The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Heal gun?

NIkuno

So I have been thinking about this for a while and wanted to see what the community thought: would you like to see a dedicated healing gun? 

Obviously enough, there are the healing frames, weapons with various types of life-steal, and even the Sancti Magistar.

There is no dedicated healing weapon though. Would something like that be overpowered, you think? Or would the trade off of not having an offensive primary weapon make up for that?

A general concept I had in mind:

Infested spear gun that uses the Embolist's characteristics as the primary fire and releases a pulse (or pulses) on impact when thrown like the Javlok. 

EDIT: I wanted to make a TL;DR section of some of the comments for those who don't scroll through and will be updated as others comment.

There are options for self-healing, but very few that will heal others. This as a concept would help fill that very specific niche for the support players who want to use other frames, or take on a ”off-healer” type role.

Some counter-arguments:

The game is too faced paced, it could potentially outshine dedicated healers. (Both can be addressed with overall design. What is here is just a general concept)

Some other ideas suggested: 

-A geneic lifesteal mod (loses team support)

-Weapon based on other games' concepts (Mercy's staff, TF2 Medic's gun, Monday Night Combat's Support Heal/hurt gun, Killing Floor 2's Field Medic gun, Borderlands healing bullets)

-Gun that will force health orb drops when enemies are killed

-Healing type Amp

Edited by NIkuno
Added TL:DR

I mean, why would you want to even use a healing gun? As you said we already have options and they're both offensive and offer a sizeable heal. Maybe it would work as an alt fire gimmick to a gun but I don't think anyone would use it if it was just healing.

4 minutes ago, NIkuno said:

So I have been thinking about this for a while and wanted to see what the community thought: would you like to see a dedicated healing gun? 

Obviously enough, there are the healing frames, weapons with various types of life-steal, and even the Sancti Magistar.

There is no dedicated healing weapon though. Would something like that be overpowered, you think? Or would the trade off of not having an offensive primary weapon make up for that?

A general concept I had in mind:

Infested spear gun that uses the Embolist's characteristics as the primary fire and releases a pulse (or pulses) on impact when thrown like the Javlok. 

Why not, lets have a heal gun!

As tyranno said. A pure healing gun would be mostly a waste a of a weapon slot, since players have plenty of other options to recover health. Though an improvement for the health pick ups is still in need, since i find them horrible unreliable both in their drop rate aswell as their health value.

A gun that can switch between harming and healing or has a healing alt fire however. Sure why not?

2 minutes ago, Othergrunty said:

As tyranno said. A pure healing gun would be mostly a waste a of a weapon slot, since players have plenty of other options to recover health. Though an improvement for the health pick ups is still in need, since i find them horrible unreliable both in their drop rate aswell as their health value.

A gun that can switch between harming and healing or has a healing alt fire however. Sure why not?

A gun tbat drops healing orbs would be sick. 

Considering there are some, like me, who normally doesn't even use a primary in favour of melee or a secondary that is more than capable, A heal gun would be nice, or atleast a weapon with healing options that can support the team, you can shoot your teammates to heal them, or shoot enemies for lifesteal like the hema, or even just have a passive mentioned above where enemies killed by the weapon can drop a health orb.

Edited by (XB1)calvina

6 minutes ago, (PS4)big_eviljak said:

You mean like the broken scepter?

10 minutes ago, Othergrunty said:

Equinox Prime's signature primary. It would be quite useful to say, send out a healing bubble of sorts that heals for 10% (or higher) of the targeted enemy's health. It would be quite cool.

Just now, tyranno66 said:

I mean, why would you want to even use a healing gun? As you said we already have options and they're both offensive and offer a sizeable heal. Maybe it would work as an alt fire gimmick to a gun but I don't think anyone would use it if it was just healing.

Fair question. I like to play a "support" role, but not all of the support type frames have a heal ability, or difficult to utilize well *cough* chakram *chough*. Or I use frames to change it up, or someone is using the frame already...

I use the Vazarin School for the same reason, but I thought it would be neat to have a gun. I, personally, like to have that utility.

6 minutes ago, Othergrunty said:

Also not a bad idea. I just wanted to see what others thought of the idea. How it actually works and how balanced it would be is, well, up to the devs.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)big_eviljak said:

I was thinking something like the Mutalist Quanta orbs, myself.

4 minutes ago, NocheLuz said:

Hema : Are you talking about me?

Only applies to yourself, right? Not exactly useful to the rest of the team, not to mention the cost.

2 minutes ago, (XB1)calvina said:

Considering there are some, like me, who normally doesnt even use a primary in favour or melee or a secondary that is more than capable, A heal gun would be nice, or atleast a weapon with healing options that can support the team, you can shoot your teammates to heal them, or shoot enemies for lifesteal like the hema, or even just have a passive mentioned above where enemies killed by the weapon can drop a health orb.

Exactly. This guy gets it.

Why not just make it a mod for a specific weapon type...or mods for types...that makes it so you heal allies X amount when your bullets hit them?  There isn't any friendly fire unless rad proc.  Tbh, though, I don't know how many would actually use a mod slot up for this sort of thing.

--edit--

Unless maybe...it increased toxin damage or something...  Like, it poisons enemies and heals allies.

Edited by Nighttide77

9 minutes ago, Nighttide77 said:

...that makes it so you heal allies X amount when your bullets hit them? ... Tbh, though, I don't know how many would actually use a mod slot up for this sort of thing.

Healing bullets would probably work, but it would not be my first choice. The main idea behind what I suggested is that it has a self-heal option, not just a "heal your teammates" option. That is a key part of the idea, honestly.

And I agree that making it a mod choice is not a good idea. I would rather plan around not having an offensive weapon rather than neutering an otherwise capable primary weapon.

Oh! Here is an idea:

If anyone else has played Monday Night Combat, it could be like the Support's heal/hurt gun (that is literally the class name and his primary weapon). Primary fire heals using a tether beam (think Mercy from Overwatch or Medic from Team Fortress) and consumes ammo, while alt-fire drains enemy health and regens ammo (ammo idea is instead of the infinite duration of those weapons).

Again, just tossing out ideas to have a discussion. 

4 minutes ago, Fishyflakes said:

Sancti Magistar's Charge Attack is a 15m AoE healing gun.

Wouldn’t exactly call it a gun... And I have also tried to use it for this very purpose and found it to be really slow, not very reliable, and has a bugged passive, according to the wiki.

Wouldn't be for everyone like others have already pointes out, but would be loved by the support players like myself.

I can see the potential of an alt-fire having a heal option, possibly in conjunction with the gun building a pool of healing energy to be used with the more damage done by regular fire.  I mean, hell we could go the full monty and have the gun be chroma-like, where the different energy color used acts like either a different minor buff or a heal.  When i say buff i mean like a boost to shields or armor, not damage because that would be a little too broken if played right.

5 minutes ago, Zetas117 said:

I can see the potential of an alt-fire having a heal option, possibly in conjunction with the gun building a pool of healing energy to be used with the more damage done by regular fire.  I mean, hell we could go the full monty and have the gun be chroma-like, where the different energy color used acts like either a different minor buff or a heal.  When i say buff i mean like a boost to shields or armor, not damage because that would be a little too broken if played right.

Also not a bad option. Kind of like the Hysterix at that point. Lots of options to be had.

1 minute ago, (PS4)RockGotti said:

The game is too fast paced with too many variables to warrant a "heal gun". Waste of time

I agree with the pace being an issue, which is why I threw out the cone-beam and AoE pulse functions as a general idea.

Casting Blessing when out of range is a waste of time. Casting Renew when everyone runs away is a waste of time. Casting Blazing Chakram is a waste of time. Waiting for Mend to build up is a waste of time. Trying to hit mobs with the Sancti Magistar is a waste of time.

It all depends on how and when it is used. Try to be a little more specific.

1 minute ago, TheQuagmire said:

You can have a heal-gun 

Primary takes life, secondary fire gives life. 

Could make it energy chain based

I would really like to see the chains like the Ferrox has. It would pretty impressive, I think.

2 hours ago, NIkuno said:

I do. Never said it was a perfect idea. Suggestions, then?

It was just an example of lots of already present healing/tanking abilities for a single frame.

I would not oppose a gun capable of healing an ally, sucking shields away from enemies and distributing it to allies. It would just be very different from anything we already have. Which can be good, or theme-breaking. Effects like that are currently reserved to warframe abilities and pizzas.