The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

This is a serious problem.

CrunchyCloud

Just now, Sitchrea said:

He got his right to speak taken away by telling a joke... Sounds like 1984 to me.

No he didn't. He got censored in a video game. Same as being told to tone it down in a restaurant. He is free to say whatever he want in his own home, hence his rights to speak are not being violated in any way shape or form.

1 minute ago, Lord-Taco-the-Great said:

I think that last point of his was a bit of stretch, but I really do I feel like 24-48 hours may have been a good in between.

I agree. I don't even understand why people are banned from it. Me personally, I would just have filtered out the words or the sentence in question. But I don't get to make the rules.

1 minute ago, rune_me said:

Lol. You got banned from chat. In a videogame. I don't think you know what "Orwellian" means.

It's an idea to describe a societal condition. A chat in video game totally fits that description. A chat in video game is a society to some extend. Let's not derail this from the original topic.

3 minutes ago, Lord-Taco-the-Great said:

I think that last point of his was a bit of stretch, but I really do I feel like 24-48 hours may have been a good in between.

The bans used to be a lot shorter.  I'm guessing that more and more cases kept coming up to where the bans got longer.  This was mostly within the last year.  

Edited by DatDarkOne

Just now, rune_me said:

No he didn't. He got censored in a video game. Same as being told to tone it down in a restaurant. He is free to say whatever he want in his own home, hence his rights to speak are not being violated in any way shape or form.

I disagree. This would be akin to a waiter refusing to speak to you for a certain amount of time because you didn't know the restaurant didn't serve peanut butter because of allergies. People can't trade when they're banned from chat. This means they can't partake in one of the biggest aspects of Warframe. Beating down your playerbase for things unrelated to the game is not right.

41 minutes ago, Sitchrea said:

While I agree this is DE's playground, they do have rules in place with the ToS/CoC. And the issue here is on multiple occasions, corroborated by screenshots and multiple first-hand accounts and forum threads, several Chat Moderators have acted against the ToS/CoC. Even so far as simply calling other players Idiots and PoS'. That alone is unprofessional. However this is only one instance of many different cases of abuse, and the problem is nothing has been said about it. 

No particular disagreements there, except that none of that evidence is in this thread (other than an hour-long video). If it's important, compile it into a post and send it to support. If they don't respond to your satisfaction, leave. (As an example, I found Destiny 2 to be a woefully inadequate excuse of a game. I made some posts about it, but it became clear that they weren't going to do anything about it, so I left and will never be back).

Again, I'm not saying people shouldn't complain about this if they believe in it. DE is remarkably open and accepting of input. But--as we said and you agreed--hysterical posting acting as if this is a crime against humanity is not appropriate.

The chat filter auto-banning people is just a symptom of the larger issue, and it's a larger issue that DE isn't addressing beyond a Bungie-style, "we're listening." And we all know how that's been working out for Bungie.

I don't have a problem with auto-banning. It's not permanent, and it gets the point across. Some of the terms could use some work, perhaps, but the "it's a meme" is bullS#&$, and those people deserve to be banned. Either they don't know what they are saying, or they know and don't care. Niger being a bannable term is a thing, but I can't imagine that word will come up a bunch in general chat. Those times can be handled by support if they aren't being choked by "It's a meme!" complaints.

2 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

The bans used to be a lot shorter.  I'm guessing that more and more cases kept coming up to where the bans got longer.  This was mostly within the last year.  

Watch the video in the OP. It was the Chat Moderators who convinced DE to increase the scope and time of the bot. This is the real reason we're in this pickle - corrupt Chat Moderators.

8 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

If the penalties are harsh, then you're less likely to repeat them.  Simple and straight to the point with fewer chances of repeats.  

This is not to say that it couldn't be tweaked a bit.  

4 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

The bans used to be a lot shorter.  I'm guessing that more and more cases kept coming up to where the bans got longer.  This was mostly with the last year.  

How can someone receive a one week ban for telling a joke using a hateful word when

someone with the name "friendzoningmisandrist" can become a region chat mod with a hatefull word in their name?

Edited by Cibyllae

Just now, Sitchrea said:

I disagree. This would be akin to a waiter refusing to speak to you for a certain amount of time because you didn't know the restaurant didn't serve peanut butter because of allergies. People can't trade when they're banned from chat. This means they can't partake in one of the biggest aspects of Warframe. Beating down your playerbase for things unrelated to the game is not right.

Still has nothing to do with loosing your right to speak. Freedom of speech means being able to say what you want without being arrested or persecuted by your government. It has nothing to do with what happens inside a privately owned restaurant or an online community.

6 minutes ago, Sitchrea said:

He got his right to speak taken away by telling a joke... Sounds like 1984 to me.

No, he got the right to occupy private property removed by being offensive. Sounds like the free market to me.

1 minute ago, Sitchrea said:

no, its more like the waiter refusing to serve you because you called someone next table the N-word, or made loud joke that everyone heard about how all women are the C-word. 

3 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

If the penalties are harsh, then you're less likely to repeat them.  Simple and straight to the point with fewer chances of repeats.  

The thing is that I do not get any notification as to why I get banned, and honestly, being someone who's really active in trading chat, I'd actively avoid getting banned even for several hours.

Are you guys really trying to normalize this absurd rules and behavior?? This might be their game but I'm their customer and I demand for a clear explanation as how I get this kind of treatment. If you were, say, going to a restaurant and get kicked out just because you have a friendly banter with your friend without the owner at least giving you a proper explanation before they kicked you and banned you from entering their restaurant, would that sit well on you?

Because I feel that as a customer, I was robbed of my rights without being given a proper explanation and that to me is infuriating.

1 minute ago, Cibyllae said:

How can someone receive a one week ban for telling a joke using a hateful word when

someone with the name "friendzoningmisandrist" can become a chat mod with a hatefull word in their name?

I don't understand what you mean with asking "how"?

Because someone with that name was recruited by DE to be a mod. And because the bot is programmed to ban people for a week for using a hateful word.

That's how.

1 hour ago, Sitchrea said:

Can you give an example? I've never submitted a support ticket about something like this before.

Want a screenshot or a general description of the situation?

Wait, my first question would be: "Is it even legal to post such things on this forum?"

3 minutes ago, rune_me said:

I don't understand what you mean with asking "how"?

Because someone with that name was recruited by DE to be a mod. And because the bot is programmed to ban people for a week for using a hateful word.

That's how.

As long as we establish that DE recruits people with hateful speech in their names and bans players for hateful speech, and that having that be par for the course is fine.

Edited by Cibyllae

14 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Not if you don't know why you were punished, which is the current situation.

6 minutes ago, WindBlade said:

no, its more like the waiter refusing to serve you because you called someone next table the N-word, or made loud joke that everyone heard about how all women are the C-word. 

Or, you got kicked out of a restaurant for saying you're from Niger, or for saying that you're homosexual using a more common word. Oh, and you weren't made aware that such words would get you kicked out of the restaurant.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

3 minutes ago, Crucafix said:

Are you guys really trying to normalize this absurd rules and behavior?? This might be their game but I'm their customer and I demand for a clear explanation as how I get this kind of treatment. If you were, say, going to a restaurant and get kicked out just because you have a friendly banter with your friend without the owner at least giving you a proper explanation before they kicked you and banned you from entering their restaurant, would that sit well on you?

There wouldn't be much you could do about it, though. The owner of a restaurant is free to kick you out if he /she wants to.

Of course that may violate your consumer rights. I'm sure there are instances/agencies for consumer rights in your country you could complain to if that was the case.

2 minutes ago, Cibyllae said:

As long as we establish that DE recruits people with hateful speech in their names and bans players for hateful speech, and that having that be par for the course is fine.

Who said it was fine? I merely answered your question of "how". 

I can not tell you why DE hires who they hire or have the rules they have.

10 minutes ago, Crucafix said:

The thing is that I do not get any notification as to why I get banned, and honestly, being someone who's really active in trading chat, I'd actively avoid getting banned even for several hours.

Because I feel that as a customer, I was robbed of my rights without being given a proper explanation and that to me is infuriating.

Since you went the "customer" route, I will too.  

I also am a customer.  How is it then that I can be active in both ingame chat and on forums for over two years and not get banned once?  What makes you any more special or deserving than I am?  

I used simple common sense, and try to be respectful in chat and on the forums.  Do you do the same?  If you did then you wouldn't have been banned for a week.  

Your "I am the customer" claim doesn't absolve you of being responsible for your actions and words.  

Edited by DatDarkOne

6 minutes ago, Crucafix said:

Are you guys really trying to normalize this absurd rules and behavior?? This might be their game but I'm their customer and I demand for a clear explanation as how I get this kind of treatment. 

Are you really trying to normalize and justify speech that EVEN TO THIS DAY is getting people beaten and killed? 

You can demand whatever you want. No one--DE, or anyone else--is required to provide it. And you already know how you got this kind of treatment. Don't use those words and you won't have this problem. Is it really that difficult for you to manage? 

1 minute ago, rune_me said:

There wouldn't be much you could do about it, though. The owner of a restaurant is free to kick you out if he /she wants to.

Of course that may violate your consumer rights. I'm sure there are instances/agencies for consumer rights in your country you could complain to if that was the case.

And that's what I'm doing right now; I'm trying to at least get an explanation as why did I get treated like that; i.e nobody gave me an notification as to what are the reason I get banned. And honestly, getting told in the support that "it is just how it is", isn't an satisfactory explanation.

2 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Since you went the "customer" route, I will too.  

I also am a customer.  How is it then that I can be active in both ingame chat and on forums and not get banned once?  What makes you any more special or deserving than I am?  

I used simple common sense, and try to be respectful in chat and on the forums.  Do you do the same?  If you did then you wouldn't have been banned for a week.  

Your "I am the customer" claim doesn't absolve you of being responsible for your actions and words.  

So choosing not to mention the name of a particular country is just common sense, right? That's the problem with hidden rules where the use of common words is a banable offense. It is not just a matter of common sense.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n