The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How can I protect myself from fake plat?

AcidYT

1 hour ago, Voltage said:

This is very hard to judge. Plenty of legitimate players are low Mastery. I have noticed more and more Riven Traders are less than MR 15. Mastery Rank 2-5 often buy many Prime sets. The only way to really protect yourself is through support, but with response time, it might be too late.

This isn't quite correct.  Mastery Rank 2-5 players can't buy most Prime sets because they are mastery locked.  I just had this very thing stop my mr7 alt from buying Helios Prime yesterday.  

Then you also aren't going to see any under mr 5 with rivens as Sorties are mr locked as well as quest locked.  

I'm seeing a lot of posts of people selling to single players for four digits worth of plat... and I'm just sitting here like, "The hell y'all selling to each other that's worth hundreds of real life money dollars?!" I think the most I ever spent in Trade was, I'unno, 200? 250? For a complete set for Tigris Prime.

10 minutes ago, ClayReaper said:

Maybe this is a ps4 thing but as a pc tenno, what is fake plat??

Platinum that has been purchased illegitnately. Sorting birds plat and then contact their bank to charge it back, thus causing the plat to be removed from the game

2 hours ago, RobWasHere said:

Pay for plat with credit card then cancel the operation using the chargeback procedure. Your credit card get money back, but plat you bought gets removed - anybody that got that plat from you through trading can go negative and that trigger autoban.

Yeah but I don’t think that would work cuz you can’t refund on Xbox 

The more you spend the more you investigate.

If you get a big paymen of plat, as hard as it will be, avoid spending it until at least a month.

Make sure you have some platinum in reserves. EG say you got 1000 platinum from a trade, you spend 1010 platinum, Nothing in reserves? bang in negative platinum, banned. Spend 1010 but had 30 in resreves? Yea you're down to 20 plat but you're good.

16 minutes ago, FillyRarity said:

If you get a big paymen of plat, as hard as it will be, avoid spending it until at least a month.

The problem is that chargebacks vary from location to location. Some places only allow it within 30 days other locations allow it for up to 6+ months. 

So there is no real good timeframe where you can be sure that the plat you recieved isn't going to be part of a chargeback

16 minutes ago, FillyRarity said:

Make sure you have some platinum in reserves. 

Unfortunately having a reserve is pretty much the only way of being sure you won't end up on the receiving end of a negative plat ban at the moment but because of the difference in chargeback rules/laws even safe plat might not be as safe as it appears. 

Edited by Oreades

1 minute ago, Oreades said:

The problem is that chargebacks vary from location to location. Some places only allow it within 30 days other locations allow it for up to 6+ months. 

So there is no real good timeframe where you can be sure that the plat you recieved isn't going to be part of a chargeback

Unfortunately having a reserve is pretty of known safe plat is about the only way you can ever be sure tho even "safe" plat can be less safe than it appears. 

Oh I meant my comment as not single steps, but like... step by step. have a reserve, wait, be wary if you're selling large plat.

6 hours ago, Pooroldude said:

Minimize your risk by trading with high mr or high playtime players.

Having a high investment of time in the game deters such acts.

However in many cases there are always some outliers.

Unless it's a hacked account, I don't know if DE counts that as "fake plat" or not

10 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

And that right there is a reason why I dont understand people who are against a possible Steam-only solution to platinum purchases. Valve can pretty much do the exact same as Sony and M$. The three "platforms" work so very much alike in that regard.

Well that would either reduced the profit gain by DE or increased plat price since steam will also get a cut... also this would mean that others non steam warframe player would be in trouble. 

12 hours ago, rune_me said:

Which is only true for PC, since on console you buy your plat through the console market. And while DE may not have the resource to look into a chargeback, Sony and Microsoft does and will. Which means that if your try to issue a chargeback, MS will just contact your bank and say "hey, no can do, you client received his purchase and here is the proof." Which will cancel your chargeback.

Usually Sony in particular will actually ban your account if you do any type of chargeback, legit or not. Theres no calling to argue, everything you own will taken away.

Which I why I never attach a CC to an acct and try to buy physical whenever I can. Too much power. A buddy once lost all his games bc someone reported his ID for having ishartallrainbows. Shart was offensive..

This is bc Sony doesnt have the capabilities to change IDs. Sony eventually found a workaround, and credited a new acct his stuff a week later, after many complaints, but he lost all his progress on everything bc of a name he thought up when he was 13 lol.

14 hours ago, Logan_Burns2 said:

Once you have acquired plat, immediately invest in items that can be traded. This is the only solution I can think of as support can track the plat and deduct that from the account of the player who has it, but if you trade it immediately for assets, they cannot take your assets from you. You will be screwing someone over if you have shady plat, but you will be protected for the most part. Invest in arcanes, rivens, rare mods and primed parts. When you need the plat, sell them. 

This is sadly the only way to go. DE's way of handling "bad plat" is horrible and ends up hurting the players instead of healing the corruption. In the end I don't see the point of this witch hunt, every piece of plat ever traded was initially charged by DE. They've got their share. Lack of control of economic changes shouldn't be blamed on players.

You can't. Everyone here has some nice suggestions but in the end none of them can protect you from a flawed system that willingly punishes legitimate players. Just have to accept that if you get plat off players too often eventually you will be banned.

1 hour ago, Roett said:

You can't. Everyone here has some nice suggestions but in the end none of them can protect you from a flawed system that willingly punishes legitimate players. Just have to accept that if you get plat off players too often eventually you will be banned.

Could you not take legal action if something like that happens?