Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Grenade (Tennade?)

.Genix.

The entire idea is for a simpler secondary for players to use for staggering enemies briefly and possibly knocking them down. I have really wanted a secondary that behaves in this manner while still being able to go back to my braton, scourge or arca plasmor. The more I have thought about it the more went into the idea and to top it all off, well it annoyed me every time I saw corpus or grineer plasma grenades being thrown at me.

Grineer and Corpus plasma grenades respectively

DZ5iCIk.png

picture provided via wikia http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Plasma_Grenade

(The following is subject to change and is open to ideas and constructive criticism)

Mastery Rank Required: 0 (Intended for new players and purchasable for 15,000 credits)

Slot: Secondary

Type: Thrown (Flies in an arc and while aiming it you can see the trajectory of the grenade)

Trigger: Charge (Intended to "cook" the grenade, if thrown too late will damage the player for 25 puncture damage and if held too long will damage the player for an additional 50 impact damage with a slash status effect)

Ammo: Pistol

Flight Speed: 30 m/s (Flight speed is increased by 50% at and beyond the halfway mark on a charged throw)

Noise Level: Alarming (the initial throw is silent but can alert nearby enemies much like how missed arrows can)

Fire Rate 1.0

Accuracy: 100 (Travels in the direction you throw it in but will bounce off of the environment)

Magazine Size: 1

Max Ammo: 10 rounds

Reload Time: 1.0

Total Damage: 75 (50 impact and 25 puncture) (Increased by 50% at the halfway mark on a charged throw)

Crit Chance: 2.5%

Crit Multiplier: 1.25x

Status Chance: 5%

Charge Time: 1.0

Radius: 5.0 (Grenades will explode on contact with enemies and otherwise have a 2.0 second fuse timer)

100% Blast status effect on enemies inside the first half of the explosion radius

Grenades are effected by mods like Fulmination, Lethal Momentum and Adhesive Blast.

Possibly a flash bang like non-charge alt fire that blinds and deafens for a couple seconds?

I don't personally have any art of my own to provide for the "nade" design but a google search has me leaning towards something like these which are button activated.

xKZY5xS.png

ZfDrCZh.png

24H2YN0.png

I also cant find a definitive source for these by any particular person or I'd provide it. (Not my images disclaimer dealio and are subject to removal)

6 minutes ago, zackraa said:

Trigger: Charge (Intended to "cook" the grenade, if thrown too late will damage the player for 25 puncture damage and if held too long will damage the player for an additional 50 impact damage with a slash status effect)

Shouldn't that be Blast damage?

Also I would persona;lly much preffer an EMP grenade.

2 minutes ago, AlphaPHENIX said:

I think OP means fragmentation grenade. When a frag grenade explodes, its shell crack into numerous of small fragments. These fragments are the ones that do actual damage to human rather than the explosion.

9 minutes ago, AlphaPHENIX said:

What if the grenades had augments that had an MR requirement like flash bang, emp (magnetic effect and electric stun)? Like the flash bang could be a lower MR and the emp would be higher. They would have to count as the same mod much like how conclave mods can conflict with each other.

1 minute ago, zackraa said:

DE has said a lot of things which can and have changed over time.

They've said it every time it has come up. The last time was a few months ago, and they said adding grenades isn't part of their vision for the game, and doesn't fit into the style.

3 minutes ago, PoisonHD said:

They've said it every time it has come up. The last time was a few months ago, and they said adding grenades isn't part of their vision for the game, and doesn't fit into the style.

I could accept that, or I can sit down and write a rather thorough concept that might change minds. :laugh:

General response:

Spoiler

How about, instead of having it as an actual sidearm (as we already have Talons, Castanas, and a few others), we could have Gear items?

Though that's not to say that Micro-Penta and Micro-Tonkor are out of the question; would be interested in them if the explosion part was linked to a charge mode (holding trigger with ammo in the clip launches the grenade, releasing causes explosion, meaning it won't explode on immediate impact).

The actual grenades should be slotted as gear items - and Grineer/Corpus infantry should drop an inert grenade at random. On a sidestepping note, we deserve to be able to make our own Grineer Blunts or Corpus deployable shield barriers.

The grenades dropped from enemies should be able to deal enough damage (using enemy stats to calculate damage) to kill any enemy infantry regardless of level or modifier at point-blank explosion.

This would open up a 'emergency grenades!' feature for typical scenarios like Sorties, without compromising Conclave.

Pre-posting-of-post remembering: I remembered about the Ramparts.

I believe we deserve to have the Rampart turret gun as a LMG (held like an Archwing primary, using those animations, modified for ground combat), and have a slight rework on a number of huge-clip weapons to make them viable again (such as the Gorgon machinegun series which has since become mastery fodder, due to enemy scaling).

Avenue A: Micro-grenade launchers (sidearm-sized, one-shot grenade launching pistols).

Spoiler

A modified version of a Penta and a Tonkor, designed to be compact and easy to use, for infantry who can't do decent throws, would exist with similar stats to their primary counterparts, except they only have one shot per clip, reload rather quickly, and the explosion isn't as big.

Visually:
Corpus: Amstrung with a mini-Penta clip and wider barrel.
Grineer: Reconfigured Brakk with a wider barrel.

Stats:
Both would have stats that would befit a miniature version of their primary counterparts, serving as the 'Aksomati to the Soma'.

This introduces two more explosive weapons, one for Grineer and Corpus respectively as a result, and would inevitably persuade the Tenno to design their own explosive launchers.

Avenue B: Pickup or gear-pickup grenades.

Spoiler

The grenades enemies have always used become limited on the enemies themselves; killing them before they expend their supply would drop a random number of inert explosives, which can be carried in the gear wheel.

These explosives can and will kill you if improperly used.

These explosives use the Speargun Throw, and some single-target power cast animations.

Explosives damage scales with enemy stats to a degree that allows them to clear out a bunch of tough enemies if they bunch up tightly.

DE said they weren't going to add explosives - such as grenades, but we have:
Grineer/Corpus grenade launchers, sidearm rocket launchers, Vauban's knockback/down/stun grenade, Talons (technically grenades that latch to targets), Castanas, Zarr (projectile from Zarr could become a grenade), and numerous other weapons that have similar features. 

However, it is up to DE whether or not to put them as 'power weapons' in Conclave.

1 hour ago, PoisonHD said:

DE has said that they will never add grenades to Warframe.

They won't add grenades to the game (hint: they're already in the game. Everyone but us can use them), but they'll add fishing, mining, and dancing. smh.

1 hour ago, PoisonHD said:

But dancing, fishing, mining, and the most popular game mode in the world - Lunaro - fit the style of the game and the vision of the game (which is what, exactly?)...

Maybe certain people have never actually played shooters before, but grenades fit the genre. Maybe if DE would spend less time trying to throw non-shooter-related stuff into the game, and more time drawing inspiration from the actual genre they're in (third person action shooter), we'd have less Lunaros in the game.

Oh, and by the way, DE also said that open world didn't fit in the game, and look where we are now. Just because DE says something, it doesn't actually make it right or true. Open world fits more than Lunaro. Grenades fit more than fishing or mining or dancing. You don't need to defend what DE says just because they say it. You can critically address what they say. You don't have to blindly follow.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

Wouldn't mind something like this, actually.

Just as a little brainstorming here:

Keep it as a secondary weapon. However, instead of making it an equipped weapon when tapping the weaponswitch button, why not making it so when you tap the weaponswitch button it simply threw the grenade right away?
With that mechanic, due to the inability to equip it (and thus inability to "cook" it too), you'd need to be able to see its amount of ammo at all times though.
Just a thought to make it really feel like a grenade.

Also, 75 damage? That sounds REALLY low, no? I'd increase that a whole bunch, but I'd also further do a few more things, to make it feel more versatile:
Make it an elemental grenade, along with being "chromatic" (meaning, the energy colour affects its base element). Then, MASSIVELY increase its status-chance (like, at least 50% at base).
This way, it becomes a grenade which would let you specialize in whatever way you like it:

• Damage/Debuff-oriented grenade with Gas, Viral, Toxic, Magnetic or Corrosive
  • CC+Damage-oriented grenade with Electric or Heat
  • CC grenade of various kinds with Cold, Radiation, Blast

1 hour ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

But dancing, fishing, mining, and the most popular game mode in the world - Lunaro - fit the style of the game and the vision of the game (which is what, exactly?)...

Maybe certain people have never actually played shooters before, but grenades fit the genre. Maybe if DE would spend less time trying to throw non-shooter-related stuff into the game, and more time drawing inspiration from the actual genre they're in (third person action shooter), we'd have less Lunaros in the game.

Grenades don't fit the combat vision for the game. I should've corrected myself. The original post if I remember right, say that grenades are reminiscent of a cover based shooter, which Warframe isn't. I can't really argue about open world though.

1 hour ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

You don't need to defend what DE says just because they say it. You can critically address what they say. You don't have to blindly follow.

I'm not, I personally don't think grenades would fit in the game at all, and don't want them in the slightest. Imagining throwing grenades around in Warframe makes me shudder.

Edited by PoisonHD

12 minutes ago, PoisonHD said:

Grenades don't fit the combat vision for the game. I should've corrected myself. The original post if I remember right, say that grenades are reminiscent of a cover based shooter, which Warframe isn't. I can't really argue about open world though.

I'm not, I personally don't think grenades would fit in the game at all, and don't want them in the slightest. Imagining throwing grenades around in Warframe makes me shudder.

If anyone thinks grenades are reminiscent of a cover shooter, then that person simply has never played a shooter before. That is an asinine notion.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

19 minutes ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

If anyone thinks grenades are reminiscent of a cover shooter, then that person simply has never played a shooter before. That is an asinine notion.

Well, the only games I have personally ever liked grenades in is the Uncharted series, and those are basically cover based shooters. In anything else I just hate them with a passion. So I can see why others could think that as well :P

Well keep in mind we have to seperate grenades as quick use items, as they appear in many modern shooters and grenades as multi-step weapons you have to equip first to use them, as in some old fashioned shooters.

I'm under the impression that DE was strictly against the former. As in press button G and your character throws a grenade from nowhere while still holding the same weapon. Since as they said, that would essentialy be what our Warframe powers are allready for. It's fine for enemies like Grineer and Corpus to throw them, because they are essentialy a special power for Lancers and Crewmen.

However in older shooters like Half Life or the original Call of Duty, you had to switch to the grenades, prime them before you could throw them.

Now these might not be entirely off the table and could work as secondaries. As suggested in this thread. After all the primaries have grenade launchers by now, so why not hand thrown grenades as secondaries with similar limitation?

Now the true wall for this idea might be that DE could find grenade secondaries to be too mundane. Meaning if you want grenade secondaries they need to be more than just small cylinders of explosive. So no to simply being able to use plasma grenades of Grineer and Corpus.

For example a grenade that is shaped, thrown and bounces like a football (the american type, not the international "soccer" type) or resembles a Bola might pass.