Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does anyone even care about the lore anymore?

KisaPrime

Do you even care if the lore even makes sense or fits with the other lore that's already in the game? For instance, like anything related to Ballas's concept art that doesn't match anything in the lore. Then along with the warframes having their own self awareness and being alive. Just some examples, not aiming at those specifically. 

Edited by KisaPrime

I still care about the lore. There are so many missing threads, so many unknowns, that I can't help but be fascinated by the lore. The contradictions are something I'm willing to chalk up to the game still technically being in beta. Well, some of them, anyways, like the Valkyr / Valkyr Prime one.

Just now, peterc3 said:

Without context, nobody is even remotely able to figure out what you mean.

Some context would be nice, indeed.

2 minutes ago, OmegaShadowcry said:

I still care about the lore. There are so many missing threads, so many unknowns, that I can't help but be fascinated by the lore. The contradictions are something I'm willing to chalk up to the game still technically being in beta. Well, some of them, anyways, like the Valkyr / Valkyr Prime one.

Some context would be nice, indeed.

read it again. 

1 minute ago, OmegaShadowcry said:

Well, some of them, anyways, like the Valkyr / Valkyr Prime one.

Valkyr Prime requires nothing to be changed. Righteous fury becomes unbridled rage. Merely a personality shift, and all the powers remain the same, flavor is essentially the same, nothing needs to be retconned.

I for one love Warframe's lore. It's fascinating, and with the information about how Warframes are created coming up? I've never theorized about a game before, much less to this extent. I think it's the fact that DE likes throwing contradictions to what we know at us for shock value, then explaining it later. Which, I am 100% ok with. I can't get enough.

11 minutes ago, KisaPrime said:

It honestly doesn't seem like anyone cares too much about it and fine when things don't match up with it at all. For instance, like anything related to Ballas's concept art that doesn't match anything in the lore. Then along with the warframes having their own self awareness and being alive. Just some examples not really aiming at those specifically. 

Rhino Prime's description gives you the limited, feral intelligence that frames possess, it's left open as to if it was changed in later iterations of the project to create warframes.

Ballas could be the pinnacle of Orokin beauty, or it is some innate ugliness that drives their obsession with gold, gleaming halls that we see part of in the towers.

It doesn't match the lore because you aren't actually paying attention.

Such as?

They're still constructing the lore, so a fair bit of the older stuff (such as any real connection to Dark Sector) got straight up retcon'd, which is to say that it is no longer considered part of the canonical timeline/continuity/whatever.

And aside from that we never really had much more than assumptions or inferences we made based on one thing or another, which of course were never official.

Except the codex entries, all of which still fit completely into canon last I checked, and in some cases even hint as to how long some developments have been in coming (Rhino Prime codex, Ember Prime codex, and probably a couple others I'm forgetting.).

So in light of that, I've inferred that you mistook fan theories for the actual continuity and are mad that they conflict with the official lore. I could link you to some threads where people felt violated enough to complain on these forums about the lore not meeting their exact demands or theories, just to give you an idea of what you're about to bring upon yourself if that's indeed the case.

10 minutes ago, KisaPrime said:

read it again.

It was presumptuous of you to assume that anyone had any idea what you were talking about.

For instance, like anything related to Ballas's concept art that doesn't match anything in the lore. Then along with the warframes having their own self awareness and being alive. Just some examples not really aiming at those specifically. 

First, there isn't any established lore on how the Orokin Executors themselves looked, and concept art is just that: a concept, as in, not the final iteration.

Secondly, Warframes blurring the line between machine and some sort of animal has been hinted at for at least as long as the Rhino Prime codex has been a thing.

Edited by Dreddeth

Just now, peterc3 said:

Valkyr Prime requires nothing to be changed. Righteous fury becomes unbridled rage. Merely a personality shift, and all the powers remain the same, flavor is essentially the same, nothing needs to be retconned.

Fair enough, I've heard that explanation elsewhere, and it makes sense.

Just now, KisaPrime said:

read it again.

Right, then.

12 minutes ago, KisaPrime said:

For instance, like anything related to Ballas's concept art that doesn't match anything in the lore. Then along with the warframes having their own self awareness and being alive. Just some examples not really aiming at those specifically. 

So, time to break this one apart.

Ballas
From what we know so far, the concept art of him is from no particular point in time, past or present. I theorize that it's supposed to be Ballas post-collapse, since he is described as being, essentially, divinely beautiful. His symmetry is nonexistent, and his body seems augmented, suggesting that he had to go against his Orokin vanity to survive. Beyond that, we know nothing -- it is, after all, concept art.

The Sentience of Warframes
Here's a rabbit hole we could travel down for the next week... As peterc3 stated above me, Rhino Prime codex entry indicates that the Warframes, or at least their precursors, possessed a rudimentary intelligence, enough to react with no controlling entity. As of The Second Dream, we have seen our frames do something similar -- reacting, without an outside force, to act in self-preservation / to protect the Operator. As for them being alive, of course they would be alive. The Orokin had laws against non-biological tech, hence the meat-walls, and the fact that Ordis, and possibly all other Cephalons, were once living beings. Hence why they opposed the precursors to the Sentient being used to colonize Tau.

That should be everything covered. Please let me know if I forget something.

4 minutes ago, Dreddeth said:

Such as?

They're still constructing the lore, so a fair bit of the older stuff (such as any real connection to Dark Sector) got straight up retcon'd, which is to say that it is no longer considered part of the canonical timeline/continuity/whatever.

And aside from that we never really had much more than assumptions or inferences we made based on one thing or another, which of course were never official.

Except the codex entries, all of which still fit completely into canon last I checked, and in some cases even hint as to how long some developments have been in coming (Rhino Prime codex, Ember Prime codex, and probably a couple others I'm forgetting.).

So in light of that, and the fact that you've not provided any examples to lend your criticism some context, I've inferred that you mistook fan theories for the actual continuity and are mad that they conflict with the official lore. I could link you to some threads where people felt violated enough to complain on these forums about the lore not meeting their exact demands or theories, just to give you an idea of what you're about to bring upon yourself if that's indeed the case.

It was presumptuous of you to assume that anyone had any idea what you were talking about.

First, there isn't any established lore on how the Orokin Executors themselves looked, and concept art is just that: a concept, as in, not the final iteration.

Secondly, Warframes blurring the line between machine and some sort of animal has been hinted at for at least as long as the Rhino Prime codex has been a thing.

I'm not the greatest at explaining things due to my learning disorder so sorry about that. Thank you for making me feel worse about my disorder. 

Edited by KisaPrime

I honestly can say that I don't care about the lore anymore. It was mysterious and captivating at first, 3 years ago or so when I started?  now it seems like a rebellious teen's drama written on the back of his/her notebook. A lot of things contradict each other but people keep justifying them... and you know what? People like it anyway. Even if it's cliche and full of teenage angst people seem to enjoy it so I just play the game and ignore the story. The story is like 5% of the game anyway. It's irrelevant.

My advice? Just ignore it. Play. Have fun and let others play and enjoy the lore if they want.

Edited by Heatnix.

Honestly, I can't make any sense out of what you are complaining about. Neither can a lot of other people. Instead of telling us to read it it again, maybe you should be very specific. Where exactly does Ballas' appearance contradict lore, for instance?

As for lore, a lot of people are. I care about the upfront lore. I'm not going to go hunting through hidden lore because I enjoy active story as entertainment.

7 minutes ago, OmegaShadowcry said:

Fair enough, I've heard that explanation elsewhere, and it makes sense.

Right, then.

So, time to break this one apart.

Ballas
From what we know so far, the concept art of him is from no particular point in time, past or present. I theorize that it's supposed to be Ballas post-collapse, since he is described as being, essentially, divinely beautiful. His symmetry is nonexistent, and his body seems augmented, suggesting that he had to go against his Orokin vanity to survive. Beyond that, we know nothing -- it is, after all, concept art.

The Sentience of Warframes
Here's a rabbit hole we could travel down for the next week... As peterc3 stated above me, Rhino Prime codex entry indicates that the Warframes, or at least their precursors, possessed a rudimentary intelligence, enough to react with no controlling entity. As of The Second Dream, we have seen our frames do something similar -- reacting, without an outside force, to act in self-preservation / to protect the Operator. As for them being alive, of course they would be alive. The Orokin had laws against non-biological tech, hence the meat-walls, and the fact that Ordis, and possibly all other Cephalons, were once living beings. Hence why they opposed the precursors to the Sentient being used to colonize Tau.

That should be everything covered. Please let me know if I forget something.

With Rhino's lore that's about the Operators being rushed into transference by the Orokin and went insane for a bit. Which is why rhino ends up stopping infront of the Tenno and starts to look at it's hands and coming Tenno coming back to their senses. 

Second dream if you notice the warframe lights up just like when an Operator gives it power to start up. Which it does that before it starts to move, which could hint that another Operator could have taken over that. Though most likely you will dismiss that theory. 

Edited by KisaPrime

1 minute ago, KisaPrime said:

I'm not the greatest at explaining things due to my learning disorder so sorry about that. 

That's not a valid defense of your posts. I hate to be that guy, so I'm even gonna give you the benefit of the doubt as far as whether or not you're lying about having a disorder, but even after you've explained things, your posts still can't stand up to examination.

1 minute ago, KisaPrime said:

With Rhino's lore that's about the Operators being rushed into transference by the Orokin and went insane for a bit. Which is why rhino ends up stopping infront of the Tenno and starts to look at it's hands and coming Tenno coming back to their senses. 

That's one way of interpreting it, but remember what I said about fan theories? Your explanation causes a contradiction to something that we've been shown in game, that warframes have a degree of sentience, while the more conventional explanation of it being a case of a feral prototype creates no such problems.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think this is the part where I look up those threads I mentioned to serve as examples of how one's personal interpretation of the lore means pretty much nothing.

Just now, KisaPrime said:

Steve sent out a tweet recently when specifically asked about Rhino Prime's lore and said the entry is still relevant to lore and nothing's changed.

Just now, Dreddeth said:

That's not a valid defense of your posts. I hate to be that guy, so I'm even gonna give you the benefit of the doubt as far as whether or not you're lying about having a disorder, but even after you've explained things, your posts still can't stand up to examination.

That's one way of interpreting it, but remember what I said about fan theories? Your explanation causes a contradiction to something that we've been shown in game, that warframes have a degree of sentience, while the more conventional explanation of it being a case of a feral prototype creates no such problems.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think this is the part where I look up those threads I mentioned to serve as examples of how one's personal interpretation of the lore means pretty much nothing.

If I honestly knew how to explain what I'm trying to say better I would instead of just having people bash me on how I'm not able to explain it well enough. 

2 minutes ago, Ceryk said:

Steve sent out a tweet recently when specifically asked about Rhino Prime's lore and said the entry is still relevant to lore and nothing's changed.

Never said it didn't have anything to do with the lore, it has a lot to do with it but not about Rhino having it's own separate consciousness. Kind of like if you were put into a body that wasn't yours and you went insane for a bit. Then once you saw your actual body, that would jog your memory and kind of help you come back to your sense. 

Edited by KisaPrime

2 minutes ago, Dreddeth said:

Found one example. After the first 10 pages, people saw that civil discussion was a lost cause and just told the guy what they thought of him and his ideas until the mod locked it.

The title alone is a red flag on their rant. 

I used to like the lore. but then when I found out what the tenno really were I mostly stopped caring.

I always thought you were some sort of sentient green goo that was able to think on its own. Or a being of pure energy.

either way I thought you switching warframe's was you basically switching armor sets.

And I wish it was that. I don't like being a kid controlling everything or the fact that the warframe is alive and has a mind of its own. it feels a bit wrong to be mind controlling something even if it is infested.

also the fact that your just a kid far away from the actual battle makes some of the tension go away for me. especially since the grineer or corpus have an almost unlimited number of troops. Yes I know the tenno are putting a stop to their plans but it honestly feels pointless sometimes.

1 minute ago, Agentcheese said:

I used to like the lore. but then when I found out what the tenno really were I mostly stopped caring.

I always thought you were some sort of sentient green goo that was able to think on its own. Or a being of pure energy.

either way I thought you switching warframe's was you basically switching armor sets.

And I wish it was that. I don't like being a kid controlling everything or the fact that the warframe is alive and has a mind of its own. it feels a bit wrong to be mind controlling something even if it is infested.

also the fact that your just a kid far away from the actual battle makes some of the tension go away for me. especially since the grineer or corpus have an almost unlimited number of troops. Yes I know the tenno are putting a stop to their plans but it honestly feels pointless sometimes.

You are switching armor sets.