Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What do people think of asking DE for a legacy server?

DarkRinnegan

And here is the bigger thing. Those 2 games are largely shaped by the people around you. In warframe, you only play with those you choose, and also unlike those games, warframe has a very, VERY clear end. Once you've gotten every piece of gear, maxed it, formad it, cleared every node, and leveled each mod, you are done. There is effectively NOTHING to do in the game. Other than wag a huge floppy Skana around between your legs at players less powerful than you. This game is not a good target for a legacy server at all.

Edited by Azlen

1 minute ago, Valiant said:

Which is why even having a legacy server is a bad idea and comes back to my original comment - you can't cater to everyone and wouldn't be able to possibly nail down a suitable period. People liked different periods of WF, not just the one you liked.

WF simply isn't that sort of game with its updates which change the gameplay in leaps and bounds.

Like I said you could just keep changing the period, It would be what warframe is, it would be something different.

2 minutes ago, Azlen said:

And here is the bigger thing. Those 2 games are largely shaped by the people around you. In warframe, you only play with those you choose, and also unlike those games, warframe has a very, VERY clear end. Once you've gotten every piece of gear, maxed it, formad it, cleared every node, and leveled each mod, you are done. There is effectively NOTHING to do in the game. Other than wag a huge floppy Skana around between your legs at players less powerful than you. This game is not a good target for a legacy server at all.

I disagree I think it would be good to have a legacy server, not the actual game but just something else on the side 

Response to main topic:

Spoiler

Warframe has been layering itself on top of itself in a way that virtually any other game (i.e: World of WarCraft, Halo, Destiny) never did. 

It doesn't have major points in its life where it had made itself-sized expansions, no massive content drops aside from the Main Quests.

Not to mention that it would be hell for the servers and handlers to dig up the archaic 1.0 systems. It would be too much effort for little grofit - and I know it sounds Corpus, but DE must make profit to sustain its continued goal of perfecting this game and having a server for every major .0 would mean all the bugs would persist and never be fixed.

What I mean is yes, it can work, but no, the resources needed outweigh whatever profit could be gleaned.

I propose an alternative.

DE could rebuild Wallrunning (since we already have wall-dashing, which is really wall-hopping), vaulting (which would make use of all the ledges again), and other elements that were exclusive to parkour 1.0 except coptering, and reintegrate them into 2.0, creating Parkour 2.5 in the process. That would be a step in the right direction to me.

Short version:
Warframe isn't like the others. Legacy servers would still have bugs which would be unfixable and the different data conflicting with the primary servers would cause systemic corruption if mishandled, or worse.
While World of WarCraft, and to a degree, Destiny, has cutoff points in the form of expansions, Warframe is layered on itself like a katana - removing one thing causes the entire weapon to become fragile. The closest we can get is an updated array of Parkour 1.0 movements added back to Parkour 2.0 to make Parkour 2.5. 

Edited by Koldraxon-732
TL DR

The game itself is still evolving. PoE has just changed the game in a big way, With more on the Horizon. It's still a baby in terms of how long it's been active. I think any game that even want's to go that route of " Legacy " should have at least 10 years on the clock, the financial and support and player base. Look to the future instead of trying to hold onto the past. Nostalgia can be good, but not to live in it.

3 minutes ago, Koldraxon-732 said:

Response to main topic:

Reveal hidden contents

Warframe has been layering itself on top of itself in a way that virtually any other game (i.e: World of WarCraft, Halo, Destiny) never did. 

It doesn't have major points in its life where it had made itself-sized expansions, no massive content drops aside from the Main Quests.

Not to mention that it would be hell for the servers and handlers to dig up the archaic 1.0 systems. It would be too much effort for little grofit - and I know it sounds Corpus, but DE must make profit to sustain its continued goal of perfecting this game and having a server for every major .0 would mean all the bugs would persist and never be fixed.

What I mean is yes, it can work, but no, the resources needed outweigh whatever profit could be gleaned.

I propose an alternative.

DE could rebuild Wallrunning (since we already have wall-dashing, which is really wall-hopping), vaulting (which would make use of all the ledges again), and other elements that were exclusive to parkour 1.0 except coptering, and reintegrate them into 2.0, creating Parkour 2.5 in the process. That would be a step in the right direction to me.

Short version:
Warframe isn't like the others. Legacy servers would still have bugs which would be unfixable and the different data conflicting with the primary servers would cause systemic corruption if mishandled, or worse.
While World of WarCraft, and to a degree, Destiny, has cutoff points in the form of expansions, Warframe is layered on itself like a katana - removing one thing causes the entire weapon to become fragile. The closest we can get is an updated array of Parkour 1.0 movements added back to Parkour 2.0 to make Parkour 2.5. 

Need to point out katannas are already fragile 

1 hour ago, Wind_Blade said:

No warframe is not a game that was really good before. I imagine some nostalgic are affected by the memories of the discovery of warframe or not but it would be a big waste of money for DE. At the limit propose to be able to change the theme of the interface to put it as before or at best to be able to change the system of movement when have wants but that would be the limit.

It was good enough to get to this point. 

I would just like to see how many people REALLY enjoyed the old void tower system.

14 minutes ago, Wind_Blade said:

"the old void tower system."

"the old void tower system."

NIGHTMARE COME TRUE

That WAS bad... Man was that bad. I wouldn't say it was a terrible game overall back then, but its come a looooong way.

How did I ever go multiple 20 minute survival missions back then? I can barely stand when there is a 10 minute one in a sortie now.

Edited by Hypernaut1

I do congratulate you on getting so many people to bite on this, but you know very well that other games don't do this.  Name even ONE that currently has legacy available.  This is a terrible idea.  It couldn't be worse.  They could implement an electric shock system that zapped my nethers every time a status effect proc'd and it would be better than this.

il y a 3 minutes, Hypernaut1 a dit :

That WAS bad... Man was that bad. I wouldn't say it was a terrible game overall back then, but its come a looooong way.

Bad ?? hmm I do not think there is a word that can describe how you feel when gameplay forces you to wait 20 @(*()$ minutes to get a $&*^ jerk of dice at 5% success ... 20 minutes or 20 waves ... for 5% chance of drop. It's would be supposed fun ... i can't find the fun inside that system.

Edited by Wind_Blade

Everyone knows that 5th edition was the most balanced, best edition.  People that play 1st or 2nd edition only do so because of nostalgia.  Third edition was a step in the right direction and laid the foundation but was extremely flawed.  Fourth edition wasn't quite there yet.  Later, 6th edition was a huge misstep, but the game was already popular and had a lot of new players come during that time who didn't anything else.  However, almost everyone agrees that 7th edition was completely broken especially at the end with detachments.  It looks like 8th edition is a big improvement even if it had a lot of fundamental changes.  Still not at good as 5th edition which we should all be playing instead.

Wait?, what was I talking about again...

That is a quick opinion piece about a game that has been around for 30 years.  A game that dominates its genre and one that anyone could play the edition they want.  Yet, almost no plays anything but the most current edition.  Even if they don't like it.  You will not get everyone to agree which edition they want to play and will quickly split up the player base doing so.

19 hours ago, DarkRinnegan said:

Well its just a server running another update that is already completed so I doubt it would be too difficult

Sweet summer child...

But yeah, it would be a very big effort for little gain. Digging up systems that are already replaced with something else, which makes certain model, texture, and code links doesn't work. *Shudder*

It's not a very wise choice from a perspective of the devs' resources, either- spending time and money to uphold an old version of the game they're so proud of progress-wise. The closest thing to a "legacy" server or separate from the main game I play is Overwatch's PTR, which isn't linked to the actual game besides some delayed progress (skins, etc). The tale of Runescape fragmenting also seems bad. DE & the community's feedback have worked on this project in tandem to refine and reshape the game ultimately for the better, and I think other than a "throwback thursday" type of deal i don't think the earlier game is something to revel in.

On 04/12/2017 at 9:31 AM, DarkRinnegan said:

As the title says "What do people think about a legacy server?" I think it would be wonderful to get to experience old warframe again. Many other games do this so do you think DE should/would/can?

You dont need that. DE dosnt need to spend resources on that. 

You can easily make a new warframe, not add a catalyst and only use the most basic of mod setups, then dont use the parkour. Just walk or run, jump only when you absolutely have too. You can recreate the old warframe all by yourself.

But please. Go to private matchmaking. I dont want to carry you. 

Thank you