Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I hate mobile defense (and why you should too)

Asdryu

Many people ask/ed me why I hate mobile depression and I ask them how can you not instead. The only mobile defense I find amusing is, ironically enough, in archwing, because at least you get swarmed... aaand there's something A BIT (that's a microscopic bit) more "mobile" about it.
Few, brief and self explanatory points:

• Nothing mobile about it: it's just you moving as always. Hijack is the real mobile defense.
  • Monotonous/repetitive. Redundant as there's ALWAYS one in either sortie, kuva, syndicate missions AND fissures 
  • Easy (and no one really likes babysitting, do they?)
  • Rewardless. Unlike spy, you can have even 10 consoles to hack and receive nothing and affinity is low
  • Relatively long and you can't do anything to make it faster (like survival, yes, but at least that's a real endless mission).

Did I miss anything? Oh, yeah. There's that bug of enemies locking you down as soon as a console has been hacked, just to make everything even slower.

Most of these things can be said about half of the missions in Warframe. Especially things like; Repetitive, easy, unrewarding, and lengthy. 

Should we hate every mission because most of them fit this criteria? Just because you hate something doesn't mean that everyone should.

Also, why not try giving actual feedback in the "Feedback Categories" instead of just bashing it. Any suggestions to make it better? Literally anything to make your post worth more than a whiny complaint about missions not being worth doing?

23 minutes ago, RyuGold said:
  • Rewardless. Unlike spy, you can have even 10 consoles to hack and receive nothing and affinity is low

I mean, when Draco was removed and I had to explore all the mission types for possible alternatives for formaing and focus farming, I was pleasantly surprised at how much affinity you can gather during mobile defense missions. Of course that is dependant on not being tossed into missions with people that literally don't want to play the game (use slow nova or stasis limbo)

On 06/05/2017 at 9:01 PM, TrickshotMcGee said:

Most of these things can be said about half of the missions in Warframe. Especially things like; Repetitive, easy, unrewarding, and lengthy. 

Should we hate every mission because most of them fit this criteria? Just because you hate something doesn't mean that everyone should.

Also, why not try giving actual feedback in the "Feedback Categories" instead of just bashing it. Any suggestions to make it better? Literally anything to make your post worth more than a whiny complaint about missions not being worth doing?

Wether you like it or not, this IS MY feedback. I'm not bashing as you say and I even addressed a bug. I'm mostly derpy and rude these days, so you can say that I've been even polite. The only way to make it better? I guess just put some rewards in, increase the difficulty of it by throwing more enemies (it's just the way Warframe acts. Suggesting something else would mean the changes we're all waiting) but other than that, I'd suggest to replace with Hijack wich is an extremely rare mission, but can still be defined as mobile since what you're "carrying" is in fact moving.
Me just bashing would be something like: hurr durr who the hell came up with this? Remove this already! And a cancerous gif to finish.

On 06/05/2017 at 9:04 PM, Jakorak said:

I mean, when Draco was removed and I had to explore all the mission types for possible alternatives for formaing and focus farming, I was pleasantly surprised at how much affinity you can gather during mobile defense missions. Of course that is dependant on not being tossed into missions with people that literally don't want to play the game (use slow nova or stasis limbo)

Many other missions will give you more affinity more efficently, with less efforts and without the need of a whole squad being ok with what you want to do.
I've been finding mobile defense underwhelmingly boring since the old void. Even there I used Limbo already so that I could actually fall asleep and let my unpotatoed Huras doing everything else.

4 hours ago, RyuGold said:

Did I miss anything?

I ran into this thread because I came on to write a few ideas down for MD, your thread gave me a few more ideas.  Feel free to take a look and offer your own thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2017 at 11:37 PM, Dark_Roxas said:

Ever farmed focus in mob def sorties? With good settings(no eximus) you can farm easily focus because of the huge amount of enemies

I did and it wasn't nearly as good as on Hydron.

If I have to pick a sortie to farm it, rather than completing it, then I prefer an interception/defense with eximus stronghold against corpus x10 times more. You should be done with the focus with just one instance done if you do it well.

Now, to end this, I have to ask something: since I totally seem to be mistaken as the brainless and arrogant idiot who's just bashing DE only because I wrote "And why you should too" (clearly as a freaking joke! I would be mental to force anybody to hate something and you must have a sad life if you consider a random from the internet telling you what you should do/feel), can someone give me a legit answer with valuable reasons and by reading the entire post, rather than just that phrase in the parenthesis?

I'm sorry if I don't take you seriously, but you can't pretend to be taken when the answers you give are: "lol I just love it. It's my favorite mission idk" (ok? God bless you) "this post is garbage" (good, as your answer. What the hell did you think that was gonna change? Why did you even bother replying?).
I'm legit interested as I want to see a point to this damn mission.

To sidetrack the 1st reply, missions like extermination and sabotage have actually undergone some changes over the time (and the rewards are: extermination, for stealth affinity purposes and sabotage, with hidden caches on all factions. Not that many people liked the changes on exterminations and not that I have ever understood what people hated about it).

Just like how deception was pointless, Mobile Defense, as a whole is just another mission type that's, "here's this one thing about another mission type except you do it in different places instead of one."

They just need to add something to spice it up, like enemies hacking the console to stop the timer, or something, instead of just shooting it, and something to make it actually mobile. As it stands right now it'd be more appropriately labeled, "location defense."

yes, Archwing Mobile Defense has a good example of what Mobile Defense should be to make it different from other Gamemodes.

being absolutely buried in Enemies, for that short couple minutes at a time.
that would be distinctly different from other Gamemodes.

i also wouldn't complain about Mobile Defense having multiple stages. one stage being short stents on a few Consoles here and there, and another that makes for a more mobile finish. some Mobile Defense areas have the beginnings of more interactive elements like this, Grineer Asteroid Base being the prime (but not only) example.

On 06/05/2017 at 8:37 PM, RyuGold said:

Did I miss anything? Oh, yeah. There's that bug of enemies locking you down as soon as a console has been hacked, just to make everything even slower.

With a correct timing, you can be locked with the console you have to defend. So no enemy comes. Mobile defense is the only mission type you can success while the whole team is afk.

Not sure this is a point in its favor.

Spoiler

Isn't mobile defense the poor man's excavation ?

Edited by mplokijuhygtfrdeszqa

On 22/5/2017 at 8:57 PM, mplokijuhygtfrdeszqa said:

With a correct timing, you can be locked with the console you have to defend. So no enemy comes. Mobile defense is the only mission type you can success while the whole team is afk.

Reveal hidden contents

It's definitely not :D

I just said that it's boring for its stupidity and easiness TOO (that's the last point I'm concerned of. The 1st is that it's a completely pointless mission that just waste a lot of time for NOTHING. If I want some real affinity, I'll do spy, extermination, defense, interception or even survival. ANYTHING where I can decide when I can leave, but mobile depression, wich is like "here's a timer. You can f off only when I say you can" WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE).

Edited by RyuGold

On 5/22/2017 at 2:57 PM, mplokijuhygtfrdeszqa said:

Reveal hidden contents

I came to the boards just now to complain again for the umpteenth time in six months about the insta-lockdown, and this actually just happened. Lockdown came as soon as I started defending a console, and yet enemies kept spawning. So again, really no point in the lockdowns except as a cheap way to lengthen the missions.

On 07/05/2017 at 5:01 AM, TrickshotMcGee said:

I was telling one mate that played the "pod moves here then moves over to that corner" that I'd love it if the pod kept moving to gradually more and more nasty locations that favored the enemy more and more each time it moved.

Once you go to wave 100, you would be at the bottom of a deep well, and enemies are just dropping grenades with Null bubbles attached to them. Enjoy.

I think that which distinguishes mobile defense from defense SHOULD BE that the different defense points existent in MD but not Defense should require different tactics to properly defend. The problem is environment is not really an important factor in most places that are not the kuva "actively trying to kill you" fortress.