The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Memory: Closing the mastery gap without compromising exclusivity or breaking promises

Callback

2 minutes ago, JuicyPop said:

It's just a natural conclusion. It's a ticking time bomb issue that needs to be dealt with before it blows up in their face as casual interest, the lifeblood of any f2p, in the game dies off. 

of all the time bombs, a couple weapons locked behind a stupid gate (that I'm against btw - just don't care), is the least of whats going to make this blow up in their face.

casual interest will die off - its inevitable.  Hardcore veterans who play everyday will get burnt out or find a life.  

On a side note, I once encouraged my friends to play because it had a little of everything - action, spy, collector, fashion.  Now I don't because it has too much - too much grind.  And not too much grind for any one thing - but collectively, for the newer player, there is simply too much.  They see what I have, and are like "How do I get that" and after I tell them all the hoops, they already say forget it. And thats BEFORE PoE, and any not counting any login day rewards or founder items (of which I have none)

how about making mastery actually useful? aside from e-peen enhancer its completely useless thing, only thing what mastery is showing, is how willing you are to farm mastery, all you need is rank 8 to unlock relays and max you can go for 14 so you have all weapons unlocked but most of them are trash anyway and 14 is only 1 weapon... and if you are unlucky you will get riven with bad MR

9 minutes ago, OrochiFuror said:

So... how far behind a 100% complete founder person is a 100% complete free to play person? I mean, does it matter? Isn't there a mastery rank cap regardless? The rewards for a single rank are rather low, unless you hit one for a free load out slot, I love those, even though several MR23+ guys in my group don't even use them so, to each their own. Unless it gets to the point where there's multiple MR difference, I think this is a non issue.

It's hard to understand the train of thought of someone who is obsessed with complitionism, unless you yourself are obsessed with completing everything 100%. That little bit of mastery rank that isn't available is like a thorn in your foot, except you can never remove the thorn. The more you play the game, the deeper the thorn gets, and the more it bothers you. Is that last bit of mastery rank important or required? No. But my god, it would feel so good to finally achieve that last dribble, and be able to say you are 100% ranked. 

15 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Tucker D Dawg said:

of all the time bombs, a couple weapons locked behind a stupid gate (that I'm against btw - just don't care), is the least of whats going to make this blow up in their face.

casual interest will die off - its inevitable.  Hardcore veterans who play everyday will get burnt out or find a life.  

On a side note, I once encouraged my friends to play because it had a little of everything - action, spy, collector, fashion.  Now I don't because it has too much - too much grind.  And not too much grind for any one thing - but collectively, for the newer player, there is simply too much.  They see what I have, and are like "How do I get that" and after I tell them all the hoops, they already say forget it. And thats BEFORE PoE, and any not counting any login day rewards or founder items (of which I have none)

It's not actual the weapons per se, it's the fact that the login system exists in the fashion that it does in the first place. It's not just a simple gate that can be overcome with effort and it's not static. In 2 years, if we even make if that far, the gate will be 4 years wide. In 2 more after that... you should get the point.

It's going to hit a critical point somewhere along the line and it will need to be dealt with among a community that is ever more heated than it is now. It's not ever going to get better. 

Edited by JuicyPop

51 minutes ago, Callback said:

This system is specifically for founder/beta lost items, and other lost items that are never to be released again.  It keeps mastery and items separate.  The items remain exclusive, as DE is bound to their word on that (As a founder I wouldn't mind Excal Prime being openly released but it's not up to me), but the mastery points previously locked behind them are freed to be shared by all Tenno.

Beta items have no exclusivity deal, so these may come back at any moment, as pointed in this thread. (It's been over a year since it was clarified, but hey! At least we can look forward to it happening)

51 minutes ago, Callback said:

And on a side note fixing the daily login system to allow catch-up on the weapons/mods (not sigils) would be nice too.

This note suddenly makes the post look like an attempt to find a way to get exclusives locked in the future without losing the exclusivity of those unobtainable because of being locked behind a foolish promise made in the past.

1 hour ago, Zahnny said:

I'm sure even something as small as that would upset many founders unfortunately.

Maybe, but whether it upsets them doesn't matter. They were promised unique items, not an arbitrary volume of Mastery.

Such a small amount of Mastery has only mattered a few times. Usually, if there is a gap in who can achieve the newest MR and who can't, it goes away in a matter of weeks (barring vaulted Primes, of course). However, this is a very fair compromise and brings an opportunity for more lore, so I see no reason to disagree.

38 minutes ago, OrochiFuror said:

So... how far behind a 100% complete founder person is a 100% complete free to play person? I mean, does it matter? Isn't there a mastery rank cap regardless? The rewards for a single rank are rather low, unless you hit one for a free load out slot, I love those, even though several MR23+ guys in my group don't even use them so, to each their own. Unless it gets to the point where there's multiple MR difference, I think this is a non issue.

There is no cap, no. Mod capacity only goes up to 30, true. And there are 29 test stations in the relay. But that number doesn't necessarily mean anything. They needed an arbitrary number, and MR30 is still 3-5 years away. Some players insist that DE intends to cap MR at 30 based on these two pieces of evidence, but it's only speculation. DE has never commented. There's no reason to cap MR for players who want trace/standing caps that high.

But no, the number is fairly inconsequential. Still, opportunity for lore. Can't say no to that.

Just have mastery hard cap at 30?

Then with the eventual additional warframes and weapons, we are bound to get in our ever-expanding arsenal... 

Then Everyone can mastery cap no matter what and still have warframes and weapons leftover to spare? 

I mean that seems like the simple solution to me.

6 hours ago, meristu said:

how about making mastery actually useful? aside from e-peen enhancer its completely useless thing, only thing what mastery is showing, is how willing you are to farm mastery, all you need is rank 8 to unlock relays and max you can go for 14 so you have all weapons unlocked but most of them are trash anyway and 14 is only 1 weapon... and if you are unlucky you will get riven with bad MR

well mr22 makes my weapon have 22/44 energy on lvl0 so it's not that useless. at least i can level weapons and be relatively useful at the same time

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 4:26 PM, (Xbox One)G R A V O C said:

It's hard to understand the train of thought of someone who is obsessed with complitionism, unless you yourself are obsessed with completing everything 100%. That little bit of mastery rank that isn't available is like a thorn in your foot, except you can never remove the thorn. The more you play the game, the deeper the thorn gets, and the more it bothers you. Is that last bit of mastery rank important or required? No. But my god, it would feel so good to finally achieve that last dribble, and be able to say you are 100% ranked. 

Indeed, but on the otherhand, how would you feel if you got a reward for doing something few other people did, like being a founder and then have that taken away from you when it's given out to everyone?

Wait, you can get that feeling by getting early access or pre-ordering modern Tah-ripple A games, as they love selling exclusives to everyone, "it's just good business".  ;-)    

(On my phone, else I'd link a clip where that quote is from for maximum meme effect.)

Interesting idea.

And since it was raised here, I wonder if it could be considered to have A Founder's Exclusive Armor, Sugatra and Skins along the lines of how Prime Access is setup.

That way Founders can get something new and really nice and it opens the possibility of looking at the items referred here in a new light?

9 hours ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

wonder if it could be considered to have A Founder's Exclusive Armor, Sugatra and Skins along the lines of how Prime Access is setup.

So... adding more exclusivity to a pack that hasn't been available for the last 4 years and has been the source of a lot of salt?

giphy.gif

At least give up on the exclusivity of the gear before requesting some founder cosmetic exclusives.

1 hour ago, ----Legacy---- said:

So... adding more exclusivity to a pack that hasn't been available for the last 4 years and has been the source of a lot of salt?

At least give up on the exclusivity of the gear before requesting some founder cosmetic exclusives.

The Why is simple and clear. Founders helped support the game at a key moment time.

The idea is to provide an update on their Founder's packages as a means to work with the exclusivity issues with their original packages and to honor their support, while also possibly opening up availability of the items in question. I hope to imagine, if Founder's Cosmetics is an idea that can work, that the issues with collecting items that provide Mastery is then cleared up in the process.

At any rate, strong opinions abound.

I think this is a non-issue. It's 12k mastery (for me 6k mastery.). Back before event weapons made returns I had come to terms that I would never have those things along with the lato and skana prime and just moved on, because in the long run and bigger picture, it doesn't matter much at all. The ones that give these exclusive items more value are the ones that put  them on a pedestal and make a big deal of them. I'll repeat myself from a previous thread, I am sure that if there is a max MR rank, DE would ensure that everyone could reach it.

Edited by nickelshark