Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Channel Based Melee Weapons ?

Would you use a melee weapon that was based on channeling? Like with a channel bonus damage of 2.5 and a channel efficiency of 3 ? And 5% crit , 15% status 

I think it would be cool to build something that's not based on crit or status & it would also give use a chance to use all the other channeling mods . And open opportunities to introduce new channeling mods, example " Channeling efficiency increased by 75% with the combo counter " or " Range increased by 30% with the combo counter while channeling"

channeling builds are one of those underrated ones. main thing to prevent them being a thing would be lifestrike i'd say. you wont be having a channeling build with lifestrike on your weapon, and nearly everybody i know keep one of that mod on their melees most of the time.

8 minutes ago, Zeclem said:

channeling builds are one of those underrated ones. main thing to prevent them being a thing would be lifestrike i'd say. you wont be having a channeling build with lifestrike on your weapon, and nearly everybody i know keep one of that mod on their melees most of the time.

Yeah that's why a channel efficiency mod that increases with the combo counter would be good 

I don't think this is any option until the channeling system has any reliable use.

As long as channeling is tied to the leaky energy system you can't depend on any weapon that requires channeling to work at it's best performance.

The game has by now simply too many enemies and hazards which just zapp your energy away. You also depend on energy drops from enemies or the environment (unless you abuse energy restores or play Trinity) which are RNG.

Not to forget that energy is always better spend on powers rather than a tiny extra boost on your melee strikes.

Even if channeling could get it's own energy bar that which is more "secure" a channeling weapon might still be less reliable than a gun or a melee weapon that simply works by hitting the enemy as normal.

Edited by Othergrunty

2 minutes ago, Othergrunty said:

I don't think this is any option until the channeling system has any reliable use.

As long as channeling is tied to the leaky energy system, you can't depend on any weapon that requires channeling to work at it's best performance.

The game has by now simply too many enemies and hazards which just zapp your energy away in addition to that, you depend on energy drops from enemies (unless you abuse energy restores or play Trinity) which are RNG.

Not to forget that energy is always better spend on powers than a tiny extra boost on your melee strikes.

Even if channeling could get it's own energy bar that which is more "secure" a channeling weapon would still be less usefull in my eyes than a gun.

Agreed, add to the fact that energy consumption is based on per hit which really screws you over in crowds and tough enemies

Edited by Dragazer

1 minute ago, Miser_able said:

Wasn't the furax wraith already a channeling Melee? 

Yes, like the Fragor P which leads to another problem. Channeling mods increase the damage differently then lets say crit mods.

If you have a crit multiplier of 2.0 and add +100% you are at 4.0.

If you have a channeling damage of 2.0 and add +100% you are at 3.0

Personally, I feel as though the reward for spending the energy is not enough to justify channeling builds. As much as I would prefer to have channeling builds instead of vanilla crit and status builds, the reality is that a 1.5x damage boost isn't enough. 

Killing Blow, which I'm guessing would be fairly mandatory in a channeling build, should be at least 200% if not more. 

Since we have an abundance of good weapons I did build my Fragor Prime and Furax Wraith for channeling.

They're not the best weapons in the game by a long shot, but they're ok to dust off from time to time.

The main idea behind my Fragor Prime build was as a "Healing Hammer" and as far as dedicated melee use goes it's fine. Note the idea here though was not to make it into a melee to whip out for some quick healing but as one you can go full melee with and smash your foes while hopefully not getting totally wrecked, heh. 

These are the builds, maybe not the best so there's stuff that could be changed but they work ok for the day-to-day messing around stuff.

Spoiler

C95D4C8109CC3A1C3F970AB483370631D3BC471B (1680×1050)8D51FC9A6C44E22E624C843849EA38E7736F6017 (1680×1050)

Cheers!
~R~

p.s. Oh and I also run channeling melee build on Excal sometimes as an alternative to using Exalted Blade. 

Spoiler

C8E4407CBC918B152155845A1D537C91C96741F8 (1680×1050)

Edited by Rolunde