Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

net neutrality and what will it mean for warframe

Jivy

Question

19 answers to this question

Too soon to tell really. It may mean nothing at all or it could mean that certain ISPs can't access the servers or have massive lag. If net neutrality is lost I will truly feel sorry for US internet users as the behaviour of the big providers over there is truly horrible.

1 minute ago, Shalath said:

Too soon to tell really. It may mean nothing at all or it could mean that certain ISPs can't access the servers or have massive lag. If net neutrality is lost I will truly feel sorry for US internet users as the behaviour of the big providers over there is truly horrible.

but this wont affect australia right..?

Just now, Shalath said:

I wouldn't feel bad for the US people.

I'd feel bad for the entire world..

Think about it, as soon as ISPs in the US start doing things they want, charge A LOT of money for basic services online and get away with it, other providers in other countries will start trying things out. First just slowly testing the waters, making smaller changes to see how the people react, and eventually everyone will follow what the US is doing and at that point, internet is no longer a place for free speech. Everything will be a paywall, everything will be altered in one way or another, everything will be harder to access and the most basic things you're doing today will be completely gone OR really expensive.

This really.. really can't happen. Ninjas, unite, let's CRUSH these ideas, looks like the Corpus wasn't the only faction hungry for money..

1 minute ago, EmilotMargus said:

I wouldn't feel bad for the US people.

I'd feel bad for the entire world..

Think about it, as soon as ISPs in the US start doing things they want, charge A LOT of money for basic services online and get away with it, other providers in other countries will start trying things out. First just slowly testing the waters, making smaller changes to see how the people react, and eventually everyone will follow what the US is doing and at that point, internet is no longer a place for free speech. Everything will be a paywall, everything will be altered in one way or another, everything will be harder to access and the most basic things you're doing today will be completely gone OR really expensive.

This really.. really can't happen. Ninjas, unite, let's CRUSH these ideas, looks like the Corpus wasn't the only faction hungry for money..

so everyone is gonna die?

Just now, EmilotMargus said:

Well, not my point but.. if we look at it this way, even more reason to fight against it.

but i heard the fcc dont care there just gonna do it anyway no matter what so i guess everything is just gonna die games.. sites.. just everything ;-;

Just now, Regarg said:

but i heard the fcc dont care there just gonna do it anyway no matter what so i guess everything is just gonna die games.. sites.. just everything ;-;

If enough people make their voices heard, they will not do it. They're big people, of course, but even they can get scared, and when half the world is after you, that's when things get scary even for a big fish.

1 minute ago, EmilotMargus said:

If enough people make their voices heard, they will not do it. They're big people, of course, but even they can get scared, and when half the world is after you, that's when things get scary even for a big fish.

welp then we dont have to worry so many pepole have been making videos and hell even sending them death threats and soon probs to actual death threats carried out unfortanly or fortanlly humanity will go to great lengths to protect something they love i guess?

12 minutes ago, Regarg said:

phew atleast im safe but i guess i wont have alot of freinds now since most of them live in the us :( rip warframe buds

Not necessarily - if you look at internet global traffic maps you can see that a vast majority of traffic from around the world passes though the US, and hence, will become under the control of the net non-neutral operators. Even within Canada a substantial amount of data is actually routed through the U.S. even accessing Canadian content from within Canada. The chances of non-Canadian data not passing through is minimal. 

So in short - it's not a US problem, it's potentially a problem for all of us.

A person in my office sent a screenshot of area's of the world that essentially have this in place and what it comes down to is:

You would pay for your internet connection as normal. But, on top of the connection, there would be categories of extra priced packages that you would pay for that would allow data of those types to also come across with no throttling. Some countries actually don't allow any data type to come across outside of the packages but it would take quite some time for that to happen.

So you would have say a music pack that would have a list of music streaming services, a video one, a gaming one etc. The problem is gaming is hard to categorize into a simple "package" so i'm not quite sure how they would tackle it.

Here is the screenshot of a country with the packages: 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNGlrABUIAAr9RO.jpg