Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Help me understand Saryn

Apokita

Question

I'm quite and old player, but since Saryn's rework I just can't understand how she works. I can play chroma nidus wukong inaros but not saryn, everoyne seems to do big &#! AOE dmg but I just die and I only end up using the clone with the augment for the hp regen. 
Please, teach me Saryn guys. I have her prime level 6 and I dont touch it because it tilts me.

9 answers to this question

In a nutshell:

1 - When you cast them on someone pop them with your guns OR melee attacks. Easiest way is to do slam attacks, basically always pop them to spread them

2 - Basically a Loki decoy which explodes so use when you feel necessary, you can cast 1 on it if you want

3 - Makes your melees more toxic

4 - AoE damage

Saryn is 1 on 2 to win.

Mod your Saryn for mostly Range (>220) and some Strength and Duration.

Place your Mold, set around 3-5 Spores on it (lowered Energy cost on your mold) and pop them with Gas dmg AoE weapons like Ignis.

Whole map gets viral procs which spread to nearby enemies and so on. 

edit: duration is for the flight time of the spores while spreading to nearby enemies, that's why it should be decent

Edited by GnarlsDarkley

17 minutes ago, Apokita said:

I'm quite and old player, but since Saryn's rework I just can't understand how she works. I can play chroma nidus wukong inaros but not saryn, everoyne seems to do big &#! AOE dmg but I just die and I only end up using the clone with the augment for the hp regen. 
Please, teach me Saryn guys. I have her prime level 6 and I dont touch it because it tilts me.

Two ways to play her, ranged and melee.  If you're not going melee and using 3 a lot (whips are good for it), the main thing is to get a 100% gas proccing weapon - gas Ignis, Lanka, a few others.  That synergises nicely with the way the spores work.

Build for +250% range.

Cast molt.

Cast spore on your molt.

Melee your molt.  Recast spore and melee your molt every ten seconds.  Repeat until you need to recast molt.

Numbers, numbers everywhere.  Things die.  Profit.  It's great fun on defense and mobile defense where squads stay on one tileset.

Edited by (PS4)Magician_NG

There is also this hidden poison mechanic that should take poison dots into consideration on popping spores. Idea is that a totall of all proccs on an enemy should be participating with 25% base on the destruction damage and spread poison with it.

Not sure how far that works tho. Pretty sure that's mentioned in the wiki but broken in the actuall game ever since her rework. So yeah, spam your decoy to spread.

18 minutes ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

There is also this hidden poison mechanic that should take poison dots into consideration on popping spores. Idea is that a totall of all proccs on an enemy should be participating with 25% base on the destruction damage and spread poison with it.

Not sure how far that works tho. Pretty sure that's mentioned in the wiki but broken in the actuall game ever since her rework. So yeah, spam your decoy to spread.

I dunno, but what you describe might be what I see using a gas weapon.

Like, I spore an enemy, I shoot him with a standard weapon, enemy dies, you see a few spores spread to other enemies. Whereas if I spore an enemy, I shoot him with a gas weapon, the enemy dies along with a whole group of enemies surrounding him.

Since switching to a gas Pox I no longer spam the molt with spores and melee it.

1 hour ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

I dunno, but what you describe might be what I see using a gas weapon.

Like, I spore an enemy, I shoot him with a standard weapon, enemy dies, you see a few spores spread to other enemies. Whereas if I spore an enemy, I shoot him with a gas weapon, the enemy dies along with a whole group of enemies surrounding him.

Since switching to a gas Pox I no longer spam the molt with spores and melee it.

Thing is tho that toxic leash kinda scales off actuall melee damage, including all multipliers...be it combo, stealth or crit, so there should be an actuall impact using her with melee, what really isn't the case. What kills them in your scenario may be nothing but the gas proccs themselfes, what makes the whole mechanic irrelevant in the first place.

Do as you see it fit. Try to ignore the wiki tho as long as DE doesn't fix this.

Saryn now works on inflicting as much Status as possible to as many enemies as possible. Modding for Range is good, Duration is also okay. Here's my two credits:

Powers:

• Spore is your bread n' butter. Hit enemies with it, then it those enemies with something else (ideally hit their Spores). The Spores spread to nearby targets and chain outward. You can also tag your Molt with them. Spreading Spores inflicts a Viral proc. This is important.
  • Molt can be used to keep Saryn alive in the fray and taunt the enemies into staying close together for optimal Spore and Miasma usage. I usually use Molt when I do melee Saryn.
  • Toxic Lash applies toxin to the weapon, applies a Toxin proc to enemies hit and guaranteed pops Spores. It also buffs your melee block. When I melee Saryn, I have on Lash, block and Spore as I approach, hit with my melee weapon and proceed to the next enemy.
  • Miasma is still your big AoE nuker, but it's really underwhelming unless you've stacked Statuses on your foes. Its base damage is low, but doubles for each of Viral and Toxin procs on the enemy (max is x4). To optimize Miasma and pull off big numbers, make sure your Spores are everywhere, and ideally have things poisoned with your Lash or your other weapons. Miasma will usually be the finale to a play, though it can be used to corrode Armor at the start of a fight if you really, really need it to.

Combos (that I Like to Use):

• Set up a dummy Molt, Spore it a few times. Enemies are attracted to it, shoot the Molt. Spores spread. Toxin the enemies if you want, then Miasma. Quick n' Dirty.
  • Spore an enemy, hit it with a weapon, hit newly affected enemies, then Miasma. Pretty Standard.
  • Equip melee, activate Toxic Lash. Spore an enemy. Hold block as you approach, melee the enemy but not to kill (unless it's dead in two hits). Follow the Spores until you've poisoned a whole bunch of foes. Molt if you're taking too much heat, then dip out the back end of the enemy cluster. Turn around and Miasma. Ballsy and with Style Points.

Notes:

• Although she can play melee, Saryn is no tank. Plan accordingly.
  • Toxin weapons are your friend (obvi), but you don't need to mod poison into your melee.
  • The Mutalist Cernos is great for ranged play with Saryn.
  • Saryn's unique way of dealing damage opens up a lot of interesting Mod options. She's one of the few frames I bring Healing Return along with, because she needs to regen that health and literally everything she touches should have a Status proc. I also take the Hikou for the specific purpose of spreading Spores fast, and it's one the few setups where I mod a weapon for low damage.
  • Saryn is one of the few frames where it's okay to not singularly focus enemies and kill them outright. Her poison will do most of that work for you over time, so bursting down enemies immediately with Saryn can be inefficient. The priority is affecting as many enemies as possible at once.