Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will There Ever Be a Time Where DE Will Add a Frame Fan Concept To The Game?

(XBOX)TheMadCash

Pretty much how DE holds a contest for a melee weapons for anyone to throw their concept in and hopefully gets chosen. Will DE ever do that for warframes? Doesn't have to be lore related nor have to have a quest. Just something DE does every other year maybe. Players have some interesting concepts but it's sad that there are only. Well concepts. 

2 minutes ago, TrickshotMcGee said:

There have been multiple Warframes based on fan concepts. To name 2: Zephyr and Mesa. The list of them escapes me, but they have added them in the past. They just have not done so in any recent time.

True but that's not exactly what I mean. Because that's still technically made by DE. 

1 minute ago, (Xbox One)Cash201293 said:

True but that's not exactly what I mean. Because that's still technically made by DE. 

Well DE won't have some random person come into their office to model a Warframe and program it into the game, so there's no way that it WOULDN"T be made by DE. 

Zephyr actually originated on the forums, name, abilities, and all, with a few changes they made themselves because of whatever reasons. You can find the original thread if you looked for it, or if someone had it on hand. Her concept and design came directly from a player, though.

ZephyrChroma (loosely), Mesa, and Nidus (loosely) are all Warframes based on fan concepts. There may be more, but I'm not quite sure.

Note that their designs, names, and abilities have been tweaked, changed, or overhauled to fit the game. Because of how complex Warframes are, I don't think DE would do the same thing with Warframes like they have done with melee weapons via the melee weapon design contests. 

3 minutes ago, Bravely_Casual said:

Will there ever be a time when people will actually do research before posting something on the Forums?

In fairness, it's not exactly advertised anywhere that they had been added based on concepts gotten from the fans. I could understand the largest majority of people not knowing and not being able to find the posts because they're buried under literally years of fan concepts.

Edited by TrickshotMcGee

3 hours ago, MissMarifire said:

Note that their designs, names, and abilities have been tweaked, changed, or overhauled to fit the game. Because of how complex Warframes are, I don't think DE would do the same thing with Warframes like they have done with melee weapons via the melee weapon design contests. 

The thing about fan made frames is that the creators don't know the limits of Warframe and its engine's capabilities, unlike the dev team. Many want fan made frames exactly as they are implemented with no branching off from the concept, but they don't think about how some (if not all) of their abilities might not even be possible within Warframe's engine, along with the fact that DE will most likely need a contractual agreement with the artist if a frame caught the eye of the art team.

50 minutes ago, (Xbox One)ALG Minuscule36 said:

Founders are fans though, you supported the game to ensure it kept going.

They are founders because they took a risk on Warframe, a new IP from DE in the Online free to play space that they have never done before. If anything, founders helped started Warframe.

I think it's a touchy subject, since if there is a concept that people like and DE does not deliver on the art and the way their abilities work, then people would endlessly rant about it. I think that's probably the reason no fan concepts have translated 100 percent into the game ( except for weapons I think ) as of yet.

1 hour ago, KingOfNightmare said:

The skills were suggeted by players, then 4 for every ability were picked by DE then voted each one with a poll. Kind of "fan" concept.
p.s. not to mention that at the time the council was composed only from founders

Yeah. I remembered that time the founders gone crazy with Nova. Shame we won't be able to have a chance like that again.

The council was composed by founders only. I wonder if the majority of the other founders are still kicking around.

1 hour ago, Bravely_Casual said:

Will there ever be a time when people will actually do research before posting something on the Forums?

1 hour ago, TrickshotMcGee said:

In fairness, it's not exactly advertised anywhere that they had been added based on concepts gotten from the fans. I could understand the largest majority of people not knowing and not being able to find the posts because they're buried under literally years of fan concepts.

Exactly this. Plus I did and just didnt feel like digging more deeper to find it. Only one I came across was Chroma. When he was highly requested.

1 hour ago, RaiuLyn said:

They are founders because they took a risk on Warframe, a new IP from DE in the Online free to play space that they have never done before. If anything, founders helped started Warframe.

They are still fans though, at the end of the day. With Prime Access, many players have paid WAY more than the highest tier of Founder Pack. Founders just Kickstarted it, and Kickstarts are run by those who enjoy a subject, which are also known as fans.

1 hour ago, (Xbox One)ALG Minuscule36 said:

They are still fans though, at the end of the day. With Prime Access, many players have paid WAY more than the highest tier of Founder Pack. Founders just Kickstarted it, and Kickstarts are run by those who enjoy a subject, which are also known as fans.

If they still are, a lot of them should still be around and the design council shouldn't need to recruit people into it. The recruitment is for replacing the MIA founders, from my understanding. 

Of course, I can't speak for them obviously. They could have moved on from warframe to other games once they are done or something.