Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reworking Radial Javelin

Reaver_X

so i've thought about what a good way to rework radial javelin would be as well as to make it synergize better with excal's kit. Allow me to illustrate how it would kind of look with this pic ;)

Spiral-Swords-vergil-38348677-500-281.jp

you DMC fans out there should be QUITE familiar with this, and the changes to the ability itsself that i came up with would give even more incentive to leap into the fray as excal, which is what he wants to be doing anyways, as a master swordsman.

Name Change!!

First off, it would no longer be called Radial Javelin, but instead, Revolving Blades!!!

They would be duration based with a high base duration time

reduces all projectile damage to Excal by 75% while active

The blades would have a base damage but would scale off of melee mods and power str (perhaps more power str = more blades?!)

The blades would also have a 50% chance to stagger enemies once per rotation; Basically, imagine you have one blade at 12 o'clock, once that single blade has rotated 360 Degree's and ends back up at 12 o'clock again, the ability will then roll to see if it procs the stagger at 50% chance. this is to make it so you don't just perma-stunlock everything, especially since the move is already doing other things as well, if you think there is a better way to balance the stagger plz let me know.

And yes, this would be great for synergy between Slash Dash as you would increase your radius of overall damage as you slash dash through crowds, not to mention what your outputting while Exalted blade is up. This would make it much easier for excal to survive jumping into a mob of enemies with other enemies still surrounding him and attempting to shoot!

Edited by Reaver_X

11 hours ago, Reaver_X said:

The blades would also have a 50% chance to stagger enemies once per rotation; Basically, imagine you have one blade at 12 o'clock, once that single blade has rotated 360 Degree's and ends back up at 12 o'clock again, the ability will then roll to see if it procs the stagger at 50% chance. this is to make it so you don't just perma-stunlock everything, especially since the move is already doing other things as well, if you think there is a better way to balance the stagger plz let me know.

I have an issue with this. It reads as absurdly complicated, as far as other abilities and their background calculations seem to be. Now add in multiple blades, multiple Excals in the same mission... feels off.

This isn't a 4th ability, it's bordering on overshadowing EB. Either stuns or damage reduction, I don't see both staying, along with damage. Null Star is a similar skill that, while it's Nova's first ability, has a trade off. You have up to 90% DR but they will seek out enemies so you can lose the shield fast. This feels like a flashier Null Star with no downsides.

There is really no reason to change the name.

There is very little synergy beyond making Slash Dash wider.

I don't see anything wrong with it being better than null star, it is a lvl 3 after all and it's most definitely better than javelin, the stun Can be removed if it's too much, but the dps and 75% ranged damage reduction should stay. Also having no synergy beyond slash dash is false, it gives more incentive to use exalted upclose than from afar, which being a melee frame, makes all too much sense

Edited by Reaver_X

I can't possible deny the concept being cool af. Well done on that :clap:

I have a suggestion for the defensive portion. Instead of raw DR on a timer, how about DR based on the number of blades currently active. When you receive damage from gunfire, you lose a blade, but you cannot lose another blade for 3 seconds. This would encourage recasting to send the blades flying into enemies rather than simply turning on a timer - as well as retaining how Radial Javelin currently works, so Excal wouldn't lose anything.

75% DR seems high for a frame that already has medium survivability and can shut down enemies within line-of-sight. Scaling with melee mods also seems like a bit too much.

Edited by Neightrix