Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

Umbra only exists for 2 reasons.

1. so DE could make a new "Excalibur Prime" for the Chinese release with Excalibur Umbra Prime

2. To give normal players an "Excalibur Prime" in the normal Umbra, without giving them Excalibur Prime because of legal reasons.

Umbra however, is quite bad. He's a buggy mess and DE have no intention of fixing him (confirmed by Pablo on a devstream, I can't remember which one).
So, I doubt we'll have any more "Umbras" cause there's no reason for them to exist really.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, (XBOX)BigMan792004 said:

What is an 'Umbra' variation and is it reasonable to hope for more things of the Umbra variation?

Lore-wise, Umbra is a special case of torturing someone who really pissed off Ballas. Gameplay-wise, he's just the non-founder's alternative to Excalibur Prime. Since Umbra's story is already told, and no more Primes will be presumably tied to Founders packs (the closest to new ones are those Heirloom cosmetics), the chances of new stuff seem very unlikely.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, (XBOX)BigMan792004 said:

Maybe it's just because I don't fully understand what an 'Umbra' is and why Excalibur is the only one currently, but man does he look cool in Umbra. Ever since playing the 'Sacrifice' , I've considered Excalibur Umbra to have the best cool factor, purely based off of how good his normal drip is. What is an 'Umbra' variation and is it reasonable to hope for more things of the Umbra variation? If primes were what existed in the Orokin era and Excalibur Umbra was also made during the Orokin reign, wouldn't there be more umbras?  Examples:

1) Volt Umbra

2) Braton Umbra

3) Mag Umbra

4) Boltor Umbra

5) Nikana Umbra 

etc😁Hope DE explores this path and maybe with 1999, time travel will be expanded into more of the time of the Orokin since that also relates to Albrecht Entrati.

Main thing to note is that Umbra is a sort of "lore-frame"; unlike the typical warframes (prime or regular), he's technically a defined character in the setting's present that has some plot relevance beyond his initial quest (he's sort of meant for New War like Paracesis; sadly he's not really acknowledged again till Jade Shadows)

To me, that means any future Umbra's would need to share a similar story relevance, if not to the setting, than to Umbra himself. The only few frames I really see that working with is Valkyr/Gersemi (for existing concepts), Nyx (for legacy reasons), one of the "changed" frames like Revenant, or one of the unused concept designs for the original 8 frames that haven't already been used.

Edited by (XBOX)Omega399
Missing info