Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pc upgrade for wf..? Help needed

Tobbhert

Question

Hi there. I have a question. Im thinking about upgrading my pc soon but i cant really afford to buy it all at once so i need to buy one part at a time.

So my question is what do you guy think i should upgrade first? Most of the time i only play warframe. And im getting around 45-70 fps with everything on low and nvidia controll panel is optimized too. 

My current rig is: 

Intel core i5 3570k @3.40ghz

8gb ram 665mhz

Nvidia geforce gtx 750ti

I feel like i should have more fps with this setup but whatever i do does no change..

One thing that i can tell you is that when i play my cpu goes up and stays at around 77-83 degrees celcius. Everything else like gpu stays under 65 degrees.

Can the fps issue have to be with my cpu getting to hot?

Tips and help would be amazing.

Thanks

10 hours ago, taiiat said:

that's not uncommon, fairly high end/TDP consumer Processor, and Stock Cooler.

and uh.... PGA939 isn't even close to the same age as his Processor... his is about 8 years newer >.>

Um not in my experience when it comes to IDLE temps even with stock coolers.  I have never had a cpu idle that high and I've had all sorts including dual socket rigs with 2xAMD MP1700+ which ran pretty hot. 

It was more a point that my older cpu which ran fairly hot idled lower than the OP's, newer cpu's have all run cooler in my experience. 

Either way that is far too high a temperature for his cpu to be idling at.

I have your same CPU. I used to have 8GB of RAM and a 660. If your CPU is behaving well, a GTX 1060 and more RAM is all you need -- get a couple of new DDR3 RAM sticks and replace the ones you have with them -- make sure your motherboard supports the speed you want to get!

That should do wonders.

Edited by NightmareT12

Just now, NightmareT12 said:

I have your same CPU. I used to have 8GB of RAM and a 660. If your CPU is behaving well, a 1060 and more RAM is all you need -- get a couple of new DDR3 RAM sticks and replace the ones you have with them -- make sure your motherboard supports the speed you want to get!

That should do wonders.

My motherboars only supports 1333 mhz so i need to get a new motherboard first :)

Just now, Tobbhert said:

My motherboars only supports 1333 mhz so i need to get a new motherboard first :)

In that case, that's what I call the full package :P I'm not sure if you'll find a good MB for that i5 now, all sockets are for the newer class chips. It's the issue I had searching for one when I wanted to finally OC my i5.

Hey i got another question. i was reading something here on the forums about core unparking. i downloaded the program and it found 2 cores that were parked. i didnt do anything yet instead i opened resource manager and found nothing about any cores that are parked. so is 2 of my cores parked or not is the question?

i'll just try to help correct some extra false information given here again - because if you spend money based on false information then all they've done is sabotage you.

new Thermal Paste may help a bit but it's a Stock Cooler either way - these temperatures are fairly normal - a bit higher than average but still in the ballpark. especially from your Generation of intel Processor and on, where the IHS is no longer soldered, and in the age of Turbo Boost. so if we supposed you're currently in a worst case scenario, and replacing Thermal Paste would move you to a best case scenario, even then it wouldn't make a bigger difference than ~10°C.
if you would like to change that, then a low cost aftermarket Cooler is the solution.

the Thermal Design Power (TDP) of your Processor has absolutely nothing to do with what temperatures it will Throttle at - that is only a rating of how much Thermal Energy the unit generates.

you don't need a new GPU. you're welcome to do so ofcourse but yours is plenty for Warframe, save for a couple Video Settings i noted previously.
and GPU isn't the major limiter on mid-high systems for performance in Warframe...

the maximum Memory Clock Speed supported isn't 1333Mhz, because of the advent of XMP - as i noted previously, enable that in your BIOS and your Memory will run at its factory ratings. which is different than Overclocking, in that it's basically 1st party pre-approved Overclocking.

you don't need more or different Memory, unless you want it for multi-tasking reasons (having 52 internet tabs open while playing games, playing multiple games at once, Et Cetera).

if you're getting conflicting information on whether Windows is parking CPU Cores, just disable that 'feature' anyways, to ensure that it doesn't ever happen.

Just a little update. I cleaned out all dust from my pc and let a family member to install a hyper 212 cpu cooler and i also cleaned out old files from my pc etc. I havent played warframe yet but i will come back with a update of if there was any diffrence

23 minutes ago, Tobbhert said:

No changes after a new cpu cooler, did some tests now with cpu at around 50-57c i still go down from 130 to 55-60fps as soon as i get close to mobs.

Well that is still a good(huge) 20C difference and much more acceptable I'm going to guess you live in a warmer climate which will limit how much heat it can dump into the air. Also if they used the provided thermal paste it's not the best of quality.. not useless but not worth using really.

Also I would suggest limiting your fps to 60 because as much as people think a higher number is better all you are doing is over working your system while hitting that 130fps which causes more heat.

My system on some games can easily hit 400fps, but that just causes my system to heat up as it doesn't Need to be trying to process it that fast.

Edited by SilvaDreams

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:34 PM, Tobbhert said:

And about the ram bottlenecking thing. What does it mean? Should i get ram with higher speed?

Your RAM isn't bottlenecking anything. RAM speed isn't particularly important from the Sandybridge CPUs on. Unless you're competitively overclocking, the returns on faster RAM are minimal.

My i5 2500K uses the same RAM speed yours does and it can maintain 60fps across most situations. Of course, it's running an NVidia TitanX, but it's also running 2560x1600. It has no issue with its 8-year old 1333 speed RAM.

I wouldn't bother replacing the RAM unless a stick goes bad. If you rebuild, there's no reason not to upgrade it (since the newer DDR4 stuff is cheaper now), but I wouldn't go out of my way to replace it. It's simply not that big of a deal.

I would limit my fps to 60 but it somehow slows down the game even more. Mouse feels slower/slower reaction times and the game doesnt performe as if i dont limit my fps. But i still feel like theres something wrong with either my pc or something with my settings.. going from 120-140 all the way down to 50-60 just because i get close to ONE or TWO enemies doesnt feel right. 

Maybe its suppose to be that way cus my pc cant handle the "extra load" that comes when the game starts to "read" the enemies. Im not so good at computer hardware stuff but i actually never seen anyone having this issue. 

The next thing that i could try is just simply save up for a better gpu and see what happends. 

Everyone here is mentioning CPU temps and I've never checked nor downloaded any program that tells me what mine is.

Granted I did buy a Corsair hydro H60, and leave my case fans on full all the time. (2 200mm's, 2 120mm's, & 4 60mm's)

Still the concept of PC temps to me is beyond my knowledge so I figured go big or go home when it comes to cooling.

15 minutes ago, Tobbhert said:

... the main issue is the wierd massive fps drop. 

Did you check your BIOS to see if you can change XMP settings as taiiat mentions?  Are you running anti-virus and anti-malware software?  If so have you done recent scans of your PC?  If your hard drive isn't an SSD have you defragmented it recently?  Have you defragged your registry?  Have you tried running software to optimize your PC via changing settings?  Are you seeing FPS drops/performance issues in other games?

38 minutes ago, Arcainyx said:

Did you check your BIOS to see if you can change XMP settings as taiiat mentions?  Are you running anti-virus and anti-malware software?  If so have you done recent scans of your PC?  If your hard drive isn't an SSD have you defragmented it recently?  Have you defragged your registry?  Have you tried running software to optimize your PC via changing settings?  Are you seeing FPS drops/performance issues in other games?

About the bios XMP thing no, i havent checked anything there cus i dont really know what it is or anything. ive been in to bios twice in my whole life (23 years) so.

About the virus/malware yes. i have windows defender active and i scan with both that and malware bytes around once a week or so and so far nothing found.

I do have a HDD and no SSD. I have never done a defrag and i will start doing that right away. About software im not sure what you mean. And i do have some fps drops/low fps in other games to while running at LOWEST settings + tweaks done. Even Diablo 3 i cant even run higher than low and everything off + tweaked things in a specefic settings file..

16 minutes ago, Tobbhert said:

About the bios XMP thing no, i havent checked anything there cus i dont really know what it is or anything. ive been in to bios twice in my whole life (23 years) so...

When your PC boots up there is usually a key combination you need to hit on your keyboard to enter BIOS.  Once you do you'll need to look around in the different screens of your BIOS to find the settings for  XMP.  Somewhere on the screen should be instructions on what you need to do to move around between the different screens and change settings if need be.  As every BIOS is different I can't provide specifics on what you need to do.  I'd suggest moving through every screen that might be relevant to see if you can find a setting for XMP.  Alternatively if you have the manufacturer and model number of your motherboard there may be documentation you can find online.

20 minutes ago, Tobbhert said:

...About the virus/malware yes. i have windows defender active and i scan with both that and malware bytes around once a week or so and so far nothing found...

Great news.

22 minutes ago, Tobbhert said:

...I do have a HDD and no SSD. I have never done a defrag and i will start doing that right away...

This could be important.  If you never defrag an HD it will lead to performance issues and eventually serious problems with your HD.  You should start this with nothing else open and see how long it will take after the scan of your drive is done.  It could take a while.  You might want to do several runs to be sure your drive is completely defragged.  Hopefully once that's finished your PC will perform better.

24 minutes ago, Tobbhert said:

...About software im not sure what you mean...

There's a set of software for optimization of PCs.  It changes settings on your PC that are otherwise overlooked by most programs and users such as removing unneeded registry settings, updating browser settings, etc.  Using software like this can be dangerous for your PC as some viruses and malware are either embedded in these programs or create fake websites as a means to get you to install their dangerous programs on your PC.  Usually I like to investigate this kind of software as a sort of last resort if everything else doesn't seem to be helping.

31 minutes ago, Tobbhert said:

-snip-

FPS drops in other games

Try the other things in this post first.  Hopefully one of them will work and you won't need to spend money to solve these problems.  If they don't work you can always go back down the road of upgrading.

i did the defrag thing and it found 1%. i wont do it right now sence i heard that it would take a while to do it. Might do it overnight.

And yes upgradeing my pc is my final optinion right now. Cus ive litterally tried everything. Even cleaning out and resetted the PC to factory. Now im out of ideas.

But thanks alot for the help. and if any1 finds out anything new that i could try to do then let me know. Cus im not gonna be able to upgrade my pc for a while anyway :)

59 minutes ago, Tobbhert said:

i did the defrag thing and it found 1%. i wont do it right now sence i heard that it would take a while to do it. Might do it overnight...

1% is quite low.  You should still do it but I don't think that will affect your performance much.

1 hour ago, Tobbhert said:

...upgradeing my pc is my final optinion right now. Cus ive litterally tried everything...

Sorry to hear that.  Maybe other people will have suggestions for you.

Just wondering... Are you sure the game is using your Nvidia card and not a default integrated graphics card? I've had several games use my integrated card by default and I had to manually switch in Nvidia control panel.

Also, verifying and optimizing the download cache in Warframe's launcher settings should help.

1 hour ago, MrJxt said:

Just wondering... Are you sure the game is using your Nvidia card and not a default integrated graphics card? I've had several games use my integrated card by default and I had to manually switch in Nvidia control panel.

Also, verifying and optimizing the download cache in Warframe's launcher settings should help.

I will check that  ty for information :)