Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does anyone here actually like the Operator?

Futurehero

11 hours ago, p3z1 said:

Only use for Operators:

- Zenurik proccing
- Extra energy per energy orb (Zenurik again)
- Madurai damage buffs (phoenix somethings)
- Zipping through big maps (Naramon void dash range buffer)
- Affinity spike
- SOME spy usage

Overall, VERY situational

You forgot Unairu bullet attracting to significantly reduce the amount of damage output the enemy can push for 10s at a time. Or the 25m group stealth/80% damage reduction that can open up alternate ways to handle heavy threats.

Oh wait, the, "Unairu is useless," meme is still strong on the forums. Forgot about that. Carry on.

Nope, not me.

The gameplay just feels sluggish ASF compared to playing the warframes (which to me, is the point of the game);

The focus systems could have been just some passive skill three with minor benefits to the frames themselves. Instead they made a grindy fest that even the most avid players are complaining abou it. 

I just avoid the focus/operator system completely.

I like the concept of the operator -- a physically frail body containing immeasurable mental power -- but when Focus 1.0 came out I really didn't pay it much mind. To me it felt like it was forced upon me and made me nervous that the gameplay was going in a direction I didn't like.

However, it grew on me, and in Focus 1.0 I enjoyed almost permanent invisibility with the Naramon melee crit buff. With Focus 2.0, I still use Naramon for the Void Dash (to open enemies up for finishers), various melee buffs, and reviving with Void Mode. I also took the buff to Operator movement speed so that they don't feel as pokey when running about. That said, it all still feels like an "add-on" and not something that's integral to the core gameplay.

Edited by Druterium

5 hours ago, Druterium said:

That said, it all still feels like an "add-on" and not something that's integral to the core gameplay.

Well, except being deeply rooted in the lore and mandatory for one of the current "endgame" activities. Oh and DE are currently working on 2 more versions of said activity. Seems pretty integral to me. The players who view it as optional are soon to be left behind in current content. 

14 minutes ago, (PS4)Musicopia said:

Well, except being deeply rooted in the lore and mandatory for one of the current "endgame" activities. Oh and DE are currently working on 2 more versions of said activity. Seems pretty integral to me. The players who view it as optional are soon to be left behind in current content. 

I have no problem with its importance to the lore. But lore is not the same as gameplay.

Just now, Druterium said:

I have no problem with its importance to the lore. But lore is not the same as gameplay.

Hmm ok since you seemed to have just completely ignored the rest of my comment, the operator is mandatory to fight the Teralyst out on the Plains. Which is in fact gameplay. Gameplay that DE is making more of, and will continue to develop. 

1 minute ago, (PS4)Musicopia said:

Hmm ok since you seemed to have just completely ignored the rest of my comment, the operator is mandatory to fight the Teralyst out on the Plains. Which is in fact gameplay. Gameplay that DE is making more of, and will continue to develop. 

I'm not certain why you seem to be feigning offense, but my original statement was simply offering my viewpoint, not trying state anything as irrefutable fact.
As the game stands right now, Operators are needed to fight the Eidolons, yet the rewards from fighting them primarily provide more effective tools for fighting said Eidolons. If some players aren't interested in this, they can entirely ignore it and still enjoy the majority of the game. This may change in the future, but for now it's kind of a "closed loop". That is what affected my opinion of this gameplay system.

TL;DR: OP originally seemed to think the answer would be 'no', but it turned out to be 'yes', and this is apparently very upsetting to some people. Some like operators and enjoy using them, and some don't. Despite the fears of some, operators do not replace warframes, nor will they, nor should they, nor will they need to do in order to be useful in gameplay. Yes, you can use both at the same time, and many players do. In fact, they are particularly helpful in public games, where random matchmaking means you can't be sure of a balanced squad composition that will have answers to every situation.

Given the right investment in focus, an operator can cover for the weaknesses of a warframe, and provide abilities that warframe lacks, or provide synergy to enhance your chosen playstyle. Vazarin allows you to heal allies and block damage. Zenurik's Void Flow and Naramon's Mind Sprint can be unbound, ultimately making the operator's void dash faster than any frame except Nova. Zenurik's Voltaic Blast and Vazarin's Sonic Dash provide CC. Naramon practically removes all worry of losing melee combos. Madurai improves damage from any source. Unairu dabbles in everything, from invisibility and damage reduction to armor shredding and enhanced operator damage. And, yes, Zenurik provides energy regeneration to support power-heavy playstyles. And of course, void mode has all sorts of uses, like dodging attacks with no room to roll, hacking or reviving safely, or running spy missions quickly and undetected without having to bring a stealth frame. That's without getting into operator arcanes and amps.

And all of those things are available regardless of which warframe or weapons you choose to bring to a mission. While some people are loudly proclaiming that operators add *~NOTHING~* to gameplay, those actually using them are finding the opposite to be true. They have the potential to enhance all areas of gameplay, when used properly.

Edited by DreamsmithJane

10 minutes ago, Druterium said:

I'm not certain why you seem to be feigning offense, but my original statement was simply offering my viewpoint, not trying state anything as irrefutable fact.
As the game stands right now, Operators are needed to fight the Eidolons, yet the rewards from fighting them primarily provide more effective tools for fighting said Eidolons. If some players aren't interested in this, they can entirely ignore it and still enjoy the majority of the game. This may change in the future, but for now it's kind of a "closed loop". That is what affected my opinion of this gameplay system.

Yea re reading my comments makes them seem a little aggressive, my bad. Not really my intent. I like the operators and fighting the Teralyst and am looking forward to the next iteration of them. Yea Eidolons are kind of a closed loop at the moment, but there are some nice arcanes (maybe kind of broken) like having 2x magus elevate on a warframe is insane healing, even for those without any other way to self heal. It's really really good. But it is locked behind rank 5 quills and tons of grinding. 

37 minutes ago, (PS4)Musicopia said:

Yea re reading my comments makes them seem a little aggressive, my bad. Not really my intent. I like the operators and fighting the Teralyst and am looking forward to the next iteration of them. Yea Eidolons are kind of a closed loop at the moment, but there are some nice arcanes (maybe kind of broken) like having 2x magus elevate on a warframe is insane healing, even for those without any other way to self heal. It's really really good. But it is locked behind rank 5 quills and tons of grinding. 

That's a really good point; I forgot about the arcanes! Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing these new types of Eidolons that are coming "soon" :)

17 hours ago, Chipputer said:

You forgot Unairu bullet attracting to significantly reduce the amount of damage output the enemy can push for 10s at a time. Or the 25m group stealth/80% damage reduction that can open up alternate ways to handle heavy threats.

Oh wait, the, "Unairu is useless," meme is still strong on the forums. Forgot about that. Carry on.

Never got to play with unairu much, save the Cetus Wisp. Mostly my points are in naramon and zenurik

17 hours ago, (PS4)Musicopia said:

And if they get left behind for (rightly) not liking this tragically bad tacked on gimmick, they will likely just uninstall the game, and take their wallets with them. I know that, if the Operator over Warframe focus continues much longer, that's my plan. Thanks to space kid and the terrible, one off "cinematic" (they really werent) quests, we havent gotten but a smattering of new WARFRAME content for two YEARS now. 

26 minutes ago, BlackCoMerc said:

And if they get left behind for (rightly) not liking this tragically bad tacked on gimmick, they will likely just uninstall the game, and take their wallets with them. I know that, if the Operator over Warframe focus continues much longer, that's my plan. Thanks to space kid and the terrible, one off "cinematic" (they really werent) quests, we havent gotten but a smattering of new WARFRAME content for two YEARS now. 

It's a pretty bold move by DE I have to admit, putting all this time into the operator. Trust me I'm on your side when it comes to wanting new content, I would love to get some new mission types and reward systems that were actually well...rewarding. Sometimes I feel bad for DE because there players swallow up content like a blackhole and then demand more and more. Trickling out new weapons and warframes here and there is cool and all, but that only lasts for a short time period. Players farm it, forma it and already asking what's next. 

On 1/29/2018 at 1:02 AM, Airwolfen said:

all of them. what about that.

"Oh no they are making new hair. know what that means WARFRAMES ARE NO LONGER GETTING COSMETICS!"

-in the art stream stream where most shown stuff was directed at warframes-

better prepare your tinfoil hat boy. you gonna need it.

Nice insult.:angry:

:facepalm:Childish need to personally insult others rather than respond through logic aside...

I have 3 people working on Operator's: hair/mechanics/fashion/movement/abilities...

I have less people working on Warframes: mechanics/fashion/movement/abilities...

Yes this seems to be an issue, IF I, AS A PALYER PREFER WARFRAMES.:thumbup:

Insert preferred personal insult here.:satisfied:

On 1/29/2018 at 7:29 AM, Sylorknag said:

Nope, not me.

The gameplay just feels sluggish ASF compared to playing the warframes (which to me, is the point of the game);

The focus systems could have been just some passive skill three with minor benefits to the frames themselves. Instead they made a grindy fest that even the most avid players are complaining abou it. 

I just avoid the focus/operator system completely.

This is the larger issue.

For the players who :inlove: Operators for whatever reason. You need to understand beyond your own personal interests; that a great many players do not like them. That a great many players do not want them.

If you can understand this. You can now take the next step, and allow these player's to choose not to use Operators.

Not to have to personally avoid the focus/operator system. (Which is senseless, and counterproductive.) Choices could be given/returned as to how players play their game. DE should allow all players the option. A short quest where you as a player are allowed to choose how you play Warframe.

You can...

1) Stay as an Operator.

2) Return to playing Warfame as a Warfame.  *If you choose this option all Operator abilities/talents are now used by the Warframe. Pressing 5 simply makes Operator abilities/talents available, as well as equipping the amp. **(While I'd prefer a more indepth separation. This would be an acceptable/straightforward first step imho) 

20 hours ago, DreamsmithJane said:

TL;DR: OP originally seemed to think the answer would be 'no', but it turned out to be 'yes', and this is apparently very upsetting to some people. Some like operators and enjoy using them, and some don't. Despite the fears of some, operators do not replace warframes, nor will they, nor should they, nor will they need to do in order to be useful in gameplay. Yes, you can use both at the same time, and many players do. In fact, they are particularly helpful in public games, where random matchmaking means you can't be sure of a balanced squad composition that will have answers to every situation.

Opinion> Operators do replace Warframes.

Conclusion> Operators do replace Warframes.

Opinion>  You can use both at the same time.

Conclusion> You can only use 1 at any given time.

Given the right investment in focus, an operator can cover for the weaknesses of a warframe, and provide abilities that warframe lacks, or provide synergy to enhance your chosen playstyle.

This is focus, these systems/abilities/talents could be on your Warframe. Without the need for an Operator. Pressing 5 could easily make Operator abilities/talents available, as well as equipping the amp. All transference available could be used by your Warfame without the need to jump/transfer/shift. To instead smoothly passage from 'classic' mode to 'void' mode. Or from 'void' mode back to 'classic' mode!

And all of those things are available regardless of which warframe or weapons you choose to bring to a mission. While some people are loudly proclaiming that operators add *~NOTHING~* to gameplay, those actually using them are finding the opposite to be true. They have the potential to enhance all areas of gameplay, when used properly.

To fit into your characterization...

21 hours ago, DreamsmithJane said:

operators add *~NOTHING~* to gameplay

New void abilities add to the gameplay.

The ability to hit cntl and become invincible, is... eah... easy mode?

I'll also quietly point out here that there are a great many void abilities, that use to be unlocked and used by Warframes. That were great fun.

Not wanting the operator doesn't make you not want new mechanics.

Not wanting the operator means. You do not want the operator.

Personally, I rather like having and using the operator.

I realize that it is a very controversial subject.   I think it is important to point out that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and no one's opinion is inherently wrong.  

However.

Those who argue in favor of the operators should remember that just because you like them does not mean they are flawless and that anyone who dislikes them are stupid.  There are numerous reasons why many people don't like them.

Those who argue against operators should remember that just because you dislike them does not mean that those who like them are wrong either.  There are just as many reasons to like operaters as to dislike them.  

The original purpose of this thread was, if I read right, to see if anyone liked the operators.  A fair number have spoken up to say one way or the other, and have given valid reasons for why.  

DE isn't perfect, and they have made their share of mistakes.  But I feel compelled to say that we, as a community, are just as much to blame for Warframe' s shortcomings.  Many people in the community feel they know Warframe better than it's creators and are quick to demand that their opinion on how the game should be made be followed to the letter.   Others can be very critical without actually contributing anything useful to the conversation.  Others are unwilling to hear others out on their points, instead turning to insults and dismissals.  And a very large group do not even add their share to the conversation, and instead are claimed to be spoken for by one side or the other.  This all makes getting clear and concise feedback to improve the game much harder.

But another point must be made.  DE are the creators of Warframe.  They are not required to ask for or need feedback.  The fact that they openly accept feedback is astounding.  If they wanted,  they could decide to abandon further Warframe development and let us just have what we have.  For them it is a passion to make this game and have people enjoy it.  It isn't perfect, will never be.  But in the end, DE is the only one who makes the final decisions.  They may choose something different than what the feedback says.  If they choose to do something with their game and choose to stick to their guns with it, that's what they'll do.  If they choose to listen to the community's collective feedback that is what they'll do.  

Arguing over who is right or wrong and bashing DE all the while, will only serve to lessen DE's willingness to listen to feedback.

Those who make suggestions respectfully, and provide constructive critism should be commended.  Just keep in mind that only DE has the final say.

3 minutes ago, StabbyTentacles said:

Opinion> Operators do replace Warframes.

Conclusion> Operators do replace Warframes.

Opinion>  You can use both at the same time.

Conclusion> You can only use 1 at any given time.

Neither of those are opinions. That's not how opinions work. And your conclusions are both incorrect. You can only control one at a time, but since warframe and operator powers tend to have lasting effects, you can obviously use both at the same time, and even cause their abilities to interact and synergize. Now, I already have you on my ignore list, so I should not have received a notification just now. It would be great if that would work the way it's supposed to.

8 hours ago, Ilikebagels said:

I would have been better off if they unmasked the warframes instead of making edgy emo kids

It has been said before, but it bears repeating: if your kid is edgy or emo, it's because you made them that way.

1 hour ago, DreamsmithJane said:

if your kid is edgy or emo, it's because you made them that way.

Or...perhaps the dialogue written and recorded for Operators by DE makes them appear edgy and emo to at least some of us players?

Because honestly, said dialogue really IS cringe-worthy at times. See TWW.

This is why some of us made a point of turning off Operator dialogue. Some of it is arguably TERRIBLE.

Now, I already have you on my ignore list, so I should not have received a notification

Because that's such a reasonable and mature way to deal with someone that has an opinion you don't agree with.

Edited by MirageKnight

1 hour ago, DreamsmithJane said:

Now, I already have you on my ignore list, so I should not have received a notification just now. It would be great if that would work the way it's supposed to.

There's also a reason why ignoring someone doesn't notify them, and is handled in a discreet manner. It's kinda tactless to go out of your way to call it out to the person; try logging-out and back in if it bothers you that much.

Just finished War Within and I have to say I'm even more convinced DE wants to make operators the main focus in the game. That quest pretty much tells you you don't need the warframes you are actually more powerful without them. Teshin pretty much says Transference was holding you back.

I'm not wishing for it to happen but it's hard for me not to see the signs.