Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How important is modding for armor?

mosaickle

Question

17 answers to this question

8 hours ago, Atylia said:

Saryn P has 225 armor, is it worth modding it up?

Cuz I mean, Valkyr has...600 to 700.....

Short answer: not really.

SarynP main job isn't really taking damage, but doing damage. She's a walking WMD and that is how she should be approached when modding her. She has a massive power pool and her ability to clear entire tilesets is her reason for being. She can be fairly tough, but it's through QT, Regenerative Molt, and PFlow, not from her armor, decent though her rating is.

Valkyr (or whatever variety) has very high base armor and is worth modding for more armor, but not really for tanking. She can take a hit, but any benefit for teammates is incidental. You're doing it here to leverage Rage for energy recovery so you can use her abilities to buff armor, attack rate, and just flatout go invulnerable (and heal yourself...) when things get seriously spicy.

Armor is nice, but it's not an end in and of itself. Without some form of recovery, you'll eventually faceplant since you'll always be taking damage. Both the above 'frames can heal themselves. Valkyr is worth modding for armor simply because that's how she regains energy, and she needs enough EHP to survive those hits. SarynP doesn't have to do this and has nowhere near the EHP Valkyr has.

Then there's the matter of avoidance...

Armor is useful for really tanky frames that will have to take direct damage everytime. Valkyr, Chroma, Inaros...

Saryn has some nice defensive stats but she's not supposed to facetank everything, you'd better buff her survivability by using Vitality, her Molt's Augment, or just play her as a full caster.

Depends heavily on your playstyle really. If you're Helen Keller, no amount of armor, health, or shields aside from invulnerability will help you. If you have even the slightest bit of spatial awareness but aren't as good at 3rd person shooters, then I'd say yea, go for it. Most people tend to avoid the bullets, lasers, and missiles and other things that hurt, so armor isn't really something to mod for because there are other more important things, such as shields to soak up a stray rocket, radial damage can still hurt.

dependent on how much you're looking for EHP.
if a lot of it is the case, then so long as a Warframe has 150+ Armor, it's absolutely worth using Steel Fiber - once you're already using Vitality.

one can reduce the necessity for EHP by using Mobility to reduce incoming Damage - the bit that still hits you (as you can't dodge 100% of incoming Damage, it's impossible) will obviously increase in danger as Levels rise.

at the end of the day, you'll need to look at how much Damage is coming in as you play, and deal with preventing that causing death accordingly.
just remember that in Warframe, if you don't have Self Healing, you have nothing. it doesn't matter if you have high EHP, if you end up dead before Extraction anyways from chip Damage.

7 hours ago, taiiat said:

just remember that in Warframe, if you don't have Self Healing, you have nothing. it doesn't matter if you have high EHP, if you end up dead before Extraction anyways from chip Damage.

So true. I have either Life Strike or Healing Return on all of my melee weapons for that exact reason. :D

Some frames have abilities directly affected by Armor, such as Frost or Atlas. Others already have an immense pool of armor, such as Valkyr and Inaros, and either need it to be more effective at their role, or just due to it having a more significant effect. Normally, Armor should avoided if the frame has the ability to make up for not having as much armor and still survive just as well as an armored unit. But, that one is just my opinion.

11 hours ago, Chewarette said:

Armor is useful for really tanky frames that will have to take direct damage everytime. Valkyr, Chroma, Inaros...

Saryn has some nice defensive stats but she's not supposed to facetank everything, you'd better buff her survivability by using Vitality, her Molt's Augment, or just play her as a full caster.

It's borderline usefull even on these...

Valkyr has her hysteria, Chroma has to eat damage and go full duration, what makes rage and (P) Flow a mandatory and QT, if even, simply the better choice. With ice, yea, Armored agility just for the lil more utility, probably but it sure as hell isn't a must have even on him.

Inaros, yes, but he's somewhat of an odd puppy with that.

I use saryn with vitality, RM and naramon for the best possible Lash damage (multipliers). That's plenty to keep you alive at all times. It really is.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

Vitality first of all. As concerns the armor, you'd be better off with Quick Thinking, cause you won't be using your energy pool that much, just reapply spores now and then, maybe do an occasional Miasma to escape / support. If you don't have Quick Thinking though, Steel Fiber would be nice instead of it, cause Saryn is a damage dealer but she can't really nuke (past the mid-levels where considering armor even becomes a thing). 

1 hour ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

I use saryn with vitality, RM and naramon for the best possible Lash damage (multipliers). That's plenty to keep you alive at all times. It really is.

I run Naramon. That's plenty to keep you alive at all times.

1 hour ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Valkyr has her hysteria

Here's a Valkyr without Steel Fiber going in hysteria:

hqdefault.jpg

To revive teammates and and as a panic button. Valkyr without Steel Fiber and QT means you'll be popping in and out of Hysteria all the time, and as the levels get higher you'll simply get one shot and might just go into hysteria afterwards in front of your monitor. Unless you're running Naramon, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of trying to make a tanky build, cause what's the point, almost anything will work fine.

Edited by frohdoe

43 minutes ago, frohdoe said:

To revive teammates and and as a panic button. Valkyr without Steel Fiber and QT means you'll be popping in and out of Hysteria all the time, and as the levels get higher you'll simply get one shot and might just go into hysteria afterwards in front of your monitor. Unless you're running Naramon, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of trying to make a tanky build, cause what's the point, almost anything will work fine.

What's the purpose of a tanky build if you don't gain anything from it?

Without QT, yea that's bad, but she's doing pretty fine without extra armor on a hysteria build...Lower armor means faster energy gain. Good timing, QT and hysteria keep you running then and even allow relatively energy greedy max dur builds, similar to chroma.

I also prefer both and not using hysteria that much but i don't play her much at all and lets be realistic, most people do play her for and with allmost nothing but hysteria...hell, using primarys/secondarys while you regenerate energy isn't even in conflict with using naramon for the best hysteria damage and utility...

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

4 hours ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Valkyr has her hysteria, Chroma has to eat damage and go full duration, what makes rage and (P) Flow a mandatory and QT, if even, simply the better choice. With ice, yea, Armored agility just for the lil more utility, probably but it sure as hell isn't a must have even on him.

are you saying you don't use Steel Fiber on Chroma? you're objectively doing it wrong.
Chroma is pointless without Vitality and Steel Fiber. those Mods are what creates the basis of Chroma being a Hypertank. Quick Thinking doesn't make up for the lack of those. the opposite instead, Vitality and Steel Fiber allows Quick Thinking on Chroma to be useful.

13 minutes ago, taiiat said:

are you saying you don't use Steel Fiber on Chroma? you're objectively doing it wrong.
Chroma is pointless without Vitality and Steel Fiber. those Mods are what creates the basis of Chroma being a Hypertank. Quick Thinking doesn't make up for the lack of those. the opposite instead, Vitality and Steel Fiber allows Quick Thinking on Chroma to be useful.

Who needs a hypertank? I play him with melee, using the sweet buff to boost my slash galatine build. Fire, Renuvation, focus, my sentinel and my furis, depending on the situation, keep my healthy. The shade invis gives a nice stealth boost every now and then. 

Fire and TR keep everything Cc'd in close-mid range, only damage source i have to fear is long range, what's more then manageable with the full armor buff on basearmor.

Sorry but beeing tanky for the sake of beeing tanky is nothing but waste in my book.

2 hours ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Lower armor means faster energy gain

On low levels that is. Later on it means you are getting it a lot safer. Lower armor a lot of the time can mean you won't be able to put that energy to any use because the damage you get will eat through all your health and then the energy you just got before you can even activate hysteria. Or otherwise you'll have half the energy you got eaten away. Or imagine yourself around a few parasitic eximi or surrounded by bubbles.

most people do play her for and with allmost nothing but hysteria

Haven't seen a single hysteria based build since the energy drain increase. To be honest I don't see any point having a hysteria based build, you have plenty of damage with melee (actually, you have more), it doesn't require energy, allows for much more versatility (combos, reach etc.). Most people run a warcry build or there are some that just use primary and secondary weapons (blasphemers). 

What's the purpose of a tanky build if you don't gain anything from it?

Mirage, Simulor, Maiming Boltace and Naramon. You don't gain anything beyond this. Wait... how about having actual fun playing the game? That's why built a tanky Valkyr. 

Edited by frohdoe

Who needs a hypertank? I play him with melee, using the sweet buff to boost my slash galatine build. Fire, Renuvation, focus, my sentinel and my furis, depending on the situation, keep my healthy. The shade invis gives a nice stealth boost every now and then. 

Fire and TR keep everything Cc'd in close-mid range, only damage source i have to fear is long range, what's more then manageable with the full armor buff on basearmor.

Sorry but beeing tanky for the sake of beeing tanky is nothing but waste in my book.

there's only two things that Chroma does. deal a lot of Damage w/ Weapons, and be a Hypertank.

those are the two strengths of the Warframe. there's nothing else to Mod for (except maybe..... trying to make your Weapons Reload instantly - i think most would agree that's extremely niche use). so once you deal a lot of Damage, EHP is all that's left to go for.
Effigy as a distraction comes along for the ride with any Loadout.

everything else Chroma can 'do' is pointless.
so if you don't like pointless things, then why do you do pointless things with Chroma? Ice Ward + Vex Armor to be a Hypertank + Damage is what Chroma does. it's basically all Chroma does.

44 minutes ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

I do more damage due to better health damage and the slot replaced w more strength without dying.

Where's the flaw?

you cap out your Damage Multiplier easily, extra Max Health is irrelevant to that Bonus - you'll max it out in just a few seconds either way.
pmuch every Chroma loadout has +184%+ Power Strength and they use Vitality and Steel Fiber just fine?