Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will There Ever Be a Time Where DE Will Add a Frame Fan Concept To The Game?

(XBOX)TheMadCash

2 minutes ago, RaiuLyn said:

If they still are, a lot of them should still be around and the design council shouldn't need to recruit people into it. The recruitment is for replacing the MIA founders, from my understanding. 

Of course, I can't speak for them obviously. They could have moved on from warframe to other games once they are done or something.

The reason the invited DC members, like myself, we're allowed into DC was to allow more insight and overall voice to the community, as well as have a more rounded view on Content affairs, rather than it be limited to just the founders in affairs that affect everyone. Founders voted that in.

5 hours ago, TrickshotMcGee said:

There have been multiple Warframes based on fan concepts. To name 2: Zephyr and Mesa. The list of them escapes me, but they have added them in the past. They just have not done so in any recent time.

OP means DE actually taking a fan concept and 1:1 implementing it in the game, with virtually no changes, other than stats. That is something they have not done as far as i can recall. Everything that was taken was either based on, keywords based on, or inspired by a fan concept -- never a 1:1 to implementation like with weapon contests.

To answer @(Xbox One)Cash201293, no one knows. This is something only DE can answer.

Edited by EmptyDevil

Fan concepts added into the game but not in that form how their creator imagined it like mesa was originally male, zephyr was originally male, nova design council frame, nidus partly inspired by typhus, titania probably a designed frame but maybe fan concept, Almost all newest frame is partly community idea but I myself would like a full 1:1 implementation but for it need some compromise from both side what need for an ability and how stats should be balanced. There are some concept what really likely and almost ready to go just need the confirmation by Devs. Weapons are easier to do because those not really needs so great animations only few and mostly effects while the frames need a complete moveset, special ability moves and relations with the weapons and the surround.

51 minutes ago, EmptyDevil said:

OP means DE actually taking a fan concept and 1:1 implementing it in the game, with virtually no changes, other than stats. That is something they have not done as far as i can recall. Everything that was taken was either based on, keywords based on, or inspired by a fan concept -- never a 1:1 to implementation like with weapon contests.

Warframes are infinitely harder to make than melee weapons, and far harder to balance. You may also note that the very first sentence of mine that you quoted literally says: "There have been multiple Warframes based on fan concepts". First sentence, bruh. And do you think weapon concepts are 1:1 additions? Because they absolutely are not. I recall Mios and Silva & Aegis both having special abilities in the concepts that they do not in-game.

One thing I'd also like to add is that a concept, by definition, is a fluid thing and can be changed. An idea, if we're being literal. DE can take a submitted idea, change it at will, and it will still be based on the fan concepts it came from. 

Also, I am almost certain the OP isn't dumb enough to expect DE to add frames into the game that 100% follow the concept to the letter. Doing so (and subsequently expecting them to do so) would be simply idiotic. Wanna know why? Because not only are some concepts way too powerful to the point stat changes couldn't keep it from being OP, they could also be mechanically impossible for the dev team to implement. Fudging an ability or odd power/passive is well within their right (and dare I say obligation if the ability is dubbed too strong).

Do you think when Zephyr was implemented DE knew how to make a Warframe fly in the middle of a mission? Hell no they didn't. As such they changed her flying-based ability into something they COULD do, that also fit her theme (at least a tiny bit). 

5 hours ago, MissMarifire said:

ZephyrChroma (loosely), Mesa, and Nidus (loosely) are all Warframes based on fan concepts. There may be more, but I'm not quite sure.

Note that their designs, names, and abilities have been tweaked, changed, or overhauled to fit the game. Because of how complex Warframes are, I don't think DE would do the same thing with Warframes like they have done with melee weapons via the melee weapon design contests. 

6 hours ago, TrickshotMcGee said:

There have been multiple Warframes based on fan concepts. To name 2: Zephyr and Mesa. The list of them escapes me, but they have added them in the past. They just have not done so in any recent time.

I would deny these frames as fan-frames mostly because the themes of those frames are so general that as well as those names are so general that by mere coincidence they are related. Looking at the fan-made concepts for abilities and the abilities that are in Warframe, it is seen that the abilities are really different. If DE were to make ANY frame at all, there could be a dozen of fan concepts already of that certain theme. I'm pretty sure that there a fan concepts for archer frames, brawler frames, Wukong frames, pirate frames, etc; somewhere lurking in the forums, but that doesn't mean they are based on fan concepts.

The point is, why have to go through the trouble to get some fan to tell DE some general theme such as a plant frame or a spider frame when anyone at DE can have the same idea and have better communication with the team to help put it into the game?

1 hour ago, (Xbox One)ALG Minuscule36 said:

The reason the invited DC members, like myself, we're allowed into DC was to allow more insight and overall voice to the community, as well as have a more rounded view on Content affairs, rather than it be limited to just the founders in affairs that affect everyone. Founders voted that in.

Sorry but I have to laugh at that 'insight and overall voice' part and what community? I see a lot of people bickering about nerfs and newbies nowadays. It's getting more toxic as time goes on.

That said, I might have taken this seriously back in the day though. You may consider me as pessimistic but it is how it is. 

Just now, Mr.ToastForPresident said:

I would deny these frames as fan-frames mostly because the themes of those frames are so general that as well as those names are so general that by mere coincidence they are related. Looking at the fan-made concepts for abilities and the abilities that are in Warframe, it is seen that the abilities are really different. If DE were to make ANY frame at all, there could be a dozen of fan concepts already of that certain theme. I'm pretty sure that there a fan concepts for archer frames, brawler frames, Wukong frames, pirate frames, etc; somewhere lurking in the forums, but that doesn't mean they are based on fan concepts.

What would you consider a unique concept then? Any unusual, strange, “what are you smoking, can I have some” idea can be dismissed as “generic, have been done before”.

Just now, Mr.ToastForPresident said:

The point is, why have to go through the trouble to get some fan to tell DE some general theme such as a plant frame or a spider frame when anyone at DE can have the same idea and have better communication with the team to help put it into the game?

I think it's good that players like the game so much that they come up with their own detailed and interesting concepts and that developers do read forums and get inspired by the creative ideas of their players.

8 hours ago, RaiuLyn said:

Yeah. I remembered that time the founders gone crazy with Nova. Shame we won't be able to have a chance like that again.

The council was composed by founders only. I wonder if the majority of the other founders are still kicking around.

*Founder wave* It was, but DE invites others into the Design Council now.

The only actual fan concept was zephyr. some were either the design counsel who voted on a general theme, threw power suggestions based on said theme, and DE chose the final moveset, or DE looked at all the similar concepts and ideas pertaining to the theme, and made a frame.

Chroma was not based off of the dragon frame concept, but all the dragon themed ones, and they also tried working the chromatic dragon from D&D into the frame.

Nova was created by the DC, which is made of Warframe's fans, and Nidus was loosely based on Typhus IIRC, so they do take things into account, but they also want to change and tweak things so that it suits their artistic vision as well.

I imagine that a long time ago, somebody wanted a musical frame that let's you make your own songs, and now we have Octavia. they do listen, but these things take a lot of time.

1 hour ago, LordOfScrugging said:

The only actual fan concept was zephyr. some were either the design counsel who voted on a general theme, threw power suggestions based on said theme, and DE chose the final moveset, or DE looked at all the similar concepts and ideas pertaining to the theme, and made a frame.

Chroma was not based off of the dragon frame concept, but all the dragon themed ones, and they also tried working the chromatic dragon from D&D into the frame.

Still wish zephyr looked more like the original design. Much prefered that. And while the deluxe is gonna offer an alternative, unfortunately it's still not the original. 

7 hours ago, RaiuLyn said:

Sorry but I have to laugh at that 'insight and overall voice' part and what community? I see a lot of people bickering about nerfs and newbies nowadays. It's getting more toxic as time goes on.

That said, I might have taken this seriously back in the day though. You may consider me as pessimistic but it is how it is. 

Well of course people bicker about nerfs, and define newbies? As in New to the Council? You have to have played a minimum of 500 hours as a req. to get considered, you have to have learned something in that time.

Quite frankly, while more newer members, and some founders, have been cool about most things, trying to make it friendly and allow ease of communication through a sense of welcomeness, many of the founders have been the toxic ones lately, not "newbies". Just because you don't like the thread there being a Water Cooler (Which it is) doesn't mean it's toxic. That's as much into that as I'd like to get into.

On 4/23/2017 at 7:30 PM, MissMarifire said:

ZephyrChroma (loosely), Mesa, and Nidus (loosely) are all Warframes based on fan concepts. There may be more, but I'm not quite sure.

Note that their designs, names, and abilities have been tweaked, changed, or overhauled to fit the game. Because of how complex Warframes are, I don't think DE would do the same thing with Warframes like they have done with melee weapons via the melee weapon design contests. 

Excellent answer, though I have to respectfully disagree with Nidus being inspired by (or loosely based on) Typhus.

DE is on record that Nidus was created based on Pablo's desire for an Infested warframe. I had a case for why I felt the two were different and will try to find it. Somewhere in the DC topic.

This isn't to say I have definitive proof Typhus didn't influence DE, or Nidus, just that it's very much different from the other three warframes  you listed where they took some form of direct inspiration from the fan creations.

19 hours ago, Mr.ToastForPresident said:

I don't think it's mere coincidence when DE has admitted, more than once, that Zephyr, Chroma, and Mesa were directly influenced or inspired by fan concepts. They may be general concepts, but DE Scott specifically stated that several 'frames (up to the point of Atlas at that time) were directly influenced by fan concepts. It's not conjecture or a guess: it's what DE has said and done, on the record. (Atlas was also inspired by a brawler fan-art concept, and it's why he looks so much like the fan art.)

On 24/04/2017 at 10:29 PM, (Xbox One)ALG Minuscule36 said:

Well of course people bicker about nerfs, and define newbies? As in New to the Council? You have to have played a minimum of 500 hours as a req. to get considered, you have to have learned something in that time.

Quite frankly, while more newer members, and some founders, have been cool about most things, trying to make it friendly and allow ease of communication through a sense of welcomeness, many of the founders have been the toxic ones lately, not "newbies". Just because you don't like the thread there being a Water Cooler (Which it is) doesn't mean it's toxic. That's as much into that as I'd like to get into.

Newbies as in people new to the game. You know how people are asking help and learning to play? They get blasted by veterans instead. Maybe you don't see it much but it happens. 

Some DC members are cool. But my point still stands. WF community as a whole has gone from one of the good ones out there to a decaying shell of its former self.