The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is the magnetic & toxin still the best elemental combination against Corpus

k05h

Question

With so many robotic units around in Corpus missions can we still say magnetic & toxin is the best elemental combination. 

Would Cold (+50% against shields) and Radiation (+25% against most robotic) on eihter a high impact (+50% shield) or high puncture (+25% against most robotics) weapon be a decent alternative?

Edited by k05h

22 answers to this question

Yeah, the big difficulty with Corpus is that Robotics and Flesh don't share many weaknesses. I guess Magnetic/Toxin is still best because both units have shields, and toxin goes straight through shields.

That makes Robotics a bit tougher to kill, but the Corpus Flesh units are the hardest hitters. Techs, Combas/Scrambi. Robotics have Fusion MOAs, but they have a very short range.

Of course the other option is to bring one weapon with Magnetic/toxin, and one with Cold/Radiation, and use each weapon for their respective unit types. 

I wouldn't recommend flat Puncture against Corpus. While it does deal more damage to Robotics, it loses almost as much damage to Shields. 

I always go for magnetic and toxin...usually just toxin since that itself is enough 

Things like the Arca plasmor and Mara detron are awesome because they can have rad+mag+toxin and be a complete corpus destroyer 

And things like the embolist, If modded purely for toxin, will melt them in seconds 

So yes, it’s the best combo imo

What about magnetic and gas?  

When Gas procs you get a toxin (not gas) cloud that last for some time and affects targets within 3 m range, which IMO is better than just using Toxin. It absolutely annihilates them. Specially nullifiers bubbles!

See against 8 level 130 nullifiers

Pure gas build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L5tcS7BYco&index=1&list=UUfa5_Zqk4Yg4HYxOx2cLGPQ

Edited by (PS4)El_Senior_Fats

It's kinda redundant to mix Magnetic with Toxin / (high-Status) Gas, as the latter ignores Shields anyway,
so it might be better to focus on (Crit) Toxin / (Status) Gas alone, maybe adding stuff like Bane Of Corpus.

Viral on a Slash-y status weapon is also worth considering, against any Faction, really.

Corpus are an interesting faction when it comes to effective damage types.

At lower levels Corpus have more shields than health and therefor Magnetic + Toxic or Crit Toxic works well however as Corpus scale even the Enemy types with base 50HP 150Shields will end up 50/50 health and shields while some are almost entirely health. This is the point where Viral starts to perform better. It can even vary based on the weapon type. Viral + Electric for Primaries thanks to Primed Cryo Round and Viral + Heat on secondaries thanks to Primed Heated Charge.

Of course at any point heavy Status Gas works. Usually on melee as Gas + Electric but some guns have enough status to pull Gas off. Bleed builds either as Pure physical or mixed with Viral also works well through the levels.

Generally I would only go Magnetic + Toxic on a non-Crit weapon with low-end status against lower level Corpus.

1 hour ago, HisHolinessAardvarkPrime said:

Friend of mine suggested Magnetic Corrosive on the Scourge. Corrosive suffers only one penalty against corpus, a -50% the nullifier proto-shield. The corrosive can peel away that pesky bursa and oxium osprey armor. Here's his build.

Again though, why double dip into both Shield damage and Shield-ignoring damage?

I'd rather go for a Gas build, that'll work well against any Faction.

55 minutes ago, HisHolinessAardvarkPrime said:

But it takes penalties against flesh and cloned flesh

Gas does but you have to remember that Gas procs a viral cloud, not a gas cloud, which is extremelly effective against flesh. So while Gas itself does not to much, the proc given when you apply gas status is much better since it last for a few seconds and affects enemies around it, I think its 3 meter area?  

However, you need Gas to proc status, therefore it is only effective on a status build IMO, again I am new at this so I could be wrong, it might also work on a none status build.

If you cant proc gas status you should go with Viral, again, in my opinion

21 minutes ago, (PS4)El_Senior_Fats said:

Gas does but you have to remember that Gas procs a viral cloud, not a gas cloud, which is extremelly effective against flesh. So while Gas itself does not to much, the proc given when you apply gas status is much better since it last for a few seconds and affects enemies around it, I think its 3 meter area?  

However, you need Gas to proc status, therefore it is only effective on a status build IMO, again I am new at this so I could be wrong, it might also work on a none status build.

If you cant proc gas status you should go with Viral, again, in my opinion

Actually Gas produces a Toxic proc, which does get a +50% bonus vs flesh but takes a -25% penalty against robotic, not Viral, which gets the same bonus with no penalty.

Edited by HisHolinessAardvarkPrime
25 not 50

9 minutes ago, HisHolinessAardvarkPrime said:

Actually Gas produces a Toxic proc, which does get a +50% bonus vs flesh but takes a -50% penalty against robotic, not Viral, which gets the same bonus with no penalty.

Sorry I mean toxic. It actually does not produce a toxic proc, gas's status produces a poison cloud which deal toxin damage, but not toxin status which is just poison (no cloud).

Also the effect last for a while (9 ticks for 8 seconds) and also has an aoe of 3 meters, which viral status does not do, it is also stackable.

Viral status effect is virus, not toxin. Which reduces health by 50% for 6 seconds.

1 hour ago, HisHolinessAardvarkPrime said:

But it takes penalties against flesh and cloned flesh

Sure, Gas damage does, but the Toxin AoE (!) and stacking over-time damage you get from its procs
will bypass Shields and deal additional damage to Ferrite Armor'd enemies at least,
thus (in my experience with high-Status Gas weapons, anyway) easily making up for the penalties.

# edit #

slow Zeku is slow

Edited by NinjaZeku

16 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

Sure, Gas damage does, but the Toxin AoE (!) and stacking over-time damage you get from its procs
will bypass Shields and deal additional damage to Ferrite Armor'd enemies at least,
thus (in my experience with high-Status Gas weapons, anyway) easily making up for the penalties.

The only corpus unit to use ferrite is the oxium ospreys. Bursas (the more dangerous of the two) use alloy so toxin gets no bonus vs them. Additionally Toxin gets a -25% against robotic which is their health type.

#edit#

It's okay slow zeku we all make mistakes

I usually just pick a sniper like Vulkar Wraith with pure toxin damage, barely even modded (yeah, i'm too lazy to make different loadouts for my main sniper, Vectis P)whenever there is an enhanced shield sortie and that's enough to kill everything Corpus on headshots/weakpoints with one or two shots.

Magnetic would be a waste of mod slots if you already have a damage type that bypasses shields and Corpus are pretty weak anyways.

21 minutes ago, HisHolinessAardvarkPrime said:

The only corpus unit to use ferrite is the oxium ospreys. Bursas (the more dangerous of the two) use alloy so toxin gets no bonus vs them. Additionally Toxin gets a -25% against robotic which is their health type.

Against robotic only radiation and electric are good (and puncture), so no point in either choosing viral or gas, none of them have a positive effect anyway. 

Corrosive has no positives on any corpus, and 1 negative. Also, combining magnetic and corrosive is impossible unless you have a weapon with native corrosive damage, like scourge. But if you are going for a Scourge build against Corpus, I would use Toxin, magnetic and corrosive (since I can't get rid of corrosive). Or electric, gas and corrosive. 

Personally I would use a radiation/viral or radiation/gas build on lets say, a primary (or radiation/viral) and gas status build on my secondary. With a melee viral build. Plus matching physical damage. 

3 minutes ago, HisHolinessAardvarkPrime said:

All true.

But, where's the downside compared to your suggested Magnetic + Toxin build?

Sure, that shreds said Bursa's Shields, (which aren't really the biggest problem, and Gas does ~well enough against those),
but when up against the actual Alloy Armor'd Robotic Health, Magnetic gets a whoopin' -50% penalty (and Toxin gets -25% of course).

Gas on the other hand basically deals double damage on procs (well, +75% in this case),
so your +75% Magnetic vs Shields has to compete with +75% every time you get a Gas proc,
and when Shields are gone, it's -50% / -25% compared to 100%, or 175% on procs.

And that's not counting the possibility of hitting multiple enemies with one shot
(AoE Gas Status weapons are awesome), thus getting multiple Toxin AoEs on the same enemy/ies at once.

:D

54 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

All true.

But, where's the downside compared to your suggested Magnetic + Toxin build?

Sure, that shreds said Bursa's Shields, (which aren't really the biggest problem, and Gas does ~well enough against those),
but when up against the actual Alloy Armor'd Robotic Health, Magnetic gets a whoopin' -50% penalty (and Toxin gets -25% of course).

Gas on the other hand basically deals double damage on procs (well, +75% in this case),
so your +75% Magnetic vs Shields has to compete with +75% every time you get a Gas proc,
and when Shields are gone, it's -50% / -25% compared to 100%, or 175% on procs.

And that's not counting the possibility of hitting multiple enemies with one shot
(AoE Gas Status weapons are awesome), thus getting multiple Toxin AoEs on the same enemy/ies at once.

:D

My build is magnetic corrosive. The corrosive peels off the alloy without taking penalties against anything else the bursa has. Also where do you get +75% from gas? Gas takes a -25% to flesh and gets no other bonus against corpus. Toxin only gets a +50% boost vs flesh and a -25% penalty vs robotic.

23 minutes ago, HisHolinessAardvarkPrime said:

My build is magnetic corrosive. The corrosive peels off the alloy without taking penalties against anything else the bursa has.

But them what do you use for flesh? most of the corpus is flesh, except for bursas that are alloy and some robotic bodies. Why dont then use viral plus corrosive or gas/corrosive? if you want to use corrosive?  although I think radiation is better 

I have never heard of corrosive being good for alloy armor tbh. I will test it tonight in the simulacrum against a bursa and report back, but still, how many bursas do you come across in a sortie or mission? 3, 4? 5 maybe? why do your build around an ememy that is not that common instead of focusing on those who are more prominent? 

just curious

3 minutes ago, (PS4)El_Senior_Fats said:

But them what do you use for flesh? most of the corpus is flesh, except for bursas that are alloy and some robotic bodies. Why dont then use viral plus corrosive or gas/corrosive? if you want to use corrosive?  although I think radiation is better 

I have never heard of corrosive being good for alloy armor tbh. I will test it tonight in the simulacrum against a bursa and report back, but still, how many bursas do you come across in a sortie or mission? 3, 4? 5 maybe? why do your build around an ememy that is not that common instead of focusing on those who are more prominent? 

just curious

I find moas have about a 1:2 ratio to crewmen maybe a little less. I would prefer a build that has no real penalties to robotics when we have a common enemy that has a head shot penalty as opposed to a multiplier that uses the health type. Having a penalty against one of the nastiest enemies in the corpus army is also a less than ideal situation. Corrosive's benefit here is not a damage bonus but it's ability to completely remove armor with enough procs. It's why so many anti grineer status builds use it when the heaviest grineer units use alloy which is not weak to corrosive.

2 hours ago, HisHolinessAardvarkPrime said:

My build is magnetic corrosive.

The build you linked is Magnetic + Toxin (+ Corrosive base damage).

If you were trying to add more Corrosive damage after first establishing Magnetic, that's impossible.

2 hours ago, HisHolinessAardvarkPrime said:

where do you get +75% from gas?

Gas procs deal an extra instance of immediate damage,
so I just (lazily / really not correctly lol) took that as double damage (+100%),
though since that extra instance is Toxin, it gets reduced by 25% on Bursas, so there, +75%.

3 hours ago, HisHolinessAardvarkPrime said:

I find moas have about a 1:2 ratio to crewmen maybe a little less. I would prefer a build that has no real penalties to robotics when we have a common enemy that has a head shot penalty as opposed to a multiplier that uses the health type. Having a penalty against one of the nastiest enemies in the corpus army is also a less than ideal situation. Corrosive's benefit here is not a damage bonus but it's ability to completely remove armor with enough procs. It's why so many anti grineer status builds use it when the heaviest grineer units use alloy which is not weak to corrosive.

Ok, MOAS are not exactly the same as bursas, MOAs have a shield and robotic body only, bursas have this plus alloy armor, which is why I thought you said corrosive would help although I always though corrosive was more effective against ferrite armors, MOAs melt under a Gas status proc! Anyway I did some tests again some level 130 bursas.

Unfortunately the scourge no matter what you use cannot take down a level 130 bursa, it just can't, so I used a weapon with some physical damage and with some punch, the opticor.

I removed my riven and set them against the bursa, one using corrosive/puncture and the other using radiation/puncture, see for yourself but corrosive took at least 7 shots, 8 on average while radiation took 2 shots, first shot took almost 90% of its total health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_MlqB9vVqI&list=UUfa5_Zqk4Yg4HYxOx2cLGPQ&index=3

Interesting as well is if you look at the video and wait for the bursa to die (times out after you dont hack it) you will see a crit damage number, around 10k for the corrosive build and over 1 million for the radiation one, not sure what that actually represents though but I though it was funny.

Also tried the scourge against some MOAs with a corrosive/magnetic build

around 60 shots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCzmkpI2ZYk

And then compare it to this Zakti gas only status build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LcViJ1jXOI&index=2&list=UUfa5_Zqk4Yg4HYxOx2cLGPQ

5 shots

I really dont see the advantage of a corrosive magnetic build IMO, specially without any physical damage such as puncture. I think the best combo if you have to have it in one weapon would be radiation, gas and puncture, but in most cases, gas and impact or even puncture will suffice since gas will bypass the shields anyway. The reason why I said radiation is because it seems highly effective against robotic flesh, same as puncture, having radiation and puncture in the same weapon will guarantee good damage against robotic units and having gas on top of it will guarantee a good damage against non robotic corpus!