Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Isn't take more damage in order to use the ability properly on Chroma is flawed as hell?

DroopingPuppy

I can't get the point that you need to damaging yourself in order to to use the ability depend on the health left on you is meaningful.

Absorb(of Nyx) or Anitmatter Drop(of Nova) seems fine, for they just eats damage as inputs and it outputs all the damage at once, and your teammates are also participate it(though sometimes it is FORCED, sadly). But, what's the point on Vex Armor? I think that a compensate for damage taken is not so bad, but taking a lots of damage is the trigger of a signature ability seems pointless. Also it is simply ruined by your kind, or ignorant teammate that heals you.

The concept of taking a risk for gain the advantage is acceptable, but isn't weird that reducing your health very low by your own self-damaging weapon in order to use it properly?

So, I have an idea for it.

Like as Thurible(of Harrow) or Scarab Swarm(of Inaros) does, using Vex Armor first reducing both shield and health of Chroma himself over time, and it gives the buff for each some point of shield and health lose. After use it once more, or health is too lower, it stops, and gains health and shield regeneration for a time(NOT depend on the shield and health lose by it), or gain some health and shield for hitting the enemy for a time.

Then, Chroma don't need to sit and damaging himself, nor he needs to keep low health all the times and keep saying "please don't heal me noobs!" Losing the health and shield over time still throws him on a peril, and still self damaging will accelerate the process, but anyway Chroma don't required to carry a weapon for self damage.

Edited by DroopingPuppy

The principle behind Vex Armor was based on the fan concept of the dragon frame, Defy. 

In defy the idea was that the frame is in a state of frenzy, drawing attention and taking voluntarily those damages to amp up its abilities. Vex armor drew upon that concept. 

You don't need to play him that way. I just use Vex Armor and a good melee weapon with Life Strike or Healing Return. People just want to force the Vex Armor buffs because it's easier/faster, but I'm not a fan of that playstyle. I still want to use my favorite weapons with him, so self-damage isn't a good option for me. I just get right in front of the enemy and I get the buffs pretty quickly. I also like fighting the enemy and seeing myself get stronger during the fight. It just feels more organic to me. 

Oh yeah, and I use Quick Thinking to avoid dying during the fight before I get the buffs. My Chroma always has energy because of Rage/Hunter Adrenaline, so Quick Thinking is a good option because you're taking damage, getting energy, avoiding death, and getting your Vex Armor Buffs. 

Edited by BL4CKN0ISE

1 hour ago, Aleksi134 said:

Its not viable though at high levels, absorbing damage from enemies anyway, they will literally kill you at 1 hit. SO you will be forced to use self damage at high levels to stay alive.

I'm sorry, but at what specific levels will enemies be one-shotting Chroma (esp. Ice Chroma)? 200? 300? And should abilities really be balanced around levels that high?

1 hour ago, Aleksi134 said:

Its not viable though at high levels, absorbing damage from enemies anyway, they will literally kill you at 1 hit. SO you will be forced to use self damage at high levels to stay alive.

Even at  the highest sorties a well built chroma will hardly not  be OHKO from full shields before vex armor saves him.

Anything beyond that point falls in the realm of balancing for endless, level 200+ enemies we do not encounter and chroma does not need to be balanced around. Nor will the staff actively think " is this gonna scale 2hours into Mot?" which itself is abit silly as thats a small very small part of the game.

17 minutes ago, Buzkyl said:

Even at  the highest sorties a well built chroma will hardly not  be OHKO from full shields before vex armor saves him.

Anything beyond that point falls in the realm of balancing for endless, level 200+ enemies we do not encounter and chroma does not need to be balanced around. Nor will the staff actively think " is this gonna scale 2hours into Mot?" which itself is abit silly as thats a small very small part of the game.

Its a small part of the game yet which is where chroma is used alot. And enemies can one shot him even at 100s and even below. I have experienced this multiple times. I throw on vex armor and enemies just kill me and i get no buff that would save me.

1 minute ago, Aleksi134 said:

Its a small part of the game yet which is where chroma is used alot. And enemies can one shot him even at 100s and even below. I have experienced this multiple times. I throw on vex armor and enemies just kill me and i get no buff that would save me.

Use melee block in those cases, or at the start dodgeroll for the damage mitigation on that to survive the initial hits. maybe its not ideal to how you play but its a good way to start the ramp up.

11 minutes ago, Aleksi134 said:

If that is the case you need to take a look at your Chroma build because something is off with it.