Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is 'your' prime junk?

Mesolimbo

Question

A newbie here. So, prime junk are prime pieces that are turned into ducats because they are not rare/valuable enough to be traded for much plat. This much I understand after googling it. However, I always choose the best drop option when I open a relic but some people regard lith gold drops as prime junk.

I guess it depends on personal standards which leads to the more important question: what is prime junk for you? For me, I always try to have 1 copy of everything prime. If a gold piece drops, I turn it into ducat if I already have a copy of it. Is this a good reasoning?

Bonus question: which mods should I keep for selling (for plat) and which should be turned into credits (if ever)? is transmutation worthwhile? I'm not asking for a conclusive list, just post whatever comes to mind.

Thanks for your time :)

13 answers to this question

Prime junk are mostly prime parts that are old but they are not in the prime vault. Why? Coz most of the players already got it. So now its the stuff from Trinity Prime and Saryn Prime accesses. If you dont see a part you are intrested in in the rewards you grap one with the highest rarity, if its not old, you can sell it for some plat. If it is, you can either choose to give them to Barro or wait for the next 2 prime accesses to sell a set of old prime gear to a new generation of Tenno, the prime is incredibly high for those coz it has been unavalibe for last half a year or so.

I only consider prime junk as anything that's unvaultable and generally used for ducats. For example Paris and Braton parts are junk to me since they're cheap and everyone has them. I generally sell any rare part for plat or keep them. The older they the part, the more I'm likely to keep it until it gets vaulted. However for something that's incredibly cheap, like Fragor BP which only sells for 10-15p, I just end up converting it to ducats. 

As for mods, sell things like Life Strike, Berserker and rare Stances. Transmutation is only worthwhile if you have a lot of mods and credits to transmute in bulk after every update in the hopes of getting the new mods, but otherwise turn duplicate unwanted mods into endo by dissolving them. When Baro comes to a relay, he'll sometimes bring Primed Mods like Primed Continuity, Flow, Pistol Gambit, Pressure Point, etc. and some of them can be worth a lot. He can also bring some event mods like Buzz Kill which can be worth a lot.

If you need help pricing things, use the market as a guideline, but remember that even though a lot of people use the market, you can still sell for more or buy for less if you're patient in the trade chat.

Prime parts that typically get converted to ducats are those where the item is already built and in use, but whose relics are still available for farming (or I have 200+ of them).

In other words, if I have the item and it's still available, subsequent items get converted to ducats.

I usually keep sets of vaulted items around, but if they start getting excessive (like 10 complete sets of Hikou Prime), some might get converted.

I couldn't care less about player perceptions of platinum value, since it's so ephemeral and I have very little inclination to deal with tradechat.

6 hours ago, Mesolimbo said:

is transmutation worthwhile?

You have to have the right mindset for transmutation to be successful and even then it only starts to make sense when you have 100's of spare rare mods and millions of spare credits.

The way you instantly fail with transmutation is thinking you want/need/expect a specific mod and are going to get it.  There are so many mods in the game that your chances of pulling any specific one is exceedingly small. 

Instead you have to look at it as taking four crap mods that you already have like Power Throw and taking a chance on getting something better. Maybe that "better" is a mod you don't have or a mod worth trading if you do.  This will still often result in another crap mod but you hit "better" often enough that if you are in a place where you don't care about the loss of mods and credits then go for it.  You might start with 100 mods and 1 million credits and end up with 4 or 5 mods worth having in the end.

Of course your own personal luck with transmutation will vary.  I'll be the first to admit mine is pretty good and I tend to transmute new mods like condition overload faster than I can farm them.  But I have friends with terrible luck that refuse to even try anymore.

ppl use that term to shark other players to buy parts dirt cheap then wen get valuted sell it for massive profit...no junk parts...if u miss 1 part u cant  finish set so yeah... be cearful in trade a lot

For me, "prime junk" is stuff I just don't have yet. I have most of the items that are currently in circulation, so it's most things at the moment.

However, if you're new I'd try to look through the Codex at Primes you want to get/keep, as well as Trinity Prime Dual Kamas Prime since those are the next to go into the Vault (in other words: become unfarmable and thus much more rare). Aside from those things, send all other items to the Void. Only way to get a substantial number of them IMO.