

2 hours ago, (PS4)Regiampiero said:

I disagree. Slash beats occasional proc + impact imo. 

Slash is king, no competition, but you have to factor other things this, impact-based bow, has over Dread like faster fire rate and faster charge rate. Not to mention that the Slash proc don't last forever and the chances of it proccing is not the highest!

Dread can up R. Cernos at times and R. Cernos can up Dread at times!

The weapons don't matter right now for you.  Seriously, just pick the one you like the most.  What you should be focusing on is building your mod collection, that's where your true power will come from.  Potatoes come relatively often with the gift of the lotus after every devstreams, and random alerts, plus 20plat is really not that hard to get.  

Drakgoon is a very fun and powerful gun, but the unique fire mechanism isn't for everyone. Try it out extensively before giving it a potato.

To make Drakgoon viable/useful, you NEED a maxed fire-rate mod AND the drakgoon specific mod, "Fomorian accelerant". First one reduces the charge-up time to manageable levels, and the second one boosts projectile speed to make up for the problems that travel time causes for your aiming (the additional bounces for the flak is just a nice bonus). The cold+reload speed is also a nice QoL upgrade. Drakgoon also requires a lot of forma to work properly in the end-game - I think mine has 6 in it - but can work wonders with less in non-sortie content.

EDIT: While yes, you'll eventually end up putting potato on everything, that will take A LONG TIME - I wouldn't recommend putting a catalyst on tigris, because it has 2 upgraded versions: Tigris Prime and Sancti Tigris. If you want to put a catalyst on Tigris, wait until you can get one of those.

On the other hand - once you get into sorties, you'll want a good, potatoed weapon in every class (bow, sniper, rifle, shotgun, pistol, melee) so your priority should probably be putting a catalyst in a weapon class that you haven't yet potatoed.

Edited by Tomppak

I'd do Boltor (one of my very first weapons) and then Dread, for an excellent loud-and-quiet set of options.

I love my recently acquired Tigris (Prime) for its raw dakka, but I really don't love the firing mechanic (personally, I'd rather have a normal trigger pull-and-release fire one round, and alt-fire shoot both barrels; but that ship most likely sailed long ago). 

I tend to potato everything unless I pure don't like using it (if that's the case, it's just ranked for mastery - the glaive, for instance, wasn't fun to use, so I never put a catalyst on it and got rid of it once it hit 30). 

Edited by (XB1)CannyJack

4 hours ago, Tomppak said:

On the other hand - once you get into sorties, you'll want a good, potatoed weapon in every class (bow, sniper, rifle, shotgun, pistol, melee) so your priority should probably be putting a catalyst in a weapon class that you haven't yet potatoed.

^This

I got the Vectis Prime only for sorties, I don't really like using sniper rifles. As they've said before, you should wait until you can get the Sancti Tigris or the Tigris Prime. I don't use the Drakgoon so I'm not sure if that's really a priority right now. There's the Prime version of the Boltor, so give that one a potato. Finally I'd chose the Dread for the first catalyst, since it's a good weapon for any tier, I got mine with only 2 forma and it works beautifully.