Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Naramon sucks

Telogor

Naramon is a focus school that's built entirely around melee, but fails to do much of anything useful.  Taking away invisibility on melee crits (and the passive crit chance increase) hamstrung the entire school and made it pretty much worthless.

• Affinity Spike is nice, but its only use is farming for more focus points.
  • Power Spike is necessary for anyone maining melee right now, but after the melee changes, it will be pretty much worthless.  In any event, Power Spike should have been a part of the regular melee system, not bound to Naramon.
  • Void Stalker is utterly awful.  Having to sit in Void Mode for 5 seconds to build up an extra 50% melee crit chance is bad enough, but 5 seconds is enough for your combo to reset (or decay with Power Spike).  Furthermore, it sharply limits how long you can use Void Mode by consuming a lot of extra energy.  To seal its fate as a waste of Focus, it punishes you for ranking it, as it consumes even more energy with higher ranks.
  • Void Hunter is the worst, as it costs energy to do what you already could with a codex scanner.  It's interesting as part of a stealth playstyle, but really, nobody uses stealth in serious missions.
  • Executing Dash is the best thing that's exclusively Naramon, but it's awkward to use.  Void Dash's ragdoll is amazing CC, so it's not very helpful to sacrifice CC to open enemies to finishers.  Its awkwardness is made even worse by Mind Sprint, as with a maxed Mind Sprint, you're going way to far with the dash to hop back into your frame and use the Finishers.
  • Surging Dash is amazing to increase the AoE of Void Dash, but its damage increase is laughable.  It'd also be nice to equip this without Executing Dash to use the CC of Void Dash to its fullest extent.
  • I could use Disorienting Blast, but why would I when I can use Irradiating Disarm, Chaos, Hallowed Ground, or Reckoning for the same effect, but better?
  • I could also use Disarming Blast, but why would I when I can use Disarm?
  • Mind Step is great for quality of life, but 30% is a little low for how much focus it costs.  It's also a waybound, so it's best just to unbind it and use it with literally any other Focus school.
  • Mind Sprint is great for quality of life.  However, it's a waybound, so it's best just to unbind it and use it with literally any other Focus school.  It also actively works against Executing Dash by lengthening Void Dash so much, making it difficult to use the Dash-Transfer-Execute combo.

Now, I have a few suggestions on how to make Naramon competitive with all the rest of the Focus schools:

• Affinity Spike: passively increases base damage of melee weapons by 5/8/11/14/17/20 %
  • Power Spike: (alongside the melee rework) Loses its current effect.  Decreases combo thresholds by 10/20/30/40 %.  Increases heavy attack damage by 5/10/15/20 %
  • Void Hunter: takes Void Stalker's place on the Focus tree.  Loses its current effect.  Passively increases base status chance of melee weapons by 4/6/8/10 %, additive.  On leaving Void Mode, the next 1/2/3/4 attacks gain 4/6/8/10 % status chance (additive) for every second spent cloaked.  Consumes 2 additional energy per second.  Focus cost increases accordingly, ~400k total.
  • Void Stalker: takes Void Hunter's place on the Focus tree.  Loses its current effect.  Passively increases base crit chance of melee weapons by 4/6/8/10%, additive.  On leaving Void Mode, the next 1/2/3/4 attacks gain 4/6/8/10 % crit chance and damage (additive) for each second spent cloaked.  Consumes 2 additional energy per second.  Focus cost increases accordingly, ~800k total.
  • Executing Dash: Additionally stuns affected enemies for 2/3/4/5 s
  • Surging Dash: No longer increases the damage of Void Dash.  Affected enemies take 10/12/14/16/18/20 % additional damage from all sources for 5 s.
  • NEW NODE-- Lethal Transference: Branches off of Executing Dash.  Transferring to your Warframe within 1 s of using Void Dash teleports your Warframe to the last enemy hit by Void Dash and performs a finisher for 100/110/125/150 % damage
  • Disorienting Blast: scaling changed to 40/60/80/100 %.  Affected enemies are opened to finishers for the duration.
  • Disarming Blast: scaling changed to 25/30/40/55/75/100 %.  Increases Void Blast range by 20/28/35/41/46/50 %
Edited by Telogor

Naramon is the most lackluster out of the schools, but disorienting/disarming blast are probably two of the better ones in the school because you can use any frame and still get their effect.

I do hope they work on it to make it more desirable and have at least one meaningful use for anything outside of melee.

Edited by More-L

A couple of notes, Disorienting Blast/Disarming Blast is available to all Warframes completely free (if using the tree). So asking why use this when I could use ''X Warframe'' is kinda... unfair I guess. Yes, you could use X Warframe to do the same job, but that Warframe spends energy to perform a certain role (so you're probably using a different tree instead like Zenurik). This is a free to cast skill that can be used by any Warframe. This is especially useful on certain melee frames (that the tree obviously performs best with) that lack a high amount of CC like Valkyr and Wukong.

Dashes can also be aimed in such a way that you don't go their full distance simply by angling them slightly down. By doing this it's pretty simple to dash > execute through an enemy.

Beyond that sure, those are just a couple of things I felt worth mentioning.

Edited by DeMonkey
Goddamn, how tired am I?

I was originally a little too quick to post this.  I meant to put in suggestions, but clicked to submit the post as soon as I was done critiquing the current state of Naramon.  I fixed it now.

Edited by Telogor

1 hour ago, More-L said:

Naramon is the most lackluster out of the schools, but disorienting/disarming blast are probably two of the better ones in the school because you can use any frame and still get their effect.

I do hope they work on it to make it more desirable and have at least one meaningful use for anything outside of melee.

1 hour ago, DeMonkey said:

A couple of notes, Disorienting Blast/Disarming Blast is available to all Warframes completely free (if using the tree). So asking why use this when I could use ''X Warframe'' is kinda... unfair I guess. Yes, you could use X Warframe to do the same job, but that Warframe spends energy to perform a certain role (so you're probably using a different tree instead like Zenurik). This is a free to cast skill that can be used by any Warframe. This is especially useful on certain melee frames (that the tree obviously performs best with) that lack a high amount of CC like Valkyr and Wukong.

Yeah, but not scaling to 100% is just really really bad.  You have to make yourself vulnerable as the Operator to perform a Void Blast, and if it doesn't CC the enemy, it's completely useless.  To make matters worse, melee frames have either plenty of CC or enough tankiness that CC doesn't matter much, so your time would have been better spent killing the enemies.

1 hour ago, DeMonkey said:

Dashes can also be aimed in such a way that you don't go their full distance simply by angling them slightly down. By doing this it's pretty simple to dash > execute through an enemy.

That's rather finicky in my experience.  You need to be incredibly precise with the angle of the Void Dash.  I added something to the OP that might satisfy both of us.

Edited by Telogor

Naramon Dash can collect Kuva through walls without even seeing it.

Simply the best for Siphons.

Also amazing for skipping Maps full of enemies like Exterminate, Survival, etc since the Giant Dash AoE always gives you way more energy then you used dashing.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb (XB1)Evilpricetag:

Yea, but the passives. Not sure with melee rework, but combo multi effects Ash's clones, so keeping it up helps a bunch with practically everything he does, boost his already increased slash procs. But being the meta for a single (or couple) frames shouldn't be the point?

Same goes for Atlas and chance is that the acolythe mods will still be affected by it when they change melee....what would change nothing about its effectiveness.

15 hours ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Same goes for Atlas and chance is that the acolythe mods will still be affected by it when they change melee....what would change nothing about its effectiveness.

I'm not sure what you mean.  What's this about Acolyte mods?

I actually like the way it works. I would just do two changes to it:

+Void Hunter swap places with Void Stalker.

+Void Hunter also marking targets on the minimap like Enemy sense.

I will explain why I like it:

Naramon is currently the ONLY Focus school that actually has Stealth mechanics in mind, and for that it is really useful. Take those pipe rooms on Grineer tiles where enemies stand in line. I can Void dash on the side quickly without alerting anybody or slamming them against the wall, then switch back to frame to backstab them one by one. I can use Void Hunter to see enemies trough walls with clarity so I can make the calculations needed to make my arrows punch trough in the correct angle. The extended Dash can be used to efficiently maneuver in combat or just cover large distances, provided you know how to control it.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Telogor:

I'm not sure what you mean.  What's this about Acolyte mods?

Talking about Blood rush. That one's the mods that profits from combo the most...It's the key to most "normal" melee strategys that center around combo.

Them changing combo to only affect "heavy attacks" sounds drastic but it may as well only affect combos multiplier and leave everything else more or less unchanged for all we know, what would leave naramons effectiveness unchanged. Boost it even since crit multiplier ranks>combo multiplier imo.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

2 hours ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Talking about Blood rush. That one's the mods that profits from combo the most...It's the key to most "normal" melee strategys that center around combo.

Them changing combo to only affect "heavy attacks" sounds drastic but it may as well only affect combos multiplier and leave everything else more or less unchanged for all we know, what would leave naramons effectiveness unchanged. Boost it even since crit multiplier ranks>combo multiplier imo.

I forgot that Blood Rush was an Acolyte mod.  I was under the impression that it would be removed with the melee rework, because it's an overpowered mistake.

vor 30 Minuten schrieb Telogor:

I forgot that Blood Rush was an Acolyte mod.  I was under the impression that it would be removed with the melee rework, because it's an overpowered mistake.

Meh, mostly if combined with sliding and they're gonna solve that one with range nerfs and los appearently. That aside, it's plenty balanced for it's low range and the risk you take by provoking the wonky aggro this game has to offer....

Can't quite balance low range melee to low-mid tier high range guns without breaking it entirely and there's Condition Overload even then so i don't exactly see them removing Blood rush and/or weeping wounds from combo's effect anymore. Not even Maiming Strike in all honesty.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108