Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remove Void Defense Lasers

LennyFace

The laser consoles surrounding the payload in void defense missions (like Belenus) are awful. 

New players fire them because they don't know better, and take out their team. Or they fire them because they panic and think, "Oh hey, a cool laser to take down the enemies," and take out their own team. Then they jump in front and get insta-gibbed. Older players use them to troll EVERYONE and take out their teammates, and not resurrect them.

The lasers aren't that effective against enemies at higher levels anyways. It takes 2-3 swipes to take out heavy gunners and bombards, and they are completely ineffective against nullifiers. Yet for some reason, they can take out almost any frame instantly. The only frames I've found immune to them is rhino with iron skin and harrow with invulnerability, and that's INSANE. 

Even Valkyr Prime (3000 armor + 600 HP) and Inaros (400 armor and 4000 HP) go down in one hit. 

The lasers don't take down enemies as well as a warframe, but gib warframes, and can and ARE used to troll teammates. I've been gibbed more times than I can count just trying to play defense and have fun (i.e. not stand on the payload and spam saryn or banshee). 

If what's desired is a 'panic button' players can use to lower the number of enemies, or protect the payload a little more, then there are better ways of doing this. Make the lasers shoot frost to slow down/freeze enemies, make the button banish the payload so it cant get hurt for a few seconds, make the laser not gib your own teammates, have the button trigger a knockdown wave, even just temporarily blinding the enemies. 

I wouldn't be so bothered but the lasers are being abused, and since there's on in each direction and you dont hear them fire or see them unless you're watching them, it's really easy to get hit if you're not standing right on the payload. Today I ran into a guy who was salty for some reason and kept knocking me down, because I was playing trinity, and he didn't want me to keep the other players up. The other guys were new and went to res me and got hit by the laser. Eventually we all had to stand on point and wait for the wave to be over to leave, because of one guy. We reported him for harassment, but since it's a general report and no specifics, and we can't just kick people from games, I wanted to make a forum post. 

PLEASE change this mechanic or remove it. It's just not worth having.

At the very least players should be immune to it. I've lost count of the amount of times I've turned one on to clear a group of enemies only for a random to jump straight into the laser. As far as the lasers themselves go, they are handy to have for a quick clear of low level enemies or as additional damage to high level enemies. 

10 minutes ago, sixmille said:

That's not a bad idea, they really only serve one purpose, which is supercharging rhino's iron skin, but it's not like it really matters. In practice it makes no difference, it won't kill anything.

That and instantly maxing Harrow's Crit Bonus, but again, it doesn't really matter.

• 1 month later...

They served a purpose when weapons and frames were not as powerful as they are now.  But I don't really see there being a reason to get of them.  So a newbie hits the button once in a blue moon, its fine in my books.  I tell them to stop, and if they don't then I trigger it on them.

On 2018-08-27 at 8:11 PM, Insizer said:

They served a purpose when weapons and frames were not as powerful as they are now.  But I don't really see there being a reason to get of them.  So a newbie hits the button once in a blue moon, its fine in my books.  I tell them to stop, and if they don't then I trigger it on them.

And you can text players in over 300 languages?

A lot of times i say stop using lasers and noob keeps using lasers leading to missionfail and at exit screen confused noob texts in mandarin or russian or japanese or well you get the idea?

So my stance is remove lasers.

On 2018-07-13 at 4:41 PM, LennyFace said:

The laser consoles surrounding the payload in void defense missions (like Belenus) are awful. 

New players fire them because they don't know better, and take out their team. Or they fire them because they panic and think, "Oh hey, a cool laser to take down the enemies," and take out their own team. Then they jump in front and get insta-gibbed. Older players use them to troll EVERYONE and take out their teammates, and not resurrect them.

The lasers aren't that effective against enemies at higher levels anyways. It takes 2-3 swipes to take out heavy gunners and bombards, and they are completely ineffective against nullifiers. Yet for some reason, they can take out almost any frame instantly. The only frames I've found immune to them is rhino with iron skin and harrow with invulnerability, and that's INSANE. 

Even Valkyr Prime (3000 armor + 600 HP) and Inaros (400 armor and 4000 HP) go down in one hit. 

The lasers don't take down enemies as well as a warframe, but gib warframes, and can and ARE used to troll teammates. I've been gibbed more times than I can count just trying to play defense and have fun (i.e. not stand on the payload and spam saryn or banshee). 

If what's desired is a 'panic button' players can use to lower the number of enemies, or protect the payload a little more, then there are better ways of doing this. Make the lasers shoot frost to slow down/freeze enemies, make the button banish the payload so it cant get hurt for a few seconds, make the laser not gib your own teammates, have the button trigger a knockdown wave, even just temporarily blinding the enemies. 

I wouldn't be so bothered but the lasers are being abused, and since there's on in each direction and you dont hear them fire or see them unless you're watching them, it's really easy to get hit if you're not standing right on the payload. Today I ran into a guy who was salty for some reason and kept knocking me down, because I was playing trinity, and he didn't want me to keep the other players up. The other guys were new and went to res me and got hit by the laser. Eventually we all had to stand on point and wait for the wave to be over to leave, because of one guy. We reported him for harassment, but since it's a general report and no specifics, and we can't just kick people from games, I wanted to make a forum post. 

PLEASE change this mechanic or remove it. It's just not worth having.

Agreed..

wf2.png

this repesents safe areas and laser sightlines. Bright red zones are repesents bac of laser consoles, dark green repesents objective, light green repesents safe zones, dark red repesens laser sightline. Avoid darker red zones.

5590inciv8601029.png or stand in balcony thing like ı did right here.