Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frame Genders?

GLoRToR

8 minutes ago, xXDeadsinxX said:

No, for starters, Warframes don’t actually have genders, it doesn’t work with the lore at all. DE have already said no to this anyways, not going to happen.

Huh...? So saryn isn't a she? What are those 2 thing on the chest if that's the case? Air-cooler? 

2 minutes ago, low1991 said:

Huh...? So saryn isn't a she? What are those 2 thing on the chest if that's the case? Air-cooler? 

Gameplay wise, yes, Saryn is a she. Lore wise though, she’s just infested tissue like all the other Warframes.

Warframes were most likely made after/for certain people (in terms of lore - Refer to the quests for details). Their gender/appearance is pre-defined, both lore-wise and for the sake of consistency/individuality.

Gender swap is illogical, impractical and kinda interferes with the artistic vision that lead to the design of most frames.

11 minutes ago, xXDeadsinxX said:

Warframes don’t actually have genders,

The "Male Helmet Pack", "Female Helmet Pack" & "Female Warframe Pack" suggest they do.

Also, DE originally planned to do make and female for every frame, then decide not to to save time, then publicly stated as much, then 'ummm'ed, 'errr'ed and 'maybe down the line, who knows' the next time it came up.  The only barrier is player interest so we shouldn't be off-hand shouting down threads that ask for it.  The OP has the right to express their interest in this option and to have that interest considered by DE.  If the topic is so common as tomake you sick of seeing it so often then perhaps that means it's popular enough to be reconsidered.

This is a recurrent question, but the devs made themselves very clear, it's not in the cards, although at the beginning of Warframe they had planned that. Probably was too much work back then for their resources.

10 minutes ago, low1991 said:

It's not a person. It doesn't have a biological sex, it's an imitation, a representation of our species, which happens to have two biological sexes with sexual dimorphism. So no, Saryn isn't a "she", she's the representation of a "she". Like a mannequin. Frames are built, not born. Each frame may or may not have been built to match the image of an existing person in the lore, but it's not a someone per se. We say "he" or "she" precisely because of that sexual dimorphism we see in each frame, that's all. It's because making them look familiar allows us to identify with them more easily I'd say.

Air-cooler thing made me laugh though.^^

Just now, Katinka said:

The "Male Helmet Pack", "Female Helmet Pack" & "Female Warframe Pack" suggest they do.

Right, and that’s just a gameplay thing, nothing to do with the actual lore.

1 minute ago, Katinka said:

Also, DE originally planned to do make and female for every frame, then decide not to to save time, then publicly stated as much, then 'ummm'ed, 'errr'ed and 'maybe down the line, who knows' the next time it came up.  The only barrier is player interest so we shouldn't be off-hand shouting down threads that ask for it.  The OP has the right to express their interest in this option and to have that interest considered by DE.  If the topic is so common as tomake you sick of seeing it so often then perhaps that means it's popular enough to be reconsidered.

DE already have considered it, and they’ve already given their answer to the matter, which is a no. Sure, they can change their opinion on it, and actually make frames that are female and male, but I highly doubt that would ever happen.

1 minute ago, xXDeadsinxX said:

Right, and that’s just a gameplay thing, nothing to do with the actual lore.

Please explain how that affects gameplay in any way.  It's a cosmetic matter that doesn't affect the gameplay at all.

3 minutes ago, SergeantSunshine said:

Spore delivering device. 

Spore bank. Where saryn' use on casting #1.

On topic: i think frame should be EX-human whom infested by something... So there's gender appearance and the lore... I dont think lore for a "thing" or a "vehicle" sounds logical.

7 minutes ago, Katinka said:

They named them that so they wouldn't have to say "the frames that look like females helmet pac" and vice versa. Frames do not have actual genders because they are a combo of infested and metal soooo

Just now, low1991 said:

Spore bank. Where saryn' use on casting #1.

On topic: i think frame should be EX-human whom infested by something... So there's gender appearance and the lore... I dont think lore for a "thing" or a "vehicle" sounds logical.

It is far too late to change the lore and DE doesn't want too anyway

Just now, Katinka said:

Please explain how that affects gameplay in any way.  It's a cosmetic matter that doesn't affect the gameplay at all.

I think they used "male" and "female" in the market for easier identification of the products. Pretty sure it's for the customers, not the lore or anything like that. Although back then they hadn't even come up with the Operators yet. Maybe they did intend to make the frames actual "people", or clones or something like that at some point? In any case, that is no longer the case I'd say. Could have been a thing though. The devs themselves seem to have no clue where they're going with the lore of Warframe sometimes, from their own admittance.^^'

10 minutes ago, Marthrym said:

This is a recurrent question, but the devs made themselves very clear, it's not in the cards, although at the beginning of Warframe they had planned that. Probably was too much work back then for their resources.

Not ripping on you but considering how many skins, Tennogen and otherwise, the only way people would be happy is if DE converted every Warframe skin to have opposite genders which would be a nightmare to code and not to mentor that maybe some Tennogen creators don't want their skins to be made into opposite genders because it's their Brain child

Edited by (XB1)BigLithuanian

3 minutes ago, (XB1)BigLithuanian said:

Frames do not have actual genders because they are a combo of infested and metal soooo

Sooo... what prevents DE releasing skins that don't have the typical gender based appearance of the frame it's for?  If Saryn just looks female but isn't really then why can't we have a Saryn the looks male?  At the end of the day it's just a different shaped lump of infestation and metal anyway.

Just now, (XB1)BigLithuanian said:

the only way people would be happy is if DE converted every Warframe skin to have opposite genders

I have never seen this seriously requested but often seen it brought up as an argument against.  How do you know that's what it would take to make people happy?  Have you asked the people who make threads like this what extent they'd be happy with?  Personally I'd be happy if we were allowed to swap Excalibur and Nyx's bodies (her body was designed as the female Excalibur body before DE decided not to do that).  That would be a nice addition that would take zero effort.  Anything beyond that is bonus.

Edited by Katinka

26 minutes ago, GLoRToR said:

So we have the operator, whose gender we can choose.

Wouldn't it be cool to have that affect the gender of your frames?

Male embers, female rhinos running around?

I'd love this.

Since warframes are biologically sexless and, given their very limited (if at all existant) sentience, are unlikely to mentally self-identify as a specific gender, the only gender they do have is a grammatical one. And nothing's stopping you from referring to your Ember as "he" and your Rhino as "she" if you wish to change it.

4 minutes ago, Katinka said:

Sooo... what prevents DE releasing skins that don't have the typical gender based appearance of the frame it's for?  If Saryn just looks female but isn't really then why can't we have a Saryn the looks male?  At the end of the day it's just a different shaped lump of infestation and metal anyway.

Because DE would have to convert every skin to have a male and female version if people were to be happy and just changing all the base skins to have opposite genders would be a coding nightmare. 

Edited by (XB1)BigLithuanian

23 minutes ago, (XB1)BigLithuanian said:

Not ripping on you but considering how many skins, Tennogen and otherwise, the only way people would be happy is if DE converted every Warframe skin to have opposite genders which would be a nightmare to do

I don't understand. I stated that it would be a ton of work, you're just repeating that... Why? I mean the devs themselves spoke about it, [DE]Rebecca stated that they didn't plan to do it in an interview. I was just reporting this information, nothing more. It wouldn't be me you'd be "ripping on", it'd be the devs lol.

Tennogen is community-made content. The devs just implement it into the market. It's not their doing. They are too busy to do that, that's the whole point behind the existence of the Tennogen program, allowing the community do add to the game without taking people and resources away from game development.

Creating the opposite gender of every frame of the ever expanding roster would be much more work than Tennogen, or a reskin of a pre-existing frame. There may be more to it than a "simple" skin, you know what I mean? I'm not saying it's not doable, or that I don't want it, I'm saying the devs already struggle enough as is with everything they have on their plate, I sincerely doubt they're even going to consider it, not in the foreseeable future at least, and I doubt they'd let it happen through Tennogen if it's more complex than a skin.

EDIT : There's also current lore to consider of course. Would it even make sense to do that? Especially if frames are supposed to evoke the memory of a specific, existing lore character?

Edited by Marthrym

i dont care what the lore says warframes have genders IMO.
bash/hate me if you want but they have genders.
why because ive always thought theres a person inside the warframe being mind controlled by the operator,why do you think they all have different body shapes,no one person can magicly go from being cute (like nova) to being a brute (like rhino or atlas)

This will be a never ending of needs and these threads just shown that the peoples wants it and interested in this gender option. If I may honest I like those games where you have the option to choose your gender but I know this game originally had genders or at least planned to do but before the closed-open beta begins the devs changed this because in that time they were much poorer than they are nowadays and they needed to cut down the not necessary things and also ask founders to kickstart the game. Now after 5+ years they could do this fan service but normally they can do only if they make a male and female model to each frames "almost like equinox" and add similar abilities with the option to swap the abilities between the pairs so in the end you can go with a male ember "with other name of course" but with the ember abilities if you wish to. This could boost the interest and add a tons of extra layer to the variety but it takes them a huge amount of time and they already deep into the current way so most probably they won't change this.

Maybe in a future game after warframe which plays in the same universe.

2 hours ago, Katinka said:

Also, DE originally planned to do make and female for every frame, then decide not to to save time, then publicly stated as much, then 'ummm'ed, 'errr'ed and 'maybe down the line, who knows' the next time it came up.  The only barrier is player interest so we shouldn't be off-hand shouting down threads that ask for it.  The OP has the right to express their interest in this option and to have that interest considered by DE.  If the topic is so common as to make you sick of seeing it so often then perhaps that means it's popular enough to be reconsidered.

Agreed, and if he's getting sick because of seeing this topic on the forums so much, he needs to get off the forums and find something else to do for awhile - he's obviously overstaying his welcome here and needs to take a break. Oh, and pop some Dramamine tabs before he comes back on.