Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I miss the days where this game took more skill to play

(PSN)SlyFox5679

nowadays you have frames that you turn a power on and run wild and let that power auto kill everything in the mission, this takes no skill and doesn't seem to have any downside.

this also becomes a burden for other teammates trying to kill stuff for their own fun and leveling weapons and such. I myself enjoy the game when i didn't have a squad mate who would use Embers world on fire, Banshee sound quake,Mirage+Simulor

these types of frames or weapons tend to get real boring or annoying seeing this stuff in 90% of random groups and don't say run with clan mates since most of mine quit and it's a small clan to start with some our labs most stuff is cheap to make. before my clan mates went inactive we each specialized in 2-3 frames each and we almost never had doubles of frames so better synergy.

there is a lot of AOE related frames but only a handful you turn the powers on and kill everything really and along with banshee,ember,mirage, pre-nerf mesa's peacemaker 

the other AOE related frames tend to be manual use powers you use the power pay the energy cost each time it kills stuff rinse repeat this is balanced and fair most of the frames i have do this and some have a CC effect to help the squad when things get a chaotic.

Most likely someone will reply with git good or quit or something, or more likely say that the players i group in randoms that have these frames are more effective at killing but are they really ? when you turn a power on and just stand or run around and you don't have to aim and kill everything seems pretty lazy way to play and i do have the frames but i hardly use them i do forma them and level them for builds i have but again they don't take a lot of skill to play and don't seem like fun when you think you may be kill stealing from people trying to level something.

I'd like to see a squad filter for what frames you want in a squad or don't want in a squad so you do or don't wanna play with certain frames, the results may vary but could add more enjoyment and don't ask me how this would work out exactly i don't work for DE.

the vote to kick system players have been wanting for awhile for that one afk jerkoff mooching kills. 

out of the frames i own the most used would be

Nova Prime-Fast/Slow Nova builds with anti-matter drop aug

Frost Prime-Snow Globe build with Snow Globe aug

Vauban Prime-Bastille/vortex  build 

Loki Prime-stealth duration build

Hydroid-farmdroid build with pilfer aug

I look at these frames as more utility in most cases because i usually pick them for certain mission types 

the frames i have

Ash Prime,

Atlas

Banshee Prime

Ember Prime

Excalibur

Frost Prime

Hydroid

Inaros

Ivara

Loki Prime

Mirage

Nekros Prime

Nezha

Nidus

Nova Prime

Nyx Prime

Rhino Prime

Saryn Prime

Titania

Valkyr Prime

Vauban Prime

Volt Prime

Zephyr 

8 minutes ago, (PS4)SlyFox5679 said:

1.frames you want in a squad or don't want in a squad so you do or don't wanna play with certain frames, the results may vary but could add more enjoyment and don't ask me how this would work out exactly i don't work for DE.

2.the vote to kick system players have been wanting for awhile for that one afk jerkoff mooching kills. 

1.Nope. If you want select frames, recruit. Keeping people who prefer to a certain thing from a public match  is a big no no.

2.Hell to the no. Too easy to abuse and troll with. 

Edited by aligatorno

7 minutes ago, aligatorno said:

1.Nope. If you want select frames, recruit. Keeping people who prefer to a certain thing from a public match  is a big no no.

2.Hell to the no. Too easy to abuse and troll with. 

so the result is me having to leave squads until i find a group that has better setup without a OP frame auto killing, thats a real pain in the &#! since most squads have one of these frames which i hope this dies down in a couple weeks.

vote to kick being abused, yes and no not everyone is a troll.

10 minutes ago, (PS4)SlyFox5679 said:

I'd like to see a squad filter for what frames you want in a squad or don't want in a squad so you do or don't wanna play with certain frames, the results may vary but could add more enjoyment and don't ask me how this would work out exactly i don't work for DE.

You want to know the problem with this:
If you're not playing a meta frame (as in one of the frames you're complaining about) you wouldn't be able to find a squad.
Oh you're playing a LImbo in a Rescue/Sortie Defense?  Good luck ever finding a squad.  Meanwhile if you're playing a slova/miragulor/FotM frame you'll find open squads all the time.
All this will do is force people to play the meta frames if they actually want to be able to play with others and would be horrible for everyone involved.

14 minutes ago, (PS4)SlyFox5679 said:

the vote to kick system players have been wanting for awhile for that one afk jerkoff mooching kills. 

Far too abusable.
You just got to the final wave in Tier 3 sortie Defense/interception?  Hope you won't mind doing that all over again because the people you were with thought that it would be funny to kick you...
The thing is that most matches don't last long enough for this to be needed.
There's a leecher?  Finish the mission in 5 minutes and leave and get a new squad, problem solved.
If each mission took 20-30 minutes to complete then maybe a vote kick would be better recieved, but as it stands the matches are fast enough that its not needed and would just cause problems and give a huge tool to trolls to abuse.

2 minutes ago, Katinka said:

What days are you talking about?

I was wondering that too.  I've been here since literally day 1 of CBT and this game has never required much skill to play...

2 minutes ago, Katinka said:

But World on Fire is as old as the game...  What days are you talking about?

I know how old world on fire is but i don't remember it being overused as much as it is now but i suppose that is because ember was underpowered back when it was introduced

When were those days?

Just because you didn't have the gear or weren't aware of what the current EZ Mode meta setup was when you started doesn't mean that one hasn't always existed.

As long as there are gamers there will be gamers that put a moderate amount of effort into discovering how to play with the least amount of effort. And because the Internet is a thing it's very easy for everyone to find out.

Just now, (PS4)SlyFox5679 said:

so the result is me having to leave squads until i find a group that has better setup without a OP frame auto killing, thats a real pain in the &#! since most squads have one of these frames which i hope this dies down in a couple weeks.

vote to kick being abused, yes and no not everyone is a troll.

Sorry, but meta doesnt die that fast. It'll take you forever. Just recruit people with the right stuff. And just because not everyone is a troll doesn't mean that it won't be abused.

1 minute ago, (PS4)SlyFox5679 said:

well its nice to know i was totally wrong to air my complaints or views about this game that i've been playing for years now just to be completely shut down 

When your "complaints and views" are first couched to openly insult the community at large you aren't going to garner much positive response.

14 minutes ago, (PS4)SlyFox5679 said:

well its nice to know i was totally wrong to air my complaints or views about this game that i've been playing for years now just to be completely shut down 

I don't know what you expected. People don't take kindly to being insulted. This game has not gotten any easier or harder.

33 minutes ago, (PS4)SlyFox5679 said:

OH GOD! what people like you need to understand is this: 

I don't know if you have realized, but this game is about getting shiny-shiny stuff , and killing things in the process is sometimes part of the process. Why do you think founders love some much their items? Again, because this game is about getting and collecting stuff.

Now, having this explained. lets explain the concept of "skill". The skill of a game it's defined by it's main goals, and the ways to achieve said goals. Main goal of warframe? Getting the shiny shiny. Ways to achieve? FARMING/GRINDING. So then, the skilled people is defined by how effectively, how fast , and for how long they can farm.

And the thing i wanna add is, we would be intersted in having skill as you define it, if the missions had more replay value. Why would i want to play slowly and with "skill" if it's the same stupid tileset with the same enemies? Why would i want to play with skill and not cheese the game when i still need to do 50 more runs of the same mission to get enough ducats or whatever?
SRSLY. you people need to understand that!

39 minutes ago, (PS4)SlyFox5679 said:

I know how old world on fire is but i don't remember it being overused as much as it is now but i suppose that is because ember was underpowered back when it was introduced

The power has hardly changed.  It became a toggle instead of timed but the base damage output is the same I think.  What has changed is the mods and gear.  Power Strength and Power Range can be higher now than originally and there are new and varied ways of keeping your Energy up.  Plus people realised that you can farm low level areas for stuff easily with a power like this and if all you want is a quick fix of Void Trace then enemy level doesn't matter.  In higher level content World on Fire's damage becomes less important than it's ability to stun (or knock down with an Augment).

I wasn't with WF from the beginning, but I must admit I do look at some of the very old clips wistfully, and I think the game must have changed a lot.  Those old clips look like WF was more of a measured-paced game, with single encounters being more "meaningful", on maps that were psychologically decent-sized.  Whereas today it's a fast-paced horde shooter with largely meaningless encounters (with a few irritating "hard blocks" like nullifiers sprinkled in) on maps that are psychologically tiny.  Still fun, but in a different way, and perhaps not a better way.

If you look at the original powers and the weapons, it seems like the original design plan was for more of a measured-paced game, with more intense single encounters, with each different frame being "bigger" and more distinct.  And to some extent that's still true when you're a beginner and into the mid-game.  But for most of us at the "endgame" (which I still believe isn't really finished yet properly) are all dressed up with nowhere to go.  Plus also, for all the new frame variety, they're starting to blend into one another and become very similar in playstyle.  Apart from maybe Sorties and high level Survivals, there's no challenge in the game at all, we just zip through maps mowing down hordes of mobs as if they're nothing.  Again, kind of fun in its own way, but I suspect very far from the original design intent.  Plus it makes a rod for DE's back as they have to churn out content at a rate of knots.

DE have a propensity to leave exploitative tricks in that players enjoy and get used to, and then nerf them too late.  I think the main culprit for the way WF seems to have sped up and shrunk was coptering.  It's possibly the biggest mistake DE made leaving that in for so long, because it shifted the playerbase en masse into a "need for speed" vibe.  Everything else - the horde shooting, the grind-orientation - seems to have developed willy-nilly from that mistake.

I hate it when people blather on about "skill" in Warframe.  I'll just post some of the same things I always do in these threads.

Warframe is not a skill based game.  

The real "skill" in Warframe is choosing a load out that makes difficult content easy. 

Pressing more buttons, killing more precisely but slower or succeeding despite an inefficient load out does not mean you are skillful.

The grind forces us to repeatedly play low level content.  Most players want to get it done as quickly as possible.

Warframe is a mob killing, power tripping, mass murder simulator.  If you don't like wiping out large groups of enemies in a few seconds, why are you still playing?

2 hours ago, Sean said:

It sounds like you became more accustomed to the game as you played it further, and only thinking it was more difficult back then simply due to you having been a beginner.

This. The game feels like it gets progressively easier after a certain point because a) you get exponentially better frames, weapons, and mods; and b) the scaling in the game in general (especially armor) is broken, so the perceived sense of difficulty progression is also broken. I remember back when I first started with my Excalibur and mk-1 Paris and mk-1 kunai and skana, the game felt pretty difficult by the time I got to Jupiter. But that was simply because I had weak weapons and barely any mods, and even the mods I did have, most of those weren't even ranked up. I remember running around with a 3-point pressure point for quite a while, due to the cost of ranking up mods and the issue of mod space on weapons/frames for new players.

I've been playing this game for 3 years already (if my icon isn't a dead giveaway yet) and this game has never been about "skill". It's about killing hordes of enemies while occasionally pressing your abilities button, and that's exactly the reason why I've been playing this game even to this day. It's a good game to play after a hard day at work.

If you want to talk skill, how about we talk about map awareness, weapon location, weapon spawn timer, learning how to predict enemy movement, and careful precision of aiming at the head back in UT/Quake days and I'll be down for it.

Public = free roll, quick gaming for casuals and pros looking for quick runs minus the drama.

Recruit = where the challenge takes place, the drama of waiting for others who want to play your way to join, or watching them treat everyone just as bad, but rewarding when that perfect match takes place.
ClemHarmony

Edited by Souldend78