Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Large fish should give more than 1 special material

Dornez

I actually agree with the OP on this, because its not like we see a liver or mutant tuna eyes hanging off of the finished products we are making. Does it make sense for a large murkray to have three livers? Not exactly, but if I am making bait out of the liver, I expect the large murkray to have a bigger liver, which turns into MORE BAIT at the very least. Unless we end up crafting something that has the fish product visually hanging off of it, I expect we are mostly using unique materials and chemical compounds that are present in those fish parts, in which case it is absolutely reasonable to expect the larger ones to provide more of the special material.

Perhaps large fish could give more of the material, just with the name of the material being modified to have (extract) on the end? As it is, its very awkward to sell fish that aren't murkrays at various sizes, and I end up having to sell cuthols at the same rate I sell murkrays if I want to sell anything besides my smalls, because while it makes sense to some to think, small for parts, big for rep, unless there is a BIG difference in the rep of rarer, which between most of the fish there is not, it becomes "Small are bought by other people, mediums are larges are for ME to break down and worthless in the market."

Perhaps I can structure this argument better, but I'm still drinking my morning coffee, having overslept.

11 minutes ago, Qwaar said:

I actually agree with the OP on this, because its not like we see a liver or mutant tuna eyes hanging off of the finished products we are making. Does it make sense for a large murkray to have three livers? Not exactly, but if I am making bait out of the liver, I expect the large murkray to have a bigger liver, which turns into MORE BAIT at the very least. Unless we end up crafting something that has the fish product visually hanging off of it, I expect we are mostly using unique materials and chemical compounds that are present in those fish parts, in which case it is absolutely reasonable to expect the larger ones to provide more of the special material.

Perhaps large fish could give more of the material, just with the name of the material being modified to have (extract) on the end? As it is, its very awkward to sell fish that aren't murkrays at various sizes, and I end up having to sell cuthols at the same rate I sell murkrays if I want to sell anything besides my smalls, because while it makes sense to some to think, small for parts, big for rep, unless there is a BIG difference in the rep of rarer, which between most of the fish there is not, it becomes "Small are bought by other people, mediums are larges are for ME to break down and worthless in the market."

Perhaps I can structure this argument better, but I'm still drinking my morning coffee, having overslept.

Has science gone too far ? xD 

Mawfish - It would be reasonable that bigger fish = more/bigger bones

Charc Eel - It's not mentioned if this is one specific organ or not, so I'll assume it is and say it's not really possible.

Khut-Khut - Same as Charc.

Yogwun - Why would larger fish have more stomachs?

Mortus Lungfish - You can clearly see they only have one horn.

Goopolla - Same as Yogwun, except...spleens.

Tralok - Same as Goopolla and Yogwun, except...eyes.

Shaarac - Like the Mawfish, I can see how the bigger fish may have more teeth.

Karkina - They visibly have 2 antenna, so really they should all be giving you 2 antenna.

Murkrays - Same multiple organ idea.

Norg - I mean...what creature that has ever existed has more than 1 neuron-composed brain? Seriously...

Cuthol - You can see they have a lot more than 1 tendril, so this makes sense.

Glappid - Well, they only have 1 Beetle on their heads, so...

I still hold we should be getting more special material out of larger fish, since even if its still only one liver, or one pair of eyes (even though that particular fish actually has six eyes), the parts should be large, as they are coming out of a larger fish, and therefore there should be more material to those larger organs. 

Still think fish parts should have been 'weight based', currently they have weights for no reason.  More weight would equal more of each part which would in turn mean large fish give more.   Sadly I doubt this would work because they've got things which are generally 'singular' (or pairs) in nature. 

At the present minute it is basically just use the small fish for most things and then the rest can go for standing as said above. 

Depending on how the part is used its perfectly reasonable to get more out of a larger fish.  For instance if you're using the stomach as a leather rather than a bag; or if the liver/brain/spleen is powdered or turned to a paste a larger organ produces more of the finished product.  

I personally don't know that I really, well, care about this either way.  Larger fish are just rareer, not any more chanlenging to yank out of the water.  Changing the amount of special parts just changes the break-even point between harvesting for materials and disolving for standing.  Its just a economy system, not terribly compelling now, not any more so changed like this.  

Instead of thinking of the components as individual components, think of them as weights. After all, we kill a Tralok, and we only get one eye? If we get 'three weights' of Cuthol tendrils from a large Cuthol, I won't be complaining.

Also hey, super quick fix. Make them Chunks, instead of components. Three chunks of Murkray liver from a large Murkray? Sounds feasible.

1 hour ago, LSG501 said:

Well you could argue that the fish have sentient energy in them seeing as the water is 'linked' to the teralysts etc.

The point is just that you can't use the "it's all fantastic made up stuff anyway, so anything can be anything" excuse, because even fantastic things have their own internal logic, and even in a fantastic setting normal things are normal unless otherwise specified.