Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[OOC/Recruiting] Siren's Call

SpaceHelicopters

1 hour ago, vodkacrepper said:

"They expected us, they expected all of us!"

"SEND IN THE FORCES OF THE TEMPLE ZED ZION!"

"THEY F*CKED OFF BEFORE THE BATTLE EVEN STARTED!!!!"

god I loved that episode...

here it is for anyone who hasn't seen it yet - do yourself a favour.

Edited by Locky122

Oh, the joys of Pen/Paper RPGs. There's a small local convention  (Like, this year it was in a basement of a church.) entirely devoted to things like D&D, Magic: The Gathering, Pathfinder, etc.

Long story short, I spent 8 hours straight playing an XCOM version of the Savage Worlds system, and I ate half a pizza (They sold them by the quarter), drank 3 cups of coffee, two cans of sprite, had a hot dog, and a fewmuffins.

I got every food group there! Super healthy!

Of course, the campaign itself was pretty ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Daakjenaar said:

Oh, the joys of Pen/Paper RPGs. There's a small local convention  (Like, this year it was in a basement of a church.) entirely devoted to things like D&D, Magic: The Gathering, Pathfinder, etc.

Long story short, I spent 8 hours straight playing an XCOM version of the Savage Worlds system, and I ate half a pizza (They sold them by the quarter), drank 3 cups of coffee, two cans of sprite, had a hot dog, and a fewmuffins.

I got every food group there! Super healthy!

Of course, the campaign itself was pretty ridiculous.

After lurking on the DnD Subreddit for some time now, I have cultivated an interest in playing such tabletop games - They sound like great fun, for both role-playing and typical head-smashing-action.

Which brings me to pose a question for everyone - If you don't mind me asking.

If you were to play a tabletop game of any setting, in the veins of DnD or what have you - What character concepts do you have and/or want to play?

I'll throw out some tinder to start the fire then, pleasehavemercyformysh!ttycharacters

Concept 1 - Blatant Self-Insert - A human cleric who will focus on providing as much healing as reasonably possible - Lawful Good - If there is a god that is about providing care & promoting good-will, then the Cleric will follow said god - But if not and the GM permits, will claim to be a worshipper of one such goddess.
But spoiler - Said Goddess is in-fact an eldritch abomination from outside the normal confines of space-time who's existence is sustained by entropy/whatever-DM-rules
but Spoiler-Warudo again, said Eldritch-Abomination is indeed good-aligned, and willing to share its power to propagate good. After untold eons alone in the void, it was accidentally discovered by the cleric - After a minor hiccup in first-contact, a rapport was formed between the two and a covenant was formed. And so the young man became the First Cleric of this being.

Presumably, power of miracles will grow stronger as the being is beckoned closer to the material plane. The motive is simple - Propagate good, and in theory good will propagate itself.
The Cleric finds the worlds natural inclination towards evils of any sort a tragic truth of the world - A sentiment formed in his youth after witnessing a wasp paralyze a spider and drag it into a burrow as food for its young. The only thing more tragic is how its easier to deaden the heart and mind to the suffering of others than it is to remain sensitive to their needs and feelings. The Cleric seeks to at least try to correct that - even if at least it means one or two people will say hello in the morning more often.

Concept 2 - White Dragonborn Barbarian - Keeps to themselves and has death-seeker behavior, this Dragonborn has some loose-ends he's trying to tie up & fix. I won't go into details, but this isn't a character to just use-from-the-get go. Has a potentially controversial background responsible for his current alignment. Won't go into too specific details here.

Said character, though neutral-neutral now, was previously Lawful-Evil. As the game progresses, leans towards Good.
Was first-born to a noble family with high standing in the fighting guild of the setting - Groomed to be the heir of the family titles, but something went very awry in the process, and was for a period of time nothing more than a hedonistic brute, albeit a competent one.
Final nail in the coffin for his family was when he decided to simply leave and strike out on his own. At some point in the line, he suffered a revelation and disappeared from the mainland - leaving for the outskirts of the continent.
Roughly 5 years after this all, having served as a simple no-name woodsman, has set out to right his wrongs. Whatever it was, it has shattered his families reputation, and is as-of-yet unaware that his father and brothers have set out to collect a blood-debt.

Concept 3 - Druid or Life-Paladin Warforged(?) - An ancient artificial intelligence that has only recently re-awoken, this AI has set about his path of improving the quality of life for all - By bringing nature to heel, and bringing the new dawn of a synthetic age via blurring the line between Flesh & Steel, Natural & Artificial.
Once upon a time he was a colonial overseer, but a titanic conflict tore apart humanity and its hold on the stars, prompting this AI to gather as many as it could and making sure at least humanity even survived by fleeing into the darkness of space.
Due to previous experience as a colonial-management-unit overseeing a singular planet, he is entirely aware of things such as diseases, predators, genetic defects and in-general.
As a result, the AI detests the idea of nature running wild, as it means letting such atrocious predators of intelligent continue their vile acts. At the same time, however - finds the rest of nature beautiful, and seeks to control, preserve and eventually - improve it.
At both instants, C.A.I Memories of Green is an example of humanities technological progress, and a reminder of a glory long-lost to the ages.
Alignment is Neutral-Good.

Concept 4 - Rouge/Smuggler B1 Battle-Droid - A Chaotic Good Robin Hood - TR7-45D, through a combination of good luck and some manner of common sense, has managed to survive into the time of the Galactic Empire. Whilst a supporter of the Rebellion, he isn't exactly too interested in joining the cause proper - He's quite happy to strike out on his own - whether that means bringing outlaws in, or by seizing the means of production Redistribution of wealth from the more fortunate to the less, or just hiding not-so-legal packages in places obscure.
Wields an assortment of non-lethal weapons, minor-rule - Cannot level strength - Presumably, no one builds B1 components anymore, so TR7 must scavenge them where he can, and it would be prohibitively more expensive just to get slightly stronger servomotors built - To this end, TR7-45D has learned to work better with what he has.

Well, if anyone wants to criticize or call me out on an error or a dozen, feel free to do so - I am le sh!tty writer and can always utilize some improvement.

12 hours ago, InfiniumV said:

If you were to play a tabletop game of any setting, in the veins of DnD or what have you - What character concepts do you have and/or want to play?

I typically run my Pious Dwarf Cleric. Chaotic Good (as he believes everyone should be completely free to serve others/society as they see fit), with an emphasis on Dexterity over Strength for crossbow usage. (I managed to get a +4 Quickloading Repeating Heavy Crossbow. It was a lot of fun.)

If it is set in an age with computers/robots/any other technological advancements, I typically run my Technomancer build. It's basically a power armor/exoskeleton/implants augmented engineer/programmer/scientist combo (with stealth too, if the DM will let me multitask that much). I just have to adapt it to the specific settings of the given game.

Those are my two main characters.

EDIT: I almost forgot my favorite character I ever played.

It was a Star Wars RPG, and the DM let me be an Iron Knight that had been placed inside an HK-51 body. Good times, good times.

Edited by -AoN-CanoLathra-

13 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

I typically run my Pious Dwarf Cleric. Chaotic Good (as he believes everyone should be completely free to serve others/society as they see fit), with an emphasis on Dexterity over Strength for crossbow usage. (I managed to get a +4 Quickloading Repeating Heavy Crossbow. It was a lot of fun.)

If it is set in an age with computers/robots/any other technological advancements, I typically run my Technomancer build. It's basically a power armor/exoskeleton/implants augmented engineer/programmer/scientist combo (with stealth too, if the DM will let me multitask that much). I just have to adapt it to the specific settings of the given game.

Those are my two main characters.

EDIT: I almost forgot my favorite character I ever played.

It was a Star Wars RPG, and the DM let me be an Iron Knight that had been placed inside an HK-51 body. Good times, good times.

My all-time favorite character was my chaotic-neutral Tiefling Beastbrood Sorcerer with acid-based powers I made in Pathfinder (I named him Fumblemore). Long story short, every spell he cast could be made acid-based; which meant acid snowballs, acid burning hands, etc.. That was way too much fun. The best part was that, as a Tiefling, he had access to natural weapons, claws in my case. During one battle, a goblin closed in, and instead of just dying like most wizards/sorcerers, he ripped the goblin's throat out when I rolled two crits.

During the convention this weekend, one of the best moments in any campaign I've played ever. My character blundered a roll to resist panic, and had a heart attack. Moments later, I roll really high on a vigor  check to not die, high enough to stay conscious. Moments later, he survives a plasma volley to the face.

That was pretty intense.

14 hours ago, InfiniumV said:

After lurking on the DnD Subreddit for some time now, I have cultivated an interest in playing such tabletop games - They sound like great fun, for both role-playing and typical head-smashing-action.

I'll throw out some tinder to start the fire then, pleasehavemercyformysh!ttycharacters

Reveal hidden contents

Concept 1 - Blatant Self-Insert - A human cleric who will focus on providing as much healing as reasonably possible - Lawful Good - If there is a god that is about providing care & promoting good-will, then the Cleric will follow said god - But if not and the GM permits, will claim to be a worshipper of one such goddess.
But spoiler - Said Goddess is in-fact an eldritch abomination from outside the normal confines of space-time who's existence is sustained by entropy/whatever-DM-rules
but Spoiler-Warudo again, said Eldritch-Abomination is indeed good-aligned, and willing to share its power to propagate good. After untold eons alone in the void, it was accidentally discovered by the cleric - After a minor hiccup in first-contact, a rapport was formed between the two and a covenant was formed. And so the young man became the First Cleric of this being.

Presumably, power of miracles will grow stronger as the being is beckoned closer to the material plane. The motive is simple - Propagate good, and in theory good will propagate itself.
The Cleric finds the worlds natural inclination towards evils of any sort a tragic truth of the world - A sentiment formed in his youth after witnessing a wasp paralyze a spider and drag it into a burrow as food for its young. The only thing more tragic is how its easier to deaden the heart and mind to the suffering of others than it is to remain sensitive to their needs and feelings. The Cleric seeks to at least try to correct that - even if at least it means one or two people will say hello in the morning more often.

Concept 2 - White Dragonborn Barbarian - Keeps to themselves and has death-seeker behavior, this Dragonborn has some loose-ends he's trying to tie up & fix. I won't go into details, but this isn't a character to just use-from-the-get go. Has a potentially controversial background responsible for his current alignment. Won't go into too specific details here.

Said character, though neutral-neutral now, was previously Lawful-Evil. As the game progresses, leans towards Good.
Was first-born to a noble family with high standing in the fighting guild of the setting - Groomed to be the heir of the family titles, but something went very awry in the process, and was for a period of time nothing more than a hedonistic brute, albeit a competent one.
Final nail in the coffin for his family was when he decided to simply leave and strike out on his own. At some point in the line, he suffered a revelation and disappeared from the mainland - leaving for the outskirts of the continent.
Roughly 5 years after this all, having served as a simple no-name woodsman, has set out to right his wrongs. Whatever it was, it has shattered his families reputation, and is as-of-yet unaware that his father and brothers have set out to collect a blood-debt.

Concept 3 - Druid or Life-Paladin Warforged(?) - An ancient artificial intelligence that has only recently re-awoken, this AI has set about his path of improving the quality of life for all - By bringing nature to heel, and bringing the new dawn of a synthetic age via blurring the line between Flesh & Steel, Natural & Artificial.
Once upon a time he was a colonial overseer, but a titanic conflict tore apart humanity and its hold on the stars, prompting this AI to gather as many as it could and making sure at least humanity even survived by fleeing into the darkness of space.
Due to previous experience as a colonial-management-unit overseeing a singular planet, he is entirely aware of things such as diseases, predators, genetic defects and in-general.
As a result, the AI detests the idea of nature running wild, as it means letting such atrocious predators of intelligent continue their vile acts. At the same time, however - finds the rest of nature beautiful, and seeks to control, preserve and eventually - improve it.
At both instants, C.A.I Memories of Green is an example of humanities technological progress, and a reminder of a glory long-lost to the ages.

Concept 4 - Rouge/Smuggler B1 Battle-Droid - A Chaotic Good Robin Hood - TR7-45D, through a combination of good luck and some manner of common sense, has managed to survive into the time of the Galactic Empire. Whilst a supporter of the Rebellion, he isn't exactly too interested in joining the cause proper - He's quite happy to strike out on his own - whether that means bringing outlaws in, or by seizing the means of production Redistribution of wealth from the more fortunate to the less, or just hiding not-so-legal packages in places obscure.
Wields an assortment of non-lethal weapons, minor-rule - Cannot level strength - Presumably, no one builds B1 components anymore, so TR7 must scavenge them where he can, and it would be prohibitively more expensive just to get slightly stronger servomotors built - To this end, TR7-45D has learned to work better with what he has.

Well, if anyone wants to criticize or call me out on an error or a dozen, feel free to do so - I am le sh!tty writer and can always utilize some improvement.

Ooo~ Spacey enjoys this query! 50 Good Boy Points to @InfiniumV! Seek @IceDragonofAmber for prize redemption. 

In my many years of Role Play, I have accrued all manner of persona and facade that span across multiple table top systems. Though I wouldn't bore you with my full roster, I'd be happy to cherry-pick a few of my personal favorites.

D&D

• Nissa 'Smiles' Garrick - Cheeky and playful Rock Gnome Bard plagued by nightmares birthed from cowardly actions taken in her past. Beneath her renowned smile and sarcastic banter lies a deep-seated self-loathing and depression that fuels her comedy; playing the fool in the hopes of duping not only others, but herself so that she might find some fleeting reprieve from the darkness that poisons her mind. A very rich and deeply emotional character with wonderful potential for inter-connected character development.
  • Shis'vera Vulpi - Cryptic and mischievous Shifter Monk/Druid. Messenger of the Raven Queen, her task is that of witness to those who forge dealings with her immortal mistress of the afterlife; ensuring that they actively work to satisfy their contractual obligations, and if necessary, serve as reclaimer to those who forfeit their deal. Eccentric and prone to speaking in poetry or metaphor, her life is sworn to her eternal matriarch of the night; any slight against her domain is one punishable by death. Also possesses a bizarre sense of humor - not quite dark, but difficult to understand or rationalize. Middle sister of three. Just a fun persona, plain and simple.
  • 'Shade' - Cute and klutzy Changeling Assassin/Bard. Has spent the majority of her teens and adult life seeking out her birth parents to little avail in the hopes of finding closure. Hates being other people, but is afraid of getting caught in her actual form. Master of mobility and information gathering thanks to her training in tumbling and social subterfuge. Not too complex a character; good for more casual settings, but still bears the potential to become more than that in serious settings.

Call of Cthulu

• Serena 'Bloody' Rhodes - Right hand leg-breaker to the Don of the Brooklyn Mob. Brutish and abrasive, Serena knows her loyalties and has little room for more, so if you aren't with her, then best get your affairs in order because you're either going to be six feet under or sent to the ICU. Is also as mean in the kitchen as she is in the streets, so little nieces and nephews best brace themselves for a proper spoiling.

Rogue Trader

• Esalia Lorvan - Warp mutated Mechanicus of the Machine Cult of Trebor and absolute sweet-heart despite appearances. Extended exposure to warp radiation following an emergency jump without the Gellar field left her body ravaged; mutating her to hulking size and granting her unnatural strength even for her Adeptus Astartes dwarfing form. Could easily kill a normal man without any effort; not that she would, however, seeing as how she's probably more afraid of you than you are of her. Doesn't quite revere technology according to Cult Mechanicus doctrine, but the majority of her closest friends are comprised of machine spirits. Isn't too opposed to tech heresy, so long as the requisite machine spirits don't mind either.
  • Suude Aubray - Ex Botler B*tch following a spat with the Inquisition, the only reason she's alive is thanks to the intervention of some choice friends and familial honors. Simply a BAMF who's down to do pretty much anything and everything; especially if it sticks it to the Inquisition. Despite obvious friction with the Ecclesiarchy, is still a devout believer in the Emperor, albeit her own interpretation forged over her years of freelance work.

18 hours ago, InfiniumV said:

Reveal hidden contents

I find myself in the DM seat more often then the player seat, but I did have this one character I enjoyed quite a bit for a dnd oneshot

His name was Melmtoe, a one man band peasant bard. When i went to roll stats I rolled a 3, so naturally I gave him 3 intelligence. He couldn't read, could barely talk, and mostly communicated through his instruments. It was a hell of a time and at one point got to counter spell a level 9 spell with a sad note given below.:

One character concept I've been wanting to try for dnd is chaotic good melee focused warlock bounty hunter reverent. Basically he was brought back to life by the raven queen to hunt down people who have escaped death. Doesn't remember much about his life and unbeknownst to him its been a couple hundred years since he died. Wants to find out who he was and how he might be able to find rest, but in the meantime doesn't mind hunting down a couple jerkbag necromancers and liches.

18 hours ago, InfiniumV said:

Reveal hidden contents

I've always made a character that breaks convention in some shape/way/form that often utilizes high strength to some degree.

In your run of the mill DnD table-top I have often fancied the Barbarian class, and as such have gotten away with absurd strength rolls to get my way in a setup. Except in the case of Ragnar Ragnarson, son of Ragnar Bjornson, son of Bjorn Olafson who ended up a Wizard-Barbarian. He was the only one in the party that could pass Arcana checks, and as such became a Wizard but believed it to be the power of his Ancestors guiding him. Once our party found some ancient druid staff that could revive a forest but took a lot of competence to wield for the magically inclined. Ragnar then proceeded to make beer for himself with it and offered it to his companions. I miss him greatly.

In the Warhammer 40K setting, performing such feets was more difficult given the hyper lethal system that is Warhammer 40K but I've gotten away with more than I should have before.

In Rogue Trader, I made a Seneschal called Skaldur who had high commerce and decent stealth. When we were getting our early requisitions, I jokingly asked the DM if I could requisition a Bloodthirster as a personal companion, he jokingly agreed to it so long as I rolled a one. After rolling the one we compromised and it was instead a Khorne  Berserker who had changed their ways named Jim. Jim was a very special man and saved Skaldur on many an occasion.  After a few sessions, Skaldur was being sentenced by the Rogue Trader and some other of the crew members after they found out he was possessed by and had dealings with a chaos tainted book (Long story) in which they ruled for his execution. Jim, not taking to kindly to this, proceeded to rescue Skaldur from the ship after cutting our Rogue Trader in half, killing him. Hands down the best roll I have ever made was Jim. 

3 minutes ago, IrishHades1798 said:

In Rogue Trader, I made a Seneschal called Skaldur who had high commerce and decent stealth. When we were getting our early requisitions, I jokingly asked the DM if I could requisition a Bloodthirster as a personal companion, he jokingly agreed to it so long as I rolled a one. After rolling the one we compromised and it was instead a Khorne  Berserker who had changed their ways named Jim. Jim was a very special man and saved Skaldur on many an occasion.  After a few sessions, Skaldur was being sentenced by the Rogue Trader and some other of the crew members after they found out he was possessed by and had dealings with a chaos tainted book (Long story) in which they ruled for his execution. Jim, not taking to kindly to this, proceeded to rescue Skaldur from the ship after cutting our Rogue Trader in half, killing him. Hands down the best roll I have ever made was Jim. 

Can confirm, am DM, and Hades certainly tries to get away was some serious BS pretty much every session. Sometimes it works.....sometimes not so much.

Edited by GrimLandon

My second favorite Pathfinder character of all time was Brick Astley the Oread Opportunist Fighter. Basically, he had stone armor (Which we assumed was like wearing his own specie's flesh), a greatsword, and bombs. Yep, he had explosives.

Since the campaign he was involved in was a weird time travel scenario similar to Samurai Jack, we had standard fantasy  technology in the (super weird) future. I quickly used his low wisdom stat (I had a high intelligence) to establish him as an idiot. He was arrested for trying to buy explosives illegally, tried to bribe someone to get explosives (He liked explosives) and did a multitude of other stupid things.

And yet I succeeded at every knowledge check by accident, which leads me to think he might have been autistic.

The closest I've ever gotten to a Pen & Paper character was when I played Silver Tower. I used a Necromancer that could summon Skeletons, but I didn't have the models so I used my spare human models instead. Over the course of two games I'd amassed a total of 5 items, and had made a total of 12 out of 13 4+ rolls not to lose them.

The result was a senile old man known as Uncle Terry and his two eternally abused helpers, that had such a lock on his pockets that even when he fell into a bottomless chasm where the concepts of space and time were mere suggestions, and consequently crawled himself out of that hole he hadn't lost a single item he's strapped to his robe.

Also @InfiniumV, with your accumulated total of 50 Good Boy Points you may choose to exchange for any of the following items.

• 10 Good Boy Points - (1) Crimson Lotus shoulder insignia (discarded)
  • 20 Good Boy Points - (1) Serving of Martian Oasis Jellyfish*
  • 30 Good Boy Points - (1) SpaceHelicopter's Action Figure™, featuring moveable blades and real action grip!
  • 50 Good Boy Points - (1) "I survived the Set Up and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" T-Shirt

Alternatively you can choose to store your points and, after earning another 50 Good Boy Points, trade in for your very own Limited Edition SpaceHelicopter's Wobbling Decorative Desk Fixture!

* Good Boy Points Incorporated, a registered trademark of SpaceHelicopters & Associates Ltd., is not liable for any damages incurred through consumption/use of this item, including but not limited to: Irritation of the skin, irritation of the mouth, taste bud inflammation, loss of taste, loss of smell, loss of all biological and/or mechanical sensory inputs, erratic bowel movements and severe public humiliation and/or embarrassment. Use only as instructed on the label, keep out of reach of children.

Hexer got the T-shirt and he didn't even get any Chicken Tendie Good Boy Points.

How?

He stole it. Duh.
He's sneaky when he wants to be. And has a 1.2 meter bit of blunt metal made from reactive living metal to enforce that sneakiness by knocking everyone unconscious the instant they round the corner.

Also, does anyone here have Heat Signature, AKA Space Ship Looting + Advanced Comprehensive Thinking + Mistake Management Theory 101? If so, what is the highlight of your larcenous/murderous/knocky unconscious with a hammer that sends people flying out windows to suffocate in space accidentallyious adventures?

Mine is alerting the entire ship to my position by accident and recreating the Lobby scene from the Matrix in less time than Keanu Reeves had.