Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to Avoid Toxicity in Trading

HeartPurity

1. If you WTB OR WTS, name your price if you have an expected price range e.g. WTB orthos prime 50P

Many toxic don"t wanna type the price they expect to pay, then when you tell them your price, he switches on his toxic nagging nanny mode and mock you the price on XXX website is only 10P (of course he will select the lowest price shown on the list while ignoring the highest price). If you are already so smart and do all the research about the price range of certain gear then just frankly type your offer. e.g. WTB ____ 10P,  save your time save sellers time. but no, these toxic kids decide to throw the lowest price at your face when you give them your offer. (One of the reason they don't type their offer is to catch newbie who knows nothing and sells to them at rock-bottom prices, so they are waiting to catch a big fish, but refuse the fact that it is a free market and people can sell things at different price range.) My solution is simple, put them on ignore list when they start barking. 

2. Don't waste your time linking rivens to people who advertise they WTB any trash rivens 20P each

These buyers are the sharks swimming in the free market, actually what they want is, "WTB any god riven 20P". After you take the time to link them your "unwanted" rivens, they will just tell you"not interested". Of course they are not interested because they are waiting for ignorant newbies to sell them good rivens at 20P. Thus, pls don't waste your time linking rivens to these sharks. 

I only sell occasionally in the trade chat and still often meet these toxic kids so you can imagine the toxicity in trading. 👍

I don't get what you guys have against negotiating price. IMO its one of the better things about the trade system.

If someone is buying/selling an item you have or want and you can't agree on a price then just move on. Its nobody's fault since there is not set price for any particular item.

I don't believe bartering is toxic by any means. If people are pestering your about the price then yeah you could just block them but just because you don't inherently agree on a price doesn't make it toxic.

How to trade: A guide by a very rich tenno

1) Riven rolling

2) Trade with idiots that don't know how to price what they want

3) Go farm your own parts and never pay an ounce of platinum to this garbage scamming community full or muckers.

Seriously, don't bother trying to trade in trading chat; just mute the damn thing like you did with region chat cancer and just use warframe.market like anyone else with a brain does.

You know what, I see a lot of posts like this, and this doesn't mirror my experience at all.

Sure, there are sharks, but in my experience 99% of my trades in trade chat have been fine, I don't mind negotiating, I know how much things should be, and I won't low ball anyone, or allow anyone to low ball me.

How is the second one bad? I buy trash rivens all the time. I always say wtb trash rivens and my ave price is 10p each. Am I expected to buy every single riven that someone links? No! I buy the ones I'm interested in. The ones that I might use. For example I bought a lato riven (before the vandal was even announced) I bought vasto, akmagnus,  astilla and numerous other rivens because I wanted them. Its not my fault that I say wtb trash rivens and you pm me giving me a list of rivens that I can't buy or don't want. I don't have unlimited slots and unsurprisingly you're not the only person dming me. 

I always set my prices when WTBing or WTSing, usually based on warframe.market's prices for the item. If someone makes a decent counter offer and nobody else has responded to my asking price, I'll usually just take it. Bartering is a huge pain, and I have tons of plat and other things to do.

10 minutes ago, Tricky5hift said:

I don't get what you guys have against negotiating price. IMO its one of the better things about the trade system.

If someone is buying/selling an item you have or want and you can't agree on a price then just move on. Its nobody's fault since there is not set price for any particular item.

I don't believe bartering is toxic by any means. If people are pestering your about the price then yeah you could just block them but just because you don't inherently agree on a price doesn't make it toxic.

As a businessman with normal brain, no one will block a customer just because he said "no thanks". Above is referring to mad dogs who bark and bite when you don't sell at the price they like. There was once a guy who kept on typing me long strings of meaningless alphabets just because I said "pass ty". 

Tolerate no bullS#&$.

State your prices clearly, and if someone tries to barter than give them a hard no.

If someone wants to know what precisely is on a riven, tell them that if they have to ask, they aren't interested in buying. 

1 minute ago, HeartPurity said:

As a businessman with normal brain, no one will block a customer just because he said "no thanks". Above is referring to mad dogs who bark and bite when you don't sell at the price they like. There was once a guy who kept on typing me long strings of meaningless alphabets just because I said "pass ty". 

1 minute ago, Zavenosk said:

Tolerate no bullS#&$.

State your prices clearly, and if someone tries to barter than give them a hard no.

If someone wants to know what precisely is on a riven, tell them that if they have to ask, they aren't interested in buying. 

IMO, communicating in a polite fashion over prices is the best way to avoid toxicity.

Everyone who asks about your price is an opportunity to strike a deal.

Personally, I think the real toxic people are the ones who either ignore or berate you over your price. 

There's no shame in admitting you want the most out of your item. Just saying so can prove that you're adamant about it and can decide whether or not its worth further negotiation over the price.

I always put a price in WTB or WTS.  I also don't PMO.  I don't link rivens when I specify unrolled and the MR because I usually sell alot cheaper than average, so if someone wants to see the roll on a cheap unrolled riven then they'll give you the nty when it's not a great roll.  This is how to avoid trading headaches.  Will admit I buy every prime access and accessories so I always have plat so it might be easier for me to do this.

Edited by (PS4)thowed
I hate auto correct

If the lowest price on warframe.market has 5 or 6 sellers at virtually the same price, it's not a crime to see if the seller in trade chat will be price competitive.  Believe me, the buyer isn't interested in wasting their own time talking to a toxic seller who freaks out when it's pointed out to them their price is way out of line with the rest of the market.  It's the seller's right to refuse sale to literally anyone, and to not sell often -- or at all -- if their price is too high, but if they're going to QQ on the forums about it, they shouldn't expect much sympathy.  Just my opinion on the matter.

22 minutes ago, Epsilon_Knight said:

If the lowest price on warframe.market has 5 or 6 sellers at virtually the same price, it's not a crime to see if the seller in trade chat will be price competitive.  Believe me, the buyer isn't interested in wasting their own time talking to a toxic seller who freaks out when it's pointed out to them their price is way out of line with the rest of the market.  It's the seller's right to refuse sale to literally anyone, and to not sell often -- or at all -- if their price is too high, but if they're going to QQ on the forums about it, they shouldn't expect much sympathy.  Just my opinion on the matter.

It is customer's right to say "No.", but is also sellers' right to say "Pass." If you don't like the price then just walk away,  but what toxic kids do is keep on nagging at us like a nanny telling us, the sellers what price should we set. When I don't agree with the price, I just say "pass, ty" and not pointing at the sellers and scream how high their price is. This is what we call courtesy and maturity. 

There was once a kid screamed at my price for being too high for something 100 P (I don't really remember the price so just an example), what I did is I tell him 200 P and block him before he can bark. LOL 

2 hours ago, (PS4)EpICFreeDoMZz said:

How is the second one bad? I buy trash rivens all the time. I always say wtb trash rivens and my ave price is 10p each. Am I expected to buy every single riven that someone links? No! I buy the ones I'm interested in. The ones that I might use. For example I bought a lato riven (before the vandal was even announced) I bought vasto, akmagnus,  astilla and numerous other rivens because I wanted them. Its not my fault that I say wtb trash rivens and you pm me giving me a list of rivens that I can't buy or don't want. I don't have unlimited slots and unsurprisingly you're not the only person dming me. 

Call me crazy but the term trash doesn't apply when you are looking for something specific even if you aren't entirely sure going in what you want.  Buying trash prime parts for 10p or whatever is the same way.

I set my prices to the lowest current price on warframe.market and I do not haggle unless I'm feeling generous and the person is polite about it. I know it will sell eventually if I list it this way.  Most buyers don't even ask if the price is already the cheapest on the market.    I don't really see the appeal of using trade chat at all, ever.

Edited by Johnny5five

37 minutes ago, Epsilon_Knight said:

and ya I don't care about things like, "people don't sell at this price",  "there is another seller who sells cheaper", "the price in market is blah blah blah". Then just go buy from others instead of nagging me what price I should set. If you wanna get a discount, learn to say it nicely, "can i have a discount pls?", "Can it be a bit cheaper pls?" "Can you pls sell me at___?" Most of the time sellers are willing to make a discount if you talk nicely, but not by jumping on a table and point your fingers at the sellers' nose.  This again is called courtesy and maturity. 

11 minutes ago, Johnny5five said:

Call me crazy but the term trash doesn't apply when you are looking for something specific even if you aren't entirely sure going in what you want.  Buying trash prime parts for 10p or whatever is the same way.

I set my prices to the lowest current price on warframe.market and I do not haggle unless I'm feeling generous and the person is polite about it. I know it will sell eventually if I list it this way.  Most buyers don't even ask if the price is already the cheapest on the market.    I don't really see the appeal of using trade chat at all, ever.

I don't go in looking for a specific riven either. I go in I see what people have and I buy what I think looks good. As for prime parts the only time you ever really buy trash of those are for ducats so you're never looking for anything specific just any old parts. As for prices I set mine at what I'm willing to pay for it. I only ever use the 3rd party websites as a rough estimate since I know that won't truly show what its going for on trade as it fluctuates daily. 

3 hours ago, HeartPurity said:

I only sell occasionally in the trade chat and still often meet these toxic kids so you can imagine the toxicity in trading

I'll never understand why a post about other players being toxic usually includes making assumptions about them or trying to portray them as unimportant.

Interesting topic, as just a month back, I came across a player who was looking to buy any riven of a specific type for 20p, and then I messaged and linked the riven, and that person said no thanks....... It has no roll attempts and is a crappy mod, hence why I tried to sell it right away (I usually just give them away to clanmates who would take it, but not even they would take it, lol), but nope, lol. Though things did not get toxic. Toxicity only occurs when one tries to get defensive or try to argue into a situation that can be avoided by simply just not replying back. A situation somewhat like Jessica Price........

That sounds like a internet problem in general, For instance, 98% of these players cant even build there own frame without looking at someone else's build or ideas on the subject, Or skip even further than that, they cant even add properly without their smart phone. Knowing that, i wouldn't expect much from them and just be pleasantly surprised if they are on somewhat of the same intellect or brain-wave as you are. 

The way I tend to operate is if I see someone posting items without a price I dont bother  with them. These people in my experience want top dollar for their stuff, even if others are spamming the same items for sometimes hundreds of pl less.

Also, if I see people posting ridiculously overpriced items I put them on ignore, simply to try to reduce chat spam on my end. The thing I don't understand about these individuals is they post let's say ember prime for 200pl maybe seconds after someone else post it for 120, yet they continue to spam it for 200pl..I just don't get it.

For me personally if you don't post a price it's an automatic no go, and if you post a ridiculous price it's ignore.

13 minutes ago, (XB1)IntrepidProdigy said:

A little off topic but still kinda on topic, but how do you hotlink a mod in chat without it showing that it’s fully ranked in the link? I keep running into issues when trading with people thinking I was trying to sell them a fully ranked mod

riven will show exactly the rank of it in link, but other mods will be shown maxed but normally people will ask you first if they expect it to be maxed mod. If it is not mentioned, it is a common understanding that it is not maxed. Thus, don't need to bring down your price just because a buyer complaint about your price when you are already in dojo trading with him. Who's know, maybe it is his almighty trick to cut down price. 

I met some buyers before who believe in this trick but these are rare cases, they will cut down your price during the trading window, e.g. we deal at 100P but when you trade with him in dojo, he put 80P there,and start spitting cowdung why you should sell at 80P. For this kind of cheap people, what I do is typing him "learn to keep your promise" and block him right away. 👍

24 minutes ago, (XB1)IntrepidProdigy said:

A little off topic but still kinda on topic, but how do you hotlink a mod in chat without it showing that it’s fully ranked in the link? I keep running into issues when trading with people thinking I was trying to sell them a fully ranked mod

just to mention I am on PC though just in case "common understanding" is different over there for XB

4 hours ago, HeartPurity said:

1. If you WTB OR WTS, name your price if you have an expected price range e.g. WTB orthos prime 50P

2. Don't waste your time linking rivens to people who advertise they WTB any trash rivens 20P each

Regarding #1, I WTB/WTS without prices on just rivens. Sometimes i don't know the current price so i go fishing in trade chat. Rivens are hard enough to determine a price for and even more difficult to avoid getting overpriced since everyone thinks they are selling/buying to/from the richest tenno with 10k plat just sitting there.

As far as selling anything else, then I go by the lowest selling price on warframe.market -10p or highest buying price +10p. This way I get a solid easy trade. I would also allow another -10p when bartered for. When buying, I don't even bother with trading chat because it is way too time consuming. I head straight for warframe.market and buy there.   

Regarding #2, good tip. Will do. Iv'e tried it a bunch of times but as expected, you do all the work and they get all the power. Not my style of trade at all. Complete waste of time (for both parties most of the time). 

1 hour ago, (PS4)EpICFreeDoMZz said:

I don't go in looking for a specific riven either. I go in I see what people have and I buy what I think looks good. As for prime parts the only time you ever really buy trash of those are for ducats so you're never looking for anything specific just any old parts. As for prices I set mine at what I'm willing to pay for it. I only ever use the 3rd party websites as a rough estimate since I know that won't truly show what its going for on trade as it fluctuates daily. 

You still find people that want to pick and choose what prime parts they want for that 10p.  I don't think "trash" is being used properly in your case then. Maybe it is, I don't know.  Something like,  "I'm looking for a random riven that might interest me, this is the amount I'm willing to spend.  If you just want to get rid of something for cheap  show me what you got."    But even then you'll have people who label you as someone trying to take advantage of people that don't know any better.

Edited by Johnny5five

When I sell, I always list the price so I don't get whispers offering really low offers. When I buy, I never buy from someone who does not list a price b/c those sellers are almost always trying to scam unaware people.

Edited by iuki.