Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Well done DE for going open world

(PSN)Kal-Gura

I can honestly say that I was blown away by the announcement of an open world environment. Bloody good move and something I was personally happy to hear about. I love Warframe and it's current state with the levels being the way they are, but I always felt like an open world would work wonders for Warframe. I only hope that this first open environment will gradually get filled with plenty to find/unlock/do. And I hope there will be more to come in time or that this area gets expanded. I was curious about people's thoughts and what future content this open level could benefit from? Thank you.

Just now, Rambit23Z said:

Open world =/= MMO

Skyrim is open world, and it is a single player game.

Skyrim is an open environment, not an open world. It is an open environment that encases the whole exterior game world. Open world in this case is referring to people freely being able to join the area and be seen by other players. This is not the case with PoE as it is a 4 man instance system no different than existing missions or similarly dungeons in games that actually have open worlds. Skyrim has an open environment which people wrongly claim is an "open world" because there is no loading screens between map areas, only towns (unless you get the mod to fix that, that is), and caverns/dungeons. This is due to the amount of data required to load for all of those areas and all the AI packages running and all the script events triggering making it unfeasible to run in a 32 bit game. The 64 bit game probably has less problems with this and so likely runs such open city mods better.

16 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

... It isn't open world. The explorable zone is a 4 man instance. Its an open environment yes, but you wont be seeing other players out on the plains if you didn't party up with them in Cetus beforehand.

Still open world. its like @Rambit23Z said. Open world does not mea that it has to filled with other players.

The basic definition of open world is a non-liniar level design. Player count does not matter in this definition.

Just now, Airwolfen said:

Still open world. its like @Rambit23Z said. Open world does not mea that it has to filled with other players.

The basic definition of open world is a non-liniar level design. Player count does not matter in this definition.

Then in this case it is a very broad definition of the term that is easily misunderstood by players and such should be clarified when used so as to not give new players unaware of the reality of the area the wrong idea. Most players see open world in online games as a place you can freely join and see other players. I have seen several people already get confused about this and not know that the area has a 4 man instance limit and such complain that people were calling it what it was not, largely because of people making posts on forums like this with open world as the main term with no defining commentary going along with it.

1 minute ago, NeithanDiniem said:

Skyrim is an open environment, not an open world. It is an open environment that encases the whole exterior game world. Open world in this case is referring to people freely being able to join the area and be seen by other players. This is not the case with PoE as it is a 4 man instance system no different than existing missions or similarly dungeons in games that actually have open worlds. Skyrim has an open environment which people wrongly claim is an "open world" because there is no loading screens between map areas, only towns (unless you get the mod to fix that, that is), and caverns/dungeons. This is due to the amount of data required to load for all of those areas and all the AI packages running and all the script events triggering making it unfeasible to run in a 32 bit game. The 64 bit game probably has less problems with this and so likely runs such open city mods better.

You're literally just arguing semantics for basically no reason. You know exactly what people are talking about when they say "open world".

1 minute ago, Camelslayer said:

You're literally just arguing semantics for basically no reason. You know exactly what people are talking about when they say "open world".

See above post.

Also no, the game industry has specific definitions for open environment instances as well as open worlds. You dont use one term for 2 different things when both things have terms to define them apart from one another.

Edited by NeithanDiniem

3 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

See above post.

Also no, the game industry has specific definitions for open environment instances as well as open worlds. You dont use one term for 2 different things when both things have terms to define them apart from one another.

Except I've no idea where your definition of "open world" is coming from, open world has always been used to describe exactly what you're arguing against.

I don't think an open world by itself is automatically going to make Plains a success. Part of the reason Breath of the Wild, Elder Scrolls, etc. are so successful is not strictly that they're open worlds, but that the worlds are filled with stuff--treasures, challenges, quests, dungeons, whatever--that makes exploration rewarding.

That said, it sounds like DE is pretty cognizant of that fact, and even if they weren't, they're always listening for ways to improve. So I think it'll be awesome.

Just now, NeithanDiniem said:

Then in this case it is a very broad definition of the term that is easily misunderstood by players and such should be clarified when used so as to not give new players unaware of the reality of the area the wrong idea. Most players see open world in online games as a place you can freely join and see other players. I have seen several people already get confused about this and not know that the area has a 4 man instance limit and such complain that people were calling it what it was not, largely because of people making posts on forums like this with open world as the main term with no defining commentary going along with it.

I agree that the information about this matter was sparse at tennocon especially because this info was shared over twitter soon after. A larger play area does give the illusion that more players will be able to enter (though that is still a planned feature according to Steve) But the open world definition is just as broad. Its simply an indication of level design. It does not define whether something is multi- or singleplayer

Easy to find description on wikipedia:
Open world, free roam, or (more loosely) sandbox are terms for video games where a player can move freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in regard to how and when to approach particular objectives, as opposed to other video games that have a more linear structure to their gameplay.[1][2] While games had used open world designs prior since the 1980s, the implementation in Grand Theft Auto III (2001) set a standard that has been used in open-world design since that point.

33 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

... It isn't open world. The explorable zone is a 4 man instance. Its an open environment yes, but you wont be seeing other players out on the plains if you didn't party up with them in Cetus beforehand.

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned on forum that the dev's are supposedly looking at 8 player teams which based on the size of the maps I think I'd prefer over 4 but this again would add extra strain on those toasters and well we've already got toaster users worrying about system requirements....

As to it being open world/open environment.... both terms are debatable really when you think about it, we've got a 3x3km map with predefined explorable areas by the sounds of it which to me is just the same as the existing approach of maps, just on a bigger scale and with some extra 'features' or mini missions thrown in.  Don't get me wrong I liked the trailer as much as everyone and am looking forward to it (assuming not too much farming needed) just as much too. 

Edited by LSG501

26 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

Sorry man, but you don't know the definition of Open World Game. Open World means you are free to go where you want and do pretty whatever you want just about whenever you want with relatively few limitations. Skyrim is, most certainly, an Open World Game. So are games like GTA, Shadows of Mordor, and Saint's Row.

Edited by Ceryk

2 hours ago, NeithanDiniem said:

I heard it would have a capacity of 50 people and that yes you would see others going about their business. Maybe I am wrong but that was what I at least thought I heard. OK maybe I'm using the wrong terminology with 'open world'. Yes it's not a world but it is open so I'm half right lol.

To get back on the point though. Whatever it is to be called we cannot deny that it is 'open', so with that in mind I would again like to gather thoughts and comments on this idea for the game and inspiration for what could be the future of Warframe and possible expansions to systems, like say, the crafting, and what I'm hopeful for, broadening the operator abilities etc.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Kal-Gura said:

I heard it would have a capacity of 50 people and that yes you would see others going about their business. Maybe I am wrong but that was what I at least thought I heard. OK maybe I'm using the wrong terminology with 'open world'. Yes it's not a world but it is open so I'm half right lol.

No, that is only the city itself, not the environment. It was confirmed on Twitter the environment is 4 player instance.

16 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

No, that is only the city itself, not the environment. It was confirmed on Twitter the environment is 4 player instance.

Thank you for informing me of that. Up-to 4 players is great. As mentioned before it would be a hassle otherwise. Now I need to find someone to play it with lol.

21 hours ago, (PS4)Kal-Gura said:

Market / Bazaar area will be 50 ppl and hostile environment will be 4-player instance. 

On 7/15/2017 at 2:11 PM, NeithanDiniem said:

I thought they said it would be 50 players?

Market / Bazaar area will be 50 ppl and hostile environment will be 4-player instance. 

Really? With no load times?

Edited by BetaNoire