Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(chains of harrow) does rell have a touch of autism? serious question.

olyellur

Coming from someone with high functioning autism btw. So I was playing the new quest just now. And the things rell does reminds me of autism in general. When he is shown the emotion cards in the second or third mission, it's like a communication method for kids with autism. I've seen it work. He has that sense of communication too. And when I got his relic, he was overprotective of it. I understand most people would be though. Probably just a coincidence. But if DE actually wanted to give rell a touch of autism, I say well done DE, you did well by raising the awareness with your game. Much love. If that's the case haha. Just a concern, thought i'd bring it up with you guys. Because I'm not entirely sure.

Your thoughts?

Actually makes me wonder if all Tenno are out of touch with their own emotion in a way.

I mean they went through some pretty crazy ****, wouldn't be surprised if they displayed similar behavior.

In the end, the others may not have been so different from Rell.

2 minutes ago, Tricky5hift said:

Actually makes me wonder if all Tenno are out of touch with their own emotion in a way.

I mean they went through some pretty crazy ****, wouldn't be surprised if they displayed similar behavior.

Isn't the same true for reality? 'Normal' people and people with autism are both people, they just function differently. Doesn't change the fact we're all human, and we all struggle at times, some people more than others.

I don't know if that's intended or not, but if it is then DE is doing something very well to place a message like that in their game. Too few games do things like this.

Just now, Tricky5hift said:

I image they aren't going to be too normal, by our standards anyway.  Rell seemed to be different from the other Tenno, and you could say his reactions seemed to be akin to someone dealing with Autism, but like most things, I think focusing on the character as a character is more important than any group he may or may not represent. Plus it is funner to have a few blanks we fill in our selves than have all things plainly dropped in front of us lol.

If you asked my opinion though, from my limited knowledge of the character, I would say if he isn't on the spectrum is he comes across as at least borderline.

There are also two other things about Rell.

First, he can't experience emotion or had a hard time doing such. The other children on the Zariman Ten Zero didn't want to play with him and ostracized him because he was different. Rell's mother had those cards so he could familiarize himself with emotions and see representations of them from the pictures on the cards.

And second, Rell's senses were out of wack. Everything from light, sound, and even touch was magnified for him. The only thing that kept his focus and helped him keep his mind on track was his mother and the hum of the Donda she gave him.

At least, that's how I interpreted it.

10 minutes ago, (PS4)geomancer1980 said:

I image they aren't going to be too normal, by our standards anyway.  Rell seemed to be different from the other Tenno, and you could say his reactions seemed to be akin to someone dealing with Autism, but like most things, I think focusing on the character as a character is more important than any group he may or may not represent. Plus it is funner to have a few blanks we fill in our selves than have all things plainly dropped in front of us lol.

If you asked my opinion though, from my limited knowledge of the character, I would say if he isn't on the spectrum is he comes across as at least borderline.

12 minutes ago, KuraioNokami said:

Isn't the same true for reality? 'Normal' people and people with autism are both people, they just function differently. Doesn't change the fact we're all human, and we all struggle at times, some people more than others.

I don't know if that's intended or not, but if it is then DE is doing something very well to place a message like that in their game. Too few games do things like this.

I think Rell's character serves as a bit of irony for the rest of the Tenno.

He was the outcast back when everything was "normal" but after the whole Void accident all the Tenno are literally outcasted by the universe.

21 minutes ago, Tricky5hift said:

I think that's kind of the irony in the story. Rell got left out because of how "different" he was, but he was the one smart enough to recognize that there's a conscious, malevolent entity in the Void--and, at the end of the day, the one to save all of them, at least for a while, by staying in the Void and occupying its attention.

Also, I believe Rebecca confirmed a few weeks ago over Twitter that they were indeed attempting to portray Rell as autistic (with a Warframe spin, naturally), much in the same way that Cephalon Suda's story in Octavia's Anthem/What Remains was about dealing with dementia. Personally I don't think it matters to zero in on what specific "thing" they're suffering from--Rell for instance is clearly a weird kid who has trouble with people, and the story works because of that and not any specific label attached to it--but there you go.

8 hours ago, ChargeBeam said:

First, he can't experience emotion or had a hard time doing such. The other children on the Zariman Ten Zero didn't want to play with him and ostracized him because he was different. Rell's mother had those cards so he could familiarize himself with emotions and see representations of them from the pictures on the cards.

Incorrect, actually. Let me fix this for you.

Rell can experience emotion. What Rell struggles to do is express his emotion in rational ways as most neurotypical people would (he gets angry, happy, sad or shy but he doesn't know how to explain those emotions the way others would, and need to be taught.) Rell also struggles with his empathy. He struggles to read the emotions of other people. You're so, so so totally wrong about him being unable to experience emotion that it hurts. So consider yourself corrected. Kindly: an autistic who struggles with the exact same problem in real life and still often fails to properly read the emotion in other people's expressions even at the age of twenty-five and growing.

You're welcome.

8 hours ago, ChargeBeam said:

And second, Rell's senses were out of wack. Everything from light, sound, and even touch was magnified for him. The only thing that kept his focus and helped him keep his mind on track was his mother and the hum of the Donda she gave him.

A defining symptom of somebody with ASD: sensory disorders.

Many people with ASD have sensory disorders or tactile dysfunctions. I, for example, can't swallow meat if it's a certain texture. At all. Physically. Not because I don't like it, not because I don't want to, but because I just can't. The texture sends me into a minor panic attack and trying to swallow it makes me physically vomit. Similarly, I'm also extremely sensitive as to what fabrics I can or can't wear. Certain fabrics are incredibly uncomfortable and they make me itch constantly to the point of being impossible to wear. A friend of mine who also has ASD has a rare sensory disorder in which they effectively see everything in colour. As in: everything in their world is associated with a colour, not just physical objects. A name. A smell. A person. The way somebody talks. A piece of music. It literally trips something in their brain which makes them visibly see a colour, and they can't ever turn this "process" off. They are all associated automatically with colours in my friend's brain, which means that to them some people are red, some people are blue, others green, etc. 

Because of this, it also means that on some days when things get too noisy, they have to go and rest somewhere quieter or they experience sensory overload.

The answer is yes, by the way. Rell is very clearly coded as autistic.

• 3 months later...

i'm personal with this...

i have autism and when i played this quest i felt similar...

being bullied because of being/acting different and the struggle of daily life to stay 'balanced' inside....

i admit i cried during this quest....

thank you DE for the awareness, you did it good :)

pls don't go crazy on me and pls don't troll me for this...