Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why PoE isnt actualy open world

-HoB-KurtOn

My opinion<<<<<<

Why i think this? Well whats the point of having the whole world of Eidolon only to be used by 4 people? (when it queues for squad), shouldnt it be like all of the players that are in the city etc, to be able to come out at the same time and do their missions? The squad idea is good, but only 4 ppl is not good, instead there should be a limited amount of squads to be able to enter one instance of Eidolon (for example 20 squads), and all to the different missions they opted for..I mean this is kinda stupid, like wheres the fun in seeing only 3 of ur squad mates?

Sorry for my bad english, i hope you get the point..

1 minute ago, -HoB-KurtOn said:

My opinion<<<<<<

Why i think this? Well whats the point of having the whole world of Eidolon only to be used by 4 people? (when it queues for squad), shouldnt it be like all of the players that are in the city etc, to be able to come out at the same time and do their missions? The squad idea is good, but only 4 ppl is not good, instead there should be a limited amount of squads to be able to enter one instance of Eidolon (for example 20 squads), and all to the different missions they opted for..I mean this is kinda stupid, like wheres the fun in seeing only 3 of ur squad mates?

There's this thing called "PC Performance" ^^ also having multiple "god beings" on the plains would plow through enemies instantly... which is not fun... never...

Just now, weirdichigo said:

There's this thing called "PC Performance" ^^ also having multiple "god beings" on the plains would plow through enemies instantly... which is not fun... never...

First of all, PC perfomance only may have an impact if those 20 squads came together and done stuff, second of all, guess u didnt read the part where i said they do the missions they opted for?

3 minutes ago, -HoB-KurtOn said:

Well whats the point of having the whole world of Eidolon only to be used by 4 people? (when it queues for squad), shouldnt it be like all of the players that are in the city etc, to be able to come out at t

I would assume performance issues. I would be much happier with an 8 person squad. I don’t think we need 50 people in the Plains. I feel like that would not be possible with player hosted servers. Also, most things would become (more) trivial than they already are.

1 minute ago, krc473 said:

I would assume performance issues. I would be much happier with an 8 person squad. I don’t think we need 50 people in the Plains. I feel like that would not be possible with player hosted servers. Also, most things would become (more) trivial than they already are.

Ah..The game that is played by dosens of milions of people, where instances are hosted by players, and not their own servers.....

10 minutes ago, -HoB-KurtOn said:

My opinion<<<<<<

God, please, no. I want to play the whole thing alone. I don't want elitist players on my way.

Just now, -HoB-KurtOn said:

Ah..The game that is played by dosens of milions of people, where instances are hosted by players, and not their own servers.....

Yes. Player hosting may or may not be a problem. Currently it looks like just relays/dojos/Cetus are server hosted.

All missions,including plains, are player hosted. I don’t know how anyone’s PC would cope with 50npeople running are und doing different things across the plains.

Server hosting could fix this. But it may not be possible/economically viable for DE to do at this stage.

At OP: Why the clickbait title? Seriously, you act as if your opinion is a fact.

Also, keep engine limitations in mind. Just because "others can do it", it doesn't mean that Warframe is automatically capable of doing such things. After all, most "other games that do this" have battle-hardened engines at work that were made for that exact scenario a great many years ago - The Evolution engine is still pretty young in comparison and only just made its first step in the "open world" direction. It's highly unlikely we'll get actual MMO gameplay anytime soon (and I'm glad that it won't happen - MMO's are plain arse pain).

15 minutes ago, -HoB-KurtOn said:

Warframe is an MMO.

Max player count in an instance is 50 players with limited interaction and no combat/core gameplay. Max player count in combat/core gameplay is 8.

=> hardly MMO-worthy

In fact, most online-shooters or other demanding games far surpass Warframe's player count. And they are never called MMOs.

5 minutes ago, Deraios said:

Max player count in an instance is 50 players with limited interaction and no combat/core gameplay. Max player count in combat/core gameplay is 8.

=> hardly MMO-worthy

In fact, most online-shooters or other demanding games far surpass Warframe's player count. And they are never called MMOs.

What we have here is mostly referred to as "instance based multiplayer". People choose dungeons and go in as 4-8 people groups.

It is not "massively multiplayer online" where 100+ people are on one huge map that can sustain their lust for killing XP and it never really was.

58 minutes ago, -HoB-KurtOn said:

My opinion<<<<<<

By this definition Skyrim and Fallout aren't open world because there's only one player roaming the world.

25 minutes ago, -HoB-KurtOn said:

Warframe is an MMO.

No it isnt, 4 people in a mission means that it does not qualify for Massively anything. I'll agree with one of the posters from above on the "Instance based multiplayer" description Tbh I wouldnt really even call the relays MMO elements, the numbers are still very limited, and who cares really if 50 people can all use the same shop interface at the same time?

One definition for Open World games is " games where a player can move freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in regard to how and when to approach objectives "

The Plains do that, they allow me to move around where I want, doing what I want, when I want, and if I fancy a change, a digression or if another task becomes available then I can change my mind at any time.  That makes it open world irrespective of how many players there are in it.

And I guess thats the point. MMO's are often Open World because you need the space and the number of tasks to keep that many players busy, but some single player/multiplayer games are too, Skyrim, Grand Theft Auto V and Witcher III for example. Whether a game is Open World or not has nothing to do with how many people are playing in it, its all about how the content is presented to the player.

Open world =/= hundreds of players.

Game series like The Elder Scrolls, Far Cry and Witcher are "open world" - they fall into that definition because you can go anywhere in their maps whenever you please as soon as you land in those maps. While some sections or maps are gated by story, this is the rarity and the games generally let you explore at your peril.

So actually, you are utterly wrong. Plains of Eidolon is a small-scale "open world" map where you can go wherever you please in it and you can go to it as soon as you like. You can be on a Rank 0 frame and still run to the far edges of the map with level 35+ enemies and the game won't tell you or warn you that the enemies are starting to outgun you. Enemy squads spawn in throughout the zone at random, missions spawn in various locations and have various mission types. it's not large scale open world - this isn't a Witcher 3 sized sort of map - but considering the entirety of Warframe until now has been a procedurally generated tileset based game, it's still a huge change in direction.

Your complaint isn't that the game isn't open world. Your complaint is that the game isn't an MMO. 

And I have news for you: it isn't meant to be. You're in the wrong game if you want MMO-style gameplay in open world maps. And you aren't using your terminology properly either, because Plains of Eidolon is definitely open world, however small compared to other titles that fall in the same genre for their maps.

I honestly thought POE would be like how Patrol on Destiny works. You get to see up to 8 people in an area without actually having to matchmake with them. If a player happens to be in the same area as you, you can see and play with them. That's how I wanted POE to work.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)MaKTaiL said:

I honestly thought POE would be like how Patrol on Destiny works. You get to see up to 8 people in an area without actually having to matchmake with them. If a player happens to be in the same area as you, you can see and play with them. That's how I wanted POE to work.

Then you're playing the wrong game.

Warframe has never behaved like this and they said several times before release that PoE was never going to work like that. I remember clearly in a dev stream that Scott explicitly stated they are not changing how Warframe behaves in terms of gameplay - you still need a squad if you want to see people on the Plains. The fact you wanted it to work differently doesn't change the fact that DE made it abundantly clear what your expectations should have been by directly telling you how it was going to be.

Which is another reason this topic is stupid, honestly. DE already told people how Plains of Eidolon was going to work when it came to squads and parties, and DE already said they have no intentions of changing their set up. What they did want to do was try new open-world style maps instead of add yet more generated tile-based corridors.

56 minutes ago, Hellfire81 said:

Everything is called MMO these days.

People forgott what a real MMO is ...

Its not a MMO just because you got a chat and some hubs where you can see more than 3 other player.

MMO and open world are also two different worlds.

I'd call warframe a quasi-MMO

4 hours ago, ShikiRen said:

Warframe is a Co-op shooter with MMO elements (trading, hubs). Also Guild Wars 1 also is an MMO with only parties in the open world maps and masses of players limited to hubs.

It's also worth noting that ArenaNet went out of its way to never call Guild Wars 1 an MMORPG.  They always referred to it as a Cooperative Online Role Playing Game.

14 hours ago, -HoB-KurtOn said:

My opinion<<<<<<

To avoid the scaling server cost aka more profit.

You won't have seamless crowded hub-hunting ground transition because it's such a hassle to pull off and it's against DE's financial policy.

Edited by Volinus7

3 hours ago, DALOS said:

I'd call warframe a quasi-MMO

5 hours ago, Airyllish said:

My opinion<<<<<<

DE doesn’t even advertise Warframe as an MMO.

“Warframe is a cooperative free-to-play third person online action game set in an evolving sci-fi world.” Cut from steam page.