Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

Instead of just "mag umbra" or what have you, I would prefer something a little more meaningful to the frame itself.

Interestingly, a lot of the acolyte powers, and even stalker's set, are very close to a lot of those frames, and I think it would be neat to get them on-board as sentient warframes adjacent to Umbra. Maybe with their own unique mods (Stalker Mods? True Acolyte Mods?) and at least one unique weapon per frame. I suppose they should share the Umbral polarity, however, or else we'll get off in the weeds inventing new polarities and formas.

I remember the time of the Wuklone nerf that broke all ally AI, including Excal Umbra.  That's one reason why I don't want to see another Umbra.

The other is that I just don't find it very imaginative.  Maybe if it was a Umbra variant with a different effect than Excal when in drifter/operator mode like pulsing an aura increasing amp damage by a set percentage or something when out of transference or something, but definitely not a copy/paste of the current Umbra because it's already been done.

46 minutes ago, Sojufueled said:

There was an odd point in time where it seemed like they were going to be alternatives for frames that couldn't be prime. They solved that little dilemma by just not caring about it.

No, they were also on record saying every frame could be Prime right from the outset. The closest thing to your claim was the release of Gersemi Valkyrie, so fewer people would ask what was up with Valkyr Prime

20 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

Source on this? Because...

...this part is false. Years and years ago they DID intend on more Umbra frames as per Devstream 58

Learn the concept of "reading between the lines", it will serve you well in your adult life.

They made Excalibur umbra so people would stop asking for Excalibur prime 

they even made a Excalibur umbra prime for China 

so until DE announces otherwise just assume no more umbras are planned for the foreseeable future 

Honestly, no. There are some reasons:

• DE makes money from prime warframes, so they looks cool and stuff. Imagine there are umbral warfames. Should they be stronger than their prime variant or weaker? Or what? If they are equals, then what's the point? From a financial point of view it is not profitable.
  • I don't want to repolarize warframes and nobody wants. I already have all warframes listed above and don't want to get another copy
  • There is also need in lore. All umbral warframes must have lore. If you didn't know, we already have one, just check Leverian.

It would be great if we could add intelligence to a prime warframe thru helminth so they can use their abilities normally. But creating a new series isn't right decision.

On 2024-01-10 at 3:21 PM, Sierra said:

New umbra frames have probably been put on the back burner much like The Sergeant rework, re-introducing raids, etc have been.

If they previously expressed interest then it's likely it will eventually happen. There have been other times where things DE has outright said something would never be added but ended up being added much later like dancing, so in regards to new umbra frames the situation is far more likely to actually turn out. 

Keep up that hope OP, your dedication is admirable!

Hopefully yeah o7

I'm fine with DE no longer wanting to make anymore Umbras. Honestly I see Augment mods + Helminth being no different than having an Umbra in its place. Could be even more of a cosmetic "what if" skin thing if they actually wanted to.

HOWEVER, I would still like to see other variant Umbral mods in the future. Stretch, Streamline, and Primary/Secondary variants are some of the possibilities that  come to mind.

Edited by Maj-Cero
Complaints about dark mode
  • Like 3

Umbral mods are pointless, because the only benefit they'd offer compared to a Primed/Archon version is Tau Resist or + damage to sentients, but there is basically nowhere in the game where this matters, as there's no permanent sentient tileset, and current setups wipe the floor with sentients already. I'm pretty sure Streamline is never getting an upgraded version, even though it wouldn't do that much damage because our energy economy is borked beyond repair already.

stalky and the acolytes grabbed the blueprints first, no more umbras  :/

maybe when these are made part of the eternalism cycling between 1999 and present iteration, there will be a form of some playability chance, like the circuit stalker

8 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

Umbral mods are pointless, because the only benefit they'd offer compared to a Primed/Archon version is Tau Resist or + damage to sentients, but there is basically nowhere in the game where this matters, as there's no permanent sentient tileset, and current setups wipe the floor with sentients already. I'm pretty sure Streamline is never getting an upgraded version, even though it wouldn't do that much damage because our energy economy is borked beyond repair already.

Highly disagree with that logic. If you think Tau Resist or Sentient Dmg+ is the main focus of those mods then you are truly lost my friend. They only shine when combing with other Umbrals for the boosted increase. My examples of Streamline there is no Primed/Archon version so that would be an increase there already, and Archon Stretch isn't beneficial on every frame so that is a plus there as well before considering any boosted combination bonuses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, o0Despair0o said:

Please don't format using black text, it's hard to read in dark mode.

image.png

Changed for your convenience, sorry about that. It wasn't originally showing on my end hence the reason I chose a darker color > automatic 

There doesn't really seem to be a design space for more Umbra.

Mechanically there's no space. Excal Umbra was used to fill out the prime shaped hole in most players' roster. For the rest of the frames we just have primes.

Design wise I'm not sure the concept is broad enough. Putting a scarf and loops on 50+ frames would quickly become boring and samey. Kind of the problem they had with primes and only using white/gold.

• Like 2

Excal Umbra is an one-off solution to the Excal Prime and the Chinese Build issues back in I think 2016? Being one of the best cinematic quest in Warframe history was something extra.

So no, there won't be any more umbra version of warframes. 

Also warframes being sentient and fighting on their own is really a downgrade because they become vulnerable and often got killed when you go into operator, especially in the SP Circuit.

• Like 1

On 2024-01-17 at 3:18 PM, Maj-Cero said:

HOWEVER, I would still like to see other variant Umbral mods in the future. Stretch, Streamline, and Primary/Secondary variants are some of the possibilities that  come to mind.

They added archon mods, those are the closest things so far, but we have yet to get any playable archons.