Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So how is Oberon right now?

mosaickle

Question

11 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

obscene energy costs

I see this pretty often, but it's just not true in my experience (unless there's a Nekros around, I guess)
if you build for max Efficiency (and Range, because mass CC = less healing needed)
rather than try to go for a Chroma-style tank the world approach.

It's rather tanky but he still lacks something, either damage or damage reduction... He should have an improved health orbs drops like Nekros to be able to survive in the melee with Health conversion.

I'm currently playing him with Rage+Quick Thinking, as those 2 added to his healing and bonus armor makes him a great good tank. But he will still randomly die (that's the same problem for every frame, Quick Thinking is great unless you're under heavy fire, where the small stagger will stunlock you until you reach 0 energy then die).

His damage is weird too. Sometimes you will target a random enemy (even a small one with not-so-much HP/Shields) and the Smite will destroy everything in range, but sometimes I can spam those Heavy Units and it will barely kill anything.

In his current states, he relies exclusively on his weapons. He won't be able to do S#&$ with low weapons.

Edited by Chewarette

He's in a much better spot now.  Hallowed Ground is the corner stone of the toolkit, granting status immunity and status cleanses to allies, along with a pretty reliable rad proc to enemies (base 15% at max level, scales with str) and okay Radiation damage per .5 second tick.  The area of effect is now cone shaped, but with a maxed out Stretch mod you can get a fairly long distance with a 240° cone angle.  Renewal grants semi continuous healing, costing a small upkeep cost to keep channeling, but costs more for every ally it's actively healing while it's healing before dropping down to the usual passive level.  Do note that Nekros' Shadows of the Dead will heal at 1/3 rate at 1/3 power consumption and allied NPCs during invasion missions will count as players for the purposes of healing and energy costs.  If they enter Hallowed Ground's AoE, it also gives them a rather beefy armor bonus for as long as you maintain the skill +30 seconds.  Reckoning remains mostly unchanged from it's previous incarnation, but also strips armor from enemies who are on Hallowed Ground when the cast goes through (30% permanent armor strip, scales with str).

He's at least usable now.

He still lacks a defined role, and there's nothing he does that other 'frames can't do better, but at least he's good enough to be useful.  It's gonna still be a long time until he overcomes his stigma, but he can at least pull his weight as a support 'frame with a bit of an offense.

As mentioned by UltimateGrr, Hallowed Ground is the cornerstone of his toolkit.  The first thing you should do in any protracted fight is throw it out under as many enemies as possible, or underneath an area you expect enemies and allies to be fighting in.  From there, you can throw out Renewal to give regeneration to the team and buff armor if they walk into Hallowed Ground at any point, and toss Reckoning to CC and strip armor from enemies in your Hallowed Ground.

Just be aware that Although his energy pool's much bigger, Renewal can gobble energy if applied to the whole team in a heavy fight.  It also has anti-synergy with Nekros since it applies to all of his shadows, which are constantly losing health and thus causing Renewal to drain energy to heal them.  Don't use Oberon in a team with Nekros.

31 minutes ago, Arkvold said:

He's at least usable now.

He always was, decent healing + CC nuke was never a bad combo.

32 minutes ago, Arkvold said:

He still lacks a defined role

So do lots of Frames, really.

He's a neat enough Paladin go away Druid weirdos kthx IMO, a protector with "holy" AoE offense & debuffs.

35 minutes ago, Arkvold said:

there's nothing he does that other 'frames can't do better

How 'bout unique stuff, though? He still has that Bleedout reduction thing going on,
as well as uniquely being able to heal (and Armor-buff) you indefinitely while you're at the other side of the map.

And of course, the combo of healing + protecting + AoE damage / CC / debuffing all at once
is definitely not done better by any Frame I can think of :D

41 minutes ago, Arkvold said:

Don't use Oberon in a team with Nekros.

Yeah, that one's a bummer, anti-synergy between Frames shouldn't exist :(

1 hour ago, NinjaZeku said:

He always was, decent healing + CC nuke was never a bad combo.

Problem was that it was a weak nuke and soft CC.  Now at least his nukes are stronger and his CC is a mix of soft and hard CC-types depending on how you use Reckoning and Smite in conjunction with Hallowed Ground.

So do lots of Frames, really.

Most 'frames actually have very well-defined roles, or at least well-defined niches.  Those that don't are exceptions, rather than the rule.  I can only think of a couple - Equinox (although you could argue that her role's fairly well defined by which form she's in), Nezha (who is miniature Rhino who traded his damage buff and some durability for extra mobility and support), and Zephyr (who's in dire need of a rework, almost as badly as Oberon was.)

How 'bout unique stuff, though? He still has that Bleedout reduction thing going on,
as well as uniquely being able to heal (and Armor-buff) you indefinitely while you're at the other side of the map.

Doesn't renewal break (and thus cause Iron Renewal to revert to having a timer) when you leave affinity range?  Could've swore I saw that happening.

Even so, among other support frames, he's undoubtedly the weakest.  Sure, he can provide constant regeneration and an armor buff, but Trin provides 75% damage resistance (which applies to both shields and health), and refills both shields and health instantly with a single button press.  Mend may only be stronger than Oberon's instant heal when it's charged up, but Night Equinox has sleep and damage reduction effects to keep allies safe, whereas Oberon only has his CC.

You have to play Oberon's offensive and control game as well as his support abilities to make up the slack, and with Renewal blocking energy recovery from everything but orbs, he can't sustain all three roles indefinitely.  Eventually you'll have to drop back into CC or Support only because you simply can't sustain enough energy for the rest.

Bleedout reduction is nice, but compare that against Trin's faster revivals, personal durability with bless+link, and her superior ability to ensure you never enter bleedout in the first place.  I maintain that, even with his improvements, there's nothing Oberon can do that 'frames dedicated to their role can't do better.

He's better.  He's competitive with Night Equinox for Support and maybe Rhino for control, but he's not going to topple any standings.

Edited by Arkvold

It is already a tradition in the forums to say that Oberon cant do anything that others cant do better and before update it was almost true.

After rework this is NOT TRUE.

There is no other frame capable of giving armor AND life regen to the team in this game.

There is NO OTHER frame capable of adding so much survivability to fragile frames. 300 armor is nothing for a Chroma but for a Nova or Banshee is a life changer, specially when it comes together with lifer regen at  more 100/s.

I'm liking him a lot. There aren't many frames that can be used for melee only, Oberon is one of them now. Works fine for sortie levels (provided that you have high strength). You still don't want to be facetanking everything but he is pretty forgiving, so you can relax most of the time. I run 214% STR, Rage + QT + Vitality + Phoenix Renewal. That's 96hp/sec healed and 629 Armor total (could add Steel Fibre for some more, but I'd rather not waste another slot). I think it's pretty cool. Renewal is up for the whole mission (except at low levels because Rage won't give energy then, but you don't need constant healing at low levels anyway).