Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Technocyte Connection?

HavokDeathwalker

Disclaimer - This is simply a fan theory and not confirmed to be true. I simply considered this to be possible and thought I'd share it for general discussion. THIS MAY CONTAIN POTENTIAL SPOILERS. Please keep this calm and friendly.

Theory - A lot of players hope for the deluxe skins to be canon for Warframe and, thanks to The Silver Grove, we know that SOME (Feyarch, Knave, and Orphid) of them ARE INDEED so. My theory COULD be a potential way to bring the Nemesis and Proto-armor skins into canon as well as brings Dark Sector (the game) into canon as well.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to come up with this theory but, we know that both Warframe and Dark Sector utilize a form of Technocyte infestation. We also know that in Warframe's lore, the Orokin developed Technocyte as a weapon against Sentients but, where did the Orokin come up with the idea? Was it originally theirs? Or, was it inspired by something in Earth's past? What if, the Orokin stumbled across some ancient archives dating back to cold war times and discovered an account of the Technocyte humanity faced back then? If this were true, it would explain the discovery of the Proto-armor and Nemesis skins. I'd like to add that, the only hints at origins for these skins state that "Extensive scans of the Orokin record reveal nothing" - Nemesis Nyx and "Initial attempts at dating points to ancient origins, perhaps even predating the Orokin Empire". My theory, is that the wrong archives were scanned. Nothing was found about these skins because they weren't Orokin designs. They were merely INSPIRED by original designs from the Cold War.

Sure, all of this seems pretty obvious, like 2+2=4 (and again I'm sure I'm not the first one to consider this) but, DE has yet to shoot this down. I haven't heard ANYTHING denying the possible tie-in of Dark Sector to Warframe. That being said, I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts in the comments below. Again, PLEASE, keep this discussion friendly and constructive, not insensitive and negative.

DE have kept the connections vague, im not entirely sure but in a devstream they may have casually commented that the games are not related other than inspiration (and seminal concept), but they have hinted otherwise with skins and weapons (proto skins, glaive, lex). Until they clarify totally in one way or another think about those more as easter eggs (references to dark sector) than connections

Edited by GordoFreeman

Dark Sector and Warframe are two separate universes, this has been confirmed many times. They merely recycled a lot of ideas that didn't reach full fruition during Dark Sector. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Dark Sector IP is owned by the publisher, or at least was for the majority of the time that Warframe has been around.

The last I had seen, they HAVE NOT conclusively separated the two, there has been a lot of swaying back and forth on the subject. They just seem to be afraid to attach the two to give themselves creative liberties.

I like to think that it either takes place so far in the future that there's not a marginal amount of relevance to DS or that it takes place in an alternate universe. If someone can pull up where it is explicitly stated that they are 100% not connected, I would appreciate it because I rather enjoy the thought that DS is the origin of the Technocyte and Warframe technology. I'd like for the antagonist to show back up ON EARTH as a major fight in WF and maybe something to give us closure on what happened to Hayden.

Think of Warframe as a Parallel Universe to "Dark Sector".

This Universe Most likely Had or will Have a Hayden Tenno of it's own but, Not in the same Context like Time, Location, Alliances, Personality or even Name. (Him in this Reality could of been the Person who came up with calling them "Tenno")

P.s. I was Just About to Post this after i Wizzed... then that guy Above me Posted almost the same Thing.

Edited by Runeglyph

While both franchises suffered a Technocyte plague that ravaged the Earth, we have no evidence as to what happened in Sector's aftermath. Warframe shows us that Earth suffered a mass extinction that rendered life as we know it in the modern age extinct in near-totality, to the point that the Orokin had to reengineer the Terran ecosystem to prevent it from happening again.

I don't know at all whether or not the warframeaverse is a post-sector-continuation though, that's up for folks way above my pay-grade.

1 hour ago, lightdragon64 said:

I have always been of the vague hope that Hayden Tenno became immortal (or at least a super long life) because of the technocyte infection. it would be pretty neat if the actual character came into the game at some point.

He did become Immortal...I'm just not sure if he succumbed to the infestation within and became the Hive mind bent on consuming the Universe...

...or if he joined with a self-aware dimension of insidious energy that causes science and reason to fail and is bent on consuming the Universe...

1 hour ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

He did become Immortal...I'm just not sure if he succumbed to the infestation within and became the Hive mind bent on consuming the Universe...

...or if he joined with a self-aware dimension of insidious energy that causes science and reason to fail and is bent on consuming the Universe...

It's my understanding that what made him unique is that something in his genetic makeup made his body work in a symbiotic relationship with the Technocyte, rather than it being able to take him over. Remember that the "cure" or whatever he was getting was a placebo and they intended to kill him. I like to think that he probably had the most of his organic tissues replaced by the Technocyte while wearing the proto armor and became the real "first warframe".

1 hour ago, Altre said:

It's my understanding that what made him unique is that something in his genetic makeup made his body work in a symbiotic relationship with the Technocyte, rather than it being able to take him over. Remember that the "cure" or whatever he was getting was a placebo and they intended to kill him. I like to think that he probably had the most of his organic tissues replaced by the Technocyte while wearing the proto armor and became the real "first warframe".

His nerve endings didn't work IIRC, or he would have gone insane with pain.

TECHNOCYTE = PAIN.  In the Warframe Universe, also.

Nerve damage doesn't mean constant pain, it usually does the opposite. Pinched nerves usually cause pain because they can still send back signals warning of bodily damage, dead or damaged nerves cause numbness (when we had our kid, my gf had dead nerves where they did the c-section and couldn't feel the spot that was sliced open).

If this is how the game put it, it still doesn't mean that he would go insane. He would probably not be a nice individual. What makes the Technocyte scary is that it literally takes over your body and warps you into another creature with no control over yourself. Hayden, as well as the chick that was effectively Nyx, wasn't prone to the control.

Now isolation, on the other hand, may do him in psychologically. It'd be cool if we had to deal with a super powerful ancient frame that loosely resembled Excal that had a badass glaive that could become any element....

1 hour ago, Altre said:

Nerve damage doesn't mean constant pain, it usually does the opposite. Pinched nerves usually cause pain because they can still send back signals warning of bodily damage, dead or damaged nerves cause numbness (when we had our kid, my gf had dead nerves where they did the c-section and couldn't feel the spot that was sliced open).

If this is how the game put it, it still doesn't mean that he would go insane. He would probably not be a nice individual. What makes the Technocyte scary is that it literally takes over your body and warps you into another creature with no control over yourself. Hayden, as well as the chick that was effectively Nyx, wasn't prone to the control.

Now isolation, on the other hand, may do him in psychologically. It'd be cool if we had to deal with a super powerful ancient frame that loosely resembled Excal that had a badass glaive that could become any element....

That's the thing, in the Sectorverse, if you had Congenital Insensitivity to Pain like Hayden did, the ravageing of the body the Technocyte did is not felt and you are therefore left Sentient and aware. That's why the soldiers of Lasaria who became infected were reduced to gibbering wrecks as the Technocyte consumed them. No matter how mutilated you became, the Technocyte would ignore the human nervous system and merely "push it around" to fit in the new body, meaning you could remain human no matter how much of a transformation you suffered.

Edited by Unus

I think we're on the same page. His pain insensitivity helped him not be psycologically warped.

It'd be nice if they'd just work this stuff out and commit it to the game. It's literally why I picked the game up in the first place and why I paid for the stupid founder thing. Not sure if it would feel the same for me if they just weren't connected.